Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4044829 - 12/03/14 12:31 PM Sony Cyber Attack  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
In case you didn't hear, Sony Pictures was hacked and copies of several movies including Fury and Annie were leaked.

http://www.cbc.ca
/news/arts/fbi-warns-of-hacking-threat-after-sony-pictures-attack-1.2857435

This is what I don't understand: Why the hell do people expose sensitive material to the internet? If you don't want something to get leaked, why would you EVER plug an internet cable into the machine that material resides in? What, they think "it's ok, we have cyber-security measures in place! We'll be fine!"?. Don't people understand that that's just a challenge to hackers? What on earth is so difficult about the concept of standalone machines, local networks that aren't connected to the internet, and transmission via physical storage devices? This is what we do in the Department of National Defense. If you don't want something leaked, you NEVER put it on a machine that's connected to the internet, EVER. There's no such thing as "safe" on an internet connected machine.

While theft of this sort is wrong, I really don't have much sympathy for Sony. Exposing sensitive material to the internet (i.e. placing it on machines or networks that ate connected to the internet) is like leaving your car unlocked overnight overnight in the worst neighborhood in town.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4044839 - 12/03/14 01:10 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Thanks for the headsup. Fully agree with your thoughts behind it. The irony is that the biggest players fail as regularly and specatularly as small companies.

#4044853 - 12/03/14 01:31 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Did you hear who they think this is? North Korea, because of the movie with Seth Rogen & James Franco called the Interview where they get an interview with Kim Jung-un and the CIA asks them to kill him.

Reports last night say this hack has NK fingerprints all over it.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4044857 - 12/03/14 01:34 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
And if that's true, it should be even more embarrassing for Sony. Way to go, you were bested a guy in North Korea.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
#4044858 - 12/03/14 01:35 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
Originally Posted By: Chris2525

This is what I don't understand: Why the hell do people expose sensitive material to the internet? If you don't want something to get leaked, why would you EVER plug an internet cable into the machine that material resides in? What, they think "it's ok, we have cyber-security measures in place! We'll be fine!"?. Don't people understand that that's just a challenge to hackers? What on earth is so difficult about the concept of standalone machines, local networks that aren't connected to the internet, and transmission via physical storage devices? This is what we do in the Department of National Defense. If you don't want something leaked, you NEVER put it on a machine that's connected to the internet, EVER. There's no such thing as "safe" on an internet connected machine.

Maybe it was the Cylons. Looks like BSG got it right then smile

SD

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#4044861 - 12/03/14 01:46 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
Re: North Korea. I think we have our suspect - the one guy in North Korea who knows how to use a computer:

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/IrCQh1usdzE?t=15m42s[/video]

#4044867 - 12/03/14 02:00 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
And they say the leaked files have been downloaded over a Million times. And they might possibly
contain Malware that could take over your computer. So warn the kiddies to stay away if using the
family computer.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4044871 - 12/03/14 02:11 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Viral advertising IMO. Fury has already been out, and you're either taking the kids to see Annie or you aren't, regardless. Not much damage done, if it even happened. Any proof these are actually out there anyway? Odd the "offending movie" itself wasn't included as hacked and released, which would have made more sense for revenge. No customer info leaked, like with PlayStation accounts, so people don't feel threatened....
I have my doubts.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4044873 - 12/03/14 02:17 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: JimK]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: JimK
And they say the leaked files have been downloaded over a Million times. And they might possibly
contain Malware that could take over your computer.

Convenient. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4044879 - 12/03/14 02:29 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Fury is already out of our movie theater which I'm shocked about. Yet Gone Girl is still playing.

#4044886 - 12/03/14 02:35 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
What on earth is so difficult about the concept of standalone machines, local networks that aren't connected to the internet, and transmission via physical storage devices?

Some people have real difficulty with this concept, to them an online connection is as vital for a PC to function as electricity.

I had this conversation not long ago regarding my home network (two desktops and a laptop), someone told me using Win98/2000/XP was unsafe even though it's offline. My network isn't even wireless, it's completely local and still I hear, "You think you're safe but if someone wants to break in, they'll find a way". Yeah, if they physically break into my house maybe.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4044888 - 12/03/14 02:37 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Top Gun]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Top Gun
Fury is already out of our movie theater which I'm shocked about. Yet Gone Girl is still playing.

War movies as a general rule are a tough sell at the box office. Murder/Crime thrillers usually do MUCH better by comparison. It's just tough to attract both the female and the under 30 crowd to war films.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4044902 - 12/03/14 03:00 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
Sony hacked only a few years after they infected hundreds of thousands of PCs with the rootkit DRM they had on their Sony music CDs - that they didn't tell people about and that left peoples' computers vulnerable to hackers....

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11369

What's that about laughing loudest and laughing last? wink

Question everything!
#4044925 - 12/03/14 04:08 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Reports say that this was a Sony Pictures group breach, not all of Sony, and some suggestions that it was an inside job from a disgruntled employee.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4045051 - 12/03/14 09:03 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Viral advertising IMO. Fury has already been out, and you're either taking the kids to see Annie or you aren't, regardless. Not much damage done, if it even happened. Any proof these are actually out there anyway? Odd the "offending movie" itself wasn't included as hacked and released, which would have made more sense for revenge. No customer info leaked, like with PlayStation accounts, so people don't feel threatened....
I have my doubts.

