Hop To
#4036841 - 11/17/14 12:01 AM New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
My word this is a complex and detailed sim! eek

I bought the Flaming Cliffs3 and F-86F Sabre plane during DCS/steam sales. I have mucked around with the F-15C a bit, but decided that since the DCS is so complex (at least for me!) I would stick with the F-86F Real mode for now.

I plan to print out the F-86 quick start guide later this week. still trying to wrap my head around the whole gunsight cage, uncage, electrics, mechanical thingummy! smile

I did have a question about the in-cockpit zoom views. How do I get my mouse wheel to use as the zoom function in the F-86F? My mouse wheel acts as a zoom button in the F-15C, but not in the F-86F. I searched in the options settings, but cannot make sense of all of the selections.

During this search I found the F-86 HUD view which is really cool! However, when I use it there is a large map on the left side of screen. Can this map be removed from view?

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
#4045467 - 12/04/14 05:15 PM Re: New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane [Re: Patrocles]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
anyone? no one has any experience with the F-86F sabre plane views?
frown

#4045779 - 12/05/14 04:28 AM Re: New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane [Re: Patrocles]  
Izgud Offline
Izgud  Offline

Welcome to DCS. smile

Quite surprised that no one has answered yet! Looks like I'll need to dust off the keyboard.

Originally Posted By: Patrocles
I did have a question about the in-cockpit zoom views. How do I get my mouse wheel to use as the zoom function in the F-86F? My mouse wheel acts as a zoom button in the F-15C, but not in the F-86F. I searched in the options settings, but cannot make sense of all of the selections.

Since the F-86 is one of the "true" DCS modules, it has a clickable cockpit. In a clickable cockpit, the mouse typically defaults to a cockpit clicking mode, which makes the mouse wheel function as something to interact with knobs and rotaries as opposed to zooming and controlling the camera view. In FC3 aircraft, the default is the opposite. You can switch back and forth (in all aircraft) using LAlt+C or by double tapping the middle mouse button.

During this search I found the F-86 HUD view which is really cool! However, when I use it there is a large map on the left side of screen. Can this map be removed from view?

I am a little less certain here. Firstly, I assume you meant 'game mode' instead of 'real mode'. If so, I'll say first that I think many DCS players would recommend you to start in the realistic mode as soon as possible if you already plan to learn it later, otherwise you will often have to learn many things twice. This can actually make things harder to grasp in some cases. Besides, the F-86 really is a teddy bear in relative terms smile. Maybe I'm wrong here, though - I've never really used game mode and I'm simply repeating what I've heard from some over the years.

Since there's no DCS manual or training missions for the F-86 yet, things are a little less straightforward. Here are two very helpful YouTube playlists to go through if you have not already: -One- -Two-

And here's a thread from the DCS forums that contains a great deal of real documentation, if you dare: -Link-

As for the map thing, I had to take a look myself, and I'll ask: Do you mean the LAlt+F1 HUD view? If so, I believe the map you're talking about is part of the kneeboard, which can be toggled off in almost every aircraft with RShift+K (RCtrl+Up if you pick up the MiG-21bis).

Cheers!

#4045938 - 12/05/14 01:52 PM Re: New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane [Re: Izgud]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: Izgud
Welcome to DCS. smile

Quite surprised that no one has answered yet! Looks like I'll need to dust off the keyboard.

Since the F-86 is one of the "true" DCS modules, it has a clickable cockpit. In a clickable cockpit, the mouse typically defaults to a cockpit clicking mode, which makes the mouse wheel function as something to interact with knobs and rotaries as opposed to zooming and controlling the camera view. In FC3 aircraft, the default is the opposite. You can switch back and forth (in all aircraft) using LAlt+C or by double tapping the middle mouse button.

I am a little less certain here. Firstly, I assume you meant 'game mode' instead of 'real mode'. If so, I'll say first that I think many DCS players would recommend you to start in the realistic mode as soon as possible if you already plan to learn it later, otherwise you will often have to learn many things twice. This can actually make things harder to grasp in some cases. Besides, the F-86 really is a teddy bear in relative terms smile. Maybe I'm wrong here, though - I've never really used game mode and I'm simply repeating what I've heard from some over the years.

Since there's no DCS manual or training missions for the F-86 yet, things are a little less straightforward. Here are two very helpful YouTube playlists to go through if you have not already: -One- -Two-

And here's a thread from the DCS forums that contains a great deal of real documentation, if you dare: -Link-

As for the map thing, I had to take a look myself, and I'll ask: Do you mean the LAlt+F1 HUD view? If so, I believe the map you're talking about is part of the kneeboard, which can be toggled off in almost every aircraft with RShift+K (RCtrl+Up if you pick up the MiG-21bis).

Cheers!

Merci beaucoup!!

my word this game is complex! baby steps, baby steps. Thanks for the info and links. It will take me time to read and digest.

yes, now that I was also helped on how to trim the plane in flight I will be sticking with 'real mode'
cheers!
cowboy

#4046328 - 12/06/14 12:11 AM Re: New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane [Re: Patrocles]  
hunter64 Offline
hunter64  Offline

I've been watching Bunyaps great "test flight series" and have a couple of questions:
Has the F-86 module been "debugged" enough to where it's pretty much playable?
Have there been any additions to the training missions section?
How about added missions and (or) campaigns?

#4046706 - 12/06/14 06:19 PM Re: New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane [Re: Patrocles]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I agree. I would tell anyone buying this to NOT use game mode. So much time and effort has been used to make this the most realistic F-86 simulator, yet. Why buy it and then waste your time playing World of Planes?
Learn it the right way. It's so much more rewarding when you bag your first MiG in realistic mode.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4046874 - 12/07/14 02:27 AM Re: New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane [Re: Patrocles]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Where is the full F-86 manual? All I can find is the quick start guide.

#4046898 - 12/07/14 04:24 AM Re: New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane [Re: Patrocles]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

It's not out yet. Here's a real one (E model, not F).
http://aviationshoppe.com/manuals/f-86_flight_manual/f-86.html?pageNumber=1

#4046907 - 12/07/14 05:10 AM Re: New to DCS and F-86F Sabre Plane [Re: Patrocles]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Thanks!

Moderated by  Force10 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.