Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4056155 - 12/26/14 05:28 AM Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Smartphones are too expensive. Our carrier is AT&T. We have 5 lines on our account. Only 1 line is a Smartphone owned by my son in college. The other 4 lines are flip phones (conventional phones).

Cost for our 5 lines = $218.00/month

Son's smartphone eats up about 5-7 gig's of data per month. The flips phones barely used 0.1 gig of data. For each additional smartphone we would add it would cost an additional $25-30.00 more dollars a month per line. Now its easy to see that our 10 gig/month plan would not be sufficient to handle all those smartphones ....which means the cost of our data plan would also go up ....when you do the math .... AT&T would bleed us even more.

The phone companies will have to pry my flip phone out of my cold, dead hands. And all those fancy apps they are always touting - the more apps you toss around the more likely it becomes that you'll end up using more data i suspect. If true it's a great financial plan they have in mind !

"without GPS how am i going to find my way on the road ?"

not only does this generation spend their time looking at the screen they're holding in their hands but they also forgot how to read a travel map

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4056161 - 12/26/14 06:43 AM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Haggart, smartphones don't have to eat up that much of your data allocation. Setup the smartphone(s) to utilize WiFi when it is available. The wife and I share a 2 Gig per month allocation, and we hardly use any of that at all. WiFi at the house, and WiFi at our work places handle the vast bulk of our data transfers, and there are a lot of WiFi hot spots in public places, as well. We each run a tablet that can use the 4G/3G data plan as well.

Of course, from the lad's perspective, it probably seems like "free" to him, so why should he care about how much he uses? It's probably like your penchant for free sandwiches... it probably 'taste' better to him. wink

#4056167 - 12/26/14 07:31 AM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
I've got an old Nokia that isn't even a flip-phone. I hate texting and refuse to text. If someone wants to text me, I have e-mail. If I want to take a photo, I have a camera. If I want to check something on the internet, I've got my computer. It's a telephone. You talk on it. At least, that's the way I see it.

And Haggart, I agree with you on road maps. Hardly anybody knows how to read a map or apparently even carries one anymore. Out here where I live, cellular reception is spotty. You wouldn't believe the number of people who get lost because they don't have a map. Even if they had one, I doubt they could find their way with it because it wouldn't give them step-by-step directions.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#4056181 - 12/26/14 10:37 AM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Still using a Nokia 6310i that I've been using for more than 10 years now.
2004:

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4056182 - 12/26/14 10:43 AM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I've never owned a smart anything and never will.My current mobile doesn't even have a camera and cost less than a tenner.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4056200 - 12/26/14 01:13 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
I wish I had kept my flip phone. I don't use the data stuff/smartphone stuff at all and the flip phone was a better PHONE.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4056206 - 12/26/14 01:26 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

What is he looking at? Reality? Head down and blinders on!

#4056207 - 12/26/14 01:29 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Crossed over to the darkside this past Sept. Bought Nokia Lumia Icon and just love it.
Can use it as a mobile hotspot for WiFi with my 4GLTE plan. And with 4gb/mo its great
when we go places with no WiFi. I am the hotspot then. It even gets better speed then
my cable modem.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4056209 - 12/26/14 01:41 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Alicatt]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
Still using a Nokia 6310i that I've been using for more than 10 years now.
2004:

Oooooh, very nice, ZT 260.Top man.

#4056242 - 12/26/14 04:21 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: JimK]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: JimK
Crossed over to the darkside this past Sept. Bought Nokia Lumia Icon and just love it.
Can use it as a mobile hotspot for WiFi with my 4GLTE plan. And with 4gb/mo its great
when we go places with no WiFi. I am the hotspot then. It even gets better speed then
my cable modem.

yep

I avoided the whole smartphone thing too, for much the same reason as other folks mention in here. This year, my job moved me to a different project, and it became apparent to me that additional capabilities provided by a smartphone would make doing my job easier / more efficient.

A big, unplanned for benefit is that the wife is now typically head down on her phone playing some game instead of attempting to "help" me drive while we are traveling. winkngrin

Flip phones / candy bar phones are still a good choice for many people, and if it fits ones needs, they are usually a lot less expensive to run. Different horses for different courses!

What a bunch of Luddites! biggrin

#4056243 - 12/26/14 05:06 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: CyBerkut]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Originally Posted By: JimK
my cable modem.

yep

I avoided the whole smartphone thing too, for much the same reason as other folks mention in here. This year, my job moved me to a different project, and it became apparent to me that additional capabilities provided by a smartphone would make doing my job easier / more efficient.

