Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4018481 - 10/05/14 09:40 PM Re: BETA 2 - [Re: komemiute]  
Cicero Offline
Cicero  Offline

Glasgow ,Scotland
It would seem that the trading in the 'core' worlds has been nerfed to a certain extent. Seems to be a lot more healthy the further out you go.

My big problem just now is trying to find a surface scanner. I 'upgraded' (not sure that word is really applicable here) to a hauler, bought a new hyperdrive to increase my range but have just travelled to a bout 10 different systems looking for the scanner with no luck. I don't know whether or not there simply isn't one for the Hauler. If that's the case I might go back to the Sidey again.

#4018534 - 10/06/14 12:02 AM Re: BETA 2 - [Re: Cicero]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted By: Cicero
It would seem that the trading in the 'core' worlds has been nerfed to a certain extent. Seems to be a lot more healthy the further out you go.

My big problem just now is trying to find a surface scanner. I 'upgraded' (not sure that word is really applicable here) to a hauler, bought a new hyperdrive to increase my range but have just travelled to a bout 10 different systems looking for the scanner with no luck. I don't know whether or not there simply isn't one for the Hauler. If that's the case I might go back to the Sidey again.

I think for now we can forget about the Detailed Surface Scanner in any other ship but the Sidewinder, that's at least what seems to be the consensus at the ED forum: 1 2

I spent the better part of the last two days exploring and looking for a DSS for my Cobra at the same time. No luck with the DSS, and exploration in a Cobra doesn't pay out. Just my last round, before I entered the system to me know were that it has one sun, a station and a planet (which was not even the planet that the station orbits around). The better part of maybe an hour later I discovered and identified the sun and 8 planets, and the station paid me 850cr. Topping of the fuel already costs me more. Similar a system earlier, 10 planets, similar amount of money.
Well, I don't expect to have been the first one in the system, or the first one that found those planets, nor do I claim that I have found all the bodies in those systems (but certainly more than most that just rely on the Discovery Scanners), but with this turnaround I can just stop "exploring".
If it wasn't for plenty USSs and bounties in the range of 150k-200k over five or six systems, the time spent "exploring" would have been rather fruitless, except for some nice visuals...

Talking about money, I had to realise that the insurance for my moderately pimped Cobra is now ~75k! Lost it in an head-on collision with a Sidewinder, together with a cargo that had about the same value - basically lost halve of my cash!

#4018550 - 10/06/14 12:33 AM Re: BETA 2 - [Re: komemiute]  
Cicero Offline
Cicero  Offline

Glasgow ,Scotland
The rewards of surveying does seem to be random. I spent an hour or two in one system earlier where I scanned 8 planets and three stars.i sold the information at the next station I docked at for 7500 cr. I've Ben elsewhere and scanned a single planet and got 2000cr and yet elsewhere where I've scanned two or three planets and got 256cr.

Well, maybe not random. Like many things in the game there seems to be little in the way of current documentation on exactly how stuff is supposed to work. I suspect you might make more if you sell that data at a more distant star system. Wild be nice to know for sure though, and would certainly be handier for bug chasing if we knew for definite which was a bug and which was WAD.

#4019246 - 10/07/14 02:51 PM Re: BETA 2 - [Re: komemiute]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

I am doing my exploration now as a "hobby" during trade runs with my new Lakon 6.
So now I am back to the Basic Discovery Scanner, but even with the Intermediate DS upgrade in my Cobra, most of my explorations had to rely on Eyeball Mark 1 and parallax scanning (looking for movement in the skybox while moving at high speed, 10-100c and sometimes above). I think that gets me most objects up to ~5000ls and maybe above, at least if the inclination of their orbits are not tilted too much compared to the other celestial bodies in the system.
Once I went for a pair of stars that were 367,000ls out; knew that I missed them (shown as "Unknown" in the System Map), but it took quite a while and a high speed to actually identify their position screwy (that was still in a Cobra, so in supercruise that makes no difference).

But the "monetary return" is not really worth the effort, especially as the game keeps crashing on me when I look for my next trade destination in the Galaxy Map, so I usually can sell my data only once, for a few hundred to maybe 3000cr; but it looks nice to have a System Map with 20 or 30 stars/planets/moons - some rather obscure things their generator comes up with.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.