Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4036109 - 11/15/14 12:52 AM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Originally Posted By: BirdDogICT
Nefaro,

Setting up your CH controls IS a bit fiddly. Al Lowe's instructions are spot on.

You could download my CH Profile from the WOFF website here: http://www.overflandersfields.com/User.html. The download includes a WOFFkeys.xca file that may make the process a little less frustrating. FWIW, I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and not having any problems.

Setting up rudders and throttles can be a challenge. I have set my rudder up several ways, as a slider or as a rudder. The WOFFkeys utility seems to have problems when mapping more than two axes...you might look at the following post: #3877450 for a description of how I solved this.

Good luck

Thank you Bird Dog.

I was starting to get frustrated after spending some time trying to get this worked out today. I may just give your key file a go if your settings in the post doesn't make it straighten up. Looks like I may have to go that route because I already tried moving the axis/slider settings to your recommended ones.

thumbsup

Weird that it only works in quick missions and not in the campaign. I'd hate to have to wipe all the key files and re-bind everything again. Already re-mapped twice.

EDIT: Did you put any extra limits to the axes and/or buttons on your CH profile? Or did you leave it at the default 8 axes/32 buttons?

Last edited by Nefaro; 11/15/14 12:57 AM.

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#4036564 - 11/16/14 06:36 AM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Nefaro]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Nefaro,

No extra limits, and I left it at default axes/buttons settings.

Good luck

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

— Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff,1979.
#4036613 - 11/16/14 12:59 PM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Jarg1]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Well... WOFF just absolutely refuses to recognize my CH Pro Pedals as an Axis. It will only register in the WOFF Workshop when set up as a Slider in the CH program.

For some reason, that seems to work in Quick Missions, but my Pedals and my Throttle do not work in Campaign Missions despite using the exact same Workshop settings and single CH Profile.

I even tried using your profile in the Mods section at the WOFF site. The game still refuses to bind my CH Pedals on the Axis you've set it to.

I have spent a huge amount of time trying to get my new CH setup working with WOFF, and most importantly my Rudder Pedals. I've tried only setting up the Fighterstick and the Pedals, various combinations of Axes/Sliders, removing my CH Throttle from the controller group, disabling the Throttle slider and using only my Pedals as a Slider. Deleted my WOFFkeys file to start clean. All kinds of stuff. Hours worth. None of it works.

I'm convinced that my CH Pedals and WOFF just plain don't work together as needed. I love WOFF but I don't want to go back to my old lower quality HOTAS to play it after springing hundreds of dollars on these superb CH controllers which have reinvigorated my flight sim experiences. Sadly, it looks like WOFF will be shelved. frown

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#4036753 - 11/16/14 07:17 PM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Nefaro]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Nefaro,

Load up my CH Profile in Control Manager, and then hit the test/calibrate button. You should be able to move all axes and sliders, and test all buttons. If not, Windows isn't managing your USB devices correctly. Al three devices are mapped as one device "Control Manager Device 1". If you go to Windows Control Panel/Devices and Printers, you should see each separate CH device and a HID-compliant game controller (if you click on this device's properties, you'll see that it is CH Manager Device 1.

I am working on a brief tutorial for you that may help...as long as you load my profile through CH Manager, WOFFKeys will recognize all of the key functions and X,Y,Z, and Rz axes automatically. The only thing that you have to change is the bindings for Buttons 1-8 and assign the Flightstick slider to Mixture Control 1.

Of course, YMMV

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

#4037107 - 11/17/14 05:17 PM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Nefaro,

Load up my CH Profile in Control Manager, and then hit the test/calibrate button. You should be able to move all axes and sliders, and test all buttons. If not, Windows isn't managing your USB devices correctly. Al three devices are mapped as one device "Control Manager Device 1". If you go to Windows Control Panel/Devices and Printers, you should see each separate CH device and a HID-compliant game controller (if you click on this device's properties, you'll see that it is CH Manager Device 1.

I am working on a brief tutorial for you that may help...as long as you load my profile through CH Manager, WOFFKeys will recognize all of the key functions and X,Y,Z, and Rz axes automatically. The only thing that you have to change is the bindings for Buttons 1-8 and assign the Flightstick slider to Mixture Control 1.

Of course, YMMV

The CH profiles work fine. I've tested them numerous times and all the axes & buttons work in CH Manager. Their values also move in WOFF, even though it refuses to utilize them in Campaign missions.

I've had them all set up as one controller, exactly per the FAQ pdf. Also tried using your profile in the Mods section to the same effect. Tried setting the rudder pedals up as a separate controller too - same result.

It will not utilize my rudder pedals and throttle in the Campaign missions. Starting new pilots doesn't help. I'm confused as to why I can get them working in Quick Missions but not the Campaign missions.

Obviously WOFF can recognize and use them. Just not in the Campaign, which is the only mode I use in WOFF. I'm sure that I've set up the CH Manager stuff correctly, especially after checking them umpteen times and seeing them working in the Quick Missions. You probably shouldn't spend the extra time on a CH Manager tutorial for me, as that's not where the issue lies in my case.

