Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4045895 - 12/05/14 11:52 AM panzer elite SE tutorial ??  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

Hi Guys,

I am confused,
according to this site:
http://www.gameclubcentral.com/index.php?name=GCCReviews&file=show_review&id=59

PE:SE has tutorial missions, but I can not find it on mine,
where is it?
does anybody know?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4045897 - 12/05/14 11:56 AM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

There are no tutorial missions. Go to realism settings and dumb down the AI, set unlimited ammo and invunerable commander. Then play the different tanks in instant action. Most of the mods do have a gunnary range.

I made this a while back

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 12/05/14 12:01 PM.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4046513 - 12/06/14 08:28 AM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

thanks Brit44 'Aldo' for the picture and the explanation.

what is the easiest missions/campaigns to try after playing instant action?

#4046529 - 12/06/14 09:56 AM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

StLo as American, there is a large number of AI platoons, so you can move up in support of them.

Toum as German is easy if you are observant and not concerned with the bonus goals. But, be aware that killing infantry that are prone in a building are tough to kill. That's ment to simulate the infantry platoon taking cover. Wait from them to move or use lots of 75mm HE to pulverise the ground they are laying on. If they are a bazooka team, don't wait for them to start moving.

Toum as American is good if you have all M4s and have a little understanding of wingman control. It starts as finding a hull down ambush position, morphs into a counter attack, and ends with a dash to reinforce a different area.

Easiest campaigns are Desert as German and Normandy as American. Desert as American is not too bad once you learn how to deal with the few Tigers you run across and you have enough M4s for the entire platoon. Normandy as German needs good aim or lots of ammo. Italy has some one sided battles for both sides.

Another tip while learning is to set the game map to show all units (options button, then realism panel). I would change that back to showing only spotted units as soon as possible. Some of the fun is not knowing exactly where everyone is.

After you have tried vanilla PE for a bit, Michael Y has a code mod for PESE 1.2 called Full Monty
http://home.comcast.net/~pedg_library/MY/PE.htm

I suggest you try both vanilla PESE1.2 and Full Monty a bit before PEx, PP2x, or PE3.

#4046670 - 12/06/14 04:55 PM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

thanks Brit44 'Aldo' for all the tips.

I have already installed PP2x.
what is the difference between each version?

is the vanilla PESE1.2 easier to play?

#4046773 - 12/06/14 09:32 PM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

At the lower realsism settings, there is little difference for ease of play.

Quote:
I suggest you try both vanilla PESE1.2 and Full Monty a bit before PEx, PP2x, or PE3.

If you play PESE first, by the time you get to the later mods, the bugs that still exist do not bother you as much.

80% of all mods are for PESE They include (not a complete list):
Ostpak
Snow/Night
MvR
Torch
USvsSU
Joe's Particle effects
Brit44
Full Monty
PE Korea
PE Mid East
Big S

Full Monty is Michael Y's version of the game engine.

PEx is PEDG's version of the game engine.

PP2x is L&L's Snow/Night mod converted to use the PEx game engine. It is geared tword multi-Player. Slomo continues to update the landscapes and 3D models in his spare time.

PE3 is BobR's attempt to combine Ostpack, Brit44 and MvR into one mod using the PEx game engine. The mod was first released, while PEx was still in closed beta, with the decleration that I could not stop him. I give limited support for that mod.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4047148 - 12/07/14 06:36 PM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

thanks Brit44 'Aldo' for all the explanation. thumbsup

I have tried St.Lo as American.
And it seems my wingmen has difficulties killing the stug III,
I have lost almost all my wingmen.

What did I do wrong?

#4047207 - 12/07/14 09:30 PM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

The Stug III has 80mm of armor in the front. The 75mm M3 has a hard time penetrating that at distances greater then a few hundred yards. You want to use smoke and flank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgesch%C3%BCtz_III

TPA who TWI
#4047210 - 12/07/14 09:40 PM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Did you remember to flatten la Croix de Pirou before you went anywhere near it? The place is well defended and an ideal target for your artillery support. Hit them hard and hit them often. No point saving most of it for later, you need it to help make the initial breakthrough. It may not kill their tanks but it will mess up the rest and deprive what it doesn't kill of some cover. You want Pirou to look like this or worse, by the time you get there.

By the time you come in sight of Piroux, make sure your platoon is in line (abreast), facing the enemy, or what's left of them, and that you have ordered 'fire at will' (including your own bow MG, a separate command). Let the Sherman platoon on each flank play their part; don't get ahead of them. If they want to race ahead, let them.

Reduce your formation width. This makes for better mutual support in close country and makes it easier for you to drive your whole platoon into cover. Oh and replace your Sherman 75, and some of the others, with the 76mm version, before you start.

Stay in the external or TC hatch view so you can mouse-look around. Lead your platoon in steadily, stopping to observe every 100m or less, behind any banks or folds in the ground which give you a bit of cover - preferably banks that are long enough to cover your other tanks, not just you. Some cover is better than none. From the halt, scan left and right for targets through the gunsight, and if clear, then move to your next fire position. Which you have chosen, before you move off. Each move you make to a new fire position will open up new lines of sight for you and your platoon-mates, enabling you to spot enemies before they engage you.

Resist the temptation to just drive on and on, until somebody starts shooting at you.

Clear what you can of Pirou from outside, as surviving infantry will be dangerous. When it seems safe, order your platoon to halt just outside the village, covering you, while you slowly move into Pirou. Put HE into buildings as you approach to kill or flush out infantry, for your platoon to kill, like a beater in a grouse shoot. When Pirou is clear, re-organise your platoon on the southern side, getting them back into formation (wedge is best for an advance to contact).

