Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4055114 - 12/23/14 07:23 PM Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi all,

The title says it all.

Where's the cheapest internet site to buy TrackIR 5 pro from?

Thanks,
Stefnuts

P.S. I just went to newegg and it didn't show there!

#4055275 - 12/24/14 02:52 AM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Try Amazon.com. Just saw one there (new) for $148.00

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4055465 - 12/24/14 03:08 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Hauksbee]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi,

Thanks

What's the deal with the Pro clamp or whatever that thing is
that goes on a persons headset?

Is that even needed?

I thought that the TrackIR 5 was enough.....that and the throttle & Joystick of course.

Stefnuts

#4055510 - 12/24/14 04:40 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Stefnuts
Hi, What's the deal with the Pro clamp or whatever that thing is
that goes on a persons headset? Is that even needed?

Not only needed, but essential. The widget that's perched on your monitor projects three Infra-Red beams. The Pro Clip that's attached to your headset reflects them back and tells TrackIR which way your head is turning.

Look at the screenie below. When you launch TrackIR, you'll get this UI. As you move your head, the white cross-hairs in the center will move correspondingly. The three "head icons" on the right will too. When you have it calibrated to your satisfaction, you shrink the screen down to the Task Bar, launch WOFF and fly.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4055522 - 12/24/14 05:17 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Hauksbee]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Wow!

Thanks.

So then The TrackIR 5 pro by itself isn't enough!

You need the headpiece.

Yeah the price just went up $30.......I can buy the set for $170 on the company's website.

Amazon is a tad overpriced.

Thanks,
Stefnuts

#4055537 - 12/24/14 05:50 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
Octavious Offline
Octavious  Offline

Pro is what includes the extra clip.

This is the standard TrackIR 5 that just comes with a reflector clip that you can connect to a hat or headphones.
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/
149.95 retail

TrackIR PRO includes the TrackClip Pro (The IR clip)
169.95 currently from the official site.

Unless you grab a used one on Ebay I doubt you will find a super cheap price. There's really no incentive for them to discount it much since it's such a niche product. I mulled over getting one for years before biting the bullet. Don't regret it for a second.

Also if you play other games there are some that support it as well. Driving sims being another one that matches it very well. Euro Truck Sim 2 works great with it.

#4055930 - 12/25/14 02:22 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
Raine Online content
Raine  Online Content

New Brunswick, Canada
I did repeat searches on Kijiji until I found a guy selling off some flight sim gear including a nearly new TrackIR which he sold me for $75.

Then there's Santa. That guy's stuff is free, but the catch is that you have to be good for, like, ever!

As for the clip, I believe the basic TrackIR comes with a hat clip, a small spring-steel clip with the reflectors that attaches to any regular baseball cap. The Trackclip pro is an alternate clip that attaches to headphones instead so you don't need a hat. Wearing a hat while playing adds to the dork factor is your wife watches, but work just as well.

#4055938 - 12/25/14 02:41 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
Nothing wrong with being a happy dork

#4056012 - 12/25/14 05:30 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
RickityCrate1 Offline
RickityCrate1  Offline

Hawaii, U.S.A.
Hi, my 2 cents... FYI, I am running the latest software and using the Trackir 3 with the additional Vector software and it is working very well with WOFF. Just in case you come into an opportunity to get ahold of a Trackir 3.

#4056030 - 12/25/14 06:20 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Hi,

Thanks

What's the deal with the Pro clamp or whatever that thing is
that goes on a persons headset?

Is that even needed?

I thought that the TrackIR 5 was enough.....that and the throttle & Joystick of course.

Stefnuts

My TrackIr works fine with a hat visor clip. It was free with the TrackIr 5.
Always had planned on buying the pro clip for the headset, but still haven't felt the need to. I even use a headset when flying for sound.

#4056035 - 12/25/14 06:30 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Mr_Dirt]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: Mr_Dirt
Nothing wrong with being a happy dork

Nope, It is funny when I forget I'm wearing the hat with the hat clip.
Funniest was when I went for a pizza, wings, and beer run not knowing I had that hat on. People gave me an odd extra look at the tavern.

One of the regulars said, "I was going to ask you what you've been up to, but I can tell by your hat". He has one too...LOL. He plays racing sims.

