#4054572 - 12/22/14 04:57 PM Ship strategy  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
So what is your ship strategy?

I recently switched from the Sidewinder to the (Fr)Eagle. My next step will be the Cobra (I plan to keep the Eagle should I need a nimble fighter), then the ASP Explorer. With the right upgrades, I've read that this thing can be deadly.

After that, we'll see. smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4054578 - 12/22/14 05:22 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
The Asp's primary benefit is an insane jump distance, it's basically a big armored exploration craft. The Eagle can take down anything up to an Anaconda with a bunch of luck but you need to get really creative with it. I do believe it outmaneuvers all other craft in the game as a balance to the poor armor.

Right now I'm in the Viper since it's basically the Slave One of Elite biggrin

Static cannons on the bottom, gimballed lasers on the top for dogfighting and getting separation. Since you have one of the fastest ships in the game you can do some nice boom and zoom.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4054623 - 12/22/14 07:24 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
I went 'Winder, FrEagle, Hauler, and have settled into a Cobra where I plan to stay awhile. Two gimbaled Multicannon up top and two gimbaled Pulse laser on the bottom (plan to upgrade those to Beam Lasers eventually. Upgraded FSD and Powerplant.

The Asp is tempting eventually though...I'd like to explore a bit.

#4054636 - 12/22/14 07:49 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Both the Cobra and the Asp seem to me to be the closest Elite-equivalent to the Millenium Falcon. biggrin

If I somehow make enough money, eventually, I might try to own a Viper on the side, for some serious bounty-hunting/ assassinating.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4054637 - 12/22/14 07:51 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Deacon, did switching from Eagle to Hauler do you any good money wise? I have considered this step, but would rather run up enough credits to get the Cobra as soon as possible.

Still some 150,000 credits short. frown

#4054646 - 12/22/14 08:03 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
That's a good comparison, they both remind me of the Falcon as well. Large multi-crewed spacecraft with respectable weapons and cargo space.

It depends on how savvy you are at finding a good trade route, and your patience level for non-combat roles. Bounty hunting is way more lucrative than it was pre-release but with a Cobra or Hauler I think you can still make a better/more steady income on trading.

#4054679 - 12/22/14 09:22 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
JohnnyChemo Online sleepy
JohnnyChemo  Online Sleepy

Buffalo, NY
I take it you guys are using the Eagle as a bounty/mission runner then? Doesn't seem to be useful as a trader with that small hold.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4054684 - 12/22/14 09:27 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Crap! I just had this cunning plan, which just got flooded down the toilet by these freakin' idiots!

I went to one of the extraction sites in the Kremainn system, hoping to blast some pirates who always hang around there.

Well, I ran into two(!) Anacondas that started to fight each other. So my seedy and sneaky plan was to wait until one of the two was damaged enough, at which point I was planning on swooping in for the kill. You know, the honorable way to fight. yep

But of course, during their match, both of those blind idiots just crashed into each other and blew up. No bounty for me. mad

Crap II:

Apparently, hitting Esc to get into the "pause menu" does not really pause the game, because while I was typing the above, my ship has been destroyed by some other AI pilot. I just Alt-Tabbed back in time to see the death screen. The sector I was in was empty before I paused and alt-tabbed here. AAaaargh. banghead

Last edited by Jayhawk; 12/22/14 09:29 PM.

#4054685 - 12/22/14 09:31 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
ouch!

#4054690 - 12/22/14 09:43 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo
I take it you guys are using the Eagle as a bounty/mission runner then? Doesn't seem to be useful as a trader with that small hold.

It has limited utility as a bounty hunting ship as it lacks cargo holds and utility mounts enough to carry all the bells and whistles you use for catching criminals. It is however an excellent and maneuverable short/medium range fighter. I can see it being utilized much more in combat zones where turning radius and numbers are the key to winning. Hopefully the game makes more in depth combat sorties biggrin

#4054692 - 12/22/14 09:48 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: bisher]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: bisher
ouch!

Lesson learned: don't text and fly. smile

#4054711 - 12/22/14 10:53 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
My ship strategy has been:

Outfit my Cobra with 60 cargo space (dumped the shields), and finding a decent trade run make enough money to buy my next this:

Type-6 cargo hauler, which I bought today. I've upgraded all the cargo pods, but kept the shields on - this yields me a 104 cargo space (vs 112 with the shields sold, it only has a Class-3 shield). Now starting to build up my cash again (I'm at 250k creds, and making about 80k per round trip right now - I had a better route but today's patch nerfed it frown ).

