Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4041354 - 11/26/14 04:42 AM WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Ok, so let's start hearing the first impressions from those who purchased the WOFF Expansion. Obviously it just came out, so we're not talking about writing a full review. What are the things that stand out - good or bad - from your first few hours of the V2 Expansion?

My First Impressions:

Scenery - The very first thing that grabbed my attention was how the DX9 scenery looks. Immersive has long been a word used to describe WOFF, but with V2 that really took the scenery to a whole new level. Between the bump mapping, new textures, lighting effects and ground shadows from trees, clouds, etc the word I want to use to describe the scenery is Vivid! I swear sometimes while looking out of the cockpit at the ground scenery, it feels like I'm watching a movie, it looks so amazing. WOFF Expansion scenery is truly a stunning achievement!

Flight Models - Responsiveness and Feeling of Flight - The Expansion did more than just add back in "Wind buffeting". Yes, that's there again too and it's fantastic. It's much harder to keep your sights lined up one someone now because your plane often doesn't want to hold steady. There's these constant micro-adjustments you need to make and the "on rails" experience has been dramatically reduced because of that. A definate improvement there! But the stick response also feels like it been tinkered with and the results, I think, are phenomenal. The planes feel like they have a lot more weight to them. Pulling back on the stick has a slight delay to it, almost as if you can feel yourself pulling against the weight of the wind on the wings of your kite. I'm not sure how to describe it other than to say it feels so incredibly real! Between the added wind buffeting and the change in FM responsiveness, the dogfights are now far more rewarding than they have ever been in the history of W/OFF.

Add the new scenery and the improved flying experience together with the now more determined to live than ever AI and, in my personal opinion, nothing can touch WOFF V2s single player experience. Hands down, it's the best single player experience I've ever had on a flight sim, WWI or otherwise. At first I thought calling it "V2" might be a little over-sell when I heard that's what OBD had dubbed it. Now having had my hands on the stick for a few hours, I can honestly say I agree 100% that it deserves to be recognized as Version 2.0 of the WOFF franchise.

Workshop Options - Lots of nice new Workshop options to choose from. Enable or disable the DX9 depending on if your rig can handle the added shadows, bump mapping and other features. Dial the level of fidelity in on any number of things such as Cloud Shadow Density, etc. As always, OBD out-does themselves on allowing for user configurations. Other nice features added include the ability to choose Realistic or High Encounter rates to suit your play style. All in all I'm not sure what else you could really ask for in the Workshop. If you need it, it's covered.

Bugs - I've only discovered one bug so far, to my knowledge. Every now and then it plays the sound file like my pilot is getting shot, except he isn't. His health doesn't go down at all. No bloodspatter appears on the screen. No damage done to me or my plane. Sometimes there isn't even an enemy anywhere around to be seen. I'm not sure what causes it, but so far that's the only thing that seems to not be working 100% for me.

I haven't even really gotten to fly against Zepps or Gotha bombers yet or see the searchlights stabbing up through the night sky over London. Even without the 7 new flyable planes, 2 AI zepps and all the appropriate support squadrons for Englands Home Defense and Germany's Bombers, the upgrades to the existing gameplay of WOFF are actually worth the cost alone to me. But of course OBD threw those planes and Zepps in too and in doing so, added countless hours of additional enjoyment to this magnificent sim.

If you enjoy WOFF and you are looking for an excellent holiday gift for yourself, I highly recommend the WOFF Expansion! It's a Must Buy and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it has to offer yet.

EDIT - As usual, the Devs are on top of any issues and have a list of fixes already out for the next patch. Kudos again for 5 Star Support from OBD.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4041358 - 11/26/14 04:53 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Just a quick comment on my first impression.....

I just died from a stall in a DH2 4000 ft above NML and couldn't recover from a flat spin no matter what I did - this would never have happened to me in v1.26!! That damn (excellent) wind (effect) kept twisting my plane in different directions up until 50 ft above ground, then nose dived and crashed!

bloody hell yeah! thumbsup

#4041362 - 11/26/14 05:02 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Ditto.

