Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4045381 - 12/04/14 03:06 PM DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners??  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused:

There is an FTP link at DCS's website which talks about
an upgrade to 2.0 for Black Shark if you have an existing copy.

Does this mean that the file I downloaded will update BS 1 to BS 2 for free
since I own BS already?

Thanks,
Stefnuts

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4045383 - 12/04/14 03:08 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
No, the BS2 upgrade was cheaper than a full price BS2. However, last I heard they'd discontinued it as BS2 was so cheap now anyway, so you may want to confirm it still exists? It is not free, though.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4045395 - 12/04/14 03:23 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

The BS2 upgrade is no longer available on the website. However, given the price of BS2 full (especially in sales where it is $12) it's worth it to get the full version just so you can use the module manager to install it, and you don't need an existing BS1 copy on your hard drive.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4045457 - 12/04/14 04:53 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: HomeFries]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi,

What "sale" price?

LOL

I can only find it online at DCS's website for $39

Stefnuts

#4045463 - 12/04/14 05:06 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
Rickspin Offline
Rickspin  Offline

Nederland
ED has sales quite frequently.
Don´t take my word as gospel, but I´d expect another between now and Christmas.
If you go to the news section on the DCS website you can see the were sales every month for a least the last 3 months.
In the sales of October and November BS2 was priced at $11.99

Rick

#4045638 - 12/04/14 10:08 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi Rickspin,

I'm confused.....What is ED?

Thanks,
Steve K.

P.S. I did manage to install BS1........Can that play on DCS World or not?

Thank you

#4045643 - 12/04/14 10:15 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
ED = Eagle Dynamics, the sim developers.

You can't use BS1 in DCS world.

combtpilot.co.uk
#4045691 - 12/04/14 11:46 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
Aeronautico Offline
Aeronautico  Offline

Milan, Italy
I have a black shark upgrade (V.1.0 to V.2.0) lying around and would give it away for free, if anybody is interested. Just PM me and I'll send activation code.

Airplanes are now built to carry a pilot and a dog in the cockpit: the pilot's job is
to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches anything...

- Arlen Rens, Lockheed Martin test pilot
#4045982 - 12/05/14 03:17 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Am I hearing this correctly? The BS2 upgrade doesn't exist anymore?.....which means that future upgrades including DCS 2.0 will not support a BlackShark that was bought on release with a subsequent payware addon?

I used to download the upgrade from a separate section of the ED download area......If this were true it would also mean that ED are denying compatibility for the people that have spent the most money on this particular module. It would also mean that they expect some people to buy the same product for a third time.

I need to look into this further and if it's true (which I would find absolutely unbelievable) then ED can fully expect a torrent of abuse coming their way!

Edit:
So to clarify......The BS2 upgrade file is still available to download for the people that purchased BS1 and then the subsequent upgrade, it's just not available to purchase the upgrade anymore.

So we can take from this that

1. ED have just crapped on some of the early adopters
2. They (and some people on here) thinks it's a perfectly fine solution for people to have to buy the same product all over again that has effectively been re-titled as a 'new' product but really it is just patched and put back in a new box.
3. I've said this before.....I can't understand why ED don't just provide a free BS2 serial code for the people that have purchased BS1 and the BS2 upgrade. They already have the required information, it would cost them $0.000001 and probably make their lives easier in the long run and could be implemented by a script that takes 2 minutes to produce with a code that is delivered by email.

Last edited by Paradaz; 12/05/14 04:01 PM. Reason: After checking ED eshop

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4046075 - 12/05/14 06:09 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Paradaz]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted By: Paradaz

Edit:
So to clarify......The BS2 upgrade file is still available to download for the people that purchased BS1 and then the subsequent upgrade, it's just not available to purchase the upgrade anymore.

So we can take from this that

1. ED have just crapped on some of the early adopters
2. They (and some people on here) thinks it's a perfectly fine solution for people to have to buy the same product all over again that has effectively been re-titled as a 'new' product but really it is just patched and put back in a new box.
3. I've said this before.....I can't understand why ED don't just provide a free BS2 serial code for the people that have purchased BS1 and the BS2 upgrade. They already have the required information, it would cost them $0.000001 and probably make their lives easier in the long run and could be implemented by a script that takes 2 minutes to produce with a code that is delivered by email.