Yes, there's proof. Putlocker was running a bad camcorder version of Fury just a few days ago. Now they've got a DVD quality screener up. See for yourself if you don't mind visiting Putlocker (virus and popup warning). Likewise, you can see the DVD version popping up on Piratebay a few days ago. Same goes for Annie. Unreleased DVD versions of both movies appeared on piracy sites on the 28th, so it's real.

As for not much damage done, are you kidding me? Do you know how much money Sony stands to lose by having movies they planned to rent and sell being released to the public for free? You realize that selling and renting movies is one of the ways that movie studios make money, right? DVDs, electronic sell-through and subscription video-on-demand (like netflix) is an $18 billion a year industry. There's a reason why movies arne't just distributed for free by their owners.

And the fact that they didn't release "The Interview" could be due to any number of reasons. Maybe the computer(s) successfully hacked didn't happen to contain that particular movie. Or if the theory that North Korea is behind this is true, their motive was to suppress that movie. How would flooding the internet with free copies of a movie they're trying to suppress make any sense?

#4045057 - 12/03/14 09:20 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
People that pirate movies pirate movies, they don't bother buying or renting. Those movies would eventually be up there anyway. The average movie goer and renter has no idea who Piratebay is, much less Putlucker (whom I've never heard of either). Still odd to me "they" would get Fury and Annie, and NOT the movie that supposedly started all of this.
Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell. Perhaps. Until then:
Viral. Advertising.

#4045077 - 12/03/14 10:10 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
People that pirate movies pirate movies, they don't bother buying or renting.

I do both. Now I won't be renting Fury when it comes out because I already saw it for free. Once again, there's a reason why film studios don't just upload their movies to YouTube once they're out of theaters. Do you not understand why that is?

Those movies would eventually be up there anyway. The average movie goer and renter has no idea who Piratebay is, much less Putlucker (whom I've never heard of either).

Enough people use pirated movies to warrant the film industry investing millions of dollars in fighting piracy.

Still odd to me "they" would get Fury and Annie, and NOT the movie that supposedly started all of this.

I already explained this. Just because hackers were able to steal those two movies doesn't mean they had access to all Sony movies. You see to be under the assumption that these hacker broke into some central vault where all the movies are stored. In reality, they probably broke into a bunch of Sony employees' workstations and laptops.

Viral. Advertising.

Viral advertizing? Why would someone advertize for a movie by offering if for free? Please explain how Sony benefits by releasing "pirated" version of their own movie.

#4045086 - 12/03/14 10:42 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

It's not a victimless crime! Or so the ads say!

Really though arguments can be made both ways. While some pirates may only want to watch a movie once and then never again (and then the owner losses a sale/ticket) most are not that way. If they like the movie a lot of people will buy it. (I am that way. If I watch something I like on netflix I will just buy it) and others steal just to steal or collect with no intention of ever watching or buying.

The owner wants to classify all pirates as the first (lost sale) and the pirates want to all classify themselves as the later (never had the intention of buying / only interested in watching for free ie no lost sale).

In truth it is normally mostly somewhere in between where piracy does equal some lost sales but it also produces some sales. I would imagine that if you threw out all the extremes piracy is closer to breaking even in sales leaning on the loss of sale side of the equation. It sure as **** is no where near what the owner would have you believe though.

There are just too many factors in the equations for it to be purely black and white. For instance in some countries people WOULD buy if the price was reasonable but import fees / taxes and refusal to sell the product for a reasonable rate compared to local income means pirating or buying pirated is the only option. Yet all of those sales are lumped into the same "loss of sale" category by owner.

Last edited by Master; 12/03/14 10:43 PM.
#4045094 - 12/03/14 11:14 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
People that pirate movies pirate movies, they don't bother buying or renting.

I do both. Now I won't be renting Fury when it comes out because I already saw it for free. Once again, there's a reason why film studios don't just upload their movies to YouTube once they're out of theaters. Do you not understand why that is?

Those movies would eventually be up there anyway. The average movie goer and renter has no idea who Piratebay is, much less Putlucker (whom I've never heard of either).

Enough people use pirated movies to warrant the film industry investing millions of dollars in fighting piracy.

Still odd to me "they" would get Fury and Annie, and NOT the movie that supposedly started all of this.

I already explained this. Just because hackers were able to steal those two movies doesn't mean they had access to all Sony movies. You see to be under the assumption that these hacker broke into some central vault where all the movies are stored. In reality, they probably broke into a bunch of Sony employees' workstations and laptops.

Viral. Advertising.

Viral advertizing? Why would someone advertize for a movie by offering if for free? Please explain how Sony benefits by releasing "pirated" version of their own movie.

If you're one of those that downloads pirated movies, I doubt they were holding their breath hoping you'd actually pay up the $2 to rent anything. That hurts Red Box, DirecTv and the like more than Sony though.
The movie I'm referring to as the subject of viral advertising is "The Interview", which was not leaked, obviously. Fury has been out. Those that would go to see Annie probably wouldn't pirate it for their kids rather than go to the theater. But who knows, maybe there are cheapskates that would?
They picked some safe movies to do this with, knowing they would end up pirated anyway. Might as well make the pirates work for them for a change and get something out of it. In fact, just because these movies are out there doesn't mean this is actually the source.

#4045100 - 12/03/14 11:24 PM Re: Sony Cyber Attack [Re: Chris2525]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
So you think it's all a big conspiracy? Again, I'll ask - to what end? What does Sony gain by giving away their movies for free?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.