I don't have anywhere near the words to describe the feeling of flying this sim now. It's real, as real as it can get. I look down over the fuselage and I can almost touch the clouds passing under me, and watch the shadows all around me move with every turn I make.

It's the colors, the saturation of brightness between sunlit fields and shaded meadows that draws you in. Like I told Polovski while I was testing the new mod... "if this is what flying in 1916 was really like, I can understand why these men risked their lives to do so!"

Air combat is harder, and requires more patients. My arm actually get tired from a good dogfight and I feel mentally drained, like I've really been working. Because of the added elements against your crate, you'll find yourself working the crap out of your pedals and stick just to keep on the mark while leading your enemy. It's a totally different experience.

I can't pour enough praise and emphasis on this sim. It's gone beyond anything I ever imagined a WWI air combat sim would ever produce. There is simply not enough time in our lives to delve as deep as we'd all like to to claim that we have seen every aspect of this amazing sim.

Thanks Winder .. you have placed the bar so high, it will never be passed by any one other than yourself! You have created a sim with life unlike anything ever before it.

All the best!

James
'OvS

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4041370 - 11/26/14 05:33 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Tilman Offline
Tilman  Offline

Deutschland / Essen / NRW
How do the planes feel now compared to those in Rise of Flight?
How much FPS does the new scenery take? I guess I have to put 2.0 on Santas list. wink

#4041380 - 11/26/14 07:00 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hellshade, I concur with everything you said, even the weird-but-not-game-breaking phantom bullet strike. I did a bit with Zeppelins and Gothas and they will shred you if you are not careful (and probably even if you are!) Very, very awesome and just what I was looking for!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4041389 - 11/26/14 07:34 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Blooddawn1942 Offline
Blooddawn1942  Offline

Germany
Great expansion! The new scenery experience really makes the difference!
Has anybody figured out, how to fire the upper wing Lewis on the BE 12 HD?
It won't work wether I engage the fire MG, fire canon or fire all guns button.

One thing I was wondering: Those Zeppelins are not very resilient. It takes just a couple of rounds to make them go down in Flames. (Which looks AWESOME!!!) Even with incendiary ammunition, shouldn't it be harder to bring them down due to the seperate Chambers which contains the Hydrogen and the abscence of Oxygen within those chambers?

One feature I would really whish for in the future, is a stepless zoom in the cockpit view. The step-like zoom, where I repeatly must push the button, we have now is the ONLY thing in WOFF that I don't like.

Anyway. Thanks for the great expansion. My support for any future product is more than granted!

Outgunned, outnumbered though never outclassed!
#4041391 - 11/26/14 07:46 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Tilman]  
Broadside_Uda_Barn Offline
Broadside_Uda_Barn  Offline

Honolulu, HI
Originally Posted By: Tilman
How do the planes feel now compared to those in Rise of Flight?

Good question!
opinions?

AKA: Major Awesome
System specs:
CPU: i7 3770k @3.5GHz stock w/Phanteks PH tc14pe cooler
MB: Asus Maximus V Gene
PSU: Corsair 750w
RAM: Gskill 16gb @1600
GPU: Nvidia GTX670 4GB Drivers: 314.22
Extras: MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, CH Pedals, TrackIR 5, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, ButtKicker Gamer 2, 3 24" monitors for 5760x1200
#4041400 - 11/26/14 08:18 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
manfas Offline
manfas  Offline

My first impressions:
2.0 Expansion elevate WOFF on a higher level. Thank you OBD team! The new scenery and shadows are magnificent and caused only 4-5 FPS loss which is acceptable for me in comparison with the immersion and fun they give.

