Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4052531 - 12/18/14 09:47 AM Juxtoposed. a little story  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

A little story of how a tiny bit of communication can go a long way.

So bounty hunting in my favourite area, I get into a scrap with quite a talented foe. I was winning the hull integrity race, and my opponent who obviously was feeling the pinch drew his underhanded trump card.

He spun around shot me in the face and my canopy disintegrated. As the glass and whoosh of air plunged outwards into the inky blackness, the horrible sight of my back up life support countdown showed up.

Well, I paid extra for this bigger ship and quite frankly, I would have expected bigger life support...... alas, with a quick look at the timer, a shocked gasp slipped my lips and with some pondering I thought there may be a slight chance to make it inside the air seal of a station .... hopefully.

So power to engines, I promptly put my tail between my legs and disengaged the battle. Time was of the essence now. I had to clear the mass lock of the asteroid belt to engage the frameshift drive and try to stay alive as my assailant is still carving his name on the backside of my ship.

Time wise, well its not good. The proximity of the attacker is delaying the engagement of my jump. This really isn't sporting. The timer has ticked down a little too much for my liking.

Eventually the jump happens, and I quickly lock up the station. I have no canopy, therefore no displayed graphics in front of me. All I have is a little alignment instrument to go by and I just have to blindly follow that until it gives me a distance countdown.

The lack of graphics was a more than a hindrance as I clipped the edge of a gravity well which reduced my velocity greatly and I can now see my life support timer catching up with my "time to destination" timer...... things are starting to turn from roses to the brown stuff you see in toilets after a bad nights curry.

Its time to disengage at the station and I try to time it so that the distance marker is in the middle of the blue, press for disconnect and whoosh, I have arrived not too far from the station.

A quick glance at the timer and I have about one minute of life support left! This is going to be tight. Ensuring all power to engines, maximum boost I throw the ship towards the station. The entrance is on the other side so I have to traverse across the station and then pop down to align with the entrance port.

Whilst crossing the station, It becomes apparent I need to take risks, as time is too short. So at max velocity I disengage flight assist spin the craft so I am flying backwards, and now totally blind with the station I guesstimate where it ends and hit full vertical thrusters down at the same time hitting forward thrust.

With a bit of luck, I just miss the lip of the station and my ship whilst descending and decelerating starts to align nicely with the port. Countdown 20 seconds... getting closer...... 15 seconds .... I might just make this....... 10 seconds... BOOM !! I slide nicely through the docking port into an oxygenated environment.

Now the astute of you will now be realising a fatal error on my part ........ so I continue with the story.

The elation of this quite lucky bit of space flying quickly turns into a what I could call was my best "D'oh" face and I am sure the words "F... Me !" came out too as a little message appeared on screen reminding me that I had neglected to ask for docking clearance.

So with 10seconds of life support and 30 seconds before the station opens fire ..... this pilot had one last decision to make........... Die in space, or die in station

....... there is no escape out of this one

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4052557 - 12/18/14 11:18 AM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Yeah, at one point I thought "he DID ask for landing clearance, didn't he"?

Nice one.

biggrin

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4052572 - 12/18/14 11:56 AM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Yep! Makes me wish there was a way to voice-command landing clearance.

- Ice
#4052621 - 12/18/14 02:06 PM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It'd be kinda handy if they had a way to declare an emergency (with a fine if you're not running on backup life support)

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4052704 - 12/18/14 03:51 PM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Hehehe... they see a ship with a broken cockpit come in.... and decide to blast him anyway since he didn't ask for security clearance.

Would be nice if they fixed this so that you'd get a fine instead. A hefty, painful fine, to be sure, but saves from blasting you out of the sky/space.

- Ice
#4052718 - 12/18/14 04:10 PM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I think that was what the original intention was. IIRC someone mentioned that them blowing the crap out of you was just a temporary measure until fines were implemented.

#4052729 - 12/18/14 04:36 PM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I think its also to stop station griefers.

Before stations were armed and the playable verse was small, you would get shot at trying to get into a station, thinking you were safe inside. As you were docking, the attacker would fly right in and take you out.

It happened to me so I think the 30 second delay may be harsh, but it provides a host of security against people who want to clog up or be nuisances in stations.

Still how many times have I docked before....... and the one time it mattered, I forgot the clearance......

attack

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4052736 - 12/18/14 04:44 PM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cool story, and i also was asking my self if you forgot requestin clearence before you land. smile

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#4052744 - 12/18/14 04:51 PM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Yeah as I was reading it I noticed he left out that giant tidbit. Maybe they assumed you were a crazed Imperial terrorist or something biggrin

#4052871 - 12/18/14 08:36 PM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Wow..that's a cool story. Still haven't found time to boot up with this checkride today and tomorrow.

#4052882 - 12/18/14 08:47 PM Re: Juxtoposed. a little story [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Just as a side note, you can upgrade your life support system to give you more than 5 measly minutes of oxygen. Just make sure you upgrade your powerplant and power distro systems accordingly, ran into an issue yesterday where deploying my multicannon sucked up .01 too many MWs and disabled life support, among other things biggrin

Also helps to sit down and go through your system priority settings. I made it so the next time my powerplant gets hit or I suck too much juice, only the bare essentials to escape combat and jump to safety are engaged. Shields, life support, jump capabilities, thrusters, and the cargo hatch lock to keep my insides on the inside.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.