Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4049488 - 12/12/14 08:39 AM I *HATE* HAs  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Alright. I know there are people who disagree and the decision's been made, but I need to get this off my chest.

March 1916, in a flight of 4 Bristol Scouts. We run into two Eindeckers. One takes off and two of my mates pursue, leaving me and my HA CO (Hugh Vivian Champion de Crespigny) vs. a German HA.

I fill the Eindecker with lead but overshoot. As I work my way around, de Crespigny moves in for the kill.

They collide. De Crespigny's a flamer and the German isn't much better off.

I circle the stricken planes as they fall. My CO at least is facing a hideous death, and the two planes smash into a field no more than a handful of yards from each other, billowing smoke to the heavens.

This should be a sad, sobering moment. I watched the flames. I can still see the smoke as I turn away from it. The harsh realities of war.

Yet all I can think of, is that git is probably walking away from his flaming crash right now as is the German. Sure enough, de Crespigny only suffers a light injury. He doesn't even spend any time in the hospital.

Can we please get some sort of toggle at least to turn the HAs' invulnerability off? It's an immersion killer.

#4049491 - 12/12/14 09:09 AM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

I feel your pain, as much as I understand the main goal of WOFF is historical fidelity (aces die the day the really died, not before), I would love to have the possibility to make aces vulnerable. So, yes, I second CatKnights´ plea. I would still like them to perish the day they really did(elsewhere MvR would end with 150 victories!! smile ) but the possibility to defeat them and not seeing them again some days after is sure welcomed.

Last edited by ArisFuser; 12/12/14 09:10 AM.
#4049492 - 12/12/14 09:09 AM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: CatKnight
Alright. I know there are people who disagree and the decision's been made, but I need to get this off my chest.

March 1916, in a flight of 4 Bristol Scouts. We run into two Eindeckers. One takes off and two of my mates pursue, leaving me and my HA CO (Hugh Vivian Champion de Crespigny) vs. a German HA.

I fill the Eindecker with lead but overshoot. As I work my way around, de Crespigny moves in for the kill.

They collide. De Crespigny's a flamer and the German isn't much better off.

I circle the stricken planes as they fall. My CO at least is facing a hideous death, and the two planes smash into a field no more than a handful of yards from each other, billowing smoke to the heavens.

This should be a sad, sobering moment. I watched the flames. I can still see the smoke as I turn away from it. The harsh realities of war.

Yet all I can think of, is that git is probably walking away from his flaming crash right now as is the German. Sure enough, de Crespigny only suffers a light injury. He doesn't even spend any time in the hospital.

Can we please get some sort of toggle at least to turn the HAs' invulnerability off? It's an immersion killer.

HA's are NOT invulnerable - they just will come back the next day because they always survive - thats why users report shooting them down.

Some collisions are just like that - one survives one does not.

You guys can test this yourself by selecting and enemy Ace in QC - we would never make a craft invulnerable.

WM

OBD Software
#4049493 - 12/12/14 09:12 AM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: ArisFuser]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: ArisFuser
I feel your pain, as much as I understand the main goal of WOFF is historical fidelity (aces die the day the really died, not before), I would love to have the possibility to make aces vulnerable. So, yes, I second CatKnights´ plea. I would still like them to perish the day they really did(elsewhere MvR would end with 150 victories!! smile ) but the possibility to defeat them and not seeing them again some days after is sure welcomed.

HAs are NOT invulnerable - test it in QC yourself.

WM

OBD Software
#4049496 - 12/12/14 09:19 AM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Sorry WM, I (I think Catknight too) meant they will never die (except when they actually did) even if they crash, burn, or explode in the air.

I am flying with Jasta 5 at the moment, I know beforehand that Konnecke or Mai will survive the conflict, so every mission with them is like flying with superaces that will return from death in case they crash or get shot (sometimes they do) and fight brilliantly. I am never afraid of losing them in a mission, which would be one of my goals if they could permanently die. Squadron mates who make it or not add lots to the inmersion, you grow fond of them, you take care of them, that adds to the roleplaying side of the sim.

Last edited by ArisFuser; 12/12/14 09:23 AM.
#4049510 - 12/12/14 10:17 AM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: ArisFuser]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: ArisFuser
Sorry WM, I (I think Catknight too) meant they will never die (except when they actually did) even if they crash, burn, or explode in the air.

I am flying with Jasta 5 at the moment, I know beforehand that Konnecke or Mai will survive the conflict, so every mission with them is like flying with superaces that will return from death in case they crash or get shot (sometimes they do) and fight brilliantly. I am never afraid of losing them in a mission, which would be one of my goals if they could permanently die. Squadron mates who make it or not add lots to the inmersion, you grow fond of them, you take care of them, that adds to the roleplaying side of the sim.

Yes its been like that since P1 and we have no plans to change it.

Note again - they are not invulnerable during run time, they have the same craft capabilities as the player and all AI - their craft strengths are the same.
They simply only leave the fray as they did historically.
They just have damn good luck at surviving any shooting or crash.

In terms of the 'immersion killer' aspects we dont see it that way - in sim they get shot down as evereyone else - they have no force shield....as I say they are just then quite lucky to survive being shot down or crashing - it happened.

Of course if we change it (which we wont) the historians will then moan.

Even if we make them 'sick for a few days' after an in sim crash or being shot down - which is tricky as those few days off might contain a significant historical day for them (like their death or a significant historical action) - then we will still have moaners saying :- no way they could have survived that!

This topic has been flogged to death over 9 years of WOFF/OFF - we are happy that this is the best 'compromise' for historical Aces and still gives the end user a believable sim.

