lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: raaaaid
a reviewer at metacritic put right in perspective:

if all the problem of the game are presets and unlocks the game nailed it

hell i just tried cod again and still get launcher crashes, not with bos

i guess they dont want the haters to use low quality videos to harm the brand

i understand their point though that is no good for me, but we are a minority

Help me out here. You have not played BoS, right? So you purchased it, reviewed it (an 8 or 9 if I am not mistaken). But still cant play it, yet are happy you dont launcher errors?

Did you ever think that if custom graphics settings were implemented, you might be able to play this sim? Crazy huh? Yet you are all in favor for the presets. Thats interesting.

I still dont know why you are even commenting on the game when you have 0 time in it.

#4047776 - 12/08/14 09:53 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
raaaaid Offline
raaaaid  Offline

i have 40 minutes in the game, i can run it at 15 fps but thats not enough

of course i dont want presets but i dont see the point of whining constantly about it or make a drama out of it

Last edited by raaaaid; 12/08/14 09:53 PM.
#4047778 - 12/08/14 09:58 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: raaaaid]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: raaaaid
i have 40 minutes in the game, i can run it at 15 fps but thats not enough

of course i dont want presets but i dont see the point of whining constantly about it or make a drama out of it

Hmmm…I guess you're more forgiving then most. When I pay $100 for a game…I would like to be able to play it…and if you can't, "whining" should be expected along with a low review score. Giving it a 9 rating even though you can't play it is just plain…well…wrong.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4047782 - 12/08/14 10:13 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
raaaaid Offline
raaaaid  Offline

if the game fails in the future there wont be such discussions for me since the rest of forums are boring so i support the genre

#4047933 - 12/09/14 07:03 AM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: KodiakJac]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
Devs have said to run in windowed mode at native res,and V sync off, FPS unlimited, in game AA seems to give better FPS than without, try 2X, with this setting there is no screen tearing.. and balanced setting turns of post processing, sounds like you should try that, it may well help with your card and cpu

Cheers Dakpilot

Thanks for this info, Dakpilot.

I'll give this a try later this evening.

Cheers!

I tried the settings above, Dakpilot, and my framerate didn't get better. I appreciate the info though. I guess if I could put up with air starts and exits it wouldn't be so bad, but I enjoy flying from takeoff to landing and its so bad near the ground I can't right now (nor attack ground targets). Guess I'll just stick around and maybe someday 1CGS will free up Custom Graphics so I can get back up and running. Would love to try that new Veteran mini-campaign.

I guess if I hadn't seen BoS running so well with Custom Graphics settings I wouldn't be so upset about it, but right now it is really frustrating. I guess I should stop complaing about the SP campaign design when I can't even run the game. I just assumed they would solve the stuttering and had looked past that in the short run.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4047972 - 12/09/14 11:44 AM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Force10]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Originally Posted By: Force10
Giving it a 9 rating even though you can't play it is just plain…well…wrong.

The perfect customer more like...

#4048001 - 12/09/14 12:51 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: KodiakJac]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
And I'm setting aside the fact that I can hardly play BoS right now. I can count "one thousand one, one thousand two" on the runway for each frame update. I really am running about 1 to 2 fps on the runway and near the ground. I have to use autopilot to take off as I can't correct for yaw at that frame rate. I also can't attack ground targets due to the poor frame rate near the ground...I can't aim. But as I get some altitude the frame rate picks up to probably about 15 or 20 fps and I can fly a little bit. And this is a constructed problem by 1CGS as when I had access to Custom Graphics I had some things turned off and I could run on "High" graphics at probably around 45 to 55 fps..ie: it was as smooth as glass.

Just curious.. what is your rig? Is there something you can do on the card?

I've got an i5 2320 @ 3.0 GHz with 12GB Ram and an AMD 7850 2GB card. I've tried everything to fix the problem. Although my stats say 1 hour, I've probably flown BoS about 4 hours since release of the campaign which I think is the update where they eliminated Custom Graphics. In that time period I've probably spent 20 or 30 hours tinkering, reading, and posting for help on the BoS forum trying to fix my frame rate. I've logged two tickets with customer support, but just like others report you seem to get one canned response and then they won't respond a second time.

