Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4014350 - 09/25/14 04:37 PM Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Evidently Creative Assembly is at a convention (EGX)where they have revealed pre-alpha footage of the expansion follow up to Rome 2. I'm assuming this will be a stand alone, but will share the same start UI and menu as Rome, much like Fall of the Samurai does for Shogun 2.

Anyway, this takes the game to the 5th century after the Roman Empire had been split in to two separate empires (Eastern and Western) Since the period of Attila's rule only covers a decade, I'm guessing the game will also be back to monthly or bi-monthly turns just like FOTS. The grand campaign might also have a slightly smaller focus--much like Napoleon did to it's predecessor Empire. There was no mention of any naval aspect to the game, so I'm wondering what that will cover.

I happened to catch a viewing of single pre-alpha city battle, which for all intents looked more medieval than Roman, so it will more reflect the start of the "dark" ages.

Of course due to the poor release of Rome 2, many of the fans will claim to take a wait and see stance, but then
it's also worth pointing out that the expansions tend to correct most of the major faults that people had with the initial game.

Here's a link over at TWC

Attila confirmed

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4014373 - 09/25/14 05:16 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Meh. I would have preferred an Empire: TW 2. This stand alone expansion seems redundant since there are many horse-rider based factions from the Steppes region that you can play now in Rome TW 2.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4014509 - 09/25/14 09:46 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

A updated version of NTW would be cool
Or even a American civil war version.
I could see myself winning the War for the confederacy. LoL

#4014539 - 09/25/14 11:07 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
It seems like a logical step - take the fully patched up and polished Rome 2, change the era slightly, throw in a few more features and then release it as a standalone expansion - much like Empire->Napoleon and Shogun 2->Fall of the Samurai. I imagine this release will tide them over whilst the successor to the Warscape engine is worked on.

I think we're just about due a new installment on Medieval....... Medieval 3 in 2016?

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Pielstick; 09/25/14 11:09 PM.
#4014549 - 09/25/14 11:22 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I actually hope they break the circle and prepare something different, still a Total War game-
Just use a bit of imagination this time, ok?

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4014568 - 09/26/14 12:24 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: komemiute]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: komemiute
I actually hope they break the circle and prepare something different, still a Total War game-

Without venturing into fantasy (which I personally would have not interest in and would, in my opinion, be redundent with all the other Sci-Fi/fantasy RTS out there) there is not a whole lot different they can do.

#4014638 - 09/26/14 08:38 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
Didn't they do some sort of sci-fi game at some point - or an Australian office of theirs did? Stormrise/

#4014645 - 09/26/14 09:32 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Ugh, Gosh Now I remember that. Nah, not too good. But maybe was because it was released on consoles too.. frown
They did another one, a Viking lore based one. Not too impressive.

Well, my idea would be to explore more modern theaters.
Of course they need an adjustment in gameplay and layout. But some Vietnam Era Spec Ops teams, and Guerrilla style would be cool. You have to shift the focus from nation to Corps, from international Economics to Batallion level morale/resources mechanics, from all out warfare to "sensor" based engagements...

As a matter of fact I've got an entire documentation on how good that would work.
But that's not my business.

*Sips tea*

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4014651 - 09/26/14 10:28 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: marko1231123]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: marko1231123

US Civil War would not work for the Total War treatment since there are only 2 factions involved.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4014966 - 09/27/14 02:58 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

US Civil War would not work for the Total War treatment since there are only 2 factions involved.

Maybe a fictional scenario where foreign powers get involved? Add British Canada, Mexico some Spaniards, could be fun. Though it's probably better as a ETW/NTW mod.

Attila gets a 'meh' from me

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4015006 - 09/27/14 08:40 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: marko1231123

It could be done, make the battles as historically correct as possible.
Maps units weapons etc. there was a navel element to the civil war as well.
It wouldn't have all of the other features the other TW titles had but it would be interesting all the same.
Plus I would get to practice my southern drawl, I do declare sir. LoL

Last edited by marko1231123; 09/28/14 12:08 AM.
#4015130 - 09/27/14 04:25 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: Security_Device_Enclosed
[quote=PanzerMeyer]

Attila gets a 'meh' from me

Same, they I will hold final judgement until I see the release product.

#4015302 - 09/27/14 11:47 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Sounds good to me, but I really enjoyed Rome TW Barbarian Invasion which I think this is the modern version of.

I am definitely waiting to see how it turns out though.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4015345 - 09/28/14 02:45 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I was disappointed that Shogun 2 didn't get a Mongol invasion expansion like the original Shogun did.

#4016654 - 10/01/14 03:55 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: komemiute]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted By: komemiute

Well, it appears you may be getting your wish with Attila.

Just in case you haven't heard, Attila/the Huns will not be playable in the game, because CA is trying something different this time in that the Huns are going to represent a real and constant threat along with plague, famine, fire, and the mini-ice age that affected Europe during this period.

People have complained endlessly about the various methods that CA has tried to add a challenge to the end game. This is going be similar to the Mongol and Timurid invasion in Med 2, but on a grander scale throughout the game.

They are going with a theme of the seven seals or signs of the apocalypse out of book of Revelation in the bible. Many believed at the time that Attila was the antichrist and they correlated events during this period with the breaking of the seven seals.

Here's a link to a review video that tells a bit about it.

Personally, I think it's a great idea and might breathe some new life into the TW games.

Cheers

#4016714 - 10/01/14 12:12 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Could be good... Hopefully it will be more than just a popup window and "-2 to food production in all provinces".

I would not like a fantasy seting, but I could enjoy a TW game set in ancient Greece with a prominent role for mythology. E.g. by showing the Pillars of Hercules on the map, or by having a "hero" agent who has to do errands for the Gods or even acts of divine intervention during battles cool

In my opinion the best way to bring something new into the series would be to do away with the general/agent distinction and just have a pool of characters that you can use in any role. That way you could just assign a character to the "governor" slot for a province, or to a "diplomat" slot when needed. Also make it possible for characters to be imprisoned, incapacitated or to change their faction allegiance. It shouldn't go as far as Crusader Kings, but things like this could make the campaign more alive.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4016740 - 10/01/14 01:29 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Hard to believe that the first TW title came out 14 years ago.

#4016803 - 10/01/14 03:53 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Hard to believe that the first TW title came out 14 years ago.

Yeah, not too many franchises last that long in PC gaming--and with some of the same CA people still working on the new games.

I have so many TW disks, that I made a little wall hanging of some. I have to make room for Rome 2 now.

Cheers

#4016830 - 10/01/14 05:28 PM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Very nice arrangement FO!

What are those odd circular things though? wink

#4016985 - 10/02/14 01:01 AM Re: Stand alone expansion: Total War: Attila [Re: Forward Observer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Decorative beer coasters. biggrin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.