#4056102 - 12/26/14 12:08 AM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
You can try TrackIR without the Pro-Clip first, and then add it if you have problems with the screen jumping around. It all depends on the lighting in the room. The basic clip reflects light, where the Pro-Clip has 3 little LED's that emit light and make a more certain projection to the receiver on your monitor that watches your head movement.

Cheers!

I hated TrackIR at first. Gave me a headache within an hour or so and I would sometimes lose my orientation in the sim and fly into the ground. This is a common complaint by many first time users. Now I can't imagine flying any sim without it. It is as important to me as a joystick. Just stick with it and it will become second nature very quickly.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4056288 - 12/26/14 07:48 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: KodiakJac]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Dannng!

That sounds rough man.

Look, I have my room lamp next to my monitor.

Will this "throw things off"?

I have a feeling it will.

Stefnuts

#4056312 - 12/26/14 09:32 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Dannng!

That sounds rough man.

Look, I have my room lamp next to my monitor.

Will this "throw things off"?

I have a feeling it will.

Stefnuts

You will have to play with it's placement. The key to success is ensuring the light bouncing off your reflector or the TrackIR itself is at a high angle so it cannot reflect directly back into either of the components from the other. Basic geometry applies here!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4056323 - 12/26/14 10:00 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
Prangster Offline
Prangster  Offline

UK
The track clip pro works great but it's far too fragile, I've had three break on me. I finally found this guy on ebay selling his DelanClip made from a single sheet of steel. He's in the UK but ships worldwide.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DelanClip-Moti...=item4d2a477bb9

Ian "Prangster" Jeremiah
#4056330 - 12/26/14 10:15 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

A couple of things:

First, room lamp.
I assume you mean a type of lamp that sits on an end table. If that's the case, it will cause interference. Moving it is one option, but when I had our computer in our living room it wasn't for me. Instead I lined the inside of the lampshade with aluminum foil on the side facing the computer (and therefore the TIR camera). Worked perfectly and no one ever asked about why one side of the lampshade was darker than the other.

Second, TIR5, TIR5 Pro, TIR3 Pro.
I used TIR3 Pro just fine until earlier this year when the camera went out on me. I think I first bought that unit in 2004 or 2005. Not a bad run. If you want to save some $$ there's nothing wrong with going older. BE ADVISED!!! If you go as far back as TIR3 definitely go with TIR3 Pro with the Vector clip (the spring-metal hatclip described earlier). That's what gives the complete range of motion. The main (IMO) reason for going with TIR4 or TIR5 is that they widened the camera's field of view somewhat over that of TIR3. It's a definite advantage, but also not critical if you're on a budget.

Finally, the headset clip/hatclip.
As stated, the hatclip is included, the headphone clip is optional (meaning it costs extra) and one or the other is essential...sort of. A long time ago I came up with an alternate reflector by taking three 1" styrofoam balls, cutting off about 1/3 of each of them and covering most of the remaining parts with standard reflective tape available at hardware stores, auto parts stores, hobby stores, etc. and sticking them over the reflectors on the hatclip. It increased the size of the reflections in general (allowing for making the camera less sensitive to outside interference) and also created a wider arc of reflective surface (which reduced the dead zone that can exist when you turn your head sideways to one extreme or the other, particularly on wide-screen monitors). When I upgraded this year I decided to take the next step with the reflectors, gluing the styrofoam balls directly onto an old hat (no offense, OldHat), one high on the forehead and the other two one over each of the outside corners of my eyebrows. It works great and no more visor in the line-of-sight. So yes, something to give the camera an IR light source to track is necessary. But with a little ingenuity you don't have to settle for standard issue.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4056370 - 12/27/14 01:08 AM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Prangster]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Prangster,

Thank you......All well and good however:

Do you own this item or just speculating upon it?

Not trying to be rude btw, just honest.

Stefnuts

#4056552 - 12/27/14 05:29 PM Re: Cheapest place to buy TrackIR 5 pro [Re: Stefnuts]  
Prangster Offline
Prangster  Offline

UK
Had one for the last year Stefnuts and it's great. I've got it Velcro-ed to a pair of Logitech G230 headphones and I tend to throw them around, very sturdy. The USB lead is shorter than the Natural Point one and doesn't have the pass through but it's fine for me.

And no I don't have any affiliation with the seller.

Ian "Prangster" Jeremiah

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM