Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4054963 - 12/23/14 03:11 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Could be the systems. Sometimes I stop in and there's only 2 and they're both unavailable, and sometimes I need to read through a thesis to cover all the missions. It might help to find a station that's in a conflict/civil war situation if you want combat missions.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4055367 - 12/24/14 12:11 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
I think with yesterdays server-update they`ve gone a little over the top, high demand everywhere on many goods.

Also I think ship-upgrades are a little too easy to be found, I for sure don`t want to be trade and upgrades back like it was in late Gamma versions, but now this not very challenging. Perhaps a X-Mas gift from the devs... CT

edit: as for my ship strategy, after the wipe at the start of Gamma, I stayed in my Sidey and skipped the Hauler. Equipped it with some upgrades so I could fight the AI. When I had enough money, I switched to a Cobra, which is still my ship now. I`m approaching the cost for a T6, but I`m not sure I`ll buy it, as it is a huge death-trap. My goal is getting an Asp and going exploring one day, but at my pace this might take some time.

Last edited by kilosierra; 12/24/14 12:19 PM.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#4055374 - 12/24/14 12:47 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

Apparently, hitting Esc to get into the "pause menu" does not really pause the game,

I feel your pain... wife called me to do something mid trade run, so I hit pause... got back to it later, just in time to see the fuel gauge empty, the windows icing up and my avatar gasping for air. While it sucks, I did appreciate the detail they put in with the icing of the windows as systems were shut down.

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4055401 - 12/24/14 01:38 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
That's why you can save&quit even in space. wink

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4055558 - 12/24/14 06:31 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo
I take it you guys are using the Eagle as a bounty/mission runner then? Doesn't seem to be useful as a trader with that small hold.

I'm currently usin' it as such w/ great success, but in a very limited capacity. I do however plan to go from the Eagle to the Cobra as soon as it's financially feasible.

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#4055721 - 12/24/14 11:36 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I ditched the Eagle in favour of the Adder to try to make some money with cargo runs to get the Cobra.

So far, using thrudds trade calculator, I have made a whooping 1000 credit profit from a 16-stop roundtrip jump marathon. Ugh.

I wish the galaxy map was working correctly. If anyone has any tips for a highter profit margin through trading, I'm all ears (eyes, actually smile ).

I have 130,000 credits, and need about 200,000 more for the basic Cobra.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4055731 - 12/25/14 12:04 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

Hm,

I actually thought that after yesterdays server-update trading was getting too easy, as there are many goods with high supply and high demand, but this might depend on where you are. I managed myself to get into a really dead end of Galaxy in late Gamma. So I finally searched the Galaxy map for high population systems with different economy branches close to another, finally found Avan. Was a 90 ly trip of low income, but it finally worked out. Average income is around 900 Cr./ton.

I don`t use any trade apps btw. just common sense (still hit and miss though, as things are still reversed sometimes). Extraction goes to Refinery goes to Industrial, Refinery goes to High Tech, Agri to all of them often, Industrial goes to most systems, as does High Tech. High demand is the key.

Missions also help, those easy delivery missions often have 5k Cr reward, even less risk are these where you have to get some needed stuff, reward is often double of what you get out of trade.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
W10 64
#4055734 - 12/25/14 12:18 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Brennus]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Originally Posted By: Brennus
Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo
I take it you guys are using the Eagle as a bounty/mission runner then? Doesn't seem to be useful as a trader with that small hold.

I'm currently usin' it as such w/ great success, but in a very limited capacity. I do however plan to go from the Eagle to the Cobra as soon as it's financially feasible.

I think the eagle is an excellent bounty hunter, and an undervalued item. I made alt of money out of it strictly bounty hunting.

My route was freagle - cobra.

Considering lakon next, but not sure.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4055744 - 12/25/14 12:44 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: kilosierra]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: kilosierra
Hm,

I actually thought that after yesterdays server-update trading was getting too easy, as there are many goods with high supply and high demand, but this might depend on where you are. I managed myself to get into a really dead end of Galaxy in late Gamma. So I finally searched the Galaxy map for high population systems with different economy branches close to another, finally found Avan. Was a 90 ly trip of low income, but it finally worked out. Average income is around 900 Cr./ton.

I don`t use any trade apps btw. just common sense (still hit and miss though, as things are still reversed sometimes). Extraction goes to Refinery goes to Industrial, Refinery goes to High Tech, Agri to all of them often, Industrial goes to most systems, as does High Tech. High demand is the key.

Missions also help, those easy delivery missions often have 5k Cr reward, even less risk are these where you have to get some needed stuff, reward is often double of what you get out of trade.

