Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4010054 - 09/15/14 03:24 PM DCS Huey is a blast!  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
During the last Autumn Sale I was undecided between purchasing DCS:A-10C or DCS:Huey and while the later was actually more expensive I must say that I'm glad that I decided to purchase DCS:Huey because DCS:Huey is not only great but IMO the best DCS module (previously my favourite was BS2) so far.
I admit that I'm more a "rotorhead" than a fixed-wing flight simmer which certainly weighted on my decision.

But what's great in DCS:Huey even when comparing with other helicopter sims or DCS:BS2 is that Huey isn't a "simple" gunship like an Apache or a KA-50. IMO, it's just as great and fun to pick up and drop off people (troops for example) as it is to shoot and destroy something. But of course shooting stuff with the Huey is also extremely fun, specially when using door mounted Miniguns (or even the frontal mounted ones), which are IMO the best Miniguns ever modeled in a combat flight sim.
Speaking of door mounted Miniguns, can or could I request if someone makes a Canadian CH-146 Griffon (with door mounted Miniguns and/or GAU-21 .50 MGs)? Is there any place where I could ask/suggest a thing like this? IMO the CH-146 Griffon wouldn't be that much different from the current UH-1H Huey: The cockpit and cabin layout are very similar (albeit some instruments are different), the door mounted Miniguns already exists and so on. Of course a FLIR should be added while the frontal mounted weapons (Miniguns and Rocket) should be removed. Anyway, a Canadian skinned UH-1H (which already exists in DCS:Huey) will suffice for quite some time smile

Well, I just want to give my feedback regarding DCS:Huey and for once I enjoy having a helicopter in a combat flight sim which isn't a "pure" gunship.

I also read that the DCS:Huey campaign is great albeit I still haven't try it yet.

#4010160 - 09/15/14 06:27 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
fafnir_6 Offline
fafnir_6  Offline

Edmonton, AB
Hello,

The UH-1H IS pretty awesome smile. I think you may be mistaken about the ease of making a CH-146, however. The Griffon is based on the TWIN-huey. The cockpit architecture is noticeably different (different window shapes and such and, more importantly, the controls are for two engines, not one). Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see a Griffon or a UH-1N; but I suspect there wouldn't be much that would carry over.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

#4010200 - 09/15/14 07:27 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Hi fafnir_6,

Yes, I admit that I was oversimplifying about the ease of making a Griffon from the UH-1H.
However I still believe that many great things already modeled for the UH-1H which could be "directly" ported to a Griffon: Stuff like door mounted machine guns such as the Minigun, crew management menu, crew arrangement (2 pilots and 2 gunners seated on the same place), the "auto-pilot" menu/features, the flight and damage models in general and did I mentioned the MINIGUNS already?? biggrin

I also could be wrong, but wouldn't it be easier to modify the existing UH-1H 3D model (to make a CH-146) than making one from scratch?

#4010225 - 09/15/14 08:02 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

BST have said quite a while back that they aren't considering any further additions in terms of weaponry of such to the Huey. The only thing left IIRC is winch and multiplayer crew.

#4010234 - 09/15/14 08:26 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I deeply agree with OP.
I got the Huey some time ago and is a revealing experience.

Way to go Belsimtek. I'm waiting for your next products! thumbsup

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4010301 - 09/15/14 10:53 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: scrim]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: scrim
BST have said quite a while back that they aren't considering any further additions in terms of weaponry of such to the Huey. The only thing left IIRC is winch and multiplayer crew.

Don't get me wrong but I hope you end up being wrong (about BST not wanting to develop upon the existing UH-1H) wink

This module is really awesome and it's definitely my favourite DCS module!
Just ended the stock mission where the player needs to rescue a downed A-10 pilot: What an awesome experience, approaching the extract zone with both my door gunners firing and suppressing the enemy and getting out with the enemy firing at me while both my gunners kept firing back. Very "Vietnam" feeling to it, awesome!

This is exactly what I've been waiting for quite some time in a Helicopter Combat Sim.

