Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4042300 - 11/27/14 07:39 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: AnKor]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: AnKor
Kaische, carrick58,
You should contact support or create a new thread in technical issues subforum so the problem won't get lost in this thread.
I suspect older Radeons don't support one certain feature I use for cloud shadows, but I can't test it as I don't have a Radeon. You should also post contents of your Logs\EnhancedShaders.log file (from WOFF installation folder) - this log may clarify the exact cause of your problems. There is no need to guess smile

Yeah guys those cards are getting quite long in the tooth so to speak, and it may be time to actually upgrade them to something a bit more current especially with a Flight Sim

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#4042323 - 11/27/14 08:20 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn

Its begining to look like Christmas. WOFF 2.0 is off and running DX cloud shadow scale was left at 0 ( My card may not support it) The Game works fine. The feel of flying the aircraft seems more real in Ver 2.0. The art work is drop dead beautiful and just awesome to look at. The money was well spent on this release. tanksalot To Tailspin and Windingman and all.
Now its off to Bomb-em zee England in my Gotha. Happy Holidays.

upload a gif

Last edited by carrick58; 11/27/14 08:38 PM.
#4042399 - 11/27/14 10:52 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I used to use a mod with my first install, but now I find I cannot see where my rounds are going at all. I can see enemy tracers that go out past me in the distance with no problem, but have no idea where mine are going. Anyone else notice this/feel this way?

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 11/27/14 10:52 PM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4042402 - 11/27/14 10:59 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
No Rick, I see my tracer rounds just fine and have flown several different pilots and planes.

#4042405 - 11/27/14 11:06 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Make sure effects slider is on 5.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4042423 - 11/28/14 12:07 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Pol,since you are here and there is still time for these issues to be fixed in the upcoming patches.First I just wanna say thank you and the OBD team as WOFF is just amazing right now.Everything looks better,even the planes seem more detailed.FM tweaks IMO are superb and I find a feeling of flight that I have been wishing for from sims that most seem to lack.Hard to explain it LOL.Even sounds seem enhanced.Again thanks. biggrin

First is the Aviatik payload was fixed but so many others are still not.Rumpler CIV carries one bomb drop only as is the DFW CV.Those are the only ones I have tried so far so I imagine others are still wrong.When you are flying a two seater campaign you dont want to be able to drop just one bomb.That is an easy fix so please.....

Many people have asked for the iron sight button to be fixed so it just toggles iron sight.

#4042489 - 11/28/14 03:47 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: OldHat]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

Originally Posted By: OldHat
I use the Dots without labels and I noticed the great work done to make their color less visible through the plane's structure and also the effect of making them look more natural as it progresses from a dot to a plane lod.

Respectfully...honestly...I am not impressed. Unless I have some workshop setting knackered, when I have Dots as my label option, bogeys start out as fuzzy light spots about the size of an "O" before resolving into airplanes. In my RL experience, contacts/bogeys are simply dark dots at long range. Again, maybe something in my workshop settings is off.

Originally Posted By: OldHat
Wind effect is good. However, it would be nice to have a dial showing wind direction and speed because pilots would always know this while flying. Has anyone noticed if the wind speed and direction are varied at different altitudes or is it constant?

Respectfully, not trying to be difficult. In 40+ years as a pilot, the only airplanes I've flown that showed me winds and their speed have been the Boeing 757 and Airbus 319/320. Nothing in my high school/college bugsmasher days or my RF-4/F-16 years. I confess that I've not flown an underpowered tail dragger for almost 20 years.

But to your point about wind effects being good, I've found them to be harsh...or my depth perception is way off in the SPAD VII. I started a new 1917 career with 19 Sqdn RFC, realistic FM selected. Watched the autopilot have my formation "hanging on their prop" at 50MPH trying to climb up to some DFWs. This point to show the SPADs were flying at full power and very slow without stalling/departing. I managed to score a couple probables. I decided to land at an airfield about two miles from where my second claim made a forced landing. Turned final with 120MPH indicated, throttled back to Idle, flying a steeper glide path to clear the trees. I believe I cleared the trees easily, but as I started my round out (flare) my SPAD abruptly rolled left as the airspeed slowed below 70MPH. I drug the wingtip and crashed well within the landing ground...and DIED.

Thinking I may have simply stalled myself into the dirt, I flew a quick mission and practiced power off (Idle power) stalls. I could not stall at 70MPH wings level. So...either the meteorological gods rose up and smote me from the skies or I had taken some battle damage that somehow increased my stall speed by at least 50% or I hit the tree tops (that were somehow 3 meters tall). I'm unsure.

None of my critique should be taken as "pissing and moaning" about v2.01. This is an incredibly fun sim. I genuinely appreciate the immense effort WRT historical Sqdn/Esc/Jasta equipment and personnel. I keep flipping through my Grub Street titles to see if Aces that engaged my flight (and were downed in game) actually were on that date.

#4042499 - 11/28/14 04:17 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Hey busdriver, it's all good points and besides this forum is the right place to share experiences.

The dots depend on how large or fine your pixels are rendered. So, it could be your monitor or AA settings. But differs for everyone.

For wind effect, I was referring to an open cockpit where you'd notice how strong the wind would be while hitting your face and what direction it's coming from by how your plane suddenly lifts or tilts to one side due to sudden ebbs - remember that these were wooden/canvas crates and not 757s. It's hard to judge these effects without some kind of wind indicator.

