Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4051873 - 12/17/14 03:05 AM Railroad Man's Magazine / Railroad Stories 1931  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Well, both books are finally done. I've put them up on Amazon for sale.

Railroad Man's Magazine / Railroad Stories 1931 - January through June

Railroad Man's Magazine / Railroad Stories 1931 - January through June

Each book contains 6 months of the magazine. It works out to be about 700 pages for each magazine.

I'm quite proud of how the book came out. I have January through June discounted as low as I can go for the size of the book. If anyone purchases the book, please leave an honest review for me. I'd appreciate it. If you do, I'll reimburse you for the cost of the book, just PM me. In about a week I will increase the price for the first volume to the same as the other volume.

I'm proud I've been able to save part of Americana for future generations.

I won't have time to do it before I ship out on a mini-deployment, but I think I'm going to change up the publishing route and focus more on gumroad.com. Amazon is harsh with their fees, when they brag that they give 70% of the royalties to the writer, it is an outright lie. Granted, most people don't have books with large MB size, but both these two books contain a lot of photographs and without them the book wouldn't be the same.

Apple gives 70% of all royalties to the seller, such as apps or books in the App Store. Unfortunately, Amazon does give 70%, but the string attached is that you pay $0.15 per a MB. So if you create a quality book, you unfortunately end up either going with the discounted royalty or you make even less than the discounted royalty when you factor in data costs.

Ultimately, this will change my marketing when I get more of these books published. I'll keep them on Amazon, at an inflated rate and the book itself will push people to gumroad, which you can DL mobi files and even DL on your phone.

I'm planning in March to have a website build, I should have the second set of magazines published by then.

Edit: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24463676/Railroad_April_1931.mobi There is the intial conversion for the month of April. There was some more editing done, but it will at least give you an idea about the book. Just download the file and drag and drop it into your Kindle to read and browse it.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4053186 - 12/19/14 01:45 PM Re: Railroad Man's Magazine / Railroad Stories 1931 [Re: Timothy]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
I bought it. I like short stories. The first one I read had me chuckling right through. The language itself is half the fun. It's a colourful mixture of hardboiled detective lingo and turn of the century expressions. Some of the "train talk" stumped me, but I could guess what they were talking about.

Anyway, I like it. Nice way to take your mind elsewhere.

Question everything!
#4054101 - 12/21/14 05:00 PM Re: Railroad Man's Magazine / Railroad Stories 1931 [Re: Timothy]  
Li'lJugs Offline
Hotshot
Li'lJugs  Offline
Hotshot

St. Cloud MN USA
How does it look on a Kindle 2? (No color)

Regardless, I will buy it, I love RR's. My Grampa worked on the Soo Line back in the steam days.

One final question, apparently I can "purchase" it using my 'Kindle Unlimited" account, for free. Will you receive any $$ at all if I go that way? If not, what avenue do you recommend I use to purchase these works? I want you to make a few bucks, anyway. thumbsup

Hi, I'm Larry and this my brother Dayrle, and this is my other brother Dayrle.
#4054301 - 12/22/14 01:14 AM Re: Railroad Man's Magazine / Railroad Stories 1931 [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Li'lJugs

It's black and white on my Nexus 7.

Good presentation. Clean and easy to read and well indexed.

Question everything!
#4061003 - 01/08/15 06:33 AM Re: Railroad Man's Magazine / Railroad Stories 1931 [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: Li'lJugs

Regardless, I will buy it, I love RR's. My Grampa worked on the Soo Line back in the steam days.

One final question, apparently I can "purchase" it using my 'Kindle Unlimited" account, for free. Will you receive any $$ at all if I go that way? If not, what avenue do you recommend I use to purchase these works? I want you to make a few bucks, anyway. thumbsup

Sorry, over the last 3.5 weeks I've had an extremely nasty case of the flu, which the Army forced me to come to work with. The vaccine this year is about 20% effective, so save your money and skip it. Totally ruined my Christmas. I got better New Years Eve, but drove to my parents and then spent 4 days helping them with house projects. Then I came back to work to prep for deployment and of course it's a nightmare.

I do recover money on Kindle Unlimited, but only if you read 10% of the book. If they determine you haven't read 10% of the book, I don't get anything. I also have a sample which is basically one issue (I wish I could pick, because I'm not a fan of that issue compared to a few of the others).

After I get back from deployment in a few months, I'll have a second year scanned and converted. The military's budget cuts means I've had to buy a ton of stuff that they usually supplement. I'm actually losing money on this deployment (no TDY, combat pay, tax free, or any of the incentive pay due to budget cuts. Plus I had to buy my own passport and because of a loophole the Army won't reimburse me.) and I'm actually blessed because I know operators and supply guys who have hooked me up with a crap ton of stuff that normally I'd have to buy (like 2 headlamps that retail on Amazon for $60 each) so I'm still doing this packing on the cheap compared to other guys.

After I get a number of years completed, I'd like to get combine all the fictional stories, because as well as the regular stories, the fictional ones just really shine.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4109132 - 04/20/15 03:50 PM Re: Railroad Man's Magazine / Railroad Stories 1931 [Re: Timothy]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Bought the first one on kindle last Friday, very entertaining, thanks for converting them Timothy.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.