Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4041764 - 11/26/14 08:16 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Some issues I have with 2.0 does not mean I am unhappy with it but they stand out to me from a few hours of flying.

Just a few planes I tested and some seat positions in cockpits are still off so that the bullets don't hit where you would think and forcing you to have to constantly move around in your seat and then reset trackir.The Gotha pilot sits off center of his seat and feels weird as I need to constantly lean over and recenter trackir also.

The Gotha elevator is way too powerful.Nose ups and nose downs and even turns can be done super rapidly and I feel this is off a bit.

The Nieuport family of planes already had the turbulence effect and I find that its over exaggerated now in those planes.This causes an xtra layer of difficulty to aim properly in them that I don't think this family of planes should have in regards to the other planes.maybe the Nieuport 16. biggrin

The Aviatik C.I now has ability to drop 8 bombs which is great as it was broken before.The only other plane I tested so far,The DFW CV,still drops all 3 of its bombs at once.

The gun sight button still cycles thru varying positions dependent on plane.

I am so lost in what buttons to press to go to say the bomb sight and then back to cockpit or jumping from pilot to gunner and then back.Bomb sight button should cycle between that and the pilots view while gunner station button should cycle between all gunners and back to cockpit view.IMO of course but right now I get lost and at times find it difficult to just get back to pilots seat.

Oh well,that is all for now and I hope to not come across as being unhappy with 2.0 as I actually am happy.Cheers to OBD guys!

bottles

#4041772 - 11/26/14 08:30 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

My 1st impression: Oh %^&*. Screen goes blank after Briefing then a msg reading WOFF DLL's didnt load or run time error. I dont think its DX9 since the screen does not show anything.

Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks.
banghead

#4041781 - 11/26/14 08:42 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: carrick58]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: carrick58
wave

My 1st impression: Oh %^&*. Screen goes blank after Briefing then a msg reading WOFF DLL's didnt load or run time error. I dont think its DX9 since the screen does not show anything.

banghead

Well thats a bit of a far flung conclusion to draw?

Try this first:

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4041135/WOFF_EXPANSION_TROUBLESHOOTING#Post4041135\

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#4041782 - 11/26/14 08:42 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: carrick58]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

It does sound like a dx9 issue to me. I'd suggest to reinstall directx 9 runtimes (full version and not web installer) just in case. Use Google search to find it and download from Microsoft's official web site.

EDIT: elaborated my answer.

Last edited by OldHat; 11/26/14 08:53 PM.
#4041786 - 11/26/14 08:45 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Don't use google search though for the DX9 install, please read the thread WM posted a link to. It has FULL explanation and correct link for downloading from an official Microsoft source!

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4041887 - 11/26/14 11:01 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
manfas Offline
manfas  Offline

I'm delighted with a new "hard-core" claim system but there is an issue which in my opinion reduces an immersion feeling.

The number of destroyed planes or balloons is not available in "hard" mode on the "Details" screen so making claims is more realistic now and this is great. I've shot at two Nieuports in my latest mission but I've observed only one of them hit the ground so I claimed only one victory. Alas, I was surprised when I checked first page of dossier of my pilot and I saw 2 claims. The simplest explanation is the other Nieuport also crashed (maybe somewhere behind enemy lines) and "Claims" section in the dossier shows me total number of destroyed planes even when there were no claims. Could you fix it?

#4041924 - 11/27/14 12:13 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: carrick58]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
wave

banghead

Hey Carrick, same issue here and working with WM to get resolved. Nothing yet. Please let me know if you find your issue. Are you on 8.1 OS?

#4041927 - 11/27/14 12:16 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
Is it my imagination or is the picture more crisp than it was before? The colors seem better and the view from the interior of the plane of the stuff close (like the top wing) seem much sharper.

Beard

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4041936 - 11/27/14 12:43 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Burning_Beard]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Burning_Beard
Is it my imagination or is the picture more crisp than it was before? The colors seem better and the view from the interior of the plane of the stuff close (like the top wing) seem much sharper.

Beard

See that's just it. It seems to me there are things that have been improved, yet I'm not seeing anything about them listed in the V2.0 Features. I get the wind buffeting has been added back in, but I don't think that accounts for what feels like FM changes in how the planes handle. Maybe it's all a placebo effect but there seems to me to be more improvements than just what they listed 'on the box'.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4041941 - 11/27/14 12:51 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
pkpowers Offline
pkpowers  Offline

LOVELY WEST TEXAS
I'm seeing much improved frame rates, esp. at time increases 2 x 4x 8x; at 8x I use to get reduced to 5 fps !!! now I am seeing 45 to 50 fps at 8x ; this is great!!!

#4041942 - 11/27/14 12:52 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Xitax Offline
Xitax  Offline

Washington, USA
I decided to jump into a Gotha IV to try things out. My first bombing mission, the mission leader didn't drop any bombs and kept going straight infinitely after passing the target. I had to quit while over the middle of the Channel.

#4042007 - 11/27/14 04:19 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
After working out my WOFF crash issues, I have been able to spend about an hour now flying various planes and regions. Truly a new world in WOFF v2.0. Here is what I have noted so far as positives:

- FPS increased to a steady 55 top 60. In WOFF 1.26 my FPS was averaging about 45. I can now advance at 8x
and enjoy smooth motion. 16x studders but is acceptable.
- Graphics/Bump Mapping/DX9 Shaders are gorgeous and have a real world feel. Everything seems to be crisp
and sharp. Absolutely love the sun glare and shimmer on the planes wings. Excellent work here!
- FM changes quite noticeable right away and very enjoyable. I have a force feedback stick with rudder
pedals and the planes reaction to the controls feel quite realistic. I have had the pleasure of flying
passenger in a bi-plane on two occasions and is as close to the experience I can get especially in the
SE5a.

