Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4027557 - 10/26/14 05:55 PM Confused about the purchase.  
swampyankee Offline
swampyankee  Offline

I posted this on the official forum and it was deleted immediately, not much help there anyway.

Did we pay for the locked material? Do I own it as a consequence of the exchange of currency?

I am retired from LE, we were taught the meaning of theft as denying access to property not your own. Do I actually own the material behind the locks or don't I? Or because that definition is according to US jurisprudence and 1C is an offshore concern it doesn't matter anyway.?

Another thing I've noticed is, this game is not accessible for the disabled. I experience a lot of pain due to my addiction to flight sims, (the very definition of addiction), so I have to use my time sitting behind the controls sparingly. To this add my desire to use my allotment of discipline to be in pain in the interest of feeding my addiction to be an MP only type person (I had gotten rid of all my gear once and found that more intolerable) . To fly offline isn't the way I want to use my self control over the pain I experience from sitting in one locked position just to access what I thought I had purchased.

Not whining, just stating the facts of what life is for me at the present. Life is still good for this mean, petulant child. wave

Last edited by swampyankee; 10/26/14 05:55 PM.
#4027559 - 10/26/14 06:04 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

You accuse 777 of stealing and wonder why your thread got deleted?

I guess we should create massive lawsuit to World of Tanks / Planes, Battle Field 2,3,4+ etc because they "stole" something Edit...

I would request we keep it civil, and not personal.

Thank you.

Last edited by Murphy; 10/26/14 06:26 PM.
#4027563 - 10/26/14 06:12 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
My understanding is that you pay for a license to use the software. You don't 'own' it. It's the same for practically all payware.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4027566 - 10/26/14 06:17 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
swampyankee Offline
swampyankee  Offline

No, I don't have any of those games.
Then again did you pay for the parts or just play for them, ie the parts aren't included in the purchase price. I wonder if any of them cost $95.00. That's why the question, did I pay for certain parts I can't use. Again read my definition of theft. I have heard many an inmate make up excuses why the law, as defined, shouldn't apply to them, but it's never considered a defense.
I'd gladly take a refund.

BTW, quote where I said anything about suing anyone. Or are you slandering me?

#4027568 - 10/26/14 06:19 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: Paul Rix]  
swampyankee Offline
swampyankee  Offline

Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
My understanding is that you pay for a license to use the software. You don't 'own' it. It's the same for practically all payware.

But whether you rent, lease or own, the parts are part and parcel of the agreement.

Say you rent a car and find out the engine is missing, should you spend more for the engine to be included? Another way to look at it, am I expected to pay extra cash for the locked parts of BOS? If not that's evidence I already own them.

Would you be happy with half of Photoshop?

Last edited by swampyankee; 10/26/14 06:25 PM.
#4027572 - 10/26/14 06:23 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
swampyankee Offline
swampyankee  Offline

You didn't answer the question. Or did you? wave2

#4027576 - 10/26/14 06:37 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
We're trying to keep it civil....'Officer, Deputy, or Trooper'... wink

You could help me, and I need help smile
I know it's tough on this particular forum, a lot of hard feelings from other sites wash over to us here.

We'd like BoS to mirror the other forums on our site, but we have moderators from other sites, and banned members from the same sites here at the same time, it makes for a volatile mix, as you can see. I'm hoping it will pass over time. I'm sure you can see our position, just enforcing 'our' rules.
I think if you take that into consideration, you'll understand the results we have in the BoS SimHqs forum right now.

Thanks, and....Glad to see you here. smile

Murphy, (retired fm Detroit).

"Murphy's Law"
#4027581 - 10/26/14 06:47 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: Paul Rix]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: Paul Rix

Correct, you own a license to use the software, you don't own someone else's IP.

For example, AutoCAD is going subscription only and I would never agree to such a license (nor the licensing of a Steam game).

My older AutoCAD license is perpetual, meaning theoretically I have the right use it forever regardless if Autodesk would prefer I upgrade (they can't force me to upgrade or somehow restrict/terminate my usage via online DRM).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4027582 - 10/26/14 06:50 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
swampyankee Offline
swampyankee  Offline

NP, if you want to lock this thread, if it's perceived as a nuisance call, I don't mind. Been here a long time (3rd forum name) and never had the urge to air my feelings about a game as I have with this one. I should just sell my game key and be done with it.

I wasn't trying to stir the pot, just pointing out some things I find objectionable. At least I never gave it a 0 on the critic site. hahaha

#4027585 - 10/26/14 06:59 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

Originally Posted By: swampyankee
I posted this on the official forum and it was deleted immediately, not much help there anyway.

Did we pay for the locked material? Do I own it as a consequence of the exchange of currency?

I am retired from LE, we were taught the meaning of theft as denying access to property not your own. Do I actually own the material behind the locks or don't I? Or because that definition is according to US jurisprudence and 1C is an offshore concern it doesn't matter anyway.?

Another thing I've noticed is, this game is not accessible for the disabled. I experience a lot of pain due to my addiction to flight sims, (the very definition of addiction), so I have to use my time sitting behind the controls sparingly. To this add my desire to use my allotment of discipline to be in pain in the interest of feeding my addiction to be an MP only type person (I had gotten rid of all my gear once and found that more intolerable) . To fly offline isn't the way I want to use my self control over the pain I experience from sitting in one locked position just to access what I thought I had purchased.

Not whining, just stating the facts of what life is for me at the present. Life is still good for this mean, petulant child. wave

I'm not sure I entirely understand your post about owning software, you basically purchase a license to use the software for entertainment purposes, other than it can get quite complicated even without dealing with overseas companies (some states have consumer rights, basically 30 days return etc).

Have you tried Voice Attack? You can issue commands through voice activation:

Voice Attack

I hope that helps.

#4027586 - 10/26/14 07:03 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
swampyankee Offline
swampyankee  Offline

Thanks Penquin I'm not as bad off as many others. I still have use of my extremities, just have trouble sitting in one position for any length of time.

#4027588 - 10/26/14 07:10 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Then again did you pay for the parts or just play for them, ie the parts aren't included in the purchase price. I wonder if any of them cost $95.00. That's why the question, did I pay for certain parts I can't use. Again read my definition of theft. I have heard many an inmate make up excuses why the law, as defined, shouldn't apply to them, but it's never considered a defense.

I got a refund. i stated the simulation that they advertised and i played in EarlyAccess no longer existed. The introduction of "power ups" put the product into the game category. It took some back and forth but eventually they gave me a full refund. $89.99. you need to "unlock" your refund by answering 20 questions

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4027593 - 10/26/14 07:13 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

Originally Posted By: rubblebeam

I got a refund. i stated the simulation that they advertised and i played in EarlyAccess no longer existed. The introduction of "power ups" put the product into the game category. It took some back and forth but eventually they gave me a full refund. $89.99. you need to "unlock" your refund by answering 20 questions

Did you get a refund through Steam?

#4027594 - 10/26/14 07:14 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

No i opened a support ticket.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4027598 - 10/26/14 07:26 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

Originally Posted By: rubblebeam
No i opened a support ticket.

That's cool smile.

Not that I am looking for a refund, but those who are shouldn't have an issue it seems. I know Steam can be problematic in this area.

#4027607 - 10/26/14 07:49 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Swamp Yankee check your PMs..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4027639 - 10/26/14 09:13 PM Re: Confused about the purchase. [Re: swampyankee]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
If you are not happy with your purchase, can you sell your copy of the game or game key here? Maybe a SimHQ member that is on-the-fence on this can jump in at a lower price-point. You won't be getting 100% of your money back, but you're helping out a member of the simming community and giving your copy of the game a chance to do what it was made for.

I know people sell/trade their DCS modules so I don't see why this would be a problem.

- Ice

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.