Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4025815 - 10/22/14 09:23 PM Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I keep seeing these terms but I don't know what they mean in a gaming context (I first thought XP was referring to Windows XP but I don't think so now).

Would someone please give me a quick definition of what they mean? Thanks.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4025820 - 10/22/14 09:30 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
XP = Experience Points?

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4025821 - 10/22/14 09:31 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

You most likely find those word description in Role Playing Games (RPG) and Massive Online Multiplayer (MMO).

XP, experience points. Those are from tasks completed and battles won

Unlock, the reason for experience points when you get enough points, you open a ability to use in-game

Grind, The process of repeating the same battle or task to gain more money or experience point to unlock or gain an item.

Last edited by DaBBQ; 10/22/14 09:32 PM.
#4025822 - 10/22/14 09:33 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
Used typically in MMO's (Massively Multiplayer Online).

XP - Experience. Get experience to gain levels

Grind - Repeat certain, potentially lucrative, XP areas to gain levels quickly.

Unlock - Gain the ability to use certain skills at different levels, allowing your character to make meaningful progress in play style.

This is generally what the terms mean.

#4025826 - 10/22/14 09:40 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Ah, no wonder I didn't get it as I'm not an online gamer, nor have I stayed current (mobile games). Many thanks.

The sun is in the east
#4025954 - 10/23/14 03:16 AM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
And now flying games as well, such as Battle of Stalingrad

#4026017 - 10/23/14 09:02 AM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Other new words I have seen since dipping into War Thunder:
Nerf
Buff
Derp
that this old geezer doesn't know the meaning of. Fo shizzle.

#4026018 - 10/23/14 09:02 AM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: bisher]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: bisher
LOL!

It's nothing really new though. Even with F22 ADF/TAW, you were expected to run through some low-risk missions in order to gain the rank required (based on a points system) to unlock the harder missions.
At least DiD responded to their customer's anguish by releasing a patch to avoid this part of the game and open up all missions shortly after it was released.

While we're on the subject of MMOs, can anyone explain the appeal of the Star Trek one? Surely everybody can't be Captain Kirk?

#4026119 - 10/23/14 03:29 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The Star Trek one doesn't take place then, it takes place during the TNG/DS9 era long after Kirk's dead.

The appeal there is apparently to be a starship captain, not Kirk himself.

Anyway, I find the BoS uproar about XP and unlocks funny when it's the same mechanism as ranks but with a different naming convention. The original Il-2 gives you points for kills, 100 per plane engine, I think 20 for a ground unit, nothing for a building, and I forget what a ship nets you.
Instead of XP, you'd get a medal at the end, but far more easily than a real pilot ever would. How many of us have a pilot in a flight sim with MULTIPLE MOH's, let alone crosses and ribbons and whatever? The idea that THAT is acceptable while a pure points system with predefined rewards at multiple junctures is not, instead of being promoted to 4 star general, is laughable.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4026132 - 10/23/14 03:54 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
The point about BoS seems to be that in FB (can't remember the very first one) you could progress trough a career, fly all planes, use all weapons, without ever shooting a single enemy down, just by staying alive.

Whereas in BoS it's a "shoot down two aircraft or you have to replay the mission" deal, no?

Rewards as in Promotions, Medals, command over other aircraft is realistic in a flightsim. Only getting bigger bombs or new aircraft if you have shot down enough enemies is very unrealistic.

#4026138 - 10/23/14 04:03 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
XP, grinding and unlocks are mechanisms that incentivise people to play MMOs.

At some point the game will dangle a carrot under your nose of "Pay me some £/$/€ and you can gain XP and unlocks faster".

The problem with BOS is it has introduced MMO mechanics into a flight sim. The only way this makes any sense at all is if they intent to dange the carrot under the player's nose at some point.

#4026144 - 10/23/14 04:09 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Nerf - The purposeful reduction (often permanent) in power or damage of a particular item, weapon, or user skill/power in order to balance for gameplay.

Buff - A (usually temporary) increase in power or damage of a particular item, weapon, or user skill/superpower in order to enhance player gameplay and survivability.

Derp - An in-game retard move or a dumbass player, as related to gameplay.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#4026145 - 10/23/14 04:10 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Destiny is a PERFECT example of ALL of these terms in one game.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#4026160 - 10/23/14 04:49 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: mikew]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: mikew
It's nothing really new though. Even with F22 ADF/TAW, you were expected to run through some low-risk missions in order to gain the rank required (based on a points system) to unlock the harder missions.
At least DiD responded to their customer's anguish by releasing a patch to avoid this part of the game and open up all missions shortly after it was released.

And even before they did you could get around it, just load some bombs and after your CAP WPs are satisfied you pay a little visit to the closest enemy airbase. smile The beauty of a real-time campaign, even if flawed a little (I read somewhere that if no planned player or AI strike missions were currently underway to a particular airbase, the base could be caught "sleeping").

Although I never understood why the green rookie was still allowed to "fly" AWACS Controller missions, while giving instant access to the cockpit of any F-22 on the map.

The sun is in the east
#4026201 - 10/23/14 06:10 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: bisher]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

Yeah, that's where I'm seeing it. I play old games so these terms make little sense to me (although I kinda guessed one right).

Like understanding the terminology to my parent's 2014 Rav4, "To connect your smart-phone blue-tooth to Entunes..." Wha??? Yelling at car, "I want Rock!" and the station turns to XM "Hip Hop Nation" and a woman's voice says, "I don't understand your request." Obviously.

Somebody transport me back to the 1980's please! smile

#4026261 - 10/23/14 08:21 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: MarkG]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Mark, the 80's called and wants you back smile

#4026273 - 10/23/14 08:47 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
The point about BoS seems to be that in FB (can't remember the very first one) you could progress trough a career, fly all planes, use all weapons, without ever shooting a single enemy down, just by staying alive.

Whereas in BoS it's a "shoot down two aircraft or you have to replay the mission" deal, no?

Rewards as in Promotions, Medals, command over other aircraft is realistic in a flightsim. Only getting bigger bombs or new aircraft if you have shot down enough enemies is very unrealistic.

You get points from takeoff and landing. You also get points for completing the mission. If the mission is to stop an enemy raid by shooting down 2 planes, that's the mission. I've not played enough yet to see if there are missions that are not tied to having X number of kills where perhaps you could damage them enough that they fail to take out their targets, but honestly, what kind of a pilot are you playing as if you never shoot down a plane or destroy a ground target? confused

Besides, it's not linear campaign after the tutorial's 4 tiny ones (as in I flew all of them while waiting for Arma 3 Military Monday to start in about 25 mins on Monday night), so if you see a mission is to do something you don't want to do, you pick another one. There's no "play THIS mission and win it THIS way or you don't proceed".

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4026282 - 10/23/14 08:59 PM Re: Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP? [Re: bisher]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Mark, the 80's called and wants you back smile

My tapes are packed and "I'm ret' to go!" (eh, that quote is really 1990)

I'll even stay 47 (I like my age and my hair was crap anyway). I'll need a pair of VH 1984 tickets (they were what, about $15.00/piece?) and a new 5-speed Fiero GT w/tops.

I still refuse to pay over $20k for a car and a new loaded '88 should sticker a little over $16k (sweet)...

http://cloud9classics.com/1988-pontiac-fiero-gt-15900/

Insurance will probably suck worse than my new '89 CRX Si but wait...I'll be 47!

Oh man, I hope I make it in time for the Signals tour.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.