Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4027372 - 10/26/14 02:08 AM Okay, it's official. I suck and need help!  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Okay, so I got the game, tried my best to configure my Warthog/rudder/TIR to the game. I tried doing a quick mission, head-to-head dogfight, and quickly realized how much I suck. I guess I got spoiled by the F-16s FBW system.

It's both annoying and refreshing to be a total noob all over again. Please feel free to educate me on the following topics:

1. When flying the RU aircraft, I seem to be stalling a lot. Or I presume it's a stall. I'm turning hard left, then all of a sudden (sometimes as we merge), my aircraft just goes bonkers and rolls to the right. Sometimes I recover, sometimes I don't. Most times I don't. I don't get as much of it on the GER aircraft. What am I doing wrong? Too much AoA? Not enough rudder (spoiled by the F-16!)?

2. Flying on full throttle breaks the engine?

3. How the hell do you shoot down enemy aircraft????!!! Granted, I probably bit off more than I can chew by going Expert mode, but I just can't fly properly on the Normal mode, but I'm missing the "cues" on the Normal mode. Flying the GER aircraft, I was in a good trail position on the RU plane, in a banking left turn. I just can't seem to pull enough lead though. Keeping him in my sights means my shots fall short, but I don't like the idea of losing him under my nose. How is this done in real life? I was hoping more for tracking shots than snapshots.

4. My TIR can't seem to look down far enough. Does it have to be adjusted? It seems okay on the TIR window, but "looking down" in the game seems to only look maybe 30-degree below horizon and not totally downwards.

Any help appreciated! Please feel free to use simple English terms as I'll probably get lost in all the information overload. Thanks!

- Ice
#4027382 - 10/26/14 02:41 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Ice, I would go over to the official forums and ask for help.
Like you I've been around here for a long time, and I can tell you it's going downhill if you haven't noticed.
More asshats, fewer of the old timers.

There's a petulant, entitled element over there too, but it's a bit more tempered than around here, and
you'll find more helpful gents.

Cheers

Last edited by Gambit21; 10/26/14 02:43 AM.
#4027387 - 10/26/14 02:58 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted By: - Ice

1. When flying the RU aircraft,

Practice (a lot) with YAK-1 first - LaGG is more "heavy".

Quote:

2. Flying on full throttle breaks the engine?

If you are in EXPERT mode the CEM (complex engine management) is ON, so engine fried if stressed.
You need know planes limits (ATA, RPM...).

See: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10268-chucks-aircraft-guide/page-2#entry188538

Quote:

3. Granted, I probably bit off more than I can chew by going Expert mode, but I just can't fly properly on the Normal mode, but I'm missing the "cues" on the Normal mode.

The FM is the same in NORMAL and EXPERT modes, but NORMAL have AIDS (Engine, Nav, Aim) on - that can be turned off until de difference between the two modes became external view.

Quote:

Flying the GER aircraft, I was in a good trail position on the RU plane, in a banking left turn. I just can't seem to pull enough lead though. Keeping him in my sights means my shots fall short, but I don't like the idea of losing him under my nose.

Aerial shoot is a art. Await the "Experten". smile

Meanwhile, worth reading:

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/lento_ohjeet/inpursuit/inpursuit.pdf

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 10/26/14 02:58 AM.
#4027398 - 10/26/14 03:59 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
gx007 Offline
gx007  Offline

Menifee, CA
I set convergence to 300

Stay above and dive to close gap

Get real close and shoot

#4027413 - 10/26/14 04:31 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
IL2 Sturmovik

You will most likely find more help and less drama over there since the sim is so new.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4027417 - 10/26/14 04:55 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: Bearcat99]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
IL2 Sturmovik

You will most likely find more help and less drama over there since the sim is so new.

So disagreeing with you is drama? Voicing your opinion on theses Forums, positive or critical is Drama? The only difference between here and BOS Forum is that here, on SIMHQs Forum, both the positive and critical posts are actually left posted and not deleted or locked. It would be my opinion that the BOS Forum actually has more Drama and drives more Forum members away by its no criticism policy. Just clearing up the facts here.

S!Blade<><

#4027421 - 10/26/14 05:07 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: Bearcat99]  
Wolf_Rider Offline
Wolf_Rider  Offline

Australia
IL2 Sturmovik

no, its because its so heavily censored...