Off to hunt some Zeps and experience the night patrols.

Thanks OBD for the immediate and quick response to support issues and releasing a wonderful expansion to an already fantastic sim! cheers

#4042014 - 11/27/14 04:31 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

Tail spin: Na I am win 7.

#4042053 - 11/27/14 07:08 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Blooddawn1942 Offline
Blooddawn1942  Offline

Germany
In yesterdays campaign mission I had some trouble with the new claim logic. I downed 2 DFW c5 and 2 Albatros DIII. There was no doubt that I downed them and not any of my squadmates. They all went down in flames and black smoke after I got several bursts on them.
After the sortie I filled in the claim naming a witness. And they told me that I can't do any claims because there were no witnesses.
Never had such issues before.
But I must admit, that I never ever downed 4 AC in a campaign mission before. Maximum was 2. Guess I had a lucky day.

Outgunned, outnumbered though never outclassed!
#4042060 - 11/27/14 08:04 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
LowDrag Offline
LowDrag  Offline

Carrick, as mentioned in an other thread before, I had the same issues, blank screen after hitting "Go to field button". The issue was directX9 related, so using standard shaders helped.

Another option for me is to use directX9 shaders and select cloud shadow scale to "0".

Working fine since then, I can enjoy the other improvements apart from cloud shadows, and they are huge indeed. Winder, Pol, followed the instructions to do a directX9 install and to install the latest graphics drivers, but this did not help so far... Am happy with the setup as it is now though, great improvements, like the wind effects and the further improved AI. Great update, well done, devs!!!

Tailspinner, which driver version are you using for your graphics card? Using an AMD card and am with version 13-9 now after the update. This is not the latest one available, but the latest one which was installing with my card... Using an older Radeon HD 4800, maybe this is why the newer drivers failed to install-Installer aborted the installation package, tried 14-9 and 14-11 beta. After several attempts I tried an AMD program ("AMDdriverdownloader") to autodetect my setup and to point me to the appropriate driver, and this tool selected Catalyst 13-09...

#4042214 - 11/27/14 05:06 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
SteveW Offline
SteveW  Offline

Albuquerque, NM USA
WOFF 2.0 installed and I'm off and running. No techie problems so far and the 'look' of it all is beautiful. One thing though, I launched an old N11 campaign just to get the feel of the aircraft, doing that with my other standards too. So I'm flying along, sun at my six and my gauges are obscured by the sunlight, hey devs do you think you could come up with something so I could shade the gauges with my hand?

Homage to Charles Dickens
"Please sir may I have some more"
"More, more, , , they want some more!"

Just kidding, as always the devs did a fantastic job, WOFF 2.0 is a true joy and along with everyone else when some "more" does arrive I'll be in line with everyone else. Great job, fellas'.

Today is a holiday here in the US. Be thankful everybody!

#4042239 - 11/27/14 05:54 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

Kaische, I am still Fightin the DX although I don't know why. The Vid Card is a HD 5770 and was put together to run DX11 so everything should work. I will try setting the clouds to 0 and see if that works. I don't really want to play with new drivers so they are at the bottom of my list of things to try. I will try a clean re install of the DX download and see if that's where I went wrong. My thanks to all who gave guidance with this problem. I think that maybe, I didn't read the Trouble shooting tips prior to installing is where I went wrong.
In other words, If all else fails , Read the directions.

#4042256 - 11/27/14 06:26 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Kaische, carrick58,
You should contact support or create a new thread in technical issues subforum so the problem won't get lost in this thread.
I suspect older Radeons don't support one certain feature I use for cloud shadows, but I can't test it as I don't have a Radeon. You should also post contents of your Logs\EnhancedShaders.log file (from WOFF installation folder) - this log may clarify the exact cause of your problems. There is no need to guess smile

#4042292 - 11/27/14 07:29 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Xitax]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Xitax
I decided to jump into a Gotha IV to try things out. My first bombing mission, the mission leader didn't drop any bombs and kept going straight infinitely after passing the target. I had to quit while over the middle of the Channel.

But actually it's usually because YOU are the pilot, and are "in control" because you are sitting in Bombardier seat. In this seat you micro control the direction and the Autopilot lets you.

So the reason it goes straight is due to you not doing anything1

Sometimes you may even have switched view outside etc, but you are still on a bomb aiming rum overriding the AI Auto pilot.

So go to main VC Pilot VC view and it should switch back to Autopilot control.

Will be changed this behaviour a little in the next patch to make it not "lock on a course".

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4042296 - 11/27/14 07:35 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

These are my thoughts after sitting down to fly a single 2.5 hour mission without time compression:

Shadows and bump mapping are a great addition. I especially like how there are no shadows when the sun is concealed behind clouds, but maybe adjusting the brightness of the planes surfaces to be darker when this happens would look better. Are ground shadows from trees supposed to be visible above 5,000 ft? seems a bit strange.

I use the Dots without labels and I noticed the great work done to make their color less visible through the plane's structure and also the effect of making them look more natural as it progresses from a dot to a plane lod.

Wind effect is good. However, it would be nice to have a dial showing wind direction and speed because pilots would always know this while flying. Has anyone noticed if the wind speed and direction are varied at different altitudes or is it constant?

I didn't notice any difference in FM of the Bristol scout.

I do notice that the external sounds like trains, shelling, etc.. are not heard above the engine sound anymore, so that's good, but when a plane goes down in flames, their engine and sound effects are very loud and I can hear them above my own engine sound.

I'm sure that I'll have more to write as I fly more missions.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM