Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4029307 - 10/30/14 01:13 PM Well I reinstalled RO2 again  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Have not played this since maybe spring? Just wanted to goof off with the new mg42 and see the new armor. Well so far only seen the mg42. HOS aint perfect, but its still kind of fun. Gave Rising Storm a re-go and nope, still do not care for it much.

Funny how finding a decent shooter now a days is not exactly easy. COD and BF are just not for me any more, leaving not a heck of a lot. Had fun with ARMA 3 for a bit. But dang dambit. To much not so good mission design, I am talking to you KTOH. Maybe just add in another 100 scripts running in there to further slow down everything. UGH. I am talking player murdering player games here.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4029744 - 10/31/14 04:33 AM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: FlashBurn]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

Flashburn; what appeals to you in a shooter exactly?

Re RO2 I agree with you. I got it for free a few months ago on Steam and I have played it sparingly but over all not impressed by that game. It's clunky and like you I find I don't care much for it.

You may want to try Heroes and General .I personally detest it but many other gamers have praised it on this forum saying that it was what Red Orchestra 2 should have been. It's free to play so...

If you are looking for slower pace fps you'll be hard pressed to find one. Unfortuntaly it's all about getting the hyperactive, pimpled-face teenies who crowd shooters these days happy.

I personally like BF3 and took a liking to BF4 although less...

Arama is fun but Arma 2's interface is so clunky and the AI so all mighty that I am not tempted to try Arma 3.

#4030275 - 11/01/14 01:50 PM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: FlashBurn]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
Have not played this since maybe spring? Just wanted to goof off with the new mg42 and see the new armor. Well so far only seen the mg42. HOS aint perfect, but its still kind of fun. Gave Rising Storm a re-go and nope, still do not care for it much.

Funny how finding a decent shooter now a days is not exactly easy. COD and BF are just not for me any more, leaving not a heck of a lot. Had fun with ARMA 3 for a bit. But dang dambit. To much not so good mission design, I am talking to you KTOH. Maybe just add in another 100 scripts running in there to further slow down everything. UGH. I am talking player murdering player games here.

CoD and BF not my thing either.

Picked up some older Novalogic games on Steam - Delta Force 2, Black Hawk Down, Joint Operations, Comanche 4, and Iron Fist - been having a blast.

These were the game I grew up playing

Rangers Lead the Way
#4030279 - 11/01/14 02:08 PM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: FlashBurn]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

hey Flash,
I saw you playing now and then... I was always tempted to join in- I love Ro2 and wouldn't mind team-up with somebody better than the random grunt.

Would you be upset should I drop in? smile
Cheers.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4030542 - 11/02/14 06:05 AM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: komemiute]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: komemiute
hey Flash,
I saw you playing now and then... I was always tempted to join in- I love Ro2 and wouldn't mind team-up with somebody better than the random grunt.

Would you be upset should I drop in? smile
Cheers.

Oh sure thing. I was on a massive binge the past couple days! Nothing on the plate to do so I blew it leveling up the MG42. Which really? A 250 round belt hanging out of it! How does like 20 feet of ammo hanging out of a weapon work while running around? LOL. Not sure when Ill be playing again. Probably FRI or Sat next week is my guess.

I did play alot of novalogic stuff back when too. Most where rather simplistic but fun games. Well most of them. I dont even remember what the last one I was in to was. Delta Force something. I do recall putting it aside after getting murdered 10000 times and murdering 35000. Which hmmm now that is a lot. And another reason why kill/death stats in objective based games is STUPID. Who cares. People get all into that ratio as a mark of skill. which simple means you hide well in a tactical like game. And probably not doing much team work in there. About the same thing that happens in RO2 when certain folks only ever join the defending side. UGH. Why? WHY!

#4032895 - 11/07/14 02:08 AM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: FlashBurn]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
I have been playing RO2 a lot for a long time, because I found details in gathered in one game that are absent from any other games I know.

-1- I can play with a human teammate in the same WWII tank. Teamwork is a must for me when it comes to tank battles, and a Tank IS NOT a one man show. Then the visuals and motion from inside the tank look realistic.

-2- Sometimes, when crawling on the ground, It can feel clunky. But the overall, motion crouching, leaning sideways and running, jumping over obstacles, climbing, taking shots from under a vehicle and shooting from a narrow angle, are more fluid and natural than most WWII games I know.

-3- the ballistic is well reproduced and playing marksman is a real joy. Up to a certain distance some bullets go through walls, and the deviation is reproduced. Then, if two characters are behind each others in enfilade, I can shoot through the throat of the first one, the bullet will penetrate, and exiting, kill the other character behind. That is realistic. Bullet ricochet are reproduced. Even the ballistic for armor is realistic with rounds bouncing off the tank skin and landing somewhere instead of vanishing in thin air. Moreover, killing a tank is based on the distance you are shooting from and the part of the tank you are shooting at. That is again realistic to me.

