Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4053140 - 12/19/14 12:13 PM Any Runners Here?  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Dumb question because I know a lot of people are running/jogging these days. wink

I'm currently nearly half way through my overseas world sandbox tour with the USAF (3.5 months to go!) and decided to try to get in shape a little more since I have some off time to kill and not a lot to do at my current base in the middle of nowhere. I'm not a gym freak anymore, just trying to lose a little weight and a few inches around my belly so I look good in a Speedo (just kidding) when I take my wife to St Thomas USVI when I get home. I've been doing a lot of sit ups, crunches and pushups and eating smarter and I've already lost about 10 lbs and a couple of pants sizes.

I never run but decided I should so I started out initially with a 3.5 mile fast walk and threw a little running in with it. I about killed myself with that so I tuned it down to around 2 miles doing about half power walk and half run. It's been going okay but my legs are killing me and from what I read step one is to have a good pair of running shoes. I have a pair of regular sneakers with me.

So my question for the runners out there, what brand or style of shoes do you like best that won't break the bank. I never plan to do a marathon or anything, just casual running to keep fit. I just want a bit more cushion or spring and can't really go out and try on any shoes so I'll have to trust in Amazon...heh.

TIA!

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4053142 - 12/19/14 12:20 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi,
Don't run now but used to do 3 miles each day at lunchtime from work. Once a month I'd do a 10 miler.

I always had HiTec Silver Shadows because I liked the thick heel and the shape made it easy to roll on to the heel and off the toes. They're also very light when on.

I've seen a lot of people out running and a lot of them are going up and down as much as they're going forward. I was told when I started that running should be from the hips down. Your upper body should just "glide" along.

Whatever you do enjoy it!

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#4053151 - 12/19/14 12:54 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I do about 8-10 km twice a week. My current shoes are 3 years old, an Adidas model that cost 70-80€. I've used all kinds of medium-priced running shoes in the past, not favouring any brand.

Shoes are some of the things I'd never buy online, because I really have to try them on. In a good sports shop the salesman will measure your feet and recommend shoes based on foot size and form as well as body weight and running program.

And if you have the option to NOT run on hard surfaces but rather on soft forest trails it will help a lot.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4053153 - 12/19/14 12:59 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
FlatSpinMan Offline
FlatSpinMan  Offline

Land of the Rising Sun
First up, I'm not a runner - I'm one of those "up and down runners" so it just wrecks my legs - but I can highly highly highly recommend cycling if that is even an option for you. It's great aerobically , zero impact, and you can see all kinds of stuff as you do it, which makes it self motivating. It has caused me to drop quite a few kg of fat and put on a fair amount of muscle. My upper body is pathetically feeble but I could stomp the crap out of a stationary, floor-lying assailant (it's a thing, seriously).

#4053173 - 12/19/14 01:30 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
I used to run, because I worked for Nike I was always partial to them. Lately I can't stand their running shoes, they're too thin and light. The current pair I have hurt my feet even on a treadmill. Good sneakers make all the difference and comfort, don't go cheap, $90+ is where the good running shoes start.

I've always heard great things about Asics

http://www.runnersworld.com

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4053177 - 12/19/14 01:30 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Problem is, where I am it's either hard road running or deep sand. No trails here. I'm forward deployed to a base that we're pretty much building up from nothing. There aren't many options for anything...lol. If I had my choice I'd go to a store and get fitted, but we're doing some stuff that makes it not so safe to leave here to run down town because pockets of bad guys are everywhere. I'd much rather cycle but that's not an option either.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4053220 - 12/19/14 02:41 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
How quickly would a package show up from your wife?

#4053365 - 12/19/14 07:56 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I'd recommend a good pair of Asics. The 2000 series are great and have a little support build in. Mizuno, Brooks, Saucony are solid as well.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#4053416 - 12/19/14 09:19 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
I am at my third Asics pair and very happy with them,running around 7 kms twice weekly. find them very sturdy too. I run mostly in the country, avoiding the roads if not necessary (had a very bad tendinitis some years ago by running on roads in cold and wet weather:never again !!!! )

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4053449 - 12/19/14 10:10 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
fatty Offline
fatty  Offline

Brussels, Belgium
Buying shoes without trying them is pretty risky. Wherever you end up shopping, especially if it's online, make sure the store policy allows you to return for different sizes. I recently made the mistake of buying a pair half a size too small, even after trying them. They seemed okay when I tried them in store, but the store was very busy and I was feeling quite rushed, and so bought them on a snap. After the first few real steps I knew they were too small, and my feet have suffered some hefty blisters and brutal cramping as a result. Should have known better.

I don't think there's any magic bullet to shoe brands or models that will help you. I've gone through Nike, Adidas, and New Balance with no complaints. I recommend doing a little research into arches (high/low) and choosing a shoe that matches the surface you'll run on for the most part, whether it be trail, asphalt, gravel, indoor floor, whatever. Different strokes for different folks on that last part - I run 8-10km three times a week through a park and much prefer the solid asphalt portions over the softer trail, but that's me.

Concerning getting started, if you have a smartphone that you can run with I will put in a plug for an app called "New Learn to Run" by foco00. I used it with Android, I do not know if an iOS version exists, but you can probably find something similar. In short, it works up your stamina through progressive intervals using audio queues. For example, it'll beep, get you to run for one minute, beep again, and get you to walk for three minutes, then beep again for another minute of running. Over a series of sessions, it builds you up - run two minutes, walk two, etc. until you're running sixty minutes sustained.

