Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
#4034851 - 11/12/14 12:15 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I watched yesterday. A rather good movie indeedy.
But one part made be laugh a little, it was the array of control panels behind Matthew McConaughey in one scene. The movie is set something like fifty or sixty or so years from now, but the panels on the wall behind him are from 1960's Boeings. I recognise the pressurisation panel from a 727 I think. There's also the latches that lock the galley trolleys in place, on the edge of the bench, they are from airliners as well.

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4035027 - 11/12/14 02:08 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Well, you're one of 3 human beings on a planet to notice that biggrin

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4036106 - 11/15/14 12:43 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I noticed it too biggrin Maybe they used a scrapped Boeing cockpit to make one of the spaceship sets.

Really, really liked the movie. Best sci-fi in years! And it was not just once that I thought of 2001 while watching it. TARS reminded me of the monolith, and I thought "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" to myself a couple of times smile

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4036475 - 11/16/14 12:08 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Saw it tonight w my kid. Very Space Odd w/out the Kubrick touch, and needed a better villian. But good diversion. Questions We were left with:

Click to reveal..

- why did MM not hang out w his long lost dying daughter more than a few minutes after missing her desperately. For 124 years. There was no rush to find AH again. After all, years for him was hours for AH.

- why was AH still alone out there when all they had to do was stop playing baseball on Saturn and go get her?

- if the tessaract was a link to Murphy's room, how could MM keep influencing and she keep decoding the watch's second hand back at the lab?

No, they weren't my only questions just the ones bugging me most!

H

[Linked Image]
#4036666 - 11/16/14 04:17 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I saw it yesterday and thought the first 2/3rds was really good, but that it fell apart after that.

To add to Heinkill's questions:

Click to reveal..
Why did the black hole send Coop to his daughter's room, and then, why was it only behind the bookcase? Just seemed like an arbitrary thing to happen. If he could end up behind the bookcase, why not in the room? And why could he affect the room at all? Just seemed like a way to add something odd at the beginning that people would wonder about through the film, but with a not-very-good explanation.

Also, how did Anne Hathaway's character land on the planet? I thought they used up all the shuttles and fuel.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4037413 - 11/18/14 04:12 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: semmern]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: semmern
I noticed it too biggrin Maybe they used a scrapped Boeing cockpit to make one of the spaceship sets.

Really, really liked the movie. Best sci-fi in years! And it was not just once that I thought of 2001 while watching it. TARS reminded me of the monolith, and I thought "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" to myself a couple of times smile

IIRC, TARS actually made a joke about that.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4037441 - 11/18/14 07:11 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
BillyRiley Offline
BillyRiley  Offline

Colchester, England
And here was me coming here to read this thread to get impressions of the movie and walked straight into a cat fight! neaner

I'll just go and watch it and do what others do...watch it as a movie and be entertained

right

#4037444 - 11/18/14 07:41 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Billzilla]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Billzilla
I recognise the pressurisation panel from a 727 I think.

In the last Riddick movie a ship had an X-52 for stick and throttle controls. LOL
That's how you make a budget work! It looks the part, cheap to buy...go for it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4037527 - 11/18/14 02:20 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: BillyRiley]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: BillyRiley
I'll just go and watch it and do what others do...watch it as a movie and be entertained

I agree. Loved the movie.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4037531 - 11/18/14 02:28 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Anne Hathaway sure has come a long way from her "Princess Diaries" days.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4037546 - 11/18/14 02:54 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Get yer spoilers here:

Click to reveal..
TARS talks about sending the astronauts out through an open airlock, a tip of the hat in a sort of inverted situation to 2001, where Bowman enters Discovery through the air lock.

In another play on 2001, TARS rescues Anne H. from the waterworld by carrying her towards the shuttle in "his" arms. This looks reminiscent of 2001 where Poole is lying in the arms of the pod.

Dr. Mann disassembles Kipp and claims he malfunctioned while it was the biological entity that failed. This is a complete reversal of the roles in 2001 where HAL malfunctions and Bowman deactivates him.

The revival of Cooper on board the space habitat reminds me of Poole being revived in 3001.