-4- Finally, this is the only WWII game I know, where characters have a very natural way to drop, or slowing down trying to muster some energy stripped out of them, sometimes several meters after the fatal shot due to the adrenaline effect.

I personally find RO2 realism natural, very interesting and not overdone compared to many shooter games. And I certainly enjoy the Russian campaign in MP on the Russian side. That game is accurate in many ways. It is the perfect platform to game tactically.

BTW the MG42 comes with drum magazines, and in the case one could have a belt hanging, it does not measure 20 feet long or 6.09 meters long. That, might belong to another game.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4032933 - 11/07/14 04:11 AM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: FlashBurn]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Oh my point on the MG42 and the 20 foot belt was more of a joke. Although 250 round level 25-50 mg42 in RO2 is silly. Same for MG34. RO2 does alot right. But those MG's....ugh not so right. The rifles are great for the most part. The MG42 with a cyclic rate of 1200 rounds a minute should probably be bouncing around a bit more than it does. while heavy at 25 pounds unloaded that bolt slamming around so quickly and so much lead flying should jostle that weapon around some. Granted I have never fired and MG42. To bad. LOL. But I have fired enough rounds out of a M240B to know that even that 22 pound beast will start a mild muzzle climb when fired off its bipod. This is totally missing from the MG42. Its like its mounted on a tripod with a T&E at all times. I will say that an M240B fired from a vehicle mount is like laser death. It does not move around at all. Shooting human sized targets at 700 meters is like stupid easy. 8 round burst...next... 8 round burst...next.

The tanks are more right than most games. In fact the only 2 complaints deal with getting stuck on weird stuff (much MUCH better now) and related to this. Lack of many things being destructible for tanks. Like getting stuck on a telephone pole instead of flattening it.

the PZ4 is pretty right on in terms of how it works. The T34 has 1 mega gripe for me. That is its gunner sight/periscope does not rotate like the real deal. Which is sort of small sauce. Also the tank commander when turned out can not just pop the top and stick his head out but must full turn out and of course get shot. But public MP in a tank... BAD. Always a tard muffin jumps in and gets everyone killed.

Last thing. It took me 2 days to level the mg42 to 50. I noticed about a 40 percent increase of be murdering pixel players over the MG34. Was routinely getting 60 80 kills a match. I don't think it is well balanced with that 250 round belt in there.....

Last itty bitty gripe.... Most of the SMG's in game when leveled up to 50 are to dang good IMO. All of them are open bolt weapons. Having a 2 pound bolt slamming into the receiver should have more effect on level 50 smgs. Oh and to dang many smg's in most maps.

Other than that... I have always liked RO2. Closing in on 1200 hours in it since release. In B4reset baby... who cares. For a more real COD experience I think its pretty good. The new classic was better but no one plays that. Its way way more right.

Rising storm... to A.D.D. for me. Great production values. Maps look great. But feels like a cluster #%&*$# in a shoe box to me.

I need to get my happy butt back into Arma 3 again. But PVP Mp is UGH right now. TKOH I was enjoying but so many scripts running now that MP plays not so good. I really dont know why a simple TKOH needs to do all the things it does on the back end. Just seems to kill the servers when full.

Last edited by FlashBurn; 11/07/14 04:18 AM.
#4032971 - 11/07/14 09:56 AM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: FlashBurn]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I did fire an Mg3, with half the cyclic rate (give or take 800 rpm) which would probably make it more "bumpy".

Well, that mother fokker was like bolted to the ground.
I was prone, bipod extended and aiming at over 100 meters (give or take).

Except for a first burst too short, all the remaining bullets in the belt were all "On target".
Quite literally.

In my book it's an impressive beast.
And dispensing 7.62- a quite powerful punch.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4033018 - 11/07/14 01:45 PM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: FlashBurn]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
could not sleep so guess what I was doing this morning? winkngrin Now to catch a couple hours of ZZZZZ's. Guess it was good I took a brake from RO2 for so long. Kind of like new....ish stuff things again. My old beefs are still there, but so much more right than other newer sorts.

Really with there was something other.. Ah well.

#4033103 - 11/07/14 04:16 PM Re: Well I reinstalled RO2 again [Re: FlashBurn]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
I only play realism mod, so I can't talk about the other mods.

With the PPSH-41, you've got your recoil very well reproduced. I used to train with a mat-49 which is a 9mm open bolt submachine gun, and the recoil was less. This is the same type of technology era.

Then, for tanks, I come to the game with a teammate that I already know. We are a well oiled mechanic, so Tanks with a known teammate is a must.

Finally, in an overall matter of recoil, it is more a matter of training than a matter of gun. If one is new to fire arms, recoil is a big deal, if not, it is manageable, as long as you don't try to shoot a 50 from the hip!...Than game might take that into consideration.

Flashburn and Komemiute, what are your steam call-signs?

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.