“Hypocrisy in anything whatever may deceive the cleverest and most penetrating man, but the least wide-awake of children recognizes it, and is revolted by it, however ingeniously it may be disguised.”

Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
#4027428 - 10/26/14 05:54 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
ATAG_Bliss Offline
ATAG_Bliss  Offline

Originally Posted By: Blade_Meister
IL2 Sturmovik

So disagreeing with you is drama? Voicing your opinion on theses Forums, positive or critical is Drama? The only difference between here and BOS Forum is that here, on SIMHQs Forum, both the positive and critical posts are actually left posted and not deleted or locked. It would be my opinion that the BOS Forum actually has more Drama and drives more Forum members away by its no criticism policy. Just clearing up the facts here.

S!Blade<><

Yes - It's amazing isn't it?

After the Eagle's Nest server was shut down, (before it was known why) I posted that the SE guys probably criticized the game and Jason took their server away.

Not only was that post deleted, but I was banned for it. Of course, it wasn't another hour later that it was confirmed that is exactly what happened in the 1st place. So the person that confirmed and essentially said the SAME exact thing as me was not banned, their posts not deleted etc.

So after a few PMs to said moderators about the situation, specifically asking what rules I broke, or why I was banned to begin with, essentially noone did anything about it. So now my forum profile says I have to accept my warning before I post again. Considering I did absolutely nothing wrong, and the 2 sentences I wrote were later of course confirmed, I'm never going to "accept my warning" because the mods over there are obviously out on their own powertrip. I'm not about to get treated by a child by the likes of narcissistic delusional moderators.

So just like many have already done, I have no intention of ever posting there again. I find it quite amusing watching some of the same mods trying to stomp their feet in here as well except, now they are getting a taste of their own dirty bath water. You reap what you sow. Karma is such a cool thing smile

I would tell BC, "I told you so" about the entire thing as essentially every single thing I've said about it has come true, but it's really pointless. He's obviously somewhere stuck in his own delusions of grandeur.

#4027434 - 10/26/14 06:36 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Getting back to helping Ice with his query;

I fly the LaGG 3 a lot and noticed that if I yank the stick (rather than ease) to bank tight I can sometimes lose the edge and spin-- use your standard method to get out of a spin- the LaGG 3 is pretty forgiving and can climb well so it is easy enough to get right back into the thick of things. I've set my gun convergence for 150m and use really short bursts (max two seconds). I found attacking the He III's that engine hits are, for me, a good way to bring 'em down and at 150 metres its a bit easier to target them. I'll often invert and dive down on them (only have to worry about the top turret then), rinse and repeat if needed. Fighters have been mostly ME 109s (not seen a FW yet) and again short bursts at close close range. Don't forget to use your flaps too.

Kind regards,
Dave

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
#4027438 - 10/26/14 07:14 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Warmbrak Offline
Warmbrak  Offline

Western Australia
If you are used the flying the Viper you are most likely a "pressure" control flyer - with WW2 sims I have found it is probably better to fly with full stick movement; this helps to better control the range of control surface deflection just before flight departure (something that the FBW on the Viper will do for you). Keep energy up and learn the safe manoeuvring speeds for each aircraft. I found that in a turning fight in BOS you will constantly be on the edge of an accelerated stall when you are ready to fire your weapons; avoid pulling too hard and only take the shot if you are ready.

I am no expert by any means, but remember it took some transitioning getting into this sim from others. In the campaign I am very selective when engaging in a dogfight as things can go wrong very quickly! And one tip for booming and zooming; watch out for overspeeding as it is easy to get carried away and then find out you have no control authority and subsequently auger in.

Just ignore the politics; there are many opinions but little substance around here bananadance

#4027456 - 10/26/14 10:30 AM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Play DCS: WW2 or TF-CloD if you want a proper sim. Mind you it's all about the MP there but you sure as hell learn quick how to fly your aircraft.

If you want to do loops in a He-111, BoS is for you.

With DCS, I'm hanging for the Spitfire but wouldn't mind the P-47 or 109-K.

I think you missed a sale just recently. They had aircraft for 75% off. I picked up the Dora for $15, even though it's a plane that doesn't really interest me. Blasphemy I know. But they seem to have sales with every major calendar event so keep an eye out.

#4027514 - 10/26/14 03:21 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

- Ice

I would stick with normal mode and turn off icons by pressing "H". Don't go into combat right away and get a feel for your aircraft. Each one has its own personality. Do couple loops, split-S and other maneuvers then do couple patterns. I would practice gunnery on something slow like He111 or IL2. Just dont give them any ammo.

Flight sim cancer of butt-hurt brigade is strong here. I would use other forum as well.

#4027520 - 10/26/14 03:41 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Jaws2002 Offline
Jaws2002  Offline

Ontario, Canada.
Ice, the biggest problem you have, when going from modern jet sims to ww2 planes it's being used to huge amounts of THRUST

WW2 planes have very poor thrust to weight ratio compared to the modern ones, so the engine can't sustain your maneuvers. The harder you maneuver the more energy you bleed, and there's not enough thrust to compensate for it. Your plane will try to contimue the maneuver but you'll bleed speed rapidly, until you stall.
Try to think ahead of your moves. Always think of a way to get into a position, in a way that bleeds the least amount of energy. Horizontal turns will bleed the most speed.
Also is important to move the stick very smooth. the more you jerk the stick the more energy you blow.
The reason German planes are better at this, it's because they have better thrust to weight ratio.

#4027528 - 10/26/14 04:12 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Learn to walk before you try to run.

That is, choose one aircraft and get comfortable with it doing take-offs, landings and aerobatics. Understand how engine management works and what the safe parameters are under wich to work the engine without blowing it up. Yes, there's much more to it then simply pushing the throttle forward.

Set up simple QBs vs rookie bombers to train basic gunnery and deflection shooting.

Practice, practice, practice...

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4027531 - 10/26/14 04:23 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Hmm, if you look at the numbers probably only 3% of us here at SimHQ are ass hats

I think the rest are good folk smile

#4027532 - 10/26/14 04:32 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: bisher]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

Originally Posted By: bisher
Hmm, if you look at the numbers probably only 3% of us here at SimHQ are ass hats

I think the rest are good folk smile

Only takes a small determined minority smile. Seriously though, I wish they would stop pushing other sims as I play them too and their incessant trolling has started to make me dislike the other simulations they're pushing.

Right now I am finding it hard to start the other simulations which I normally enjoy too due to people like Edit (sorry, no personal attacks) (nothing personal,just using you as example). Please just stop already, its not working and is actually back-firing and even at worse it might drive someone away completely from the simulations we like far more than WT or BOS or any "game" "sim" call it what you like is doing.

Last edited by Murphy; 10/26/14 06:00 PM.
#4027562 - 10/26/14 06:11 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: - Ice]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Two, of the 'few' rules we have here, are no 'personal attacks', and do not post things that are NSFW.

We don't 'ban' people for posting what they 'perceive' as faults, with ANY game.
Other posters are free to disagree with any assessments, but without any 'personal' attacks on fellow members.
Taking sides, would be controlling what people post about a game, we (moderators) don't do that.
This particular forum (BoS) is what the members make it.
As are all the forums at SimHqs.

You like the game, post your thoughts.
You find fault with the game, share your ideas.
If someone disagrees, they have the right to post a counter point.
We don't control what people 'think', on this forum.

What this thread, or the BoS forum becomes or is, will be determined by the members themselves.
It's your forum, we have no skin in the 'game', whatever game it may be.
Our concern, is the members of our forums.

Just a reminder. smile
Sorry for the interruption.

Murphy.

-----------

Edit; BTW, Ice, I don't think you 'suck', and wish you'd have chosen a different title.
How about just "I need help"?
I can change it, if you'd like.

Just seems a little more 'proper', without that in the title.
But like I said, it's "our" forum, and it's your decision, your thread, and your name.
wink

Last edited by Murphy; 10/26/14 06:19 PM.

"Murphy's Law"
#4027601 - 10/26/14 07:32 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: ATAG_Bliss]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
IL2 Sturmovik

S!Blade<><

Originally Posted By: Wolf_Rider
IL2 Sturmovik

no, its because its so heavily censored...

Originally Posted By: ATAG_Bliss
IL2 Sturmovik

S!Blade<><

Yes - It's amazing isn't it?

