Originally Posted By: ami7b5
Too many bears in this forrest frown

Too many Eeyores...

#4053328 - 12/19/14 06:45 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Bearcat99]  
Itkovian Offline
Itkovian  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
Originally Posted By: Itkovian
CGI promo is hardly uncommon, indeed most games use CGI trailers. There's nothing dishonest about it (well, nothing unusual for game marketing, at least).

Granted, they SHOULD add gameplay vids, and I'm not sure why they haven't. Graphics and simulation itself are great, so showing a vid of a dogfight or takeoff/landing, or a flight over stalingrad would look great. This sim is gorgeous, so some vids would be cool.

That said, great news about the Macchi, looking forward to seeing what new additions we'll be getting.

Truth be told there are more than enough in game videos around to give a more honest picture of what BoS looks like than that promo.. and the vids are not bad at all.... In fact they are close to what is in that video.. The biggest thing to me is the pilot in the pit.. as far as it being different from the sim.. the rest is very close. Close enough so that a person wouldn't go WTH!! when they got the sim.

Well, my point is just that there's nothing dishonest about it. It's standard practice to have fancy CGI trailers for game.

And yes, there's plenty of gameplay vids, but it would address some concerns if they added a few to the steam page. It's not like they ahve anything to hide: the sim is absolutely gorgeous with a great attention to detail. Whatever flaws it has (though I think they're minimal) has little to do with the in game experience, and indeed an in-game video would showcase one of BoS' greatest strengths.

#4053329 - 12/19/14 06:46 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Originally Posted By: SkullBiscuit

It's like the daily dose of Tokyo Rose...or Lord Haw Haw

The wordplay and misdirections to conceal and camouflage what anyone with two eyes in their head can plainly see

It's CGI! It is not the game!!

In shocking news today it was revealed that 1C/777 studios actually had used a partly CGI promo trailer to promote the upcoming release of BoS several months ago, it is expected that many industry insiders will be carefully following this unconventional strategy, some even say it may lead to a complete rethinking of marketing blueprint within most of the larger game studios.

Cheers Dakpilot

#4053331 - 12/19/14 06:50 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: JagerNeun]  
Itkovian Offline
Itkovian  Offline

Originally Posted By: JagdNeun

Too many Eeyores...

These forums, I admit, are quite a Gloomy Place as of late.

smile

#4053334 - 12/19/14 06:51 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: JagerNeun]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Too many Eeyores...

smile

If you're close, get closer.
#4053337 - 12/19/14 06:53 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Dakpilot]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot

In shocking news today it was revealed that 1C/777 studios actually had used a partly CGI promo trailer to promote the upcoming release of BoS several months ago, it is expected that many industry insiders will be carefully following this unconventional strategy, some even say it may lead to a complete rethinking of marketing blueprint within most of the larger game studios.

Cheers Dakpilot

In NOT shocking news

The Oleg Maddox IL-2 1946, nor the IL-2 Cliffs...used any CGI in their promos on Steam

Whereas the BoS video is ALL CGI...not "partly"

Don't try that type of dodge in court in front of a prosecuting attorney....your credibility as a witness would immediately be smashed

Last edited by SkullBiscuit; 12/19/14 06:53 PM.

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4053341 - 12/19/14 07:01 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Sokol1]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Sunchaser
Bearcat99, with your "Wishful thinking..." comment, are you accusing me of hoping bos folds?
I have to ask though...why do you feel the need to pretend you can read my mind?
I do not care if you don't get it but I will enlighten you, OK?
Whether or not another failed sim helps of hurts the genre is not the criteria I personally use when buying games.
I buy games based on the possible enjoyment I will get from playing it.
Some people think it is necessary to buy everything, good or bad that a company puts out, some do not.
I early accessed bos thinking I would end up with a successor to IL2 1946, I was mistaken and as long as you do not yet dictate the discussion
I will continue to talk about this game.
I have a question for you, why do you feel the need to question each person who posts an opinion, are you the forum detective?
You might be doing the game a disservice instead of advancing its cause.

Fair enough.. I am certainly not this guy

and I failed mindreading 101 miserably..

However... it was a relatively reasonable assumption to make based on your post. Of course room for error is always there.

I have no desire to dictate anything.. I made a statement and asked 3 hypothetical questions... You can take them however you want.

