Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4042800 - 11/28/14 08:03 PM Anyone still play Dayz?  
shadowwarrior99 Offline
shadowwarrior99  Offline

Not played Dayz at all since I stopped playing with the SHQ guys. Came and had a look at stuff today but not sure I can really be bothered...clunky arma 2 menus etc....

What is the mod everyone is playing?

I kept my gtx 690 for GTAV but it is still not out, for over a whole year I have not used this beast of a gfx card for anything more than Photoshop...what a waste :/

Peace all - and if SHQ read this I hope you are well smile

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4042942 - 11/29/14 02:21 AM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
I haven't played in about 3 months because I'm away from home. But, when I get back home in another 3 months, I'll be playing again.

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

#4044283 - 12/02/14 05:33 AM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
I think the few guys that are playing the mod play the Epoch version but I have no idea what server they're on. The other half of the gang play the standalone but its hit and miss because of the state of the game and playtimes.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4044415 - 12/02/14 03:25 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Spyder512 Offline
Spyder512  Offline

Franklinville, New Jersey
I joined a private shard RP/Realism server and it enhances my play a TON. Specifically the big change is they have a No KOS rule.... you can still be a bandit and rob people if you want, your just not allowed to just kill someone for #%&*$# n gigs or because u want that guys mosin. After you make contact, if the guy your trying to rob decides he doesn't want to comply, now you've got permission to use deadly force. Makes for tense meetings when you run into another player, and luckily the server usually has a decent bit of traffic... I've seen it up to 20 players on at the same time a few times, and easily have enough members actually signed up to fill the server a few times over.

Downside - right now only 1 server, it's location is in Germany so my ping here in the eastern USA isn't awesome, but isn't horrible either. Usually I'm around 110 - 140 depending on the time of day and how many people are on the server.

Anyway, if you wanna check it out: http://falcondayzrp.com/ maybe you'll get a little more fun out of the current state DayZ is in playing with other people who want to really try to experience it in a, IMO, way better and fun way.

#4044431 - 12/02/14 03:55 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I just played Dayz for the 1st time again in several weeks. Grabbed a lot of decent gear, then stumbled upon another survivor who immediately opened fire on me, missing all shots. I didn't.

So, guess it's still business as usual in Chernarus.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4045191 - 12/04/14 03:41 AM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Apparently updated last night, with basic trucks introduced to Stable.
The hunt for a full jerry-can is on, ha!

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4047436 - 12/08/14 01:17 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
I logged back on to give the trucks and ghillie suits a try. I managed to find one of the trucks. It worked fine right out of the box - no need for maintenance or jerry cans. Then I stopped to loot a village, server restarted and it disappeared.

As for the ghillie suits, the ingredients are netting (new item) and burlap strips (crafted made from burlap sacks). The netting is EXTREMELY rare, but I managed to find a bundle of four hidden under an overturned rowboat on the coast and made a ghille hood and a gun wrap from my AKM. If I'm not mistaken, the gun wraps are universal now and will work on all long guns - not just the mosin. The hood combined with a camo bandana face covering looks pretty tight.

I also crafted a ghille bushrag (kind of like a cape) but it replaces your backpack, which obviously sucks. They should change it so the bushrag can be worn over backpacks.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
#4047860 - 12/09/14 01:55 AM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  

California
Thats pretty neat Chris!

#4048046 - 12/09/14 02:15 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
Yeah, it is. Too bad about the bushrag and the top not being compatible with a backpack, but the hood alone is pretty good. It breaks up the head and shoulders very well. Stand in a bush with your lower body concealed by the branches and you'll be more or less invisible.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
#4048071 - 12/09/14 03:09 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Bad Hair Day! biggrin

#4048158 - 12/09/14 06:26 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
I still play a little bit of Epoch, a friend has a server running but I find it gets quite boring and DayZ standalone has been killed with Rocket's obsession over being able to wear different pieces of clothing rather than get the fundamental features in that made DayZ mod so much fun like making a camp site or base and vehicles, weapons etc.

#4048330 - 12/09/14 10:30 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: Revvin]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted By: Revvin
I still play a little bit of Epoch, a friend has a server running but I find it gets quite boring and DayZ standalone has been killed with Rocket's obsession over being able to wear different pieces of clothing rather than get the fundamental features in that made DayZ mod so much fun like making a camp site or base and vehicles, weapons etc.

Fanboys would have you believe it was BIS who was making Rocket focus on the fluff, but I don't know. I wouldn't have a hard time believing it was Rocket, given his proven penchant for totally absurd priorities (ridiculous overemphasis on physiology, hunger, thirst etc).

One thing's for sure, DayZ has piles of unimportant junk, but still lacks in basic functionality.

#4048549 - 12/10/14 02:50 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: Chris2525]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Chris2525
Fanboys would have you believe it was BIS who was making Rocket focus on the fluff, but I don't know. I wouldn't have a hard time believing it was Rocket, given his proven penchant for totally absurd priorities (ridiculous overemphasis on physiology, hunger, thirst etc).

One thing's for sure, DayZ has piles of unimportant junk, but still lacks in basic functionality.

I agree, BIS has a proven track record of delivering their products, Rocket is a mod makers who struck it lucky. He seems to obsess over trivial things like being able to wear different colour socks over getting core content in that made DayZ what it was. I remember the group I played with got into DayZ very early on and Rocket had an almost tyrannical hold over server hosts, blacklisting servers for the most minor of changes when it was gamers putting their hand in their pockets to host servers that helped make it a success. Later on one member of the group got into contributing towards the mod and some of the stories he told me made me wonder how anyone stuck around Rocket, he seemed to have a real ego. When you look at where Epoch has taken the mod version with its single currency, trader camps and a wealth of vehicles, weapons and base building potential its hard not to point he finger at Rocket when he pulls stunts like announcing a roadmap like he did last year without consulting his team or BIS.

#4049460 - 12/12/14 04:23 AM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  

California
I think Rocket has a very minimal role in the development cycle (if any) at this stage since he's left the project to pursue his own development studio. I wish they would make better progress on key features too but I think IMO that those key issues aren't as easy to work out in the engine as we would believe. Which is why they continue to push out content that we view as unimportant while we're left waiting.

#4050313 - 12/14/14 09:00 AM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I agree with Hitch, content like hats is probably quite easy to add to whatever version of DayZ we have and the resources working on those are different than the ones working on the engine. Of course, when you are invited into the development (albeit as paying guests) like we are right now, you get to see a lot of the not-so-great parts of development. I have worked on a lot of consumer product software projects and it's rarely until the very end that they get the very exciting stuff we all rave about later.

Having a guy like Rocket with the vision he had of the whole DayZ game was the only reason we got it at all. So what if people are complaining about his way of running things. Do you think Steve Jobs was esay to work with? None of the people that get things going are easy to work with. To say that Rocket struck it lucky is an insult. He had a vision, stuck with it and succeeded because of that. If he had let the servers run wild, the whole game would probably have ended up as most other mods out there, played and enjoyed by few.

-C-

#4050977 - 12/15/14 06:13 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
He spent a year re-writing the inventory system and UI because he obsessed over being able to wear a different colour hat, whats more important? running around in a unique orange crash helmet or having the ability to create a camp, fix up a vehicle, find weapons etc. He obsesses over small things and forgets the bigger picture and in the meantime DayZ Epoch has added enhanced base building with clip together object functionality, a single currency, trader camps to give that post apocalyptic feel. When you look at how far Epoch has come with a bunch of guys modding a game trying to work around issues because they can't change parts of the code else it would break ARMA 2 for anything else and then you have Rocket with full developer support who is still obsessed over giving the player the option of wearing different socks.

As for his draconian control over servers, you could have your server blacklisted which rendered it useless for such trivial things as not having a name approved by Rocket, changing the time (so if you played in a certain timezone you always had night, oh well tough luck buddy)You could not alter load-outs, maximum player count or even password your own server. He burnt bridges with a lot of groups with his arrogance and even more bridges in the ARMA modding community. He talks a good talk about being like Valve one day, well he needs to finish one game first.

#4057361 - 12/29/14 08:12 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
shadowwarrior99 Offline
shadowwarrior99  Offline

I don't think it is fair to crit Rocket too much...before Dayz there was nothing like it so congrats to him!

It is the same at work, I write and self publish books on Amazon and every time Amazon changes something people scream blue murder at it, without realising if it wasn't for Amazon there would be no self publishing at all!

Does anyone know where Dayz is going currently?

We have A2+AO+Dayz+x mod
A3 Dayz Overpoch
Dayz Standalone.

Personally I see more of a future with A3 but not so sure anyone else does.... there is only one Mod out for it (Overpoch) which is basically Epoch with silly weaponry.

I would love to see a decent A3 Epoch. Or even Chernarus on A3...

I still have love for Arma2 Dayz Epoch but the install and patching process along with the clunky GUI just breaks it or me....

#4057635 - 12/30/14 02:30 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Damn! Smiley, you're still alive! Great seeing ya

Happy New Year

#4058544 - 01/01/15 03:49 PM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: shadowwarrior99]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
There were zombie mods for the original ARMA game and plenty of other zombie games in different guises its not like Rocket invented the genre. I'm not trying to rubbish what he's done, DayZ mod was a lot of fun and it certainly caught on and helped sell a lot more copies of ARMA 2 but I'm not going to put him up on some kind of pedestal. He was helped by a lot of people who modded ARMA 2 and took a dump on quite a few of them when his ego took hold and he started to believe some of his own hype.

Buying DayZ Standalone on day 1 was a no brainer given the enjoyment I'd had with DayZ mod despite a lot of issues along the way but I can't help but feel Rocket has missed the boat through him becoming obsessed with smaller details and losing sight of the game as a whole. Features he has added like being able to change individual pieces of clothing and rip single pages out of books are all well and good if the game is 99% done and you're just adding features but in the same time period Epoch added such things as a single currency, trader camps and many additional new vehicles and the ability to build large bases and fortify buildings. Its maybe strayed away a little from the raw survival element of DayZ but you can tune your own server to include as much or as little as you want.

I find the UI in Standalone just as clunky and unfriendly as ARMA 2 and yet this is where we're told a lot of the work was done. Apps like DayZ Commander make it much easier to keep up, I agree the mods can be cumbersome to keep up to date but DayZ Commander is so easy even an ARMA newcomer like my missus can use it and keep her install up to date, either that or SixUpdater though I prefer DayZ Commander for its ease of use.

#4060257 - 01/06/15 02:19 AM Re: Anyone still play Dayz? [Re: Revvin]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
I thought he was on his way out. Certainly not getting things done any faster by hanging around.

I haven't touched DayZ for nearly a year and don't have much inclination either. Used to be all that I play.

Where's the game at right now ? Still messing around with all that cosmetic BS ? (spray painting weapons in pink....*stupid*)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.