Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4054581 - 12/22/14 05:35 PM Is it worth it?  
RockEye Offline
RockEye  Offline

oklahoma city
Hello all,
I am on the fence about this sim. It looks fantastic but as we all know looks can be deceiving. I watched a couple of trailers with battles between capital ships and all I can say is wow. Then I watch youtube videos and all I see is plain space with people doing cargo runs. So is it worth it or am all I am going to be doing is going from one station to another delivering cargo?
Thanks….

#4054582 - 12/22/14 05:49 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
No, it isn't worth it. Nothing to see here. Walk away. Seriously. Go. Now.

matrix

On a more serious note, it depends on what you're looking for in a space sim. I cannot stand X Rebirth but I know some people love it. For me, it's like dogfighting in space, it's like EVE but you get to actually FLY your ship and not just click on random things in space. Sure, you can do your cargo runs as well. You can do mining too and it's more hands-on than EVE's point-and-click-and-go-AFK. There's a YT vid on this as well.

Do **NOT** make a decision based on the trailers. There are a good number of YT videos showing pew-pew. Watch those and you'll get a better feel of the game. There is NO outside/3rd-person view at the moment, so everything is from the in-cockpit perspective.

- Ice
#4054584 - 12/22/14 05:52 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

A video of pew-pew with different weapons. A good place to start. Note that his target is a big ship so dogfights should be a bit harder than this.

- Ice
#4054596 - 12/22/14 06:16 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
I thinks Ice is right on. It really depends on what you are looking for. It's a big open sandbox game, so if you want to stay in a safe system and run cargo forever, you can do that. But you can also bounty hunt, explore, mine, run missions, etc and these will change your standing in a system and also the system's stats too I believe.

The only thing is that I don't know if you ever really are going to get into big fleet battle type stuff. Maybe, but I haven't seen how that will work within the game, yet. So, you may get a lot of small to medium ship interactions, but no Eve like giant space conflicts. Having said that, there were examples in the beta of joining in to large arenas where you engage in a big dogfight...I just don't know if you will ever get to command those big ships though.

For all that, I am having a blast. You can get totally lost within the game just doing your thing and, if you can apply some imagination, you can seek to be the savior of the quadrant....as long as you aren't expecting much fanfare in reward.

#4054600 - 12/22/14 06:23 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
That's one of the few things I'd like to see realized. Right now the only ship bigger than the Anaconda you'll see is the rare single dreadnought sitting in a static position in the "deathmatch" (dogfight) areas. They have no objectives and neither do you aside from blow up the other side's infinite reinforcements.

There's one orbiting Earth, and when you go to take a look at it there's nothing but the ship sitting there with nothing surrounding it (where the hell is the rest of the task force???). Before release there was mention that down the road things like frigates, cruisers, etc would be designed for each faction, and I think they'd add quite a bit of plausibility to the current navies. That, and when one appears in a system it should be travelling with said task force to complete an objective like a blockade of a planet, not just to serve as deathmatch eye candy. A large increase in that system's naval patrols and big reactions to screwing with them would also make sense.

Rant over. I like big realistic space navies so I want to see them biggrin

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4054602 - 12/22/14 06:25 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
RockEye Offline
RockEye  Offline

oklahoma city
How is the multiplayer?

#4054606 - 12/22/14 06:31 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
The whole game is multiplayer (unless you play in solo mode). You'll occasionally see player contacts on your radar as people go about their business. Until grouping functionality is introduced early next year you kinda work around jumping together by using things like jump scanners (scan where people jumped to and hitch a ride to the same location).

So coop I would say is somewhat limited depending on what you're doing. If you're pirating folks or attacking them for bounties then there's plenty of dogfighting and stealing if you put the time into chasing people down and tearing them out of supercruise.

#4054629 - 12/22/14 07:34 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Bilko Offline
Bilko  Offline

Fort Baxter, Roseville,KS
Although it is indeed a very impressive game I have found it to be quite boring and without enough rewards to keep my interest. I am a DCS veteran that never was interested in single player mode but had a blast flying coop multiplayer missions for over 2 years. I was hoping to find the same kind of experience with ED but quickly realized that until this http://www.incgamers.com/2014/12/elite-dangerous-player-wings-feature-due-early-next-year becomes available that will never be possible. I will no doubt come back to it when WINGS comes out next year.

#4054643 - 12/22/14 08:01 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It's more of a "make your own story" sandbox, if you're looking for hardcore coop it's not exactly tailored that way just yet (although further coop features are in the works)

#4054723 - 12/22/14 11:43 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Multiplayer is a hit-and-miss for now to be honest. The game puts players in "instances" and I think it was 32 human players per instance. So even if you are on the same system with somebody, if his instance is full, you'll be placed in a different instance so you won't see each other. Even if you are both in the same instance, however, you might lose each other when you jump systems and end up being placed in different instances.

Maybe playing with a private group + going to a low-human-player-population system + being in each other's in-game friends list (which you'd need to join private group anyway) = better chances of ending up in the same instance but from what I can tell, it's still hit-and-miss.

The devs are working on it though so at the moment, I'm just playing solo exploring the game's mechanics, how ships work, how weapons work, how they are used, etc. Having a blast with the pew-pew just as I was enjoying learning how to fight in DCS by myself --- a solo A-10 flying out of Bantumi to practice weapons delivery.... by the time I went co-op, I was a bit more competent with my aircraft and weapons. I'm at this stage with Elite.

- Ice
#4054726 - 12/22/14 11:52 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
RockEye Offline
RockEye  Offline

oklahoma city
Ok, thank you all for the feed back. I guess my question is, are you having fun, does it pull you in to where you want to keep going?

#4054729 - 12/23/14 12:02 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Ah yes, I definitely am having a lot of fun! I love the dogfighting.... there's a "cornerspeed" setting that's not max thrust but improves your turn rate so there's a lot of yanking and banking going on. I am flying the Eagle with piss-poor pulse lasers and a weak multi cannon. The lasers are obviously point-and-shoot and are good at taking down shields but are poor on hull armor. The multi cannon eats up the armor really quick, but 1) you use up ammo so you better make the shots count, 2) obviously requires leading your shots, and 3) take time to spool up before actually firing. So the shooting method for both weapons are very different and makes things interesting.

I do have a bit of a gripe with minor things but it's not a problem for me at the moment. One of these is the inability to buy ship components from one place and being able to store them at another place and refit my ship as needed. All components are either installed in my ship or for sale; I cannot keep my own stock which is quite stupid.

Do I want to keep going? Hellz yea! I like the looks of some ships and would probably end up with 2-3 of each ship I like, so that each ship can have different loadouts.

I do see a "ceiling" wherein people are very rich and there's nothing left for them to do, but I think that's a long way off and maybe FD will be able to find new ways to keep players busy.

However, as I've said, that is because Elite is a game that suits my tastes.... just as I finish all of my Splinter Cell and Mass Effect games (except ME3) because I like guns but fantasy games (Skyrim, Dungeons and Dragons, current MMORPG lines, Dragon Age, etc.) do not hold my attention for very long.

With all of that info, it's really up to you to determine if it fits your playstyle.

And for LOLz, go and visit the official ED forums and watch people scream, shout, grind their teeth, and pull their hair out because they think the docking mechanic is broken or they can't fly through the airlock/slit.

driving

- Ice
#4055342 - 12/24/14 10:47 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Weaponz248 Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!
Weaponz248  Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!

Statesboro GA USA
So quick question, The game is online always right?

When you play what are the chances of being attack by a player? For example in EVE you could be minding your business and then BAM you get jumped. It was kind of a put off for me.

So in this sim can you be protected so to speak from PVP or does PVP happen whenever?

XBOX Live Tag/Steam/PSN: Weaponz248

#4055345 - 12/24/14 11:00 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
You can always play in "Solo" mode, which - unfortunately - has absolutely nothing to do with that Han person. biggrin

It means that you only run into AI.

The "always online" requirement is necessary because, according to the developer, the dynamic parts of the universe (trade information, etc.) are generated by the server.

So you have the option to play ED like as an MMO (open mode), a single-player game (solo) or, coming early next year, as a coop-game (group play).

Last edited by Jayhawk; 12/24/14 01:10 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4055358 - 12/24/14 11:44 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Weaponz248 Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!
Weaponz248  Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!

Statesboro GA USA
Sweet, Thats what I wanted to know. Is it possible to have multiple pilots? For example one pilot for solo mode and another for online?

XBOX Live Tag/Steam/PSN: Weaponz248

#4055361 - 12/24/14 11:52 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
But even in Solo you can be interdicted from AI, which of course con often avoided once you get used to it.

Can be a death trap when interdicted while fuel-scooping, often ends with a emergency drop-out `cause you got to near to a star, with a ship already near to overheating things can get interesting. After a near-death experience in such a situation, I sold my chaff-launcher and bought a heat-sink launcher.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#4055555 - 12/24/14 06:28 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted By: RockEye
Ok, thank you all for the feed back. I guess my question is, are you having fun, does it pull you in to where you want to keep going?

I'm havin' the most fun I've had in space in a long time. Seriously, this is a game that's more about the small things, the small details, than epic space battles. I would go as far a to say that the sound design alone is worth the asking price. Really, I'm not joking...

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#4055681 - 12/24/14 10:35 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: Weaponz248]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Weaponz248
Sweet, Thats what I wanted to know. Is it possible to have multiple pilots? For example one pilot for solo mode and another for online?

I would say yes. You would need to be online, but you can still play solo mode. According to the manual (RTFM!! RTFM Hehehe!), you will never encounter any human players but the game will still take into account actions of other players. I take that to mean it will sync up with the online game economy. If you left your game with your system in demand of Product A, but during your absence, online players have caught on to that and have supplied your system with Product A, when you come back online, you will see the result of that and would therefore have to find some other item to trade if that was your intention.

I also suspect this as a DRM thing, but that has never bothered me before.

- Ice
#4055693 - 12/24/14 11:00 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: RockEye]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
And getting to see players if you play online highly depends on how far you are away from the starter systems. I (unfortunatly) forgot where I spawned with Gamma release, but I`m several 100 ly away. The news section in the space station have a traffic report which tells the traffic in the current system in the last 24 hours. According to the devs, these numbers show only player ships, even when playing solo. The area I`m currently in (around Avan, great btw, high population systems of all kind of branches 2 to 3 jumps apart) says ca. 15 ships of which 9 were Cobras. As I´m flying one and had several visits since yesterday, it could be, that these Cobra traffic was only me. So there are 6 other left in 24 hours.

Space is big.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.