My problem is that the galaxy map filters still don't work for me. So I can't use any of the tools. Without them, it's pretty much guesswork. frown

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4055751 - 12/25/14 01:06 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

I don`t use them often, only to find systems exporting goods needed for missions.

yup, guesswork. As I said, search for high population communities close to each other, if there are different production lines around, youll finally find good trading routes.

As I said before, 30 ly around Avan is a place to make decent money, even with my 36 ton Cobra.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
W10 64
#4055752 - 12/25/14 01:13 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I'll look it up and see if I can reach it from my current position. I'm currently at LHS 3447.

Since none of the filters work, I can't find high population systems, either. Eravate seeems to be quite populated, though.

Guess I'll be searching the web for an inter-system trade calculator, because jumping around dozens of times, having to refuel twice, is also cutting into my profits.

The Adder being merely a gloryfied Hauler, I am not too keen on getting jumped by pirates in that bucket. smile

#4055756 - 12/25/14 01:26 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
A basic fuel scope helped me a lot to increase profit with trading by saving the need ro buy fuel. When you are starting, it 's a lot of money you save.

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#4055759 - 12/25/14 01:44 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

J,

dont knoew of your prob with your map, but I didn`t use any filter, I just scanned the map manually, watching what shows up on the system info screen. Just mousing over the stars in the map. Not very High-Tech, I know.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
W10 64
#4055954 - 12/25/14 03:20 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Started bounty hunting with my Freagle...just chasing down USS' to see what was there. Made about 30k in less than an hour, blows trading out of the water at this point!

What kind of upgrades do you suggest? Right now I'm running the Eagle stock.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4055971 - 12/25/14 03:55 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Spyder512 Offline
Spyder512  Offline

Franklinville, New Jersey
I just upgraded to the cobra from my Freagle. I honestly wouldn't waste as much money upgrading it if I could go back n do it again. Better to just grab a few things u need for now and save up for a better ship. However, if you like the Eagle and do wish to upgrade it, I'd start with the Power Generator and Distributor. Followed up by FSD, Thrusters, shield generator, and sensors. Weapons and extra utilities are user preference really... Currently using 2 gimballed pulse lasers and 2 gimballed cannons on my Cobra. Light'em up with the lasers, once shields are gone and I get in a good position, I'll throw out as many shots with the cannons as I can until it starts getting squirrely again, then its back to the lasers.

#4055978 - 12/25/14 04:08 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm heading towards a Cobra, so yeah, I probably won't spend too much on the Eagle. Any "must haves" in your opinion?

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4055980 - 12/25/14 04:21 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Spyder512 Offline
Spyder512  Offline

Franklinville, New Jersey
I had a lot of trouble with shields getting ripped apart so I'd def say shield generator, as well as the power generator and distributor. Those help you a ton. Thrusters to help escape a battle-gone-wrong faster, maybe FSD if you think you'll be traveling any long distances. Other then that, I did fairly well without getting any upgrades to sensors, but it might not be a bad idea.

#4056394 - 12/27/14 03:03 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Deacon211]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted By: Deacon211
Originally Posted By: Lancelot
I started with the Cobra and i still using it without any upgrades, with the exception of a basic fuel scoop. Making money it's coming real slow, and the lack of time to play does not help either.

Is there any tool that show good trading routes from where i am? I'm kind of tired of writing things and paper, and still almost never find something good to trade and earn some good credits.

Also, what kind of system are best to buy upgrades? I never find upgrades that seems to worth the change.

Like I just posted, this one really works well for me...

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/#

Even shows in system trades, which can be surprisingly lucrative.

Thanks Deacon for the link, i was looking something that wasn't web based, but i will have to check it out. Meanwhile i'm testing the best trading route, wich sometime helped me but sometime it doesn't, specially when i'm looking for a system that have available an specific item of the commodities market.

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#4056427 - 12/27/14 07:36 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
So how would you equip a Cobra III for bounty hunting and/or exploration?

#4056538 - 12/27/14 05:03 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
I ditched the Eagle in favour of the Adder to try to make some money with cargo runs to get the Cobra.

So far, using thrudds trade calculator, I have made a whooping 1000 credit profit from a 16-stop roundtrip jump marathon. Ugh.

I wish the galaxy map was working correctly. If anyone has any tips for a highter profit margin through trading, I'm all ears (eyes, actually smile ).

I have 130,000 credits, and need about 200,000 more for the basic Cobra.

Hey Jayhawk,

I'd suggest not ignoring the mission side of things. I ran trade runs using Thrudds calculator, but only as an accompaniment to missions.

So, for instance, if there was a mission to get some commodity for a station, I'd go to Thrudds and find where it was. Then I'd see if there was anything I could haul there or in system since it made no sense to go empty.

Similarly, if there were no good missions at a station, I'd still try to haul something to the next station. But, the big money in the early game seems to be from hauling missions. Even kill missions are slower I think since you need to go find the target which can take some time.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.