I had the same experience with the wind effect throwing my N11 all over the sky where I kept stalling trying to dogfight and eventually crashed and died. BTW - You have the option in workshop to turn winds off.

#4042564 - 11/28/14 09:38 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
The wind changes according to weather so its not always rough etc - so play the game a bit and see - and yes workshop settings are there to turn them off.

Dots - well they are an AID (like labels) to help the fact that monitors have a finite res - the are NOT meant to represent aircraft at a distance - the monitors we use simply dont have the res to do that given the screen size.

Maybe the 4K monitors will help in this regard we shall see what the future brings.

WM

OBD Software
#4042581 - 11/28/14 10:51 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes Dots are LABELS. i.e. TEXT. Just they are minimal, don't like turn them off.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4042622 - 11/28/14 01:22 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

WOFF 2.0 is really quite incredible. I've done a fair amount of RL open cockpit flying and I must say that with the latest dynamic shadowing and landscape upgrades now offered in WOFF the look and feel is amazingly lifelike. This sim has always done a superb job of drawing me into the Great War combat flight experience but now the immersion, the whole atmosphere of the thing, is far far beyond anything else out there.

WOFF 2.0 places us firmly in the cockpit of historic WWI aerial combat and allows us, now more than ever, to be an integral part of that fantastic realm. Full marks to the devs for this beautiful piece of work. An absolute 'must have' in my humble opinion.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4042633 - 11/28/14 01:55 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

WOFF 2.0 is really quite incredible. I've done a fair amount of RL open cockpit flying and I must say that with the latest dynamic shadowing and landscape upgrades now offered in WOFF the look and feel is amazingly lifelike. This sim has always done a superb job of drawing me into the Great War combat flight experience but now the immersion, the whole atmosphere of the thing, is far far beyond anything else out there.

WOFF 2.0 places us firmly in the cockpit of historic WWI aerial combat and allows us, now more than ever, to be an integral part of that fantastic realm. Full marks to the devs for this beautiful piece of work. An absolute 'must have' in my humble opinion.

thumbsup Thanks Lou, you capture my thoughts exactly and stated them in a far more eloquent manner than I ever could!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 11/28/14 01:55 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4042716 - 11/28/14 04:36 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
busdriver Offline
busdriver  Offline

Originally Posted By: Polovski
Yes Dots are LABELS. i.e. TEXT. Just they are minimal, don't like turn them off.

Sorry for the confusion my friend. What I was describing (dots actually appearing as fuzzy light colored circles) seems to have been an anomaly. In v1.26 dots were indeed dots (dark pixels), but in my first few v2.0 and v2.01 missions I would see those bigger fuzzy circles. I went to the workshop and turned off the sun glare and minimized the cloud density/shadow values to 1. And the next mission dots were back to being dark pixels, RL realistic again. I've reset the sun and cloud values, and dots now seem to be working normally for me.

Again, please let me emphasize how much fun this sim is BECAUSE of the work the OBD team has put into this. You guys ROCK!

I think I determined that X amount of bullet hits/battle damage to the SPAD VII increases the stall speed to something close to 70MPH. I managed to repeat my previous abrupt left roll/drag wingtip/crash/die during the flare.

Clear Prop!

#4042795 - 11/28/14 07:53 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
I noticed this morning that the railroad tracks have been fixed, they used to be mushy looking and now they are nice and crisp.

Beard

Last edited by Burning_Beard; 11/28/14 07:53 PM.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4043071 - 11/29/14 12:38 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
Absolutely great Stuff. Many thanks to everyone who was involved in this...

I like the new VSync-Option in the Workshop, it helped me to get rid of some Micro-Stutters. Now the Game runs better as before.

I am happy

hahaha

#4043169 - 11/29/14 04:33 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

Happy camper here............drop dead gorgeous!!!! Thanks Devs!!!!

#4043178 - 11/29/14 05:03 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Instead of repeating myself again I will say;
Outstanding in every respect!!!
Nuff said!
Salute to OBD and the modders!

#4043183 - 11/29/14 05:15 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Since I am completely computer ignorant, I had to wait until this morning for my daughter to come by and download 2.0 and patch. Track IR no work. Thanks to others troubles that was a quick fix. I cannot add anything to my impression that has not been said but I will add a big THANK YOU to the whole WOFF team. I did not think it could get any better but I have been proven wrong.

My only problem is that her help will cost me a camp out in the tepee at the Ranch. So, I am off to to pay my debt. Tomorrow we fly in a whole new world!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4045769 - 12/05/14 04:05 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Sailor Offline
Sailor  Offline

This is perhaps a little bit late but my first impressions of WOFF 2.02 are everything looks so cool! I was not able to use any of the scenery modifications before but now they're all included even the cloud mod. Somehow with all these improvements and with the Dev help for getting DX 9 I'm getting much better frame rates than I ever did with 1.26. All in all this is the best flight sim I've ever tried! I can foresee years of exploring all of the different things this can do. Thank you OBD for making such a great flight sim!

#4045772 - 12/05/14 04:15 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I've only had a chance to fly a couple of missions with the expansion. The main thing that really jumps out is how much improved the terrain looks. The new terrain bump-mapping and the shadows cast by the trees etc make the ground 'pop out' and become more real looking; 3-D rather than a flat 'painting'. Very immersive! Great work all around!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM