Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4041462 - 11/26/14 12:30 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: KodiakJac]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
I got home from work early today. Case settled. Before I head out for week, I fire up the game. Let's see what is new if anything. Maybe put it on autopilot for a while to get some of what I paid for to begin with....

Ahhh: Can't play because cannot connect to server. Of course, there is no such thing as offline.

You can't make this #%&*$# up.

I play offline all the time. I play mostly offline. Perhaps there is a short between the headset.

Airdrop is mad at the game, Bearcat. How does that warrant an insult from you? Forum members are supposed to come here to talk about games. You seem to mostly show up here to talk about forum members.

Games are different than people, Bearcat. Airdrop wasn't even speaking to you or about you, he was talking about an inanimate object. Yet you jump in his face with an insult. What's wrong with you?

Since when is suggesting possible pilot error.. which does happen.. an insult? For crying out loud some of you folks need to get thicker skins... The highlighted portion of your statement is not even worth replying to.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4041597 - 11/26/14 03:56 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Pilot error? Maybe it means something different to you on that side of the pond but it sounds to me like you were suggesting that Airdrop was retarded or something. I personally would take it as an insult.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4041601 - 11/26/14 04:04 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
He was implying Airdrop was possibly doing something wrong on his end, then coming on here to fume about it. Nothing wrong or offensive with that.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4041632 - 11/26/14 04:49 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Bearcat99]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.

Since when is suggesting possible pilot error.. which does happen.. an insult? For crying out loud some of you folks need to get thicker skins... The highlighted portion of your statement is not even worth replying to.

Sure wish you could have brought that same "thicker skins" attitude to the BoS forums. It seems not to apply there at all.

#4041638 - 11/26/14 04:56 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Bearcat99]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

Pointing out a possible pilot error wasn't the issue…it was the insult you through in at the end (personal attack). It's been edited out now and you received a warning from the moderator apparently.

Is that maybe refreshing your memory a little?

Edit: (oops…I just saw Murphy spelled it out on the previous page)

Last edited by Force10; 11/26/14 04:58 PM.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4041639 - 11/26/14 05:00 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
This is the line.

One more post, directed at a member of SimHqs, and this thread is gone.
I've commented on the 'remark', and edited as many posts as I'm willing to.
I didn't like it, don't think it was necessary, but it's not the end of the world here at SimHqs.
NOBODY would be banned here, for posting a remark like that....'once'.
I've warned the people involved.

Let's move on.

edit;
Sorry Force10, our posts crossed online.
No problem, and thanks for keeping a cool head. smile

Last edited by Murphy; 11/26/14 05:01 PM.

"Murphy's Law"
#4041643 - 11/26/14 05:08 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Murphy]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Murphy
This is the line.

One more post, directed at a member of SimHqs, and this thread is gone.
I've commented on the 'remark', and edited as many posts as I'm willing to.
I didn't like it, don't think it was necessary, but it's not the end of the world here at SimHqs.
NOBODY would be banned here, for posting a remark like that....'once'.
I've warned the people involved.

Let's move on.

edit;
Sorry Force10, our posts crossed online.
No problem, and thanks for keeping a cool head. smile

Yeah…sorry Murph…I didn't notice right away that you had edited the post on the other page…it's all good!

How about a new thread from you introducing our new moderator CyBerkut so we can give him a proper welcome?

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4041658 - 11/26/14 05:31 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Oh, he's here Force10, just getting his footing, reading.

And I do believe members should make a sincere attempt to stop the personal jabs, back and forth between each other. Cyberkut has no skin in the game, he does not play the flight sim, and doesn't care one way or the other what side you are on.

He's here representing SimHqs, 'only'.

I am certain that will soon, become apparent. wink

Nice to hear from you BTW smile
Stick around, this should be interesting.

Murphy.

"Murphy's Law"
#4041690 - 11/26/14 06:10 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Well, I see the cat is out of the bag.

For the record, I see things the same as what Murphy posted. (Big surprise, huh?)

Discuss the game, the marketing, the design decisions all you want. It's expected that people will disagree on the merits, or lack thereof, on those things. While doing that however, refrain from calling someone names or stating/implying something derogatory about them. Address the content of their posted positions/arguments, and you should be fine. If you address their personal characteristics in some derogatory way, you're not fine anymore.