I started out with this in February 2013 having zero experience and zero stamina; I could not run more than two or three minutes sustained without losing my breath completely. After a few months of steady and sustained use three or four times a week, I could run over an hour without a problem, and by May this year I did a 20km race in just a hair less than two hours. So, check it out for some help pacing yourself from a beginner level.

Hope that helps.

"...for who are so free as the sons of the waves?"
#4053468 - 12/19/14 10:51 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Bumfluff Offline
Bumfluff  Offline

Keep up the running. Started a few years back from zip and love it.

Lost lots of weight, feel great.

#4053494 - 12/20/14 12:26 AM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
boxin Offline
boxin  Offline

Sector 7G
I restarted running a few years ago after a 10+ year hiatus. Initially, I did alot on a treadmill with walking, then plodding for 0.1 miles and walk for 0.3 miles up to 3 miles. I felt awful with knees and shins hurting. Ice packs were essential to getting through stamina improvements. Being almost 50 years old hasn't helped the situation, but I have preserved and lost almost 50 lbs by running. In fact, the 2nd half of this year has been quite good as I run nearly 5 miles everytime with about 65 miles per monthly average. Hoping to lose another 50 lbs in the next year, but the diet is the hard part. Also, keep a daily log with distance and time. There is something about writing down the numbers and thinking I can do better then that next time. Hope that gives you some inspiration to continue.

As others have said, I also find that Asics is excellent. I have narrow feet and need high arch support and Asics does a good job for my needs. I have two pair of Gel Nimbus (900 miles & 400 miles) and Kayano's (650 miles). I also found the addition of a superfeet insert is very helpful too.

I have had Brooks, gave me awful plantar fasciitis because arch support was lousy. Saucony, had many pairs of these back in the day and they were good.

If you are strapped for cash you might try getting a better pair of highly rate used shoes off eBay too. I would think better used shoes, is better then lesser new shoes. However do some research on what people say about used shoes. I have never done that before.

Do some research on getting started so you dont hurt yourself and quit.

#4053506 - 12/20/14 01:16 AM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
I just grab whatever's on sale in size 12.

More importantly, given my advanced age of 48, I like to keep tabs on my heart rate. I've been using a Nike Triax C5 for years.

Even more importantly, HOW'S CHRISTMAS OVERSEAS WEASY???

That's gotta suck!

loaded-santa

We miss ya buddy.

Best wishes to you and your family.

wreath

#4053518 - 12/20/14 02:19 AM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I don't run as much as I should. I need to get down to a 13 minute two mile by May.

Asics is a nice brand. The other brand I fell in love with over the last 2 years is Under Armour. Inexpensive, comfortable, and nice quality. They run a little small, which I like because I have thin feet.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4053622 - 12/20/14 12:08 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Top Gun]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Top Gun
How quickly would a package show up from your wife?

I'm getting care packages from my wife now, takes between 8-10 days.

Linebacker, this Christmas will just be another day for me. Much like Thanksgiving and my birthday were so far. I try to keep my head in the game as much as possible to keep the time passing and not think about home very much. I talk to my wife once a day for 15-30 minutes on Skype to catch up and get a small feel for home and then it's back to business. Thanks for the greetings!

My first run a couple weeks ago gave me shin pain. Now I'm past that but my hip joints are a little sore. That's what got me thinking about better shoes. I'm 48 so it doesn't feel the same as it did when I was much younger...lol. I never was one for distance, but as a kid I could run like the wind. I was very fast for sprints and could hold my own for about a mile and then I'd run out of gas. I think mostly it was just getting bored because distance took longer.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4053656 - 12/20/14 02:21 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: AndyB]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: AndyB
Hi,

I've seen a lot of people out running and a lot of them are going up and down as much as they're going forward. I was told when I started that running should be from the hips down. Your upper body should just "glide" along.

Whatever you do enjoy it!

Cheers,

Andy

This was very helpful Andy! I just ran 1.5 miles (2.4km) without having to stop or walk. Just a couple days ago I tried to do the same thing at 2 miles but had to walk about 1/4 of it during the run. I didn't realize how much I was bouncing along until I read your reply. After tonight's quick run I'm not even exhausted...lol.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4054490 - 12/22/14 01:53 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Nice to see your progression Weasel thumbsup

#4054570 - 12/22/14 04:49 PM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
The only time I run is if something with large teeth or a fire arm is chasing me, but my wife runs daily. I'm talking six to fifteen miles daily. She has tried lots of different shoes, but her favorites (and only running shoes now) are Hokas. She has a pair for street running and a pair for trail running. She says they are the most comfortable shoes she has ever run in. You can't buy them just anywhere, though. We have to drive 120 miles to Austin when she needs a new pair.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#4054765 - 12/23/14 02:43 AM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
3 miles a day w/ a couple of 5 miles thrown in per month since I was 20. I'll just say that I can highly recommend ASICS. I always get 'em on sale for ~$60, so if your payin' full price they may be ~$90-$100, but still worth it!

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#4054774 - 12/23/14 03:08 AM Re: Any Runners Here? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Good to hear from you Weasel_Keeper, remember not to run too close to those intakes wink
Come back safe. thumbsup

"Murphy's Law"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.