Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4050862 - 12/15/14 02:48 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: 33lima]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Originally Posted By: 33lima
The kids dancing round the crocodile! Haven't seen that yet, must do some more sight-seeing over the big city. I see that the battle for the famous grain elevator is in full swing though!

Would definitely recommend the current issue (#166) of 'After the Battle' magazine; this special issue has a good selection of information and images of the battle, which I hope they will one day develop into a book like 'Panzers in Normandy - Then and Now', or 'Battle of the Bulge - Then and Now'.

I was in Russia a couple of times in 2003 in the Rostov on Don...area and could kick myself in the butt for not taking the time to visit this area. Not sure, when, or if, I'll ever get back...

Last edited by JagdNeun; 12/15/14 02:48 PM.
#4050973 - 12/15/14 06:03 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
You wouldn't have seen the statue back then, JagdNeun: according to the 'then and now' photos caption in 'After the Battle', 'After the war the old railway station was pulled down and a new and much larger terminal...was completed just north of the old building in 1951-54. As part of this redevelopment, the fountain was removed and it was not until 23 August 2013...that a replica was unveiled by Russian President Vladimir Putin.'

Looking at the pics in the magazine, judging from from the current ones taken by amateur local historian Alexander Trofimov for the magazine, some other landmarks seen in wartime pics are still there, including the big grain elevator and the Univermag department store.

Having missed the real thing I'd definitely recommend you get the magazine, it's the next best thing to a guided tour of the battlefield and being a Stalingrad special, the whole 56-page issue is devoted to the subject: https://www.afterthebattle.com/magazine/latest.html

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4050984 - 12/15/14 06:19 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Thanks 33lima..I will look this over....Glad to know I didn't miss much. Both of the children I adopted back in 03 came from that area.

Updated....just purchased magazine...Thanks

Last edited by JagdNeun; 12/15/14 06:41 PM.
#4051343 - 12/16/14 08:59 AM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Dakpilot]  
Wolf_Rider Offline
Wolf_Rider  Offline

Australia
Dakpilot said:

Originally Posted By: Dakpilot

Best to ignore, it has no benefit to argue with him, seem to remember someone insisting that the RoF Channel Map was stolen from CloD and ported into RoF, whilst everyone has the right to respond, and I will defend that right too, ~

Cheers Dakpilot

Dakpilot now says:

Originally Posted By: Dakpilot

~
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
It appears to be a modded CoD map.

Cheers Dakpilot

appearing to be a "modded" CoD map and "RoF Channel Map was stolen from CloD and ported into RoF", are two very different things... you'll need to to provide a link (just for the full context of course)... either publically, or via PM wink I did though, provide a few comments regarding the, that the cockpits did seem to be ported over into Po err, BoS(notice the lack of the word "stolen" here) and even put up a few side by sides wink

“Hypocrisy in anything whatever may deceive the cleverest and most penetrating man, but the least wide-awake of children recognizes it, and is revolted by it, however ingeniously it may be disguised.”

Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
#4051386 - 12/16/14 11:05 AM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Wolf_Rider]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Wolf re-read my post including the selective bits you left out and stop spamming this thread

Cheers Dakpilot

#4051395 - 12/16/14 11:30 AM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
If you don't feed a troll, it dies. Please keep that in mind thumbsup

#4051416 - 12/16/14 12:24 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
Wolf_Rider Offline
Wolf_Rider  Offline

Australia
thanks for the deflection there Dakpilot... as a notice, there is still no link (public or by PM) provided by Dakpilot, therefore, no actual context of the "quote" (by Dakpilot) can be provided for the "quoted" comment's full context to be ascertained, and furthermore... no link (public or private) = I call bs_sign at the surmisation

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 12/16/14 12:32 PM.

“Hypocrisy in anything whatever may deceive the cleverest and most penetrating man, but the least wide-awake of children recognizes it, and is revolted by it, however ingeniously it may be disguised.”

#4051417 - 12/16/14 12:28 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: tagTaken2]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Originally Posted By: tagTaken2
If you don't feed a troll, it dies. Please keep that in mind thumbsup

Point taken

Cheers Dakpilot

#4051420 - 12/16/14 12:36 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
Wolf_Rider Offline
Wolf_Rider  Offline

Australia
and I find it always hilarious, that when someone says something that someone doesn't like, out come comments such as "troll". Come on now, that's really the low end of the gene pool stuff

Have you guys (collective) really not learned over the years? ... do you always think you're playing to a new audience? - one who forgets after two weeks??

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 12/16/14 12:50 PM.

#4051653 - 12/16/14 07:11 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Was already on the ignore list.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4051827 - 12/17/14 12:44 AM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
A few more personal highlights...

...spotting real-life landmarks famous from the battle brought to life in the BoS landscape, in this case, 'Hill 102' Mamayev Kurgan (the latter word signifying its history as a Tartar tumulus or burial ground) under my starboard wingtip and under my tail and slightly left, the Central Railway Station...

...watching contrails unfurl in the azure skies above me...

...admiring my mount's latest paint job as the light begins to fail...

...and of course, just occasionally, blowing stuff up...

#4051942 - 12/17/14 10:31 AM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
Wolf_Rider Offline
Wolf_Rider  Offline

Australia
hmmmm... still no link

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 12/17/14 10:31 AM.

#4052094 - 12/17/14 04:22 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
Itkovian Offline
Itkovian  Offline

Personally, I'd say what struck me the most with BoS is how it is a highly polished, functional, and smooth experience it was straight out of the (figurative) box.

No modding, no matches, no crazy configuration to get around bugs, no lengthy setup process to get everything right... it was as close to "plug and play" a sim experience I've ever had.

Beyond that, the level of details impresses me greatly. From the FM to DM to terrain to cockpits to the map itself (in the campaign airfield selection screen, too), clearly a lot of love went into that product.

Nothing's perfect of course, but it's a bloody good start.

#4052210 - 12/17/14 06:40 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
In particular because I'm sure there are some that think there is nothing I like about BoS I'd like to report this:

I'm fighting framerate problems right now and they are so bad near the ground I've got to use autopilot to takeoff and land because I can't control my plane well enough to do those things (yaw, in particular).

So I'm returning from an intercept mission. One of my two wingmen is missing, and the other one is with me but his engine is smoking badly. As I descend and approach my field I have to switch on autopilot to land...so I'm sitting in external view watching things unfold.

As my plane approaches the field I realize I'm competing with my damaged wingman as we are coming in side by side. What will the autopilot do? It pulls my gear and flaps back up on a "go around" and allows my damaged wingman to land first just as would happen in real life...well done! I enjoyed the fact that my damaged wingman attempted a successful return to our field and that the autopilot was smart enough to let him land first even though I had a slightly better position in the pattern. This is great stuff for immersion and something I've not seen in some of the other flight sims I've played.

The programmers at 1CGS have a lot to be proud of in this game. If 1CGS would package all this great stuff in a traditional campaign I think they would have a winner!

P.S. I've been trying just about any idea put forth to improve my framerates (including stepping back up on some settings, as I've been running with everything on the lowest settings possible). In this test I was running on "Balanced" graphics (up from "Low" graphics) and noticed my plane was casting a shadow (something I would turn off if I had access to Custom Graphics). So on my next test I'm going back to "Low" graphics but leaving everything else the same to see if I can lose the shadows. When they "cracked" Custom Graphics for a few days did anyone do any screen prints of what the Low, Balanced, High and Ultra graphics presets look like in Custom Graphics (ie: what's turned off and what's turned on)?

Thanks!

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4052260 - 12/17/14 08:10 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: KodiakJac]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

The programmers at 1CGS have a lot to be proud of in this game. If 1CGS would package all this great stuff in a traditional campaign I think they would have a winner!

Thanks!

+1 on that. While my own experience has been that what's there is more than sufficiently good enough to outweigh the lack of a conventional SP campaign (and the well-designed but unconventional and to put it diplomatically, very unsettling approach that's there, in it's place), BoS would be soooo much better with even the minimum trappings of a 'normal' SP campaign, like the ability to create more than one pilot identity, each serving with a real-life squadron and the results of each pilot (and his flight) tracked.

Really can't fathom why you're getting such problems. I have a system over the RoF mimimum but mostly just below the BoS 'recommended minimum' and while it is a just a little sluggish at times at low level over airfields or near the Stalingrad smoke columns, it's very playable all the time on 'Balanced', including takeoffs and landings. I'm sure you have done all the standard things like in the Launcher, unchecking 'Seed when downloaded' (I also have 'Prefer web distribution' unchecked, no ide if that helps), deleted any driver profile for BoS to ensure there's no resource-hogging supersampling or anything like that going on, and confirmed it's is no better playing offline. Weird. Hope you get sorted.

#4052566 - 12/18/14 11:41 AM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
Wolf_Rider Offline
Wolf_Rider  Offline

Australia
+1 on still waiting, Dakpilot

#4052574 - 12/18/14 12:07 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: KodiakJac]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Wishing I was in the La Cloche
I'm fighting framerate problems right now ...I've been trying just about any idea put forth to improve my framerates...

Maybe I missed something, but your system specs would be helpful. If you have a last generation (or older?) nVidia card there could be help in this thread: http://www.syndicatesquadron.org

The RoF GFX 'suggestions' in there, particularly the card settings, may transfer to BoS. It is meant as a starting point to further tweak your own in-game settings. Was very successful with many people in RoF community, and thread to prove it on the RoF forum.

Good luck! S!

#4052655 - 12/18/14 02:57 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Wolf_Rider]  
dzg8j9 Offline
dzg8j9  Offline

Originally Posted By: Wolf_Rider
+1 on still waiting, Dakpilot

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=36692&page=6 popcorn

Last edited by dzg8j9; 12/18/14 02:58 PM.
#4052916 - 12/18/14 09:44 PM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bandy]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Bandy
I'm fighting framerate problems right now ...I've been trying just about any idea put forth to improve my framerates...

Maybe I missed something, but your system specs would be helpful. If you have a last generation (or older?) nVidia card there could be help in this thread: http://www.syndicatesquadron.org

The RoF GFX 'suggestions' in there, particularly the card settings, may transfer to BoS. It is meant as a starting point to further tweak your own in-game settings. Was very successful with many people in RoF community, and thread to prove it on the RoF forum.

Good luck! S!

Hi Bandy,

I appreciate this link and I'll have a look at it. But I've got an AMD card. And the weird thing is RoF runs as smooth as glass for me with graphics pretty much maxed out, although I do have HDR, Bloom, SS and Reflections turned off. But everything else is on High with a couple of Mediums thrown in. But when I get near the ground in BoS I get this "lurch, lurch, lurch" fps at a rate of about 1 to 2 fps. The fps rate is not evenly spaced as it has more of a cadence to it.

Buck

i5 2320 @ 3.0 GHz 12GB Ram
AMD 7850 2GB

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4053511 - 12/20/14 01:37 AM Re: What do you like the most about BoS? [Re: Bearcat99]  
trollpatrol Offline
trollpatrol  Offline

Thread title = What do you like the most about BoS?

Thread now has posts about [Remainder of message text deleted].

I see you are relatively new here. If you wish to stick around long enough to be no-longer-new-here, try a different approach.

Last edited by CyBerkut; 12/20/14 02:04 AM. Reason: Moderation
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.