Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4010241 - 09/15/14 08:36 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Just saying that a lack of deadlines with no financial consequences means that the developer won't have a sense of urgency in getting things done.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4010270 - 09/15/14 09:34 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
True. Many of those devs consider themselves artists. Waiting for an artist to really believe a piece of work is "done" is a waste of time. Even more so with a group of them working on a project.
Deadlines are part of business and projects. Learn to work with it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4010303 - 09/15/14 10:57 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Just saying that a lack of deadlines with no financial consequences means that the developer won't have a sense of urgency in getting things done.

But you must realize this is not an universal truth.
What work for me doesn't for you and vice versa.

The real problem, the way I see it, is incapacity.

Incapable Producers that pushes a strong team just to "make the Christmas Season".
Incapable Program Team spending too much time posting details and delusion of grandeur.
Impossible margins to be done with a movie licenced game "Just because the movei sold so well".

Game development history is dotted, nay- it's a cemetery full of headstones that should bear the mark of shame to those REALLY responsible for sinking a good project.
You can't just sum it up on "You need a producer".

Nope- just nope.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4010425 - 09/16/14 12:43 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Incompetence is the epidemic of the 21st century.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4010452 - 09/16/14 01:33 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
True. Many of those devs consider themselves artists. Waiting for an artist to really believe a piece of work is "done" is a waste of time. Even more so with a group of them working on a project.
I can't remember the director but he has a famous saying that goes "A film is never completed. It is torn away from you at the designated time".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4010495 - 09/16/14 02:49 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
speedbump Offline
Hotshot
speedbump  Offline
Hotshot

Edgewood TX
Greed. It's what made this country what it is.

I suspect the rubes that are dumb enough to shell out the money to play this game will be sorry in the end and

Chris Roberts will be laughing at them for being so naive.

I was very interested in this game when they announced it but could see early on how it could turn into a money

pit and now it has metamorphosed into a laughable joke when you see the way they have priced it.

I guess the developers were surprised at how gullible people are and are going to ride the horse into the ground.

The ones that have invested a lot of money in the game will be insulted by my observation and that's OK.

#4010511 - 09/16/14 03:26 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: speedbump]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: speedbump
and now it has metamorphosed into a laughable joke when you see the way they have priced it.

You mean the 35-45 dollars it costs to buy into the beta and get a copy of the full game on release?

#4010516 - 09/16/14 03:37 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Master]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Originally Posted By: Master
Originally Posted By: speedbump
and now it has metamorphosed into a laughable joke when you see the way they have priced it.

You mean the 35-45 dollars it costs to buy into the beta and get a copy of the full game on release?

Maybe you will even get the game for free, but you WILL have to pay for your (virtual) spacecraft, to use this game. As i said, seems some cost 350 to 450 Dollars.

#4010525 - 09/16/14 03:50 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

:/ You only need to buy the game with starter ship (35-45 depending on when you registered your account) everything else is just extra and it is priced high to prevent everyone from buying everything before the game is even out.

Slagging a game because they are selling high priced addon items that are 100% optional seems stupid. My RoF account is worth over 200 bucks and I bought most of my stuff on sale. I have a few FSX planes that are worth that much by themselves... SBPro costs how much? Or the military version of Arma? and the difference here is that you DONT need to buy the expensive stuff with real money in SC because you can earn it all in game once the game goes live (in 1 1/2-2 years) Until then if you want to play with specific ships in the beta you do have to buy them but you can just as easily play the beta without buying the extra ships.

I just dont see the point in all the hate for a game that isnt out and sure doesnt force you to buy any of the expensive ships. They just offer them.

Last edited by Master; 09/16/14 03:54 PM.
#4010564 - 09/16/14 05:14 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Master]  
Flogger23m Online smile
Flogger23m  Online Smile

US
Originally Posted By: Master
:/ You only need to buy the game with starter ship (35-45 depending on when you registered your account) everything else is just extra and it is priced high to prevent everyone from buying everything before the game is even out.

Slagging a game because they are selling high priced addon items that are 100% optional seems stupid. My RoF account is worth over 200 bucks and I bought most of my stuff on sale. I have a few FSX planes that are worth that much by themselves... SBPro costs how much? Or the military version of Arma? and the difference here is that you DONT need to buy the expensive stuff with real money in SC because you can earn it all in game once the game goes live (in 1 1/2-2 years) Until then if you want to play with specific ships in the beta you do have to buy them but you can just as easily play the beta without buying the extra ships.

I just dont see the point in all the hate for a game that isnt out and sure doesnt force you to buy any of the expensive ships. They just offer them.

From what I understand it will essentially be impossible to get all ships in game (unless someone lends you theirs via squadron hangars). First is the time. I believe I read it would take 60-100 hours of in game activity for a fighter type ship. Obviously it will take longer for larger ships. Then keep in cost all the fees you must pay, including hangar fees. The more ships you get the bigger hangar you must buy.

And I am sure in those 60-100 hours you will loose your ship multiple times, which means more credits spent repairing them.

I don't care how many things you can do in the game, but after 250 or so hours everything is bound to become repetitive.