I have a pretty standard approach I use for high end games when I set them up. I turn off SS, HDR, Bloom, reflections and keep AA pretty modest usually around 4x. Then I max out settings like detail, density, draw distance, forest, etc in games like RoF and DCS which both run in the 40's to 50's fps for me. With BoS I am down to Low graphics, FPS Limiter at 30, AA off and sound quality one notch above "off." I'm running Full Screen and I've tried V-Sync off and FPS Limiter Unlimited. And I don't have a Catalyst profile for BoS so I am running with no AA or other filtering. There is something in the preset graphics settings of BoS that I had turned off in Custom Graphics that instantly brought my rig to its knees and I'm open to any and all ideas.

Thanks for asking, Bearcat.

Try putting the in game FPS limiter to 60.

Here is what my Catalyst settings look like.

I have fiddled with turning the GL 3 buffering on and off with a slight difference in frames. Overall I am getting 40-60 frames depending on the map but it is pretty smooth throughout. I am running with an 8350, 7870, 32GRAM on an SSD.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4048356 - 12/10/14 12:02 AM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
Woah... 'Armchair General' gave it a 92%. Now, I actually rather like BOS (certainly compared to the general feeling hereabouts), but 92% is kind of insane.

Since our group here at SimHQ and even at the official forums is definitely self-selecting, I'm starting to wonder what the more generalized customers will think.

edit: Meh, nevermind. They give everything a stupid high score. I was confusing it with another site.

Last edited by Aero; 12/10/14 12:07 AM.
#4048357 - 12/10/14 12:07 AM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Aero]  
Cloyd Offline
Cloyd  Offline

Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: Aero
I'm starting to wonder what the more generalized customers will think.

They express their opinions with their wallets. We shall see.

#4048447 - 12/10/14 07:16 AM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Cloyd]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
Originally Posted By: Cloyd
I'm starting to wonder what the more generalized customers will think.

They express their opinions with their wallets. We shall see.

As much as I've peeved about a lot of things about it (namely related to what I paid to be a founder), I do genuinely hope it is successful. It has many failings, but it has at least as much promise as well. The Steam user rankings are generally positive, but it's not going to be an impulse, or even vague whim purchase at the current asking price. While I don't want F2P War Thunder style, I would like to see it switch to a F2P model in the style of ROF. That's my favorite sim business model: only buy what you want, but you aren't buying tokens, shortcuts, or other things with contrived imaginary value, but actual content that people took time to create. I'm happy to buy a new plane or field-mod like things (and I'd be overjoyed to buy a new theater--I can't take much more snow). I've spent a fair amount of money on ROF and never once felt like I was being taken advantage of.

I understand that they don't have enough content yet to go full on ROF style, but a $15 version (maybe one aircraft of your choice) would work as a start. As a "founder" I'm willing to suck it up and accept that, from that perspective, I bought several aircraft I'm not that interested in.

I'm not excusing their misguided development decisions, but I do want to see this made right. I want one day what I hoped I would get back when I originally bought it, a WW2 incarnation of ROF.

Last edited by Aero; 12/10/14 07:18 AM.
#4048525 - 12/10/14 02:00 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Aero]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
As much as I've peeved about a lot of things about it (namely related to what I paid to be a founder), I do genuinely hope it is successful. It has many failings, but it has at least as much promise as well. The Steam user rankings are generally positive,
<snip>
I'm not excusing their misguided development decisions, but I do want to see this made right. I want one day what I hoped I would get back when I originally bought it, a WW2 incarnation of ROF.

I feel the same way. I was really happy when BoS was announced although it was tinged with a bit of disappointment but only disappointment in that I liked RoF and hoped one day 777 would make their own WW2 sim. I felt that the IL-2 name had perhaps been tarnished in recent years and I feel 1C has milked the IL-2 name for too long, I didn't like the name change for Cliffs of Dover especially as the IL-2 took no part in the theatre and the more generic original name meant it would be easier to expand into other theatres. The thought of a new WW2 sim from someone like 777 as a fresh new franchise was a nice prospect. I thought 777 would be capable of doing the name justice but sadly in my opinion they have not and fallen short by some way with their design choices and in the way the community has been treated.

I don't put much faith in the Steam user rankings. To review a product on Steam you must own it. We were told when IL-2 launched on Steam that they could not migrate our BoS official site bought keys to Steam and yet some of those reviews are by members of the official site who were founders right from the start so how did they review on Steam? Its already been revealed the incentives and enticements given by the developers to post positive comments on forums so then did 777 provide a Steam key in return for a positive review?