I’ve played only few missions in quick combat and campaign mode so I’m not able to give full review but I’m very satisfied with new “hard-core” claim system – the number of destroyed planes or balloons is not available in the details screen so making claims is more exciting and give more immersion feeling.
The Zeppelins seem to be too easy to kill but I’ve played only one mission against them so maybe it was just lucky shot wink

Last edited by manfas; 11/26/14 09:26 AM.
#4041412 - 11/26/14 09:12 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
I also found Zeps too easy to kill. Bagged 5 of them during our first encounter, wasted not more than 10 bullets per each of them. What's more, looked like they were not objecting to it. I just left the place unscathed and with full drums. Hmmm... I wonder if they really were such easy targets. Are we by default equipped with incendiary bullets?

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
GTX 560Ti, 4 GB graphics memory
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#4041415 - 11/26/14 09:14 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Rover_27]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: Rover_27
I also found Zeps too easy to kill. Bagged 5 of them during our first encounter, wasted not more than 10 bullets per each of them. What's more, looked like they were not objecting to it. I just left the place unscathed and with full drums. Hmmm... I wonder if they really were such easy targets. Are we by default equipped with incendiary bullets?

Yes the Zeppelins have gone out with DM that is too easy - we are working on it and its easily corrected.
Also they are flying at too low an altitude - also being addressed

In terms of evasive maneuvers - well they were not really maneuverable.....so whilst they do 'evade' you wont notice it in real terms!

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#4041416 - 11/26/14 09:20 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
Thanks for quick reply. It'll be great to have more challenge when hunting them. Burning Zeps are too beautifully done to get this view with so little effort.

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#4041419 - 11/26/14 09:39 AM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Flew a mission this morning and my right shoulder almost dropped off. Formation flying was a nightmare, the bufferting was, well, great. After 30min I put auto pilot on and watched the formation cart wheel all over, was fun to watch.

screeny on take off.

Last edited by lederhosen; 11/26/14 09:40 AM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4041469 - 11/26/14 12:42 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
I'm very happy about the new Time Advance feature in campaigns. Very convenient indeed. However, while we have options like a day, a week, and a month I can't see how we can jump to another mission on the same day. Please correct me if I'm wrong but looks like this feature is no longer available.

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#4041488 - 11/26/14 01:15 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
It depends what kind of mission frequency you have in workshops. If you have historical, then it depends of which squadron and if there is an offensive going on etc. In busy times up to 3 times a day, in wintertime etc. maybe only once, if weather allows a mission.

#4041514 - 11/26/14 01:52 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
Believe it or not, my first impression upon continuing my Alb D.III campaign in Jasta 2 was "Funny, it looks exactly like it did in 1.26." But then I noticed the shadows on the ground from the trees. Very nice.

Perhaps I didn't notice much because I was already using the DX8 to 9 mod in 1.26?

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
32" Dell S3220DGF curved gaming monitor @ 2560 x 1440p @ 165 Hz
Sound BlasterX G6 External USB sound card
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones
Thrustmaster TM16000 FCS HOTAS
Logitec Pro Flight Pedals
TrackIR 5
#4041548 - 11/26/14 02:46 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Far fewer EA encounters with that setting on "realistic".
That seems appropriate to me.

The terrain is amazing now!
Turbulence hits my plane more often and much harder.

#4041564 - 11/26/14 03:12 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I'm getting dead just as easy as I was before... no change here!... hahaha

#4041567 - 11/26/14 03:15 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Slick Wilhelm]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Originally Posted By: Slick Wilhelm
Perhaps I didn't notice much because I was already using the DX8 to 9 mod in 1.26?

Well yes, the ground lighting is the main change in the mod since the Aug 30th version.
There are also some important performance and stability improvements but they don't affect the visuals.

I want to try something new with airplane look, but later and if time permits.

#4041576 - 11/26/14 03:35 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
Ankor, since you're here I think you should know. You are a genius! kneeldown

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#4041654 - 11/26/14 05:24 PM Re: WOFF Expansion V2 "First Impressions" thread [Re: Hellshade]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Wind turbulence makes even simple formation flying a challenge in light craft like the N11 where it bounces you all around like you're flying in a paper kite..... driving

EDIT: This is a good thing. thumbsup

Last edited by OldHat; 11/26/14 08:33 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM