Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4024011 - 10/18/14 05:01 AM Anyone see Fury yet?  
theKhan Offline
resident pacifist (sic)
theKhan  Offline
resident pacifist (sic)

Canada
Just got back from this.

I thought it was a great war movie, definitely will become iconic. The equipment was authentic and I thought that the tank engagement was also great. Was fantastic to see a real Tiger out to play.

Best thing about it was the crappy things people do at war. Couple of disturbing scenes.

Also, really do think that like SPR, the obligatory SS Amateur hour at the end was unnecessary.

I used to work for a living, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4024018 - 10/18/14 05:48 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Richie61 Offline
Richie61  Offline

New England, USA
I went and saw it today. I thought the movie was AWESOME! Kind of a split between Band of Brothers and Saving Pvt. Ryan. Very realistic movie. The weapons were spot on and the special effects were great! The cannon sound effects were SWEET!

The movie didn't hold anything back. Dirty, grim and showed the horrors of war and the effects it has on the men who go to war. IMHO it won't be a box office hit. It's not an action flick, but a down and dirty war story.

I would rate this as a top 5 or better war movie! Going to add this to my collection the day of the DVD
release!

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."

Dale Earnhardt
#4024020 - 10/18/14 05:56 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Looking forward to this one.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#4024027 - 10/18/14 06:30 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
ABC News had a segment devoted to the movie and asked a WW2 tank operator his opinion. He said they got the relations and activities within the tank accurate and was a good representation of what happens in battle.

Still not sure I want to see this. It seems like an old Nintendo video game I played where the lone tank goes in and saves the day. Loved the game. If the movie is like that I have no interest.

#4024088 - 10/18/14 01:28 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Richie61 Offline
Richie61  Offline

New England, USA
It's not a movie where a lone tank takes on 20 Tigers and shoots while zooming around on one tread like a thrill show. driving

It's a very realistic movie in terms of their mission and outcome. Without giving too much away, they started with a group of Shermans and they are moving into a blocking position to stop a German force on the move. This is towards the very end of the movie. The Tiger combat is quick & sharp in the movie. It's not Tiger's everywhere. Really only one tank on tank combat scene out of the many combat sections of the movie.

Great movie, but the ending isn't a Hollywood ending of the good guys riding into the sunset. It's a war is hell, dirty, grim and the horrors of war flick. I didn't come out thinking war is fun, a great thing and let's all kill Germans and life is good.

I saw it at 3:50 PM and the place had mostly older people in their late 60's and older. After the movie ended there wasn't a single person talking. I followed a few of them out and they didn't say a single thing to their
wife as they walked thru the parking lot.

Said this before: "Dirty, grim and showed the horrors of war and the effects it has on the men who go to war."

PS: It's not a Kelly's Heroes in any shape or form wink

Last edited by Richie61; 10/18/14 01:28 PM.

Dale Earnhardt
#4024106 - 10/18/14 02:15 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Originally Posted By: theKhan

Also, really do think that like SPR, the obligatory SS Amateur hour at the end was unnecessary.

That's what has me the most concerned about movies like this. How preachy or biased they're going to be.

Still want to see this though.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#4024115 - 10/18/14 03:08 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
GrayWolf Offline
GrayWolf  Offline

Michigan
Great War Movie, the final battle was a little over the top but I still recommend this film to any War Buff.
I give it 5 Stars *****

Iron Fury Co-op Missions for IFL44

Iron Reich Co-op Group

IFR Forum

~S~

#4024125 - 10/18/14 03:42 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: Richie61]  
theKhan Offline
resident pacifist (sic)
theKhan  Offline
resident pacifist (sic)

Canada
Originally Posted By: Richie61
It's not a movie where a lone tank takes on 20 Tigers and shoots while zooming around on one tread like a thrill show. driving

It's a very realistic movie in terms of their mission and outcome. Without giving too much away, they started with a group of Shermans and they are moving into a blocking position to stop a German force on the move. This is towards the very end of the movie. The Tiger combat is quick & sharp in the movie. It's not Tiger's everywhere. Really only one tank on tank combat scene out of the many combat sections of the movie.

Great movie, but the ending isn't a Hollywood ending of the good guys riding into the sunset. It's a war is hell, dirty, grim and the horrors of war flick. I didn't come out thinking war is fun, a great thing and let's all kill Germans and life is good.

I saw it at 3:50 PM and the place had mostly older people in their late 60's and older. After the movie ended there wasn't a single person talking. I followed a few of them out and they didn't say a single thing to their

Said this before: "Dirty, grim and showed the horrors of war and the effects it has on the men who go to war."

The Tiger scene was realistic, except no Tiger driver worth his salt would start driving towards multiple Shermans. That aside, I really enjoyed that scene.

But the final battle was ridiculous, there is NO way that would ever happen..

#4024126 - 10/18/14 03:43 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: HogDriver]  
theKhan Offline
resident pacifist (sic)
theKhan  Offline
resident pacifist (sic)

Canada
Originally Posted By: HogDriver

That's what has me the most concerned about movies like this. How preachy or biased they're going to be.

Still want to see this though.

Its one of the few movies that deserves to be watched on the full screen. All flaws aside, definitely a great night at the movies.

