#4029985 - 10/31/14 04:59 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: Murphy]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Murphy
I'd like to see a war movie about the entire WWII air war.
Starting with the Battle of Britain, then moving onto the European theater, right up to Berlin.
All the sides, with a view from each.
Beginning to end.
Bombers and fighters, evolving over the years.
All the major air battles.
Actors/pilots from each country, a 3 hour movie.

The ultimate 'European Air War' movie.

Eastwood almost did that with the Iwo Jima movies. I thought Letters from Iwo Jima was excellent, but I wish the other movie had been the US side and not about the raising the flag conspiracy type movie. That story might also be worth telling, but when making this pair of movies, I think it would have been better to pair up the story of the US side of the battle with the Japanese story.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4030035 - 10/31/14 07:30 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I would make the real TopGun movie and tell the story about the creation of the Navy fighters weapons school. Intro is the same as the Top Gun from 1986 but as the catapult steam clears it's all F4s and stuff. The great music of the period, the great clothes, the classic "old stupid officer"-routine about the intercepts, secret dogfight meetings in the desert, the creation of the school including stealing the furniture for it, the training mixed with the struggle over North vietnam and then the last part when the pilots go back to Tonkin bay, perform some really awesome flying and then que carrier trap, flag waving, high fives and man hugs all around.

I would see it a million times.

-C-

#4030063 - 10/31/14 08:48 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
How about a Robin Olds movie?
WWII to Vietnam and beyond. PERFECT person/character, lots of documentation, cool aircraft and even those of us not aviation historians know the name.
"Olds"

Make it so.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4030191 - 11/01/14 03:23 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
It has to have P-51's>>>

..Oh and Dragons

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4030221 - 11/01/14 08:32 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

THUD RIDGE.

Back when I was working the Returns Dept at a Fry's Electronics, an old Air Force dog came to me. We got talking, and I mentioned how I'd read Thud Ridge since he was a Vietnam Vet. He said that at some point in some AF base down there, a Hollywood film crew came down and began filming Thud Ridge. Had an all star cast and everything (mid 70s or so?) but then the movie never showed up anywhere. So, some where in some film vault, is the late Col. Broughton's book adapted to film.

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
#4030222 - 11/01/14 08:37 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: Jedi Master]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I'd like to see a war movie about the entire WWII air war.
Starting with the Battle of Britain, then moving onto the European theater, right up to Berlin.
All the sides, with a view from each.
Beginning to end.
Bombers and fighters, evolving over the years.
All the major air battles.
Actors/pilots from each country, a 3 hour movie.

The ultimate 'European Air War' movie.

You mean like the beginning of Pearl Harbor? That's how they'd do it today.

Yeah...no.

The Jedi Master

So what movie 'would YOU' pick?

I believe the question was;

"It you were financing /directing a war movie.
What conflict/story. would you pick and why."

Not, what you wouldn't like.
I noticed you didn't post anything you'd like.

Got to agree though when you quoted me, what you 'wouldn't like' I also....didn't like.

That was a bit of a 'joke movie'.
What did you expect with Ben Afflick and Alec Baldwin, in a 'war' movie?.
"Yeah....no.".... rolleyes

I wouldn't care which pilot won the battle, but in reality the allies won the air war, in WWII.
We could argue until tomorrow morning about 'why'...it really doesn't matter.
It's 'possible' for a P-40 to win an air battle with a Zero, look at the Flying Tigers in China early in the war.
If done right, any aircraft can win out over a superior turn fighter.
I would just like to see a war movie about the air battles in WWII from beginning to end.
I enjoy flight sims. Maybe you don't.

I was talking about a movie with a little more actual 'air battles' in it then Attack on Pearl Harbor.
One where that was the theme of the movie. Air battles.
Not quite so much 'acting' and drama on the ground, but more of a 'drama in the air' movie.
I did enjoy the first part of the 'attack on pearl'...where they were in P-40's...the filming was great, but that was about the end of it.
A little in Spitfires, in the BoB, about 5 minutes of air action, and that was it.
A lot of talking from Alec.

I agree with what you 'didn't like'. The movie was a wasted opportunity IMHO.
But the thread is about what each member 'would' like to see.

I did enjoy the 'Blue Max'...but it was a little too specific, and again WWI theater, but I enjoyed it.
There was another one that I liked about WWI in the air, I enjoyed that one also, but I'm a WWII air war fanboy.

I just like movies about the air war of WWII, and would like to see a really well done movie made, about the entire western air war.
I don't think they've done as well as they could have....and I doubt they ever will make another one.
I'd like to see it done well.

"Murphy's Law"
#4030229 - 11/01/14 09:13 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
It has to have P-51's>>>

..Oh and Dragons

Yeah, "DRAGONS"....no wonder 'Bollywood' just can't make a movie anymore.

If they'd replaced the dragons with ME-109's, it might have been a movie I'd watch.
Beats dragons.

ME-109's, 190's, Zero's, Spitfires, P-38's, and yeah, 'Mustangs', were the fighter aircraft that mattered in WWII.
I'm sure I've miss some that came close.
But that's just the way it was.
History.
I'd watch 'history'.

"Murphy's Law"
#4030232 - 11/01/14 09:14 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
How about a Robin Olds movie?
WWII to Vietnam and beyond. PERFECT person/character, lots of documentation, cool aircraft and even those of us not aviation historians know the name.
"Olds"

Make it so.

I am specific to WWII, but I'd watch that movie, yep. smile

"Murphy's Law"
#4030382 - 11/01/14 08:17 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
jazjar Offline
jazjar  Offline

Someone already mentioned seeing World War 3 in the 1980s in Western Europe portrayed realistically, I believe, but another one that I would be interested to see portrayed is the Franco-Prussian War, starting from Bismarck sending/intercepting the telegram to the fall of Paris. Has it ever been portrayed before?

#4030391 - 11/01/14 08:34 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: jazjar]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: jazjar
. Has it ever been portrayed before?

Surely there must be either a German language or French language film depicting the Franco-Prussian War? If there are any I'd love to see them.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4030401 - 11/01/14 09:07 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
jazjar Offline
jazjar  Offline

Interesting, I was only able to find one, it is called Champ d'Honneur (Field of Honor)(1987). Anyone else seen this before? I couldn't find anything about the plot.

#4030470 - 11/02/14 12:12 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: Murphy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I did enjoy the 'Blue Max'...but it was a little too specific, and again WWI theater, but I enjoyed it.

What do you mean that it was a little too specific? Are you referring to the story being centered around one pilot instead of it being about the air war in general during WWI?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4030478 - 11/02/14 12:37 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Anything from the Korean War, done by Spielberg. A movie would be good, but a miniseries would be even better.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4030494 - 11/02/14 01:36 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
reconmercs Offline
reconmercs  Offline

an island
I would love ..LOVE to see a WWII fighter group like the 4th or 357th get the "band of brothers" treatment. But, I guess I'll just have to settle for the bomber mini-series "masters of the air" whenever that is finally released.

#4030498 - 11/02/14 01:58 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

What do you mean that it was a little too specific? Are you referring to the story being centered around one pilot instead of it being about the air war in general during WWI?

I meant specific to one area. Also, it would have been nice to cover some other pilots, just a wider view.
And also I really am interested in WWII aircraft, not so much WWI.
But I love flying in general, so I enjoyed the movie.
Especially this one, the way it was done, the actors were realistic, IMHO. I liked George Peppard in that, I think he played the egotistical flier very well. I think a lot of the fighter pilots were probably like that.
The entire movie was believable. The 'human' factor, I could see it as being possible. Either side, BTW.....

Then again, like the thread asked, I would favor a WWII air war movie, encompassing the entire European theater.
One that started in Britain, and ended in Germany, fighters and bombers, from the allies side, and the German side.
Some about the personal, but mostly about the decisions made in the air, the squadrons, and the dog fights of course smile . The ground attack aircraft included. Displaying the difficulties they encountered.
Again showing the view from both sides.

