Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4011386 - 09/18/14 02:20 PM DCS: MiG-21 Post-Release Dev Update #1  
Cobra847 Offline
Cobra847  Offline

Hey All,

What a crazy two days its' been.
We've all put in some crazy stretches in the last few days, and yesterday we were running around with our hair on fire.
We've been working hard since we went live to wrap up pre-existing issues, as well as the new ones reported by you all.
Anything reported in our bug and problems subforum goes straight to our internal bugtracker. We will always be listening.

From the entire team; thank you for your patience as we work through all issues found, reported, and ensure you all an excellent gaming experience.
We won't be doing anything else until all issues are resolved in a satisfactory manner, at the soonest moment possible.

Priority Issues

As mentioned previously, two priority issues yesterday, were as follows:
-- Poor Performance in virtually all viewing angles and situations (additional slowdown on the ground, likely due to increased objects density)

-- FFB Sticks buzzing and inoperability.

We've solved the FFB sticks issue, and this fix will be available with the next MiG-21 update.

We've partially solved the performance issues. Perhaps more aptly: we know where the issue lies, and we have begun taking steps to mitigate it heavily.
In addition to this "main" cause, we've stripped roughly 30,000 triangles out of the cockpit yesterday, without any visual fidelity loss.
I estimate another 30,000 will be removed today. This will represent an overall reduction of ~20% cockpit geometry.
We are also looking at various ways for texture optimization and consolidation.

We've also noticed several old textures that were not properly removed from their respective directories.
This can have additional VRAM load, and will also be removed.

LoDs (Level of Detail) meshes were not constructed properly, and this will be resolved as well.
Essentially; the sim grounds to a halt because even the most distant LoD is incorrectly exported as a high resolution mesh.

Liveries

The published livery list on SimHQ will be made available soon. Most likely, this will be done via a separate installer, prior to the first "big" patch. I'll keep you updated on this.
This pack contains 10-15 liveries, including countries such as Cuba, Egypt, Poland, India, Bulgaria, East Germany and more. In the future,
these liveries will ship with the main MiG-21 installer.

Backers

Apologies to all backers that had to wait for their keys yesterday. We were taken aback by the early release of the module, and thus had to scramble to send them out to everyone.
In the end, it was 12 hours of nonstop excel sheet filling, e-mail sending bonanza -- but hopefully most, if not all, of you should have your first key.

Those of you who are entitled to more than one key, will receive them ASAP. We'll be working through the list again and generating a new batch of keys for everyone that is entitled to a second one.
If you require one urgently (e.g. to fly with a friend), please feel free to e-mail me at nicholas .dackard (at) gmail . com. (no spaces).

If we've totally missed any of you (as we did already yesterday) -- please email me at the address above as well, and we'll sort you out.

I think that is mostly all for now.
Time to jump back into 3DS Max to continue improving performance and rolling in fixes for the next update(s).

We don't currently have an exact timeframe for the next hotfix/update, but we will try to make it as short as possible.
Apologies for all caused inconvenience.

Thanks,
Nick & Leatherneck Simulations

Director | Art Director

Heatblur Simulations
#4011393 - 09/18/14 02:53 PM Re: DCS: MiG-21 Post-Release Dev Update #1 [Re: Cobra847]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Nick, thanks for everything you guys have been doing so far, and continue to do. And if you're ever in the Raleigh area, you've got a beer waiting for you.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4011704 - 09/19/14 05:27 AM Re: DCS: MiG-21 Post-Release Dev Update #1 [Re: Cobra847]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
Looks great!

Any way you guys can add more shine effects to the external canopy and windshield (sort of like the other DCS aircraft)? It almost looks like there's no texture/shine to it.

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G
#4011716 - 09/19/14 06:40 AM Re: DCS: MiG-21 Post-Release Dev Update #1 [Re: Cobra847]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
Thanks for the Update Cobra. I ended up picking the Mig despite what I said in the other thread, because I was so impressed by your attitude, that I thought you guys deserved all the suport you can get.
It's very good to know you want to fix all the issues before moving to the next project. I hope you can get it done very quickly, not only because of us the users. But because I understand that to be economicaly viable, you soon will have to move on. I know you had hopped to have had the Mig published much soner but you it was a longer road than expected and that was a finantial strain. So I sincerely hope your getting tons of purchasses right now to keep you guys going strong.
Also eagerly wainting for your next project. I know it will be something cool.

P.S. Don't comment on this, it's better, but I think ED could learn a lot with you guys about costumer relation and suport.

Last edited by SAPPER; 09/19/14 06:40 AM.
#4011775 - 09/19/14 01:12 PM Re: DCS: MiG-21 Post-Release Dev Update #1 [Re: Cobra847]  
Dobby Offline
Dobby  Offline

Switzerland
So the FFB rattle is a bug? I was honestly under the impression that it was to simulate some sort of annoying vibration present in the real thing... ) but yeah, I turned FFB off for the time being.

Da lagen wir im grossen Krieg der Räuber,
Und drüben lagen die gleichen dreckigen Leiber,
Arbeiter wie wir, da haben wir gedacht,
Das ist nicht unser Krieg, nicht unsre Schlacht

Moderated by  Force10, Rudel 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.