Hop To
#4008704 - 09/12/14 12:20 PM Rome 2 Factions  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
So which factions have you played as in the campaigns? Which factions did you like/dislike?

Me,

Rome - My absolute favorite. Roma Invicta!
Suebi - Enjoyed a lot.
Egypt - Enjoyed a lot.
Iceni - Kinda boring and it was a #%&*$# to break out and expand.
Pontus - Enjoyed a lot.
Carthage - Campaign was difficult to win but fun.
Seleucid (currently playing this one) - Difficult campaign but I like the challenge.
Macedon - Enjoyed a lot.
Sparta - Enjoyed a lot.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4010719 - 09/16/14 11:12 PM Re: Rome 2 Factions [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I only played as Rome so far but I'm taking a break while I explore Skyrim some more. However, I shall return!

I think I will wait for that "Emperor's Edition" before I start back up again. It looks like it will change things quite a bit. Still, I will likely stick to Rome as my faction. If by some miracle I start kicking a$$ and conquer the known world as Rome, I might try another faction. But most likely I will keep getting my own faction-a$$ handed to me as Rome and have to restart again! biggrin

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4010944 - 09/17/14 02:31 PM Re: Rome 2 Factions [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I guess I'm a creature of habit, since I tend to always play as Rome. Probably because their infantry is just kick ass OP and let's face it, they pretty much were the winners during the time frame of the game.

I did start an Arverni campaign once, but when I took Rome, it just made no sense to tear down a stone and concrete city to make way for thatched roof huts and wooden palisades.

I stopped playing for a long time and only resumed again after patch 14. I liked the improvements enough that I sprang for the Caesar and Hannibal mini-campaigns. Consequently, I've been playing a Roman campaign in the Caesar in Gaul game. I's been quite challenging. I had to notch the difficulty down to normal after giving up on two hard campaigns. The issue has been income. The resources are so scarce that one never can
build up a treasury to build or support a bunch of kick ass legions. One is forced to make do with a lot of
levy and lesser auxiliaries.

One nice feature is that since it only covers a span of 4 or 5 years, your turns are every two weeks. Consequently, you can get familiar with your characters and really get a chance to level them up because unless they get killed they will last for the entire campaign. Fortunately the new Emperor update did not change the building chain for Caesar, so I can finish it.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4010949 - 09/17/14 02:45 PM Re: Rome 2 Factions [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Biff99 Offline
Bullet Magnet
Biff99  Offline
Bullet Magnet

Ohio
I have only played as Rome so far and I have yet to finish the campaign. It honestly was too easy I thought. I think I only lost one battle. I stopped playing it due to boredom and summer came along so my gaming usually is reduced anyway.

Last night I saw that Rome had a huge update so I did some reading on it and decided to give the grand campaign another go, this time as Iceni. A couple turns in I tried to take the town to the north and was soundly beaten. I think I lost due to a combination of not playing the game for a few months and being used to my Romans soldiers steam-rolling everything in their path.

So, I decided to start the Iceni campaign over again. This time I was a bit smarter and didn't attack right away smile I built up my army a bit and also sent in my scout to poison the garrison, this time I was heading to the west first since they have gold. I was about to declare war when my neighbor to the south declared war on me. Well, that threw a wrench in my plans. I re-routed my army and scout down there and besieged their town. One turn later they paid me for peace. I then headed back to the west and now they have 2 armies...

That's about as far as I got last night but so far I am enjoying it more than the Roman campaign. I'm not sure how much of the difference is due to the patch and how much is just the different culture but is definitely more challenging.

"My doctor says I wouldn't get so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there." - Ralph Wiggum
#4010982 - 09/17/14 04:16 PM Re: Rome 2 Factions [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
The Iceni start off with only one settlement so their income is very limited and they are also surrounded by factions that build up quickly. When I played as the Iceni in a coop campaign all I managed to take was half of Britain and about half of what is modern day France and Belgium. The barbarian units really do suck compared to the Roman units at the lower and mid levels. The high level units though like the noble swordsmen and the Suebi berserkers and Bloodsworn infantry are kick ass though and can fight toe to toe with Roman legionaries and principes.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.