I don't think that's ever been done, specific to the 'entire European air war'.

Originally Posted By: reconmercs
I would love ..LOVE to see a WWII fighter group like the 4th or 357th get the "band of brothers" treatment. But, I guess I'll just have to settle for the bomber mini-series "masters of the air" whenever that is finally released.

What he said wink
Fighting their way across Europe, and also covering the opposing side, would be great.

"Murphy's Law"
#4030500 - 11/02/14 02:10 AM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

I would like to make a very good movie about "The Raid on St. Nazaire."
I know there was a British version from the 40s or 50s, based on the British book called "The Greatest Raid of All."
Would not need a cast of thousands, couple of hundred at most I should think.

By the way, the Avalon Hill "Raid on St. Nazaire" single player game was among the very best of their short series of single player games. Hours of fun.

Last edited by Dunolde; 11/02/14 02:22 AM. Reason: info correction
#4030756 - 11/02/14 08:51 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

I watched a program about CGI last night.
I new it was advanced but man you should see what's coming its nearly impossible to tell what's real and what's been generated. Not sure about the cost though, But its possible they could make war movies
To the same level as the classics longest day etc. for a fraction of the cost (fingers crossed)

Just conducted a little research seemingly the war movie fury is doing pretty good in the box offices world wide

Last edited by marko1231123; 11/03/14 12:06 AM.
#4031036 - 11/03/14 02:10 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The problem is I'm unable to conceive of a film without also taking into account its commercial prospects. I literally cannot force my brain to spend time coming up with a film that would take a big budget but totally flop as it wouldn't get enough people to come see it because it was too accurate. I'm too aware of how films are made and scripts are written and rewritten with studio and marketing interference to ever believe that we'd get anything like what we really want to see.

Look at Saving Pvt Ryan--it's two films. The first 20 mins is the kind of movie we want, the next 2 hours is the kind we usually get, which for me falls short. You'll never get a film with more than that first 20 mins like that, not anymore.

So as every idea I can come up with I know would be a commercial failure, I therefore answer "none."

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4031051 - 11/03/14 02:18 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
A very large portion of the war films suggested in this thread could only possibly be financially successful in international markets and if they had modest budgets.

I mean, there's absolutely zero chance that a movie about Hannibal, the Napoleonic Wars, the Golan Heights or even a Master & Commander sequel would make any money in the US. Heck, even "Fury" hasn't done all that great. To date, "Fury" has only made 60 million at the US box office and it had a production budget of 68 million.

#4031093 - 11/03/14 03:07 PM Re: If you were making a war movie. [Re: marko1231123]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Some of the suggestions , here, sound good to us but would not be to the general public. A film encompassing the entire air war would be hard to pull off and would wind up being too documentary-like to appeal to the average movie goer. Forget those big all encompassing epics.
One air war idea that I'd like to see, and would work I believe, is the story of Pappy Gunn. Retired Navy pilot, he was flying civilian cargo routes in the Philippines when the Japan invaded. He got out, but his family was imprisoned, and the man harbored a deep dark hatred of the Japanese. He wound up flying with the AAF in New Guinea. He didn't think the B-25's and A-20's were heavily armed, enough, so he pulled 50 calibers off of wrecked fighters and welded them to the noses of the bombers. AAF brass took notice. More than any other single person, he's responsible for those multiple gunned solid nosed mediums that came later.
The story could go back and forth between Gunn's combat escapades and his family imprisoned on Luzon. Finally, at the end, Gunn's bombers are sent to the Philippine islands after McArthur's invasion, and we have our exciting, and tearful, reunion.
Would be good. I'd pick George Clooney as Gunn, and Nicole Kidmann as his imprisoned wife. Gotta go with big names and pretty people. The audience likes that.

Last edited by Pooch; 11/03/14 03:09 PM.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.