My cobra will be refitted for a combat/explorer vessel when I get enough cash.

then I'll start the slow saving up for a Python and later Anaconda biggrin

#4054737 - 12/23/14 12:19 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Peally]  
JohnnyChemo Online sleepy
JohnnyChemo  Online Sleepy

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: Peally

It has limited utility as a bounty hunting ship as it lacks cargo holds and utility mounts enough to carry all the bells and whistles you use for catching criminals. It is however an excellent and maneuverable short/medium range fighter. I can see it being utilized much more in combat zones where turning radius and numbers are the key to winning. Hopefully the game makes more in depth combat sorties biggrin

So the folks who are using Eagles-how are you guys using them? Trying to decide whether or not to sell it off.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4054750 - 12/23/14 01:36 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94

So the folks who are using Eagles-how are you guys using them? Trying to decide whether or not to sell it off.

I use it mainly on missions against pirates, and I'm hanging around "points of intertest" - nav beacons, unidentified signals, extraction sites - and blast anyone with a wanted level to collect the bounty.

Then there are the less frequent courier missions, or fast transport missions (with a payload of only two).

My goals is to gain the necessary credits to acquire the Cobra. Not sure yet if I'll hang on to the Eagle, or sell it to invest in better equipment for the Cobra.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 12/23/14 01:37 AM.

#4054766 - 12/23/14 02:43 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Peally

Sorry I should clarify, you can still bounty hunt with it (I did!) but it's less than ideal compared to the Viper. The only things the Viper has over it is more utility mounts (so you can have kill warrant scanners, interdictors, jump scanners, etc all mounted at once) and better speed and shields/armor. The Eagle beats it in maneuverability.

#4054878 - 12/23/14 11:39 AM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
I started with the Cobra and i still using it without any upgrades, with the exception of a basic fuel scoop. Making money it's coming real slow, and the lack of time to play does not help either.

Is there any tool that show good trading routes from where i am? I'm kind of tired of writing things and paper, and still almost never find something good to trade and earn some good credits.

Also, what kind of system are best to buy upgrades? I never find upgrades that seems to worth the change.

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#4054937 - 12/23/14 02:01 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
High Tech systems generally have hi tech commodities (they sell weapons and electronics instead of dirt biggrin )

For trading data there's third party addons if you swing that way https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76081

#4054941 - 12/23/14 02:16 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Deacon, did switching from Eagle to Hauler do you any good money wise? I have considered this step, but would rather run up enough credits to get the Cobra as soon as possible.

Still some 150,000 credits short. frown

Jay, I found the Eagle to be slow to kill in the default load out. And it's not spectacularly good in my mind at taking on the bigger ships, some of which fire backwards. So I found that it's a slow way to earn cash....providing you are doing the "hanging out in Resource sites and killing Wanted ships that I think I can kill" thing. For me, running the hauler in good missions (plus 10k) made money pretty quickly compared to popping Sidewinders at 400 a piece with the occasional long fight against a Cobra or Anaconda for more.

I go to the biggest station I can find, take the highest mission I can do. If there are none, then I use this tool....

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/#

Load it up with whatever I can haul, and go someplace else looking for missions.

If you sell your Sidey and Freagle, you'll have money in no time.

Once I got to the Cobra and up gunned and up engined it a bit, I can now go back to those resource sites and generally take out Sideys in under a minute and, if I'm lucky, knock off several Cobras in a single load of cannon ammo.

Sometimes pickings are spare, but others....I made 90k in about 30 minutes last night.

It almost made up for the pain of losing my Cobra the previous night (19k), plus all the exploration data I had accumulated (20k), plus about 40k in u redeemed bounties when I smacked face first into a rock!

#4054942 - 12/23/14 02:18 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Lancelot]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Originally Posted By: Lancelot
I started with the Cobra and i still using it without any upgrades, with the exception of a basic fuel scoop. Making money it's coming real slow, and the lack of time to play does not help either.

Is there any tool that show good trading routes from where i am? I'm kind of tired of writing things and paper, and still almost never find something good to trade and earn some good credits.

Also, what kind of system are best to buy upgrades? I never find upgrades that seems to worth the change.

Like I just posted, this one really works well for me...

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/#

Even shows in system trades, which can be surprisingly lucrative.

#4054956 - 12/23/14 03:03 PM Re: Ship strategy [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Thanks Deacon, that was very helpful. I think I'll go the same route as you did. thumbsup

Is it me, or did the number of available missions drop during the last two days? Or is it just the systems I am operating in (Eravate and surrounding systems)?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.