#4010575 - 09/16/14 05:36 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Flogger23m]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Flogger23m

From what I understand it will essentially be impossible to get all ships in game (unless someone lends you theirs via squadron hangars). First is the time. I believe I read it would take 60-100 hours of in game activity for a fighter type ship. Obviously it will take longer for larger ships. Then keep in cost all the fees you must pay, including hangar fees. The more ships you get the bigger hangar you must buy.

And I am sure in those 60-100 hours you will loose your ship multiple times, which means more credits spent repairing them.

I don't care how many things you can do in the game, but after 250 or so hours everything is bound to become repetitive.

the 60 to 100 hours is pure speculation from the forums, Ben Lesnick once said it would take around 60 hours to earn a Constellation which is a 4 place largish multi crewed freighter ala Millenium Falcon, which at the moment they are offering from between $150 to $275. Recently they have stated that they have not decided how long it will take to earn a ship in game, that will be decided during balancing of play.

Your insurance fees should take care of the replacement hull for you.
There will also be a private server mode where you can basically roll your own and fly any ship and fly with friends, but it won't have the full features of the persistant universe.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4010582 - 09/16/14 05:44 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

It will be just like every other one of these space trader / fighter games. You start off with almost nothing and the first few ships take forever but after you get a big cargo ship and some time to figure out the game you amass a fortune and can buy anything you like. The 60 hours per ship does not take into effect the increase in money you receive for larger ships. This is ONE of the reasons they priced those ships so big and why people are willing to pay for those big ships. If you start with a large cargo ship it sure wont take you the same 60 hours it would take someone who started with the starter ship.

Last edited by Master; 09/16/14 05:44 PM.
#4010593 - 09/16/14 06:14 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
The problem from where I'm standing is that I clearly remember what happened with Freelancer, which I was psyched for (and to be fair, turned out decent once Roberts was gone), and despite having gone well beyond meeting their goal, they're still going out of their way to ask for yet more and more money. It's gone way beyond people shelling out hundreds of dollars to ensure a game they really want to get made gets made (which isn't unreasonable), and now is something totally other. I don't know what, exactly, but there is definitely an apparent conflict of interest in that RSI seems to stand to make more money the longer they prolong development.

I bought in for the minimum. I like Roberts' dream, and I'd love to see him deliver, but I don't even really know what that dream is exactly anymore because there's no solid information yet about the planned game mechanics beyond just a laundry list of features and a vague concept. What they've actually delivered so far after two years is pretty crap, too.

#4010642 - 09/16/14 07:27 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I'm with Master here, 100%.
There's been a lot of speculation without objective information.

The same bashing could go for Elite, and yes some ships take a long time to buy.

But that's hardly a chore. It's gameplay
It was stated already that ships will go off sale forever once the game launches.

It will be all in game credits, with the option of buying some limited amount of credits for real money. Hardly a scam, as countless games held in high respect are doing this as we speak.

What about those late-adopter gamers?
There's going to be an element of Gameplay to suppprt all of this. It's still Chris Roberts we're talking about.

I kjow it's cool to beat the nerdy guy, but some of these posts are nearly nonsensical.

Just my opinion.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4010765 - 09/17/14 01:15 AM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

I'm in for $35 and am happy to back the game at that level. But yeah, these guys spending $500+ are suckers IMO.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#4010770 - 09/17/14 01:35 AM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
WarthogSmurf Offline
WarthogSmurf  Offline

They havent lost it. They just see more and more backers trusting them to make a real PC game with detail you drool over.

Besides a good hobby is expensive and i dont mind spending a few bucks. i already had more fun with keeping track of the game , the countless of discussion with my mates about really something that doesnt exsist. And the sleepness nights when the connie varaints where here.

P.S before i am branded a fanboy ..yes I am ...and yes sometimes i have concerns here and there ...but i counted my money as thrown away (pus i bought lot of merchandises whihc arrived everytime). For now I am enjoying the ride that the all mighty mister Roberts gives me :-)

#4010892 - 09/17/14 12:34 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If the game was out and running, like WoW, I wouldn't view it with the same regard. Spending hundreds of dollars on a game that exists that you've been playing for years (like DCS or ROF) is far different than throwing it at a game that is currently just a shell of what was promised and is still supposedly years away from final release.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4012110 - 09/20/14 03:52 AM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Farcaster Offline
Farcaster  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Wow, I have to say this is a LOT of negativity for a game that's pre-alpha and asks as little as $45 to experience.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron. Or else He's the dumbest designer that ever lived."
- Spider Robinson, Mindkiller
#4012213 - 09/20/14 02:43 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: komemiute]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: komemiute
Naah. I actually can't believe that the father of Wing Commander IL-2 and Strike Commander IL-2: 1946 is going to make something less than great.

In its own way, probably, but this Cliffs of Dover is going to be great.

Fixed it for you.

Been there, done that, only lost around forty bucks thinking like that.

Past performance is no guarantee of future success.

[edit]

Then again, I'm into Battle of Stalingrad for a hundred bucks, so maybe I should just hush.

Last edited by Dart; 09/20/14 02:53 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4012222 - 09/20/14 03:21 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Unrelated, Dart.
Development of Cliffs of Dover isn't comparable in any way with Star Citizen one's.

It's true that a name isn't a guarantee per s, but as of now I think there's hardly ground for worries.

Each and everyone of Chris Roberts project ran long. They all sell.

I think this is closer to Strike Commander development.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.