You don't need to look very far to see similar things with other products. For example, good luck finding certain expansion packs independently, though you can still find Gold/Platinum editions of the games that include the expansion packs. Is this "screwing the customer?" No, it's simply economies of scale. If it costs a much or more to maintain a separate expansion option as well as the full package deal, you drop the separate expansion. The early adopters you mention in #1 had ample opportunity to get the upgrade, and now with the price reduction of Full BS2 below the threshold of the upgrade itself, along with the push to the module manager means that the people in #2 had their chance previously, and even if they have to buy the full product at this point they are doing it for less than those of us who paid for the upgrade. And they get the convenience of using the module manager rather than version-matching DCSW versions with EXE downloads.

With #3 I am in complete agreement, though I think that the upgrade EXE should be discontinued and the upgrade serials be converted to full blown serials that can be used in the module manager.

I'm not going to touch the bit about "paying for a patch"; that's been discussed ad nauseum in these forums and others.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4046119 - 12/05/14 06:51 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: "Homefries"
The early adopters you mention in #1 had ample opportunity to get the upgrade, and now with the price reduction of Full BS2 below the threshold of the upgrade itself, along with the push to the module manager means that the people in #2 had their chance previously, and even if they have to buy the full product at this point they are doing it for less than those of us who paid for the upgrade.

I think the scenario here is slightly different to that of buying a gold or platinium' edition though. ED pretty much forced the requirement of purchasing the upgrade for anyone who bought the original BS1 because it effectively turned into an unsupported product.

Personally, I think it is totally unfair for ED to maintain a stance whereby someone that paid full price for their original product is put into a position whereby they have to pay extra to get something that other people who didn't pay in early can get for an overall cheaper price. Saying that BS2 is a 'bargain' in the sales is sheer irony given that early adopters paid $50 to buy the original product....for anyone who purchased BS1, purchasing BS2 standalone puts the actual cost to play it at a total of about $70-$80 and not the $12 sale price that many people like to throw around. (unless of course ED are refunding BS1 transactions?)

Prices will naturally fall over time and to that extent it's probably wrong to try and offset the entire debate by stating that someone can pick up BS2 in a sale or otherwise much cheaper now....don't forget the original BS was released in 2008.

It was also stated on release that DCS would be modular....little did we know that was a complete load of rubbish and we'd have to pay for a patch/integration that enabled this functionality. It's probably where the whole 'subject to change' debacle started. Whilst I have bought pretty much every module that ED have released I don't trust them as far as I can throw them and take every snippet of information they release with a truckload of salt. That's their own doing for bad planning and not really knowing which direction they were really heading in.

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd improved things....yet here we are almost 7 years later and they still can't put realistic release dates in place (like others have said the fact that they are aiming for a Dec 2014 release for DCS2, which gives them 25 days to release it - and yet still have a 2 month window for it to slide to the right shows me that they are almost expecting big problems.....either that or their test programme hasn't even scratched the surface of some major areas. There is definitely something not right because with 25 days to go you would think they pretty much have it wrapped up and any potential delays would be minimal.

Do we really have to accept this is just how they do business?.....is it unrealistic to expect some indication of improvement? My 'beef' with ED isn't about BS1/BS2 and what has happened in the past with various modules.....I've been there and paid for the the 'upgrades'..that's done and dusted - the real problem is that they don't seem to have learned from their errors and for me, still don't really show any evidence that they know which direction they are heading in and how to plan it efficiently. They seem to stumble from one module to the next and conveniently do everything they can to shield information from the customers. I don't expect detailed information, but as far as I'm aware they have never released any sort of road-map at any level other than giving subtle hints that they are trying to deliver combat via air, land and possibly sea, that it will take time (lots of time) and everything is subject to change.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4049746 - 12/12/14 08:58 PM Re: DCS Black Shark 1.0 to 2.0.....Free upgrade to existing owners?? [Re: Stefnuts]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the input!

This quwestion is resolved: Someone gifted me the BS 2.0 version!

There is no link for a free upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0

Gotta pay for 2.0

Thank you again!

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.