Then off you go again, from fire position to fire position. Bring down artillery or mortar fire on villages or anywhere dangerous, before you get too close.

Watch out for AT guns between Pirou and St Giles and for more enemy infantry in St Giles. I would have flattened St Giles too with what was left of my artillery support, but at least one tank from another platoon was there ahead of us. We still had to destroy some infantry who were lurking in the village, though. Cost me one 75mm Sherman immobilised when assaulting Pirou.

This is playing with PP2-x which I would recommend going for, now. It will be better still, when Slomo's new Shermans have been added.

Another general suggestion would be for you to devise some kind of 'contact drill' and then to carry it out as your 'immediate action' when you hit contact (as opposed to enemies being spotted far away) and are caught moving in the open. My drill if I spot an enemy or hear one indicated on the radio/intercom is to turn immediately to face them/in the direction indicated and then drive at full speed to the nearest cover in that direction (if there is any close by), bringing the platoon with me, while trying to pick up the target. When facing the enemy, halt (in cover if it's right there) and return fire with all weapons. Use whatever round you have up the spout and change to the appropriate round after you've fired it off. Slick contract drills, executed automatically without stopping while you try to work out what's going on, should hopefully reduce casualties and increase kills.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4047732 - 12/08/14 08:52 PM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Incidentally, it is nice to see that apart from a new road, the countryside between Hebecrevon and St Giles, just west of St Lo, hasn't changed that much since Panzer Elite's excellent representation of the 1944 battlefield.

What a tanksim!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4047979 - 12/09/14 12:07 PM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

thanks Brit44 'Aldo' for the tips
and 33lima for the nice walkthrough.

I didn't know that I can replace my tanks and wingmen before the mission
and command the artillery units.

well I guess it is time to read the manual more carefully.

and lots of time if there are enemy,
my wingmen go forward by themselves,
how do you keep them in formation?

#4048034 - 12/09/14 01:47 PM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi Tirta

About controlling your wingmen, the first thing is to get into the mindset that your role in PE is not just a tank commander, you are the leader of a tank platoon. Just as in real life, this is your main role - leading your tank platoon. One of the great things about PE is that it gives you an exceptional set of tools to be able to do play the platoon commander role. Think in terms of getting your platoon - not just your own tank - into the right place in the right formation.

Maintaining control of your platoon should be a constant concern.

Before a mission starts, spend some time at the map planning your route. Unfortunately there are no contours on PE maps.

Once a mission loads, order your platoon into the appropriate formation right away. You might want to use column to get them through a gap or out of a village but wedge will be best for an advance to contact, especially over open ground. once they are in formation they will move when you move, and halt when you halt.

Order all tanks to fire at will at the start. If they stop and start shooting at too-distant targets you can always order a cease fire. You might want to order a cease fire while moving across really open country, so that your platoon-mates do not halt to start shooting while they are out in the open.

Once in contact with the enemy your tanks may move. If you don't like what they are doing you can order them to halt - Ctrl+5 (select all) then Ctrl+W (wait) will stop everybody. Just be careful you stop them facing the enemy, not with their or side armour exposed to enemy fire.

Be careful about ordering formation changes when under fire! This may cause tanks to drive into danger.

Let's say you have ordered wedge formation, ordered closer formation width, and then move off across country. Your tanks fall into wedge and follow you.

Suddenly you hear a report that there is an enemy tank at ten o'clock. Or you come under fire from that direction. Without hesitating, you carry out the 'immediate action' - a contact drill. At full speed, you turn to face the enemy and then halt - in cover if it's there - allowing enough time before you halt, so that your whole platoon has also turned and is facing the enemy. Your platoon should stop with you and engage any enemies they see. To maintain control, you order everyone to halt and repeat the order to fire at will. If you can see the target itself you engage it, either from the gunsight or directing your gunner from the TC position. While this is going on, check what your platoon is up to. If any of them are in a dangerous position, or have stopped somewhere they cannot see the enemy and are not contributing to the fire fight, you might take a chance and try to direct them into a decent fire position, by mouse-clicking on the cover and ordering them to move there.

You can also do fire and movement, by ordering your platoon to halt while you drive forward a short distance to a fire position, then when you have stopped, covered by their guns, ordering them to continue. They will then move up back into formation, while you cover them.

You can also do fire and movement by splitting your platoon into two fire teams or sections, which there are commands to do: say, your tank and another one, with the other 2 or 3 in the other section. Or by moving one tank at a time. Moving your tank while the others are halted is the easiest way, probably.

Mission report playing St Lo from the German side with a full platoon of Panzer VIs is at the link below. I used the planning screen to swap out the Panzer III AND to add spaced armour to both the turrets and hulls of all my tanks.

http://combatace.com/topic/84534-panzer-elites-new-look-pp2-x/

Another tip is - swing your turret! A lot of people just drive forward with the turret at 12 o'clock. Whatever position or view you are playing from, try to point your gun at the area of greatest threat, which will be over the frontal arc of 90 degrees or so but not always at 12 o'clock. If approaching an area from which you think the enemy could emerge or where you suspect they may be located, swing your turret to cover it. In this pic, I have scanned the scrub slightly left and deciding it is clear, laid my gun towards the open ground, quarter right, from which I am concerned that the enemy may appear.

#4082934 - 02/24/15 03:03 AM Re: panzer elite SE tutorial ?? [Re: tirta]  
flightsimer90s Offline
flightsimer90s  Offline

here ya go, I uploaded this PDF keyboard command chart for pe I found. http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/611939/pemenu-pdf.html

It is interesting to see that there is a "spotting report" icon that lets units know where the bad guys are.

Last edited by john84; 02/24/15 03:53 AM.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.