#4024131 - 10/18/14 04:01 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Richie61 Offline
Richie61  Offline

New England, USA
The Tiger scene was realistic, except no Tiger driver worth his salt would start driving towards multiple Shermans. That aside, I really enjoyed that scene.

Thought he was trying to get clear of the smoke? Multiple Shermans at one point wacky

Dale Earnhardt
#4024285 - 10/18/14 11:30 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

You should read about Michael Wittman
He attacked a British armoured Colum in a single tiger destroying most of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wittmann

#4024297 - 10/19/14 12:11 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: marko1231123]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: marko1231123

Something tells me no Hollywood studio will be making a film based on that. ;-)

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4024327 - 10/19/14 03:35 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Seems to me I read somewhere that it would take several Sherman's working together to take down one Tiger, the Tiger having a slower turret speed but enough armor to literally shrug off the Sherman's shells.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4024617 - 10/19/14 10:09 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Wow. Just came back from seeing this. You certainly don't walk out of the theater thinking, "Gee, it must have been really cool to have served in a Sherman tank during WW2." No sugar coating, here.
Terrific film. I've been following it's development ever since I heard about the project, last year. It didn't disappoint me.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4024622 - 10/19/14 10:15 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
SFViper19D Offline
Forum Scout
SFViper19D  Offline
Forum Scout

Goshen, IN.
Saw it and loved it. They nailed so many of the details even down to the interior sound of bullets bouncing off the exterior of the tank.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

I5-2500K
Corsair H80 Cooler
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
Diamond Radeon HD5870
1TB HDD
Corsair HX750w
Windows 7 (64-bit)
#4024628 - 10/19/14 10:31 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
reconmercs Offline
reconmercs  Offline

an island
Saw it, probably will see it again before it leaves the theaters. Absolutely loved it, its definitely up there with Saving Private Ryan if not better in some aspects. Definitely gives you an even deeper appreciation for that generation of fighting men.

#4024647 - 10/19/14 11:59 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
I enjoyed the movie. It's two and a quarter hours long but didn't feel like it. The time went by quickly, although it dragged a bit in the middle when they were trying to set up the change in the newbie assistant tank driver's character transition. And what happened at the end with the same newbie assistant tank driver was totally unbelievable. Totally. A similar thing was set up realistically in Saving Private Ryan, but it wasn't realistic here. Not a bit. That was really annoying and diminished the sense of realism that existed in most of the movie. They also needed a better actor for that particular character. The boy could not act.

The way they make movies in Hollywood is basically cookie cutter. Either the central character does not change but has such an effect on the other characters that he causes them to change, or everyone stays basically the same throughout the movie but the central character changes. None of the veteran tank crew were going to change. It wouldn't have been realistic. They were set in their ways, having fought Germans on two continents. So the producer, director, and screenwriter had a problem. They had to come with a character would change in some profound and noticeable way. So they tacked on this kid [I won't spoil it] to undergo this huge character transition in what seemed record time. Those of us that saw the movie know what happened to change him. It felt a little bit too pat.

Other than that bit of Hollywood nonsense, I loved the battles, the language, etc. The first person shots of the tank gunner firing at the Tiger near the end were very cool.

Last edited by Plainsman; 10/20/14 12:08 AM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4024651 - 10/20/14 12:30 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

Good or bad, I will see this flick in a theater. Hollywood is Moneywood. Cuttercutter is a cheaper way to go. I agree with Plainsman 's comments. tanksalot

#4024657 - 10/20/14 12:41 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
A lot right. A lot wrong.

Never knew you could see tracers when fired AT you. Road marching around totally oblivious to providing security drove me nuts. All tank guns and turrets always pointed at the 12 o'clock. Or at each other when ever on a road. these things drove me NUTS.

I loved how they portrayed how many US vets felt about the SS and how they should be treated. I wish they more explained WHY this was. So many modern folks have a hard on for SS troops. I think showing how US troops felt about them was pretty great.

The working tiger... awesome!

More chopped liver after a certain 2 frag grenades went off in a confined space.

hmm pull into a German town and get drunk when in the middle of the enemies heart land? Seems like a BAD idea to me. Just who was pulling security? Why let your biggest firepower asset crews go get drunk?

Click to reveal..
Final battle was truly laughable. So vet SS guys never thought of smoking out the static tank and then going with a close in assault until after they lost like 20 guys? Not to mention why on earth would you stay and fight a clearly losing battle. Why not throw thermite on the engine deck, pull back, let folks know what is coming and then draw a new working tank from the motor pool and go back out? By not reporting what was coming and if you where wasted right quick without inflicting large casualties you are in effect doing more harm than good. But this was kind of covered in the movie. However just the same. An entire tank platoon goes off the air, maybe it might be important to know WHY by higher. And driving around the German country side as a single tank platoon with no infantry support?

Why was a Staff Sgt called TOP? Seemed off to me. Maybe I missed something there.

#4024661 - 10/20/14 12:51 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: marko1231123

Something tells me no Hollywood studio will be making a film based on that. ;-)

LoL very true,

But here's a very good documentary about his exploits and the mystery surrounding his death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mCNz7OC8YIs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.