Originally Posted By: Sokol1

the 190 and the La both were not at Stalingrad. I see the Macchi as the same thing partly and I say bring it on.

The Fw 190 is "UFO" in Stalingrad, but La5 and Macchi Mc 202 no.
Sokol1

La-5 well documented at Stalingrad, Macchi 202 flew at Stalingrad although in small numbers, FW190 flew at same period on the Novosokolniki map available in game at release, and will be complemented by the release of Velikie Luki full size map.
Cheers dakpilot

@ Dak .... OK I stand corrected.. I thought the La came later.. not in the timeframe that is portrayed in the sim..

Rgr that..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4053347 - 12/19/14 07:08 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Chucky]  
Itkovian Offline
Itkovian  Offline

Thing is, this is pretty much a manufactured issue. What do you think they're doing by using CGI movies? Hiding that their simulator has bad graphics, low details, terrible terrain, and is a terrible simulation?

None of these things are true, and any perceived flaws about the DM or FM (which is highly subjective, after all) would NOT be revealed in a good gameplay video. Heck, you could make a stunning good gameplay video from pretty much any random mission and viewing/editing the replay.

If there's one thing the devs don't have to hide, it's the quality visuals that would be showcased in a gameplay vid. Which is why I say they should add one: it can only work in their favour. Heck, its not like they were hiding their visuals before either: their dev blogs were fulled with vids showing the stunning visuals.

So why CGI movies instead? All I can think of is because it could be outsourced to an animation studio, and done before the sim was completed. Plus is an SOP for games to have CGI Trailers.

So yes, it'd be nice if we had a gameplay vid, but the idea it's being done to "cover up" the true nature of the sim is ridiculous: a gameplay vid would only work in their favour. Never mind that their website showcases stunning gameplay vids from fans.

Given all that, any notion that only having CGI movies on steam is some sort of marketing ploy is completely exploded.

Last edited by Itkovian; 12/19/14 07:09 PM.
#4053358 - 12/19/14 07:39 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Chucky]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Okay...okay...you win....ami7b5... eek2

#4053359 - 12/19/14 07:39 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Cheers Dakpilot

In NOT shocking news

The Oleg Maddox IL-2 1946, nor the IL-2 Cliffs...used any CGI in their promos on Steam

Whereas the BoS video is ALL CGI...not "partly"

Don't try that type of dodge in court in front of a prosecuting attorney....your credibility as a witness would immediately be smashed

Sorry Your Honor, I was under the impression that months ago when the trailer was released it had been discussed that the Models used were from the game, I beg your pardon and retract my statement that it was 'partly' CG

In other news it would appear that some other studios have already copied this tardy practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x27-ybGT8qg

Cheers Dakpilot cool

#4053361 - 12/19/14 07:40 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Chucky]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
I agree.. The thing is.. there are any number of great vids made with in game footage that would do a fantastic job of showing potential buyers what boS was capable of and what they were going to get. Many of these videos are posted on the IL2 FB page or their YT page.. like this one.

CGI promo is hardly uncommon, indeed most games use CGI trailers. There's nothing dishonest about it (well, nothing unusual for game marketing, at least).

Granted, they SHOULD add gameplay vids, and I'm not sure why they haven't. Graphics and simulation itself are great, so showing a vid of a dogfight or takeoff/landing, or a flight over stalingrad would look great. This sim is gorgeous, so some vids would be cool.

That said, great news about the Macchi, looking forward to seeing what new additions we'll be getting.

Truth be told there are more than enough in game videos around to give a more honest picture of what BoS looks like than that promo.. and the vids are not bad at all.... In fact they are close to what is in that video.. The biggest thing to me is the pilot in the pit.. as far as it being different from the sim.. the rest is very close. Close enough so that a person wouldn't go WTH!! when they got the sim.

Well, my point is just that there's nothing dishonest about it. It's standard practice to have fancy CGI trailers for game.

And yes, there's plenty of gameplay vids, but it would address some concerns if they added a few to the steam page. It's not like they ahve anything to hide: the sim is absolutely gorgeous with a great attention to detail. Whatever flaws it has (though I think they're minimal) has little to do with the in game experience, and indeed an in-game video would showcase one of BoS' greatest strengths.

I am in agreement with you all the way.

In other news it would appear that some other studios have already copied this tardy practice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x27-ybGT8qg
Cheers Dakpilot cool

SECURITY!!

salute

#4053368 - 12/19/14 07:59 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Chucky]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

One can hardly accuse 1c/777 of dishonesty. They even released a making of video for the pre-order trailer:

#4053375 - 12/19/14 08:04 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Chucky]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
Samuel Johnson once famously said that

"Patriotism....is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Whereas in Flight Sim Fanboism

It is pointing to worse offenders of marketing misrepresentation, likely not even within the genre and saying

"See!...look at the CGI for Mofos of Mordor....everybody does it yep"

The race for the bottom is proceeding right along whenpigsfly

Last edited by SkullBiscuit; 12/19/14 08:08 PM.

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4053378 - 12/19/14 08:07 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Smauel Johnson once famously said that

It is pointing to worse offeders of marketing misrepresentation, likely not even within the genre and saying

Hmmmmm for sure..... the question is which team is in the lead...

We will surely see.

#4053385 - 12/19/14 08:12 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: JagerNeun]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Okay...okay...you win....ami7b5... eek2

wink

#4053386 - 12/19/14 08:13 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Bearcat99]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
Smauel Johnson once famously said that

It is pointing to worse offeders of marketing misrepresentation, likely not even within the genre and saying

Hmmmmm for sure..... the question is which team is in the lead...

We will surely see.

Ask CyBerkut to run a poll!

If you've got the guts (cue Dustin Hoffman facing off George Armstrong Custer just before the Battle of Little Big Horn)

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4053406 - 12/19/14 09:02 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida

I think I'll pass on the poll...

The following isn't meant to stifle discussion of the merits of the current marketing on Steam, etc., but I'm going to put forth a little food for thought here.

Consider the question: Other than your not-so-humble moderator of this sub-forum, how many people reading posts in this forum are likely to be people who do not own the game (or have not owned the game)? Whatever you think the answer to that question is (and I'm not asking people to post up their estimate here), that would be the total number of people that these heartfelt positions being posted here could influence on a potential purchase.

I don't know what the numerical answer to that question is, but I'd think it is fair to say it is a pretty small number. Just doing the observing that I have to do as moderator, and applying a little reasoning to the mix, I think it's safe to conclude that virtually everybody posting in here either owns, or has owned the game. There may be some non-posting readers (aka lurkers [not meant to be pejorative]) in here, too.

Where I'm going with that is... I'd think that if one's goal is to sway hearts and minds of potential buyers, then sharing those insights via comments on the corresponding Steam page would be likely to have more impact. If the goal is to examine the merits of the marketing decisions then this place certainly makes sense for that.

If the goal is to dazzle everyone else with your incredibly blinding brilliance wink then go for it! After all, as someone's signature points out, forums are where real-time combat flight sim pilots go to engage in turn based combat. hahaha

Just a reminder, there's room for donkeys, bears and whatever other Disney/Pixar critters to post in here. It's a veritable wildlife (as opposed to wild life) preserve here. Just remember: "Do not molest the animals!"
(Note: That's actually on a posted sign at one of the power plants that I sometimes work at. It's in a wildlife preserve area, and occasionally gets invaded by alligators and rattlesnakes. Like we need to be told not to poke the gators... wink )

Carry on!

#4053418 - 12/19/14 09:21 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA

If you've got the guts

reading ? confused

#4053419 - 12/19/14 09:21 PM Re: BoS sale? [Re: CyBerkut]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut

Just a reminder, there's room for donkeys, bears and whatever other Disney/Pixar critters to post in here. It's a veritable wildlife (as opposed to wild life) preserve here. Just remember: "Do not molest the animals!"
(Note: That's actually on a posted sign at one of the power plants that I sometimes work at. It's in a wildlife preserve area, and occasionally gets invaded by alligators and rattlesnakes. Like we need to be told not to poke the gators... wink )

Carry on!

thumbsup

I'm in....fortunately....the license for messing with da animals in turn based combat duel

Is still affordable biggrin

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4053574 - 12/20/14 08:11 AM Re: BoS sale? [Re: Chucky]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Yes, hats off to my favourite mod.
yep

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.