And a couple of my interpretations on how, why and what:

Click to reveal..
Why was Anne H. not brought onboard the same space habitat that rescues Cooper? Because AH went to the third planet (a coincidence that it is the third?), while Cooper went in the general direction of Earth.

They had two shuttles, one for Anne H, and one for Kipp and Coop.

Why Cooper had to be behind the bookshelf: Because he could not appear twice in the same dimension, he had to appear in the 5th dimension in the tesseract. The way I interpreted it, Murph must have taken down note on the actions of the watch, while in her room, or maybe even remembered some of it, and then gone to the lab.

'Tis in my mind however a bit of a stretch of the old imagination to believe that these presumably complex equations could be morsed through, "jus' like that"

Last edited by McGonigle; 11/18/14 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4037549 - 11/18/14 03:02 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
And just one more observation:

Click to reveal..
Oh and another 2001 revisitation: the descent into the tesseract looks very similar to the descent through 2001's Stargate

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4037553 - 11/18/14 03:12 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Yup, agree with all of your observations McGonigle. I think the Interstellar comparison to 2001 was totally unavoidable.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4037574 - 11/18/14 03:34 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
When Nolan loved 2001, it wasn't just unavoidable it was deliberate.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4037917 - 11/19/14 04:00 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: McGonigle]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
For the mathematically inclined

Click to reveal..
If MM was two months recovering on Saturn, how much older was he than AH when he finally made it back to her

For those who wonder

Click to reveal..
Who was NASA planning would fly the mission if MM didn't get the message from himself. The bots? If so, why did they even need the humans?

[Linked Image]
#4037947 - 11/19/14 05:30 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
Saw it on IMAX last night and loved it.

Truly a wonderful audiovisual treat. Some of the transitions were just beautiful, as a post-production artist this must have been a joy to work on!

Random observation: in some of the trailers, I'm sure you saw Coop's ship leaving above the corn fields. You don't see that in the film but that transition (Murph's room, to the countdown, to the ship) was spectacular. Proper seat-shaking audio in the theatre too.

And the "silent" space exterior shots were awesome, too.

Top marks.

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#4038662 - 11/20/14 10:43 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: AWL_Spinner]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted By: AWL_Spinner

that transition (Murph's room, to the countdown, to the ship) was spectacular. Proper seat-shaking audio in the theatre too.

I got chills from that part!

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4038871 - 11/21/14 12:57 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: HeinKill]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
[quote=HeinKill]For the mathematically inclined

Click to reveal..
If MM was two months recovering on Saturn, how much older was he than AH when he finally made it back to her

For those who wonder

This was troubling me somewhat, couldn't stop thinking about all sorts of scenarios.I'm not sure how much older he was, obviously for him he was 2 months older but I may be thinking too hard about the question. Lol.

Click to reveal..
7 years on Earth for MM = 1 hour for AH.
1 year on Earth MM = 8.57 mins for AH.
2 months on Earth MM = 1.42 mins for AH

I think that only 1.42 mins have passed for AH by the time MM comes back for her, or have I totally got this wrong?

Great film though.

Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4039601 - 11/23/14 12:59 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Jedi Master]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
When Nolan loved 2001, it wasn't just unavoidable it was deliberate.

Absolutely. My spontaneous reaction to Interstellar was that it was actually some sort of a very loose remake of 2001. The visual cues were there,
Click to reveal..
docking rotating spaceships to music close enough to "classical", the hibernation of astronauts, the shape and look of the robots, trippy wormhole travels.
Then the story elements and dialog:
Click to reveal..
The referential jokes that it cracked, travel to one of the solar system's gas giant to investigate a mysterious object that turns out to be a wormhole, the transformation of the character.

