Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4023546 - 10/17/14 04:16 AM Friendly AI bugged?  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
I cannot seem to get bombers and ground attack wingmen to engage ground targets no matter what command I give them. Once we get to the target area, they just start to circle and will not respond to any orders I give them except return home and land.

has anyone been able to get them to successfully attack a ground target?

S = k ln W
#4023579 - 10/17/14 09:26 AM Re: Friendly AI bugged? [Re: mugwump]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Not with any consistency. Sometimes my Stuka wingmen manage to succesfully bomb a target, often enough they just release their bombs the moment I do, hitting nothing but the Rodina. And they are VERY likely to crash into the ground if I repeat the "attack ground targets" once they have descended to low altitudes.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4023591 - 10/17/14 10:19 AM Re: Friendly AI bugged? [Re: mugwump]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted By: mugwump
I cannot seem to get bombers and ground attack wingmen to engage ground targets no matter what command I give them. Once we get to the target area, they just start to circle and will not respond to any orders I give them except return home and land.

has anyone been able to get them to successfully attack a ground target?

FWIW yesterday I flew a campaign mission with a Stuka on normal difficulty. Target was artillery emplacements. After missing with the bombs in the dive and after trying some strafing runs with no success (yes I suck, big time) I turned away towards base and, glancing back, noticed one of my wingmen hit the target with a bomb after a shallow dive. Mission success.

So far I have totally ignored the wingmen, and didn't even know you could issue commands to them. Browsing through the controls I only saw the "hand gestures", stuff leftover from ROF.

It seems they also land after me, if I wait long enough. IIRC in ROF they just crashed into the hangars smile

Last edited by nibbio; 10/17/14 11:28 AM.
#4023647 - 10/17/14 02:13 PM Re: Friendly AI bugged? [Re: mugwump]  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
I think the Sturmoviks are the worst for not attacking ground targets. I've never seen them fire their rockets, no matter how many times I order them to attack.

S = k ln W
#4023798 - 10/17/14 06:18 PM Re: Friendly AI bugged? [Re: mugwump]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
In single mission they fire the rockets on RTB, near the home base - careful to not get in front of them. smile

Loft explaining AI "Skill" (or lack of):

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/2002-...-31#entry216675

Sokol1

#4023850 - 10/17/14 08:58 PM Re: Friendly AI bugged? [Re: mugwump]  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
Maybe something's gone wrong with Google Translate. Is his explanation that we're too dumb to figure it out?

S = k ln W
#4023870 - 10/17/14 09:40 PM Re: Friendly AI bugged? [Re: mugwump]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
The guy speaks by metaphors... smile

My guess:

Quote:

Q - Dear developers!

Please tell me how to make the QM (AI) bots fight?
Currently they are flatly... Some are stupid ... passive ...
This is the only serious flaw in the game IMHO.

A - For you (is) like this, for the majority of users*, they are too complex.

* Probable he refer to "95%". wink

Opera resume: the problem are not game AI, but the user. blush

#4024166 - 10/18/14 05:31 PM Re: Friendly AI bugged? [Re: mugwump]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Although "founder" I have not played much BoS, partly because I dislike his "Hollywood" visual DM. neaner

I set a QM:

4 x He 111 ACE
4 x Fw 190 ACE

2 LaGG-3 ACE (fly in one)

On the merge the He 111 broken formation and start fly like a "flock of seagull" - a really horrible sight...

Latter they resume his target direction, but not a concise formation, and don't try more avoid me attacks, I "flame" one and "smoke" another - after release their bombs the survivors start fly in circles over target area until have fuel... *

The Fw 190 merge with the other LaGG that shoot down one and then disengage to go after the He 111 - direct at his 6' o'clock and are nailed by gunners - they are dangerous only circa ~300 meters if one approach be dead 6 in level flight.

I engage the other three Fw 190. They only offer danger in head-ons - have "kamikase" tendency - but this is easy avoidable.

And if you get on his 6, they fly "flapping" wings (people say they use the same FM of player - despite my crap stick I don't fly in this way blush )and time from time they perform a kind of fun "Candelaria's Snap-Roll" - but don't shoot. smile

In resume - like the guy say in Russian forum - AI in QM (maybe AI are better in Campaign mode - that I don't have will to play the "unlock fest" before the release...) is a little more than aerial targets.

I suppose that due this "easiness" this AI is considered, be the "OMG, wonderful wing" biggrin , the "best AI" see on CFS.

I see BoS more like a new and improved version of il-2 - Wings of the Pray - that is (IMO) fun game in SP (replace the "shoot down 6 bombers in 10 minutes" by "shoot down 2 planes to get 250 XP points to unlock a fancy skin"...) but until now don't surpass this fun with this "passive" AI...

A shame, because the "sim" part of the game is really well done (FM, good cockpits, etc.).

*By curiosity I download the ("crappy") il-2 (2001) demo (uninstalled 1946 after a unsuccessful HSFX "flavor" installation attempt...), and play, in il-2, the know Smolensk ground attack (convoy, tanks, train) QM, and set some Bf 110 to cover the area (1).

Give me AI order to attack ground, what he did promptly... with the convoy little guys scattering at his approach... Ah, the "good old days". biggrin

I go after the train...then the Bf 110's arrive... I managed to damage one until ran out of ammo, this one disengaged and flew toward his base... smile

In some ways things have not improved much since 2001... nope or I became more "Sofa Virpilot"... old_simmer biggrin

(1) On similar attempt on BoS the AI Bf 109 managed to stall and spin to ground... hahaha

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.