After the Eagle's Nest server was shut down, (before it was known why) I posted that the SE guys probably criticized the game and Jason took their server away.

Not only was that post deleted, but I was banned for it. Of course, it wasn't another hour later that it was confirmed that is exactly what happened in the 1st place. So the person that confirmed and essentially said the SAME exact thing as me was not banned, their posts not deleted etc.

So after a few PMs to said moderators about the situation, specifically asking what rules I broke, or why I was banned to begin with, essentially noone did anything about it. So now my forum profile says I have to accept my warning before I post again. Considering I did absolutely nothing wrong, and the 2 sentences I wrote were later of course confirmed, I'm never going to "accept my warning" because the mods over there are obviously out on their own powertrip. I'm not about to get treated by a child by the likes of narcissistic delusional moderators.

So just like many have already done, I have no intention of ever posting there again. I find it quite amusing watching some of the same mods trying to stomp their feet in here as well except, now they are getting a taste of their own dirty bath water. You reap what you sow. Karma is such a cool thing smile

I would tell BC, "I told you so" about the entire thing as essentially every single thing I've said about it has come true, but it's really pointless. He's obviously somewhere stuck in his own delusions of grandeur.

Ice this is part of what I mean by less drama. There are more people on the BoS boards who actually use BoS and are more likely to try to help you than folks who just have axes to grind. Those folks with axes to grind are on BoS too .. but they just don't have the same degree of latitude to harass and slander folks. I said nothing to these guys ... and here they are in this thread quoting me and talking smack, one about something I had absolutely nothing to do with because I wasn't there, didn't ban him, never saw his message because I was scarce on the BoS boards for the last few weeks and don't know Jack about what he is referring to, but here he is quoting me and the other two just being themselves I guess.. but lending nothing assisting you with your problem. This is what I mean by less drama. I am sure that at some point the admins here will do what they have to because SHQ has not survived this long for no reason but I really wish these folks would just stop following me around like those people in white in The Leftovers.. Because I am a moderator at BoS some people seem to hink I am not supposed to have an opinion of my own especially if it contradicts their mantra of "BoS SUUUUUUCKss"..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4027614 - 10/26/14 08:11 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: Bearcat99]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest

Ice this is part of what I mean by less drama.

Yep

#4027635 - 10/26/14 09:09 PM Re: Okay, it's official. I suck and need help! [Re: Bearcat99]  
ATAG_Bliss Offline
ATAG_Bliss  Offline

Ice this is part of what I mean by less drama. There are more people on the BoS boards who actually use BoS and are more likely to try to help you than folks who just have axes to grind. Those folks with axes to grind are on BoS too .. but they just don't have the same degree of latitude to harass and slander folks. I said nothing to these guys ... and here they are in this thread quoting me and talking smack, one about something I had absolutely nothing to do with because I wasn't there, didn't ban him, never saw his message because I was scarce on the BoS boards for the last few weeks and don't know Jack about what he is referring to, but here he is quoting me and the other two just being themselves I guess.. but lending nothing assisting you with your problem. This is what I mean by less drama. I am sure that at some point the admins here will do what they have to because SHQ has not survived this long for no reason but I really wish these folks would just stop following me around like those people in white in The Leftovers.. Because I am a moderator at BoS some people seem to hink I am not supposed to have an opinion of my own especially if it contradicts their mantra of "BoS SUUUUUUCKss"..

If what I said is untrue, then by all means tell me exactly what part. If you can't handle people posting facts and the only thing you can do about it is try to discredit those people posting facts with strawman hyperbole, then I'd say you obviously don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I have no axe to grind whatsoever. I, just like the entire human population, will criticize and fight for what we think is right all in the hopes for CHANGE. This is how the world works. This is how it's always worked.

And in video gaming, if you just sit there and be silent and say everything is just fine, no change will ever be made. One such example was the FW190 cockpit issue. There was an uproar on the forums. Believe it or not, those people all complaining didn't have an axe to grind either. It shouldn't really be that hard of a concept to understand, but those people simply wanted CHANGE, and more specifically, those people just wanted the FW190 cockpit to be fixed.

I'll leave you once again in your delusions of grandeur and your video game conspiracy theories. I'll just stick to the facts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.