Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4015649 - 09/28/14 09:44 PM SU-25T USB Control Panel  
Apache600 Offline
Apache600  Offline

Sacramento, CA
Hello Everyone,
Just posted this on the ED Forum site, but thought i'd share it here too if some of you don't check them out.
I have finally completed, and successfully tested, my prototype control panel for the SU-25T. This thing is an absolute blast to fly with! No more guessing as to what keys do what ... or if your ECM or IR Jamming is on or not. Haha
The reason I built this is two fold, 1) I am a commercial pilot (fedex feeder C-208s) and would much rather prefer an actual switch (that's labeled no less) over combinations of key strokes on the keyboard. 2) I'm an idiot and can never remember what I bound the generic switches on my HOTAS to or what all the keyboard combinations are. It really pulls away from the feeling (and is rather time consuming) when I have to look up on the cheat sheet to see what key strokes do an action

I really enjoyed building and testing this control panel, and will be taking orders from anyone who may be interested in one.
All that is needed is 2 free USB ports, SVMapper (or something similar) and a desk that has a lip to it so the two clamps can hold the panel down firmly. The "brains" of this control panel are 2 Leo Bodnar BUO836A's. This control panel houses all the keys that the SU-25T uses (except for communications and views)
As you can see in the pictures, the flat portion fits the throttle to the X-55. It also fits the Thrustmaster throttle.

Construction on these do take a bit of time, and would ask your patience if you do want one. Asking price for one of these would be in the $330 USD range (shipping not included, i'm in Sacramento, California) The price INCLUDES everything needed to plug it in and start it up (Leo Bodnars wired up and tested, and USB cables)

The plan down the road is to build a control panel for as many DCS modules as feasible. The next one i'll be starting on will be a combination F-15/Mig-29/SU-27/SU-33 panel. I believe I could do all those platforms on one panel. Then with the study sims (A-10C, Ka-50, etc.) I plan to be able to sell specific panels since their complexity is a bit more than the FC3 ones.
Further more, the reason i chose the BUO836A over the X is because of it's ability to swap them easily. If say you purchase 2 control panels from me, You can request that the Leo Bodnars be left out (i'd still make all the connections for their hook up) because that would save nearly $100 off of the second and subsequent control panels.

The under table joystick arm is also something that I could make and sell. It retracts when not in use, and can be adjusted in both height, and how far the joystick comes out from the desk. This is a very crude design and I would probably modify it a bit if anyone wanted one. The parts were purchased from a local hardware store, so "fancy" was not something i was going for ... and quite honestly, probably still wouldn't go for.
It would require you to screw in 4 screws to the bottom of your desk.

If you guys have any questions, or are interested in purchasing one, please feel free to PM me.

- Apache600

Last edited by Apache600; 09/28/14 09:48 PM. Reason: fixed pictures
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4015670 - 09/28/14 11:04 PM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
RuhRoh Offline
RuhRoh  Offline

Central Coast, CA
That is really cool! Would love to see a Mig-21 set at some point . . . and if you were not looking to make this a commercial venture, if you were to post some how-to guides it would be inspirational for the budding hobbyists who would enjoy learning to do something similar for themselves . . .

#4015720 - 09/29/14 01:25 AM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Very nice set up really cool looking and nice that you're willing to build it for fellow simmers. And hey Sacramento, here's a shout out from the Stockton area!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4015979 - 09/29/14 08:29 PM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
Skoop Offline
Skoop  Offline

Ventura, CalifornIA
A generic one would be cool that could be customized for all sims or Dcs modules. Another idea would be a sim specific control label overlay that is just a cheap template. Kinda like the old keyboard overlays for the c64 micro prose sims in the 80s. This way when you change sims or modules, you just pop in the overlay for that one you gonna use. Love the work your doing here though, a tangible button is always better to remember then "right shift - t" on a keyboard.

#4016169 - 09/30/14 04:34 AM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
Apache600 Offline
Apache600  Offline

Sacramento, CA
Mig 21 panel would be pretty cool ... especially getting the labels in English, lol. The Study Sims are definitely on the list of things to do, once I get more proficient with some of the easier platforms first.
Skoop, that's not a bad idea, but it might be difficult given that some of the buttons couldn't be switches, and vis-versa. The next control panel that i've currently got on the drawing boards is a combination F-15/Mig-29/Su-27+33. I don't want to make control panels that are tooo generic, but I think that these couple aircraft have about 90% of the commands in common.

BTW ... what's with all the CA folks posting? This is a world wide web forum, and we're all within the same stupidly liberal state

#4016323 - 09/30/14 04:56 PM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
Skoop Offline
Skoop  Offline

Ventura, CalifornIA
Sounds good, I will keep an eye on your development. The switch boxes are cool for the fc3 or il2 BOS sims because there's no clickable cockpits, so this could be a really cool addition.

#4016333 - 09/30/14 05:11 PM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Now that is what I call "immersion." biggrin

#4018414 - 10/05/14 04:34 PM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
Apache600 Offline
Apache600  Offline

Sacramento, CA
Can't believe i didn't give any close up shots, or button/switch list. So here it is!

Autopilot
A/P Engage
A/P Route Following
A/P Alt. & Roll Hold
A/P Radar Alt. Hold
A/P Attitude Hold
A/P Radar Alt. Hold
A/P Tran. Level Flt.
A/P Disconnect

Navigation
Nav. Modes (1)
Air-Air (6)
Air-Ground (7)
Gunsight (
Next Way/Land

Countermeasures
ECM
IR Jamming
CM Combined
CM Continuous
Chaff
Flare

Flight Controls
Elevator Trim Up/Down
Aileron Trim Left/Right (on rotary switch)
Rudder Trim Left/Right
Trim Reset

Sensors
Target Lock
Target Unlock
Target Designator (on mini joystick)
Target Designator Centor
Camera Zoom (on potentiometer)
Target Size / Gunpod Elevation (on potentiometer)
Electro-Opt
ELINT pod
Laser Ranger
Night Vision

Systems
Airbrake On/Off
Canopy Open/Close
Altimeter +/- (on rotary switch)
HUD color
HUD Brightness +/-
RWR Mode
RWR Volume
Audible Warning Reset
Eject
Electrical Master
Left Engine Start/Stop
Right Engine Start/Stop
Eject
Cockpit Lights
Gear Lights
Nav Lights
Flight Timer
Smoke
Mirrors
Drag Chute
Landing Gear Up/Down
Flaps Up/Combat/Landing
Parking Brake On/Off
Kneeboard
Kneeboard Page +/-
Kneeboard Position Marker
Jettison Weapon
Jettison Fuel
Fuel Dump

Weapons
Weapon Change
Cannon
Launch Override
Cut of Burst
Ripple Interval +/-
Ripple Quant.
Salvo Mode

#4025378 - 10/21/14 10:28 PM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
Apache600 Offline
Apache600  Offline

Sacramento, CA
Alright guys, here's the newest idea I've got. This panel will have ALL of the keys that each of the FC3 (SU-25T included) aircraft can use. Comm keys included (F1-F12 and also a few of the quick "Attack ground targets" and such comm commands)
I thought I would extend the panel that the throttle quadrant sat on, so that the joystick would be at the same level. Makes for much better ergonomics. I had the joystick level with my SU-25T panel's throttle, but that required a separate unit. On this one, it will be combined.
This panel will have 3 leo bodnar's in it, because it will utilize every "button" available.
Let me know what you guys think, and if anyone would be interested in it

- Apache600

#4025640 - 10/22/14 03:04 PM Re: SU-25T USB Control Panel [Re: Apache600]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Very nice, Apache!

WC

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.