People are entitled to like/love the game. People are entitled to dislike/hate the game. There is room here for both. If you think somebody's post is erroneous, and you feel like this guy:

you should be able to offer an opposing view without personally insulting them. In the long run, folks here will notice your consistent self-restraint, and appreciate your efforts.

Carry on, y'all !!! [ Singing Kumbaya is strictly optional. wink ]

#4041709 - 11/26/14 06:52 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
A "short between the headset" was the same term we used to designate pilot error when I was in an A-7 squadron almost 40 years ago working on HUDs and doppler radar... The real pilots then were not insulted by the term so I find it ironic that some desktop jockeys would be insulted by the term..

Any who... good luck with your issue.

Congrats Cy.

#4041732 - 11/26/14 07:34 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Bearcat99]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
A "short between the headset" was the same term we used to designate pilot error when I was in an A-7 squadron almost 40 years ago working on HUDs and doppler radar... The real pilots then were not insulted by the term so I find it ironic that some desktop jockeys would be insulted by the term.

Wow…makes me wish we were all in that same A-7 squadron 40 years ago so we would have known not to be offended.

Regardless…your "statement" was wrong… Airdrop cannot play his campaign in offline mode. That's important info for potential buyers to be aware of. I imagine if you accused a pilot in your A-7 squadron of a pilot error and it turned out to be a false accusation…a real pilot would admit he made a mistake in the accusation…we won't hold our breath though.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4041784 - 11/26/14 08:44 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Whatever man. That the campaign was online only was not a secret.

#4041827 - 11/26/14 09:41 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Bearcat99]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA

This is the description of the BoS campaign on Amazon:

"Campaign - Become a pilot of either the Soviet Red Air Force or German Luftwaffe. And fly through 5 unique phases of the Stalingrad battle. As you progress through the Campaign you will learn about the history of the battle and win medals and awards."

There is no mention that the player must be online.

And get this:

"Custom Missions - These are custom designed stand-alone single-player missions where you can fly to hone your combat skills. Our powerful Mission Editor can be used to create custom missions."

The Mission Editor is not included in the product yet, but based on this statement Amazon customers are being lead to believe it is part of the current product that they would be purchasing. This is deliberately misleading.

http://www.amazon.com/IL-2-Sturmovik-Bat...e+of+stalingrad

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4041843 - 11/26/14 10:10 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Bearcat99]  
Cloyd Offline
Cloyd  Offline

Cape Cod
REALLY?! When was that revealed? Is it buried somewhere in one of the 80+ DB's somewhere? Because I sure missed it! I'm strictly an offliner, have been since I kicked my online addiction almost 20 years ago (AirWarrior DOS, if you're curious).

The details of the campaign only became clear at launch. I'm one of those guys that buys EVERY FLIGHT SIM THAT MY HARDWARE WILL RUN, and even some that I can't run. I'm a daily visitor to every flight sim forum that you and everyone else is, but I usually just lurk and keep my mouth shut (check my registration date and my post count here). But, to allege that the DEVs have been upfront and clear about the nature of their intentions, particularly for offliners, is ludicrous.

I would have bought BoS anyway - just cruising around in that F4 pit is worth the price of admission. I actually just bought the FW, even though I'm a committed CRAP plane flyer. But they have very little to offer us offliners, which is a missed opportunity IMHO. We get an enhanced QMB alleging to be a campaign, requiring online connectivity for some silly reason, and little else.

What better scenario for online and offline flyers - furballs over Stalingrad, since they actually took place. But instead we get a 2D winter Stalingrad, already in ruins where the actual battle is over and done.

And you wonder why people are not jumping on the bandwagon like you are?

Cloyd

Last edited by Cloyd; 11/26/14 10:29 PM.
#4041899 - 11/26/14 11:21 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Cloyd]  
Prangster Offline
Prangster  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Cloyd
The details of the campaign only became clear at launch.

The need for an online connection has been stated in the developers blogs since the beginning and is in the system requirement on the webpage and on the front of the DVD box. It was described in detail in the the Developers Diary a month before the early access went on sale http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=12501. Really it's not a secret and the developers did all they could to spell it out to you.