If we can say one thing about Nolan films, it is that they are made with deliberation. So these things aren't accidental or "somewhat unavoidable", they are at the very least nods to THE masterpiece of science-fiction film that so far has withstood the test of time (and probably will for another fifty years). Yes, there were some plot holes, but none that bothered me too much. Yes, the science in the movie is only "not junk" as long as it doesn't stand in the way of the storytelling. But that made the film "not worse", it arguably made it a better effort at telling its story.
Since I learned about the theory of relativity and the oddities of quantum mechanics in my youth and of the power of computers to render pretty much everything that is imaginable I have waited for some of the visuals that we finally got to watch in this film. For that alone I am thankful.
Click to reveal..
As far as the time travel is concerned, I think that the "circular paradox" is the most adequate kind of story that you can tell in a film (Interstellar, 12 Monkeys, Terminator, Back to the Future). The alternative is about "repairing your timeline" (Back to the Future II, Star Trek IV) but it doesn't work quite so well unless the characters and the original world are already established so that the audience can relate to the protagonist's desire to "return to normalcy" (so it may not be such a big surprise that the more successful installations of this formula were sequel films).
Also, it was intellectually more satisfying than some mysterious race of benevolent aliens that never show up in person except during the wormhole jump that reveal themselves at the end of the film as a kind of deus ex machina.

I love the film. It took its time to develop the characters, at no point did I become bored or felt that they should have cut a certain scene. It neatly falls into the tradition of science-fiction films that don't rely on overwhelming special effects and which maintain suspense without resorting to lots of violence or explosions.
Quote:
Casting Matt Damon as a traitorous coward was genius. Revealing Michael Caine's character as a rather cold-hearted technocrat to get his "Plan B" rolling I also found a rather clever play against audience expectations.

#4039610 - 11/23/14 01:43 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: DetCord]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: DetCord
London-based astrophysics expert Dr. Roberto Trotta has already done the work in a Guardian article which unravels the good, the bad and the plain stupid pseudo-science in the film.

Link

His first main point of objection is that the water planet doesn't have the mass necessary to cause the kind of time dilation. That's unfair criticism. The planet itself is said to be very deep down of the black hole's gravity well. So it's not the planetary mass, it's that of the nearby black hole.
Click to reveal..
(What kind of a supermassive BH would be needed to dilate time by a factor of 61,360 relative to Earth without ripping the planet apart by tidal forces remains to be calculated, and I agree with de Grasse Tyson that under no circumstances I would investigate a planet for settlement that circles close to a black hole (even if it were to be much smaller), not even if the planed featured liquid water ... but for reasons OTHER than shown in the film, mainly the radiation levels.)

What's even worse is that Dr. Trotta then goes on to say that the planet would have been ripped apart by tidal forces, so he can't even claim that he forgot about this part.
Click to reveal..
What he doesn't investigate is whether a VERY LARGE (supermassive) black hole might not distort spacetime enough beyond the accretion disk range where a planet might still hold together. Granted, this might cause other problems, but
to me Dr. Trotta criticizes the film for the wrong reasons.

Then he goes on to say that the radiation from the accretion disk would be deadly, and I tend to agree.
Click to reveal..
But assuming for a moment that Gargantua really was a supermassive BH, the accretion disk in relation appeared rather small. So the BH might actually be "starving" (that is, there's no nearby star whose matter is being sucked in, therefore the radiation level would be much lower (probably just "extremely deadly" rather than "insanely deadly")).

If that were all there was to criticize about the science in Interstellar it'd be impressive. It'd rather look at a few other things, e.g.
Click to reveal..
- is the size of the "Plan A" spaceship as it is revealed in the end actually viable or, as I suspect it, way, way too small?

- The Thesseract concept borrows heavily from String theory, which I heard is neat and beautiful from its mathematical conception, but there's still not a single shred of experimental evidence that it's more than elegant advanced math

- Massive, frozen clouds. How can they stay up in the air even if the gravity is just at 80%?
Even individual snow flakes fall from the sky on Earth, and here we almost have glaciers?

- They couldn't detect these friggin' huge tidal waves from orbit?
Well, they "detected" them but how could they possibly mistake them for mountains?

- They need a three-stage rocket to launch from Earth, it takes them years to reach Saturn, and yet they have the technology to land a shuttle on shallow water (or glaciers), and start it again with virtually no turnaround time (other than for the delays caused by a bit of water in the burn chambers). Where's the fuel coming from for the lift-off? Where's the fuel to work themselves out of Gargantua's extremely deep gravity well?

- They couldn't figure out that the ice planet's atmosphere had a deadly amount of ammonia in it and debunk the claim of habitability even from space?

- Time travel paradox. 'Nuff said.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.