Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4021527 - 10/12/14 08:10 PM Campaign being created (i hope)  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
Disclaimer: I'm new to DCS and to campaign making, so manage your expectations accordingly.

The campaign is set in 1989-90 in an alternate history universe. I've created a first mission. Nothing spectacular, just a sightseeing trip, more or less. Feel free to look it over and let me know what you think so far!
You can find the mission here:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132200

Briefing:

March 11, 1985: Mikhail Gorbachev becomes leader of the Soviet Union.

January 20, 1989: George H. W. Bush is inaugurated as 41st President of the United States.

February 2, 1989: Soviet troops withdraw from Afghanistan.

April 9, 1989: Anti-Soviet demonstrators violently dispersed in Tbilisi, leading to several deaths.

June 4, 1989: Semi-free elections in Poland show complete lack of backing for the Communist Party; Solidarity trade union wins all available seats in the Parliament and 99% in the Senate.

August, 1989: Parliament in Poland elects Tadeusz Mazowiecki as leader of the first non-communist government in the Eastern Bloc.

October 18, 1989: The Hungarian constitution is amended to allow a multi-party political system and free elections. The nearly 20-year rule of communist leader Erich Honecker comes to an end in East Germany.

November 9, 1989: Revolutions of Eastern Europe: Soviet reforms and their state of bankruptcy have allowed Eastern Europe to rise up against the Communist governments there. The Berlin Wall is breached when Politburo spokesman, Günter Schabowski, not fully informed of the technicalities or procedures of the newly agreed lifting of travel restrictions, mistakenly announces at a news conference in East Berlin that the borders have been opened.

December 2, 1989: Bush and Gorbachev meet for the Malta Summit.

December 3, 1989, 11:00:

Welcome to Nalchik, the new home of the 192. IAP.
Apologies for the hurried move from Ukraine, but things have been happening quickly as you know.

The Georgians have been making sounds about independence again, and with things the way they are, we are here to make sure they do nothing rash.

Ground forces are en route to the area to keep the peace, like back in April!

Squadron: 192.IAP

Airfield: Nalchik

Date: Dec.3 1989

To-Time: 12:00

ETA Target Area: 12:23PM

Mission Time: 50mins

Weather at tgt area: Estimated weather above the target

Type of Mission: Demonstration

Aircraft: 2 MiG 21bis

Loadout: R-3S x2 R-3Rx2 Centreline fuel tank

Task: Over fly the centre of Tbilisi at low altitude, if possible at supersonic speeds to remind the population of Soviet power.

Nav info:

MACHINE GUN FIRE: CAMBRIN by ROBERT GRAVES (September 25 1915)

The torn line wavers, breaks, and falls. 'Get up, come on!' the captain calls 'Get up, the Welsh, and on we go!' (Christ, that my lads should fail me so!) A dying boy grinned up and said: 'The whole damned company, sir; it's dead.' 'Come on! Cowards!' bawled the captain, then Fell killed, among his writhing men.
#4021531 - 10/12/14 08:14 PM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Good job. Lord knows we need more of this. thumbsup

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4028484 - 10/28/14 08:45 PM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
A bit quiet in here, eh?

Anyway, I'm making slow progress on this project. See here for the latest. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132200

The torn line wavers, breaks, and falls. 'Get up, come on!' the captain calls 'Get up, the Welsh, and on we go!' (Christ, that my lads should fail me so!) A dying boy grinned up and said: 'The whole damned company, sir; it's dead.' 'Come on! Cowards!' bawled the captain, then Fell killed, among his writhing men.
#4028558 - 10/28/14 11:17 PM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Outstanding! And thanks for the update!

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4028709 - 10/29/14 05:32 AM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Feedback if you don't mind: The intro mission was a bit far when it comes to range. Though I mucked up and forgot the low level demonstration pass, I'd been cruising at +11,000m, so the fuel it took to go back descending wasn't much, and cutting corners to say the least I still flamed out on landing and crashed in Nalchik City. I would've added another 2 drop tanks, seeing as how this wasn't a combat sortie anyway. Also regarding loadout: Try setting the flare/chaff distribution to 22/42. When you fire countermeasures in the -21, you dump 2 flares and 1 bunch of chaff per instance. Having a 22/42 load means you'll get it balanced, whereas the current 32/32 load means you run out of flares way quicker than chaff.

Might wanna set all Georgian airfields as Blue Coalition, i.e. the other side instead of leaving them neutral. When I was doing my pass over Tbilisi, my wingman reached bingo fuel. I told him to RTB, and he chose to land in Tbilisi, which from what I gather wasn't appropriate considering the political circumstances to say the least, unless of course he was an ethnic Georgian defecting wink

The final planned leg back to Nalchik airfield was from heading 240. Might wanna adjust it so you come back in from 060 instead, as I believe you'd want to avoid landing from the direction of a heavily built up area. No big thing, it's more about making it look neater on the kneeboard.

If you could throw the altitudes and new headings for each planned leg of the flight into the briefing, that'd be great.

And a final note: I'd suggest putting an EWR radar in, preferably set up high in the Caucasus to ensure that it covers Georgian airspace. If there's going to be any prospect of A-A combat, the player will be having a very hard time even surviving without GCI.

Overall I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the campaign. I honestly think I'll prefer your alternate history campaign to the default completely fictional one. Nice touch with the fire engine in the start, really made the airfield feel alive which is unusual!

#4028718 - 10/29/14 06:01 AM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Chaff flares should be 3:1 thus the recommended 16/48 loadout by the dev.

#4028769 - 10/29/14 10:37 AM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
Scrim;

It looks like you tried out the original mission (or I screwed up somewhere) because I thought I fixed most of those issues. I'll double check just to be sure.

Some things I hadn't thought about - EWR: I'll set one up for all the missions. Headings: I'll have a look see if I can't figure out the headings for the the way-points. Chaff/Flares: Complete noob here. I didn't realize I could change that. I'll figure that one out as well. Thanks for the feedback!

#4029232 - 10/30/14 10:41 AM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Yeah, had gotten the old one it seems. Have looked at the new one. Couldn't raise AWACS, seems you hadn't given him a frequency. IIRC channel 0 (GCI channel) is 124 AM.

#4029252 - 10/30/14 11:53 AM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
duh
Fixed for next version, along with headings distances and altitudes incorporated into the briefing, and the chaff/flare loadout. Having a good time building this stuff. Please keep giving feedback!

#4029997 - 10/31/14 06:07 PM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
AlphaSix Offline
AlphaSix  Offline

It is not the planned route which decides how to approach an airport. So there is nothing wrong with the route.

#4047356 - 12/08/14 06:57 AM Re: Campaign being created (i hope) [Re: samba_liten]  
PishPosh Offline
PishPosh  Offline

California
To me, this is a much more interesting idea than the default campaign. Nice work, keep it up!

Moderated by  Force10, Rudel 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.