Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4046111 - 12/05/14 06:43 PM DCS World Mobile App for iPad  
2GvSAP_Chief Offline
2GvSAP_Chief  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Got this email today and thought I might share smile

Eagle Dynamics is pleased to announce the release of our Apple iPad mobile application for DCS World. The DCS World Mobile App will initially provide users free black and white flight manuals for DCS World aircraft, and color manuals for a minimal fee. The A-10C Warthog and UH-1H Huey are available now, and the P-51D Mustang and Ka-50 Black Shark will be coming soon.
In addition to viewing the flight manuals with the ability to navigate by chapters with thumbnails for each chapter and page book marks, the app also allows users to:
-View DCS World news.
-Remembers user credentials and provides a feedback form along with the FAQ.
-Registered users can download purchased manuals to any Apple iPad without restrictions, simply by logging in.
-All purchases of flight manuals can be restored if needed.
In the future, we will also be adding additional features like:
-Panoramic view of cockpits.
-Exclusive screen shots of upcoming products.
-DCS World movies.
-High definition photos.
-iPhone support.

--2GvSAP_Chief
http://www.2gvsap.org
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4046157 - 12/05/14 08:09 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I hope there is an app coming for the switchery. I start to have a bunch of ipads around the house and being able to put the controls on those instead of the keyboard would be magic. I'd even pay for it.

-C-

#4046193 - 12/05/14 08:47 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
Friday Offline
Friday  Offline

Sevenoaks, England.
Awww, Android needs some DCS love too! I must say, that looks neat.

That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
#4046203 - 12/05/14 09:00 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: Charlie_SB]  
USMC BEANS Offline
USMC BEANS  Offline

Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted By: Charlie_SB
I hope there is an app coming for the switchery. I start to have a bunch of ipads around the house and being able to put the controls on those instead of the keyboard would be magic. I'd even pay for it.

-C-

That app already exists for A-10C.

#4046210 - 12/05/14 09:08 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: Friday]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Originally Posted By: Friday
Awww, Android needs some DCS love too! I must say, that looks neat.

Agreed, as it'd be nice to open the manual up rather than ALT+TABing all the dime but given I practice in the Mission Editor its not too bad, but would be handy nonetheless.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4046274 - 12/05/14 10:25 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
WarHorsey Offline
WarHorsey  Offline

Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Aren't the manuals already pdf files?

You should already be able to save them to Google Drive/Apple iCloud and view them on any device.

- Horsey

Edit : Or just save them directly to your device. smile

Last edited by WarHorsey; 12/05/14 10:52 PM.

"When experienced by a fixed wing pilot for the first time this trait serves to highlight the feelings of inadequacy already being felt in the presence of an Iroquois helicopter pilot" - Bell UH-1H Iroquois Basic Operator's Technique Manual
#4046280 - 12/05/14 10:30 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Yeah I don't use Google Drive/Apple so I'll see what I can manage though.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4046315 - 12/05/14 11:31 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
WeaselGX Offline
WeaselGX  Offline

Norfolk, VA
Anyone try this yet? I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the app is if it's only for viewing manuals and news about DCS?

#4046347 - 12/06/14 12:47 AM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Briefly tried it, it didn't last longer than 5 minutes. Swiping down past the first page not working was one reason, but it's mostly because I don't see just why I should pay ~$1US for the privilege of having a manual I already own in colour, as though virtual paint costs money. Making black and white free but charging for colour is some fremium tricks right there. And besides, I can already get them in colour for free to the library app that's working perfectly by doing what I did with the SAM sim manuals: Mail them to myself, download them from the email on the iPad, done and done.

#4046354 - 12/06/14 12:58 AM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Yeah, didn't really see the point of this either. I've had my manuals on the iPad years and years ago, makes for good reading when it's a bit slow at work. Adobe Reader is free or you can even put it on iBooks or whatever it's called.

- Ice
#4046446 - 12/06/14 04:43 AM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
SC/JG_Oesau Offline
SC/JG_Oesau  Offline

Sydney, Australia
Agreed - not sure what the advantages are with the current manual offerings as I already have the PDF's on the ipad. IF they move to adding additional interactive checklists or other features then it may be worth paying for the manuals.

CPU - i7-3770K @3.50Ghz, RAM - 32Gb (800Mhz), Video Card - GTX980Ti
TrackIR-4, Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Satiek Quadrant, Saitek Switch Panel, Logitech G510 Keyboard, Win 7 Home Prem 64bit
#4046468 - 12/06/14 05:24 AM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
boomerang10 Offline
boomerang10  Offline

Texas
It's laughable that they're charging money to access a color manual we already have. I have all my flying pubs, sim or otherwise, on my ipad saved in the iBooks app. There are free pdf readers for android as well and if the PDF is done correctly, the chapter links, etc, should function correctly.

It's almost insulting that they're actually trying to charge for the color versus black and white manuals.

On the other hand, I would love to see an official app that let you use the UFCP, MFDs, etc. Yes, I know there's iControl and I've been on the fence about trying it. But...an official ED supported app would be even better.

#4046922 - 12/07/14 06:15 AM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Dedalus69 Offline
Dedalus69  Offline

charlie SB
check out this review from SimHQ about iControl DCS. I use it with 2 Ipads and love it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsqFYqUjQug

#4046990 - 12/07/14 11:08 AM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Originally Posted By: 2GvSAP_Chief
Got this email today and thought I might share smile

Eagle Dynamics is pleased to announce the release of our Apple iPad mobile application for DCS World. The DCS World Mobile App will initially provide users free black and white flight manuals for DCS World aircraft, and color manuals for a minimal fee. The A-10C Warthog and UH-1H Huey are available now, and the P-51D Mustang and Ka-50 Black Shark will be coming soon.
In addition to viewing the flight manuals with the ability to navigate by chapters with thumbnails for each chapter and page book marks, the app also allows users to:
-View DCS World news.
-Remembers user credentials and provides a feedback form along with the FAQ.
-Registered users can download purchased manuals to any Apple iPad without restrictions, simply by logging in.
-All purchases of flight manuals can be restored if needed.
In the future, we will also be adding additional features like:
-Panoramic view of cockpits.
-Exclusive screen shots of upcoming products.
-DCS World movies.
-High definition photos.
-iPhone support.

and color manuals for a minimal fee.

No thanks , I will just copy the colour manual onto my tablet and view it for free

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4047145 - 12/07/14 06:28 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: USMC BEANS]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Originally Posted By: Dedalus69
charlie SB
check out this review from SimHQ about iControl DCS. I use it with 2 Ipads and love it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsqFYqUjQug

Good to hear. I had a brief look at it earlier but the developer's site was listed as a computer threat by norton so I gave it a pass (it's listed as ok now). I don't know if the server software used has gotten anymore secure since then. I tried a general virtual keyboard app a while ago and it was stated quite clearly that if you run the server your PC is wide open to attack. That app could not handle multiple modifier combinations such as shift+alt so it was quite useless.

I fly the F-86, Mig-21 and UH-1H right now so a more general app would be very nice. I must say the exporting of MFDs looks very useful though.

It's beyond me why it's not a standard feature to have an app for the keyboard commands. It's such a genious feature, especially now that you have so many aircraft and no standard control pattern. Not even the kneepad commands are the same for the Mig-21 and UH1-H.

-C-

#4047215 - 12/07/14 09:44 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Anyway, if you guys have Android tablets and are only concerned with the Shark and the Hog, this app is already available that has checklists:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.yeepeekai.dcs.manager&hl=en

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4047419 - 12/08/14 12:23 PM Re: DCS World Mobile App for iPad [Re: 2GvSAP_Chief]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
I thought the color manuals had additional features, such as interactive maps of the cockpits. Sounds like I'm wrong though?

If they've taken the time to make the manuals more interactive and useful (above and beyond a PDF reader), then I'd say it's fair to charge less than the price of a soda from a vending machine for a remastered manual.

This also assumes they continue to provide color PDF manuals along side all their current offerings.

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 12/08/14 12:25 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.