A big, unplanned for benefit is that the wife is now typically head down on her phone playing some game instead of attempting to "help" me drive while we are traveling. winkngrin

Flip phones / candy bar phones are still a good choice for many people, and if it fits ones needs, they are usually a lot less expensive to run. Different horses for different courses!

What a bunch of Luddites! biggrin

I rarely use my personal smart phone since I must carry my work phone 24/7. Nothing worse then
carrying 2 phones at once and they both ring at the same time. I only use my personal phone when
we go places together. Been having to carry a work phone for 18 years. Hate the damn thing even
though its a samsung heavy duty flip phone with rubberized edges.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4056517 - 12/27/14 04:01 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: vocatx]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: vocatx
I've got an old Nokia that isn't even a flip-phone. I hate texting and refuse to text. If someone wants to text me, I have e-mail. If I want to take a photo, I have a camera. If I want to check something on the internet, I've got my computer. It's a telephone. You talk on it. At least, that's the way I see it.

And Haggart, I agree with you on road maps. Hardly anybody knows how to read a map or apparently even carries one anymore. Out here where I live, cellular reception is spotty. You wouldn't believe the number of people who get lost because they don't have a map. Even if they had one, I doubt they could find their way with it because it wouldn't give them step-by-step directions.

old_simmer

LOL, we're all old, cranky men, aren't we. Damned kids with their smart phones and their GPS gadgets won't stay off my lawn!

However, I'm solidly in this camp. I never understood texting. If I really need to tell someone something I'll call them. Typing into a cellular phone so that it can send text to another cellular phone seems like an unnecessary step in the process.

The wife has a super duper smart phone that I can't seem to make work as a cell phone. Embarrassing, but it's a couple different steps using a touch screen to make a call on what is supposed to be a phone. And then the screen goes dark while one is talking on it, so then I have to figure out how to bring it back on to end the call. I own a little flip phone that doesn't do much other than make calls - though I carry it so rarely that I've misplaced it somewhere in the house.

Oh, and why is Alicatt's photo of his car mirrored? Really odd that he took a picture of his car and reversed it.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4056522 - 12/27/14 04:11 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
old_simmer

HELP I've dropped my flip phone and I can't get to it !

#4056530 - 12/27/14 04:35 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
brownba Offline
brownba  Offline

Last edited by brownba; 03/08/15 11:47 PM.
#4056537 - 12/27/14 05:02 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Son's data usage is fine - we're on a 10 gig plan and he knows how to check his usage and doesn't go over it. The reason he has Smartphone is because it helps him at the University especially with connecting with other students and TA's. Why would we go from AT&T to a family mobile plan from Walmart - I can envision the level of service and connection reliability of some Walmart plan

#4056549 - 12/27/14 05:21 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

I have had the same flip phone for the past four years it was as cheap as I could find 20 euro
It has no camera/music you cant play games on it but it does what I want from it (make calls)
I use pay as you go spend about forty euro a year on top ups.
Charge it once a week. I reckon its better then the smart phone my kids use
Why, it has never let me down I always seem to have signal in areas my kids smart phones don't have
Had the same battery for the last for years dropped it a few times. and it just keeps going
My wife and kids change phones every year. I buy them for them wont pay anymore then two hundred euro for them
I can see a use for smart phones some features are excellent satnavs internet apps etc.
But for a lot of people there just a expensive fashion accessory.

#4056550 - 12/27/14 05:23 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
brownba Offline
brownba  Offline

Sounds like you got it all under control. It's your money, waste it how you want. FYI, Family Mobile is a T-Mobile network and works well. (edit - apologies for being rude)

Last edited by brownba; 12/27/14 05:31 PM.
#4056553 - 12/27/14 05:32 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
My wife reminded me when I spoke to her earlier (on land lines, LOL) that I in fact own a smart phone and always know where it is.

She bought me this seven inch flat screen device that I installed iFly onto for navigation and instrumentation checks for the airplane, and apparently it has a slot for a SIM card. Humph, that's not going to happen. Who am I going to make a phone call to while flying an airplane?

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4056555 - 12/27/14 05:32 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Well we've got 4 lines that are flip phones so we're actually saving quite a bit of money actually brownbag and I get 15% discount on top of that because of who I work for

#4056559 - 12/27/14 05:37 PM Re: Forget Smartphones - I Still Have a Plain, Old Flip Fhone [Re: Haggart]  
brownba Offline
brownba  Offline

Haggart, I don't understand how you are saving anything. 1 smart phone and 4 flip phones for over $200 per month? That is HIGH. You are getting screwed with your plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.