My last couple options are removing the DirectX Mod, and completely deleting and re-installing WOFF. It's hard to believe the DX mod would have this effect, if nobody else has reported it, but the controllers may use DX so maybe that's part of the issue. I'd be very sad if I couldn't use that mod.

(For Tech Reference)
#4037287 - 11/17/14 10:23 PM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Nefaro]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Nefaro,

I know you are not a noob, so forgive me for pointing out some basic things to look for. I haven't had any DX conflicts with the shader mod, but I made sure that I had older versions of DX installed as per Ankor's instructions.

The frustrating feature of the WOFFKeys utility is that you get absolutely no feedback from the program if you try to manually bind the throttle and rudder. You can see the Z and R values change as you move the controllers, but no Bind window pops up. Had me frustrated the first few times, as well.

The WOFFBackupKeys.xmp file is stored in the campaigns folder, so maybe for some reason it isn't being stored properly.

#4037410 - 11/18/14 03:59 AM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Nefaro,

I know you are not a noob, so forgive me for pointing out some basic things to look for. I haven't had any DX conflicts with the shader mod, but I made sure that I had older versions of DX installed as per Ankor's instructions.

The frustrating feature of the WOFFKeys utility is that you get absolutely no feedback from the program if you try to manually bind the throttle and rudder. You can see the Z and R values change as you move the controllers, but no Bind window pops up. Had me frustrated the first few times, as well.

The WOFFBackupKeys.xmp file is stored in the campaigns folder, so maybe for some reason it isn't being stored properly.

Thanks for the info.

I'll nuke the extra keymap file(s) in the campaigns folder and give it another go sometime soon. This may well be the problem.

You say that the Workshop will still set the rudder and throttle even if a bind window doesn't pop up, and nothing is listed as being bound afterward?

(For Tech Reference)
#4037707 - 11/18/14 10:14 PM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Nefaro]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Nefaro,

Yes, that's how it works for me. I wasted a lot of time initially trying to manually bind the throttle and rudder, but they are bound automatically.

If I unbind the throttle and rudder and then try to bind them, the Z and Rz axis values change when I move the controllers but no Bind popup button appears. If I then close the WOFFKeys utility and open it again, the throttle and rudder are already bound, as if by magic.

Last edited by BirdDogICT; 11/18/14 10:15 PM.

#4040036 - 11/24/14 01:24 AM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Jarg1]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
Nefaro,

I'm sure you've already done this, but since I didn't see it mentioned in your posts, I thought it was worth mentioning. Did you unbind all the other superfluous commands from the axes of your Pro Pedals in the workshop?

In my case, in all three of my controllers, I made sure to unbind unused axes(like the Axis:Throttle on the Fighterstick and every axis and buttons on the rudder pedals).

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
32" Dell S3220DGF curved gaming monitor @ 2560 x 1440p @ 165 Hz
Sound BlasterX G6 External USB sound card
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones
Thrustmaster TM16000 FCS HOTAS
Logitec Pro Flight Pedals
TrackIR 5
#4041204 - 11/25/14 11:13 PM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Jarg1]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Yeah, Willy, I unbind all that stuff before starting clean.

The v2.0 expansion will light a fire and motivate me to reinstall and go back through it all. Will update on the situation.

Hopefully I get the same thing that BirdDog was getting.. the pedals and rudder working despite not registering as actually mapped.

Thanks for the continued suggestions guys. cheers

Last edited by Nefaro; 11/25/14 11:14 PM.

(For Tech Reference)
#4042029 - 11/27/14 05:19 AM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Jarg1]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Okay, I finally got it to work. But it took something extra.

I reinstalled everything, along with v2 expansion and update tonight. It was still doing the same thing - wouldn't allow me to bind my rudder pedals in the Workshop despite showing their axis inputs.

So I exited the game and unplugged my stick, throttle, and pedals then plugged them back in. I dunno if this was what fixed the issue because it was still doing the same thing when I tried mapping again. But this time, when I selected "Reset Hardware Only" and tried a mission without mapping any axes, it worked! When I had attempted that before, it didn't work or the throttle and rudder axes were switched. So glad I finally got it.

Smells like victory. Thanks for the tips everyone! bananadance

(For Tech Reference)
#4042956 - 11/29/14 03:22 AM Re: CH Products HOTAS Woes [Re: Nefaro]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Nefaro,

I had to do this several times, too, plugging controllers in one at a time, and restarting Windows and WOFF between each controller. Very tedious, especially because it's difficult to tell if it's working or not.

I first learned to try this after it was mentioned by one of the developers in an early thread (I think it was in December of 2013). Sorry I didn't mention it as a solution...it's been almost two years since I first set up my controllers in WOFF, so I had forgotten about it.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Last edited by BirdDogICT; 11/29/14 03:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.