System Requirements

To understand if you PC can handle IL-2: BOS we recommend using Rise of Flight as your benchmark - the recommended system requirements for Rise of Flight are found below.
Rise of Flight is available for free and you can download and play by going to the following link - riseofflight.com/tryrof/en.
We recommend these system requirements as the minimum specs for IL-2: BOS.

Windows® XP (SP3) / Vista (SP1) / Windows® 7 (SP1) / Windows® 8
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 2.6 GHz+ or Intel® Core™ i5/i7 2.6 GHz+
GPU: 1024 Mb+, GeForce GTX 260+/Radeon HD5850+
RAM: 4 Gb+
Sound: DirectX 9.0c/11 compatible
Free Hard Drive space: 10 Gb+
Internet Connection Required for Registration, Career Mode, Multiplayer and Statistics Tracking. 256 Kb/s for single-player and 1 Mb/s for multiplayer

Last edited by Prangster; 11/26/14 11:21 PM.

Ian "Prangster" Jeremiah
#4041913 - 11/26/14 11:52 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
If only the campaign or the online was as promised in that Loft post.

Oh and by the way, how is it that I could post my observation here but yet it is still my connection!? No. The BOS servers were, again, porked. That's the point. There is no offline mode and the Devs are unable to live up to their side of the technological equation on a reliable basis, probably on both software and hardware sides.

The point is what I said...this thing is so much garbage you couldn't in advance make up a prediction of such a series of screw ups if you tried.

I must have a between the ears problem though.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 11/26/14 11:53 PM. Reason: Bothe to both

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4041914 - 11/26/14 11:59 PM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Prangster Offline
Prangster  Offline

UK
I wasn't replying to your post Airdrop01. If you read my post again you'll see that I was commenting on Cloyd's point about the need for an online connection and whether this had been communicated adequately by the developers.

Last edited by Prangster; 11/27/14 12:00 AM.

Ian "Prangster" Jeremiah
#4041916 - 11/27/14 12:00 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
And thanks for the defense guys, but don't worry about it. This thing speaks for itself every time we fire it up....

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4041920 - 11/27/14 12:03 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Airdrop01]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
@prangster: I know. NP.

#4041922 - 11/27/14 12:08 AM Re: What A Piece Of Garbage [Re: Prangster]  
Cloyd Offline
Cloyd  Offline

Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: Prangster
Originally Posted By: Cloyd
The details of the campaign only became clear at launch.

The need for an online connection has been stated in the developers blogs since the beginning and is in the system requirement on the webpage and on the front of the DVD box. It was described in detail in the the Developers Diary a month before the early access went on sale http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=12501. Really it's not a secret and the developers did all they could to spell it out to you.

System Requirements

To understand if you PC can handle IL-2: BOS we recommend using Rise of Flight as your benchmark - the recommended system requirements for Rise of Flight are found below.
Rise of Flight is available for free and you can download and play by going to the following link - riseofflight.com/tryrof/en.
We recommend these system requirements as the minimum specs for IL-2: BOS.

Windows® XP (SP3) / Vista (SP1) / Windows® 7 (SP1) / Windows® 8
CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 2.6 GHz+ or Intel® Core™ i5/i7 2.6 GHz+
GPU: 1024 Mb+, GeForce GTX 260+/Radeon HD5850+
RAM: 4 Gb+
Sound: DirectX 9.0c/11 compatible
Free Hard Drive space: 10 Gb+
Internet Connection Required for Registration, Career Mode, Multiplayer and Statistics Tracking. 256 Kb/s for single-player and 1 Mb/s for multiplayer

OK. As a former boss used to say, "That's like trying to pick fly sh1t out of pepper."

Career mode? Have I been provided with a career mode? So the glorified QMB is my career, the sole provision for offline content for my $70? And I need to be online to access it? I wouldn't care so much about the online requirement to play my "career" if the content weren't so limited, primitive, and restrictive.

Cloyd

Edit: OMG, I'm up to 50 posts in 12 years, time to stop spamming these boards. Back to my hole.

Last edited by Cloyd; 11/27/14 12:13 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.