WM

OBD Software
#4049513 - 12/12/14 10:43 AM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

You can only do it like OBD did, or the aces fall and never live until their real life date -
which would mean: they are NOT the historical aces, they only carry their names.

So, for historical correctness, WOFF offers the best solution IMHO -
we can shoot them down, and still they remain the historical ace.
How could you do it any better?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4049514 - 12/12/14 10:46 AM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
"In terms of the 'immersion killer' aspects we dont see it that way - in sim they get shot down as evereyone else - they have no force shield....as I say they are just then quite lucky to survive being shot down or crashing - it happened.

Of course if we change it (which we wont) the historians will then moan."

You are exactly correct in this decision WM in my opinion.
The game being a game, with the AI doing the best they can, the "HA's" would all be dead in a few weeks of game time if they were not treated special.
Attrition is quite high.

EDIT: Simultaneous post with Olham.

#4049527 - 12/12/14 11:28 AM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
The skies would be empty of aces by 1917 if you let Aces die. Again, not only would players be killing Aces, but so would other AI, Archie and even flying accidents. I think there would be nobody interesting left to fight by the middle of the war and then folks would lament that they weren't seeing any Aces at all, despite the fact that they themselves have "only" shot down 2 or 3 of them.

What would be great is if someday far down the road they could add a newspaper story about the "Great Ace (insert appropriate name here) was shot down by (insert player rank and name here). Enemy Ace survives the crash to fight another day!" Have both the Ace photo and have the players profile photo show in the news story.

After all, when Aces were shot down, it did make the paper. So it would add a little glory to the player if he gets some newspaper credit for his victory.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4049549 - 12/12/14 01:07 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: Hellshade]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hellshade

What would be great is if someday far down the road they could add a newspaper story about the "Great Ace (insert appropriate name here) was shot down by (insert player rank and name here). Enemy Ace survives the crash to fight another day!" Have both the Ace photo and have the players profile photo show in the news story.

After all, when Aces were shot down, it did make the paper. So it would add a little glory to the player if he gets some newspaper credit for his victory.

I hear you Hellshade, but consider how many posts we have in the "Wish List" thread and then add this one to the list, and then ask yourself to rank all those wishes. There are far to many wishes for the Dev's to ever complete. In the grand scheme of things Dev's would never get the important things done if they tackled all our wishes. IMHO I think we have beat this one to death as there is no viable solution to satisfy everyone. Personally, I like it the way it is.

Best Regards;

Best Regards;

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4049556 - 12/12/14 01:38 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

You need some imagination to be in a craft in WW1 and not at your computer screen, so it's not a huge leap to just imagine the Ace managed to crash land and survived or jumped into a river or bales of hay, or landed on a balloon ! whatever and lived.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4049581 - 12/12/14 02:37 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: Polovski]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Polovski
just imagine the Ace managed to crash land and survived or jumped into a river or bales of hay, or landed on a balloon ! whatever and lived.

rofl Pol, your killing me with humour!! biggrin

(System_Specs)

#4049592 - 12/12/14 03:06 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

This doesn't bother me. And I'm absolutely sure that if the aces were killed like regular pilots, there wouldn't be many of them left after a few months of flying, and *that*, if anything, would hurt historical immersion.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4049597 - 12/12/14 03:14 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Deleted as being too wordy and confusing.
Oops.

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 12/12/14 04:21 PM.
#4049608 - 12/12/14 03:41 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: Hasse]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Hasse
This doesn't bother me. And I'm absolutely sure that if the aces were killed like regular pilots, there wouldn't be many of them left after a few months of flying, and *that*, if anything, would hurt historical immersion.

My sentiments exactly. The skies would be empty of Aces by 1917, having almost all been killed off during missions due to AI dogfights, Archie and flying accidents. What would you then have to look forward to?

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4049617 - 12/12/14 04:08 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Duke;

You obviously felt an urge to EXPLAIN your stance. I suspect we all feel the same, but being human we also all have differing views or slants on the issues raised in this thread. Your views are respected here I am sure. IMHO we all seem to want WOFF to be all that it can be out of our love for the product and the genre so no need to be concerned about stating your views. If we all continue to use a positive approach and not be condescending and we will all get along just fine.

Best Regards;

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 12/12/14 04:10 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4049618 - 12/12/14 04:12 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Of course we all see things differently and want different things.
The point of my post was meant to say that different opinions and ideas are good and all should be welcomed and shared.
If you took it any other way then I blame myself for being clumsy with the English language. I did not think I had to explain anything
Sorry!

#4049624 - 12/12/14 04:35 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Of course we all see things differently and want different things.
The point of my post was meant to say that different opinions and ideas are good and all should be welcomed and shared.
If you took it any other way then I blame myself for being clumsy with the English language. I did not think I had to explain anything
Sorry!

I guess I owe you an apology because it seems I wasn't clear either. I agree whole heartely with your above statement and that was my point that no explanation was necessary.

Best Regards;

(System_Specs)

#4049667 - 12/12/14 05:40 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Originally Posted By: Hellshade

I hear you Hellshade, but consider how many posts we have in the "Wish List" thread...

Nice idea, Hellshade - and maybe not too tricky to do?
I guess we can keep you OBD guys busy 'till the end of your days! goodnight

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4049685 - 12/12/14 06:39 PM Re: I *HATE* HAs [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

What I'd love to see is that the game world would somehow react to my pilot's achievements. For example, if my pilot has more victories than any other ace, it would be nice to see that acknowledged somehow.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80