Its sad how criticism is seen as 'hating', that you must either be 'for' or 'against' the game, there seems to be no middle ground. I bought BoS the day it was available to pre-order, did the same for Ilya Muromets and bought nearly every piece of content for Rise of Flight but I'd be very wary of spending another penny with them the way things stand now. Maybe in another year things will change but my most immediate concern for this game is perhaps 1C have already pulled the plug as December seems to be a key date for them going by Loft's outburst about potential project cancellation in December if Metacritic scores didn't improve and that they said December would be when they talked more about the future so I hope we hear something soon to know that they will be continuing to work on this game.

#4048597 - 12/10/14 04:34 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Is this threat still seen as real? I'm about to purchase the game,I would hate to see something happen to it just after.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4048618 - 12/10/14 05:32 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
Who knows. I can virtually guarantee it has nothing to do with Metacritic user ratings, though.

However, if I were trying to make the decision and if $60 wasn't an amount I'd spend lightly, I might give it until at least the end of the year to see what happens then. There might be a Steam sale or something if nothing else, and if all the doomsaying pessimism turns out to be true, well, surely it will drop in price then too.

I will say though, that if I were looking for some WW2 action, at $60 I'd probably get more entertainment from buying BOS, warts and all, than from paying $50 for the DCS 109 (lovely as it is, don't get me wrong).

#4048620 - 12/10/14 05:35 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Yeah,I have to agree there DCS is not for me. Deleted ages ago.

Fingers crossed for a Steam Christmas sale smile

#4048730 - 12/10/14 08:14 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Chucky]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: Chucky
Is this threat still seen as real? I'm about to purchase the game,I would hate to see something happen to it just after.

I agree with Aero to wait. At the least until the end of the year, realistically 6 months from now.

#4048874 - 12/11/14 12:32 AM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
ChiefRedCloud Offline
ChiefRedCloud  Offline

Canton, Georgia, USA
Chucky you can not base your purchase on such as BoS on what it will or will not be tomorrow. Why? Simply because we don't know WHAT will be tomorrow. If you have a desire to try it and have the funds, just make a decision. There are obviously many who like or hate and in between on BoS. Sift through these comments and then make up your own mind. And what do you mean by "Is it real?"

Chief

R.E.D. (Retired Extremely Dangerous
#4049044 - 12/11/14 11:13 AM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
What do I mean by is it real? I'm having a hard time believing that a developer would threaten this or even carry it out.

#4049047 - 12/11/14 11:18 AM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Blade_Meister]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
1C already did it once.

#4049358 - 12/11/14 10:47 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: Chucky]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted By: Chucky
What do I mean by is it real? I'm having a hard time believing that a developer would threaten this or even carry it out.

More recently, since the somewhat fraught comment in question (which to put it in context, came at a point when 'passions were running high') the developers have said that they WILL soon complete their present plans for BoS, namely (IIRC) the full release of a mission editor, the skin viewer and the AI Ju 52.

There has also been talk of a December plans announcement, which it seems reasonable to expect will cover plans BEYOND that. At one point the devs said longer term plans included something unspecified on the SP campaign.

I don't think there's much point in trying to deduce from all this whether or not those longer-term plans are in jeopardy; we'll find out soon enough. I for one (and like Chief Red Cloud for another) rate BoS on how I find it now, with perhaps a little allowance for immediate plans and none at all for what may or may not come longer term.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4049558 - 12/12/14 01:40 PM Re: Metacritic BOS back up [Re: 33lima]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Originally Posted By: 33lima

More recently, since the somewhat fraught comment in question (which to put it in context, came at a point when 'passions were running high') the developers have said that they WILL soon complete their present plans for BoS, namely (IIRC) the full release of a mission editor, the skin viewer and the AI Ju 52.

There has also been talk of a December plans announcement, which it seems reasonable to expect will cover plans BEYOND that. At one point the devs said longer term plans included something unspecified on the SP campaign.

I don't think there's much point in trying to deduce from all this whether or not those longer-term plans are in jeopardy; we'll find out soon enough. I for one (and like Chief Red Cloud for another) rate BoS on how I find it now, with perhaps a little allowance for immediate plans and none at all for what may or may not come longer term.

You cannot justify a developers threats to "shut it down" unless people stop the "haters" and "trolls" from destroying the sim genre by inflating metacritic scores by saying passions were running high. Sad excuse for that behavior from a supposedly professional developer.

The simple fact that that whole thing went down is concerning. So it the scheme of paying people to post "good stuff" on 3rd party forums. This tells me they themselves are worried about the product. If they were not, why do the shady business tactics?

But yes, in the end its a wait and see what happens next. For some, the now in BoS is not good enough and are interested to the see what is coming, and if its any good. Again, wait and see. I do stress the wait part for people who have not purchased yet though.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.