#4010305 - 09/15/14 11:06 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

If you have any suggestions you could mention them on the ED forums:

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=263

Belsimtek are the guys who made the UH1 for DCS.

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
#4010446 - 09/16/14 01:22 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Thanks for link SUBS.

#4010454 - 09/16/14 01:40 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Be careful ric, it could be interpreted as complaints and you'll go instant ban.

#4010517 - 09/16/14 03:40 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Well, I guess I will take my chances.

#4010818 - 09/17/14 04:08 AM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
I also read that the DCS:Huey campaign is great albeit I still haven't try it yet.

It's excellent. Very creative, varied and inventive. I thoroughly enjoyed playing through it.

---------
Pizzicato
#4011178 - 09/18/14 12:09 AM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
That's very good news indeed.
I just need finish my DCS Huey profile for my HOTAS (Thrustmaster Cougar) in order to start the Huey campaign.

#4011248 - 09/18/14 03:32 AM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
Pizzicato Offline
Asleep at the Wheel
Pizzicato  Offline
Asleep at the Wheel

Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
That's very good news indeed.
I just need finish my DCS Huey profile for my HOTAS (Thrustmaster Cougar) in order to start the Huey campaign.

The only possible downside (dependent on what's important to you) is that some of the missions are LONG. There are a couple that I remember being 90 min+ epics. I was fine with that, but I know some people found it a bit frustrating/excessive.

---------
Pizzicato
#4011312 - 09/18/14 09:32 AM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
90min+ is definitely long for me, specially considering the time that I have for gaming which isn't that much, unfortunately.
Well, I have to keep those Time Advanced keys in my mind wink

Thanks for the feedback.

#4011893 - 09/19/14 05:45 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: Pizzicato]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Pizzicato

The only possible downside (dependent on what's important to you) is that some of the missions are LONG. There are a couple that I remember being 90 min+ epics. I was fine with that, but I know some people found it a bit frustrating/excessive.

Well, started the campaign and the first 3 missions were great and everything went well.

Now I'm in the 4th mission (Race against time) and while this mission is generally great or great looking there's an issue which personally I don't like (and so far the first and only thing that I don't like in DCS:Huey):
- After picking up the wounded the co-pilot indicates an ADF frequency to home on the an another base where the wounded must be delivered but the problem is that there's an another ADF frequency which operates very near the base's frequency and which of course point to a different direction. As soon as the player sets the ADF to this different frequency which almost always happen since this frequency is lower and therefore tuned first than the correct one, the co-pilot says that you tuned the right frequency! boom

I'm not entirely against the situation described above but what I don't like is that there isn't any other indication on the position of the base, being it either a mark on the map (Kneepad map or 'F10' map) and/or an audio/voice indication from the co-pilot, like for example: "The Base is located Eastward from the canyon's exit, use ADF xxx frequency for a more precise navigation" (or other more realistic "parlance" but with the same content).

The situation above in this 4th mission seems IMO to be a "gamey" decision one in order to "force" the player to fail this mission at the first or even more attempts! This is the kind of situation that we commonly see in "arcadish" FPS games and which I honestly hate to have in any realistic game such as a simulator!
I just hope that the Huey campaign doesn't have more situations like this...

EDIT: Just ended this 4th mission and if it wasn't for the issue mentioned above, this mission would IMO be great - Rushing at maximum possible speed at low altitude in the UH-1H really rocks! biggrin

Last edited by ricnunes; 09/19/14 10:20 PM.
#4012629 - 09/21/14 05:41 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I have flown the Huey campaign missions more times than I can count. I totally agree that dropping off troops or picking up wounded is deeply satisfying. Imagine when edge and the new infantry animations come along .. magic.

There was a bug in one of the mission which really made things difficult and frustrating. I was trying to trigger something to get my flight to proceed but without success. I was firing at my own side, trying to fly close to push them along but nothing worked. The bug was fixed in a later update but I must have flown the mission over 10 times. Apart from bugs I find there are a lot of situations where I follow the wrong helicopters and fail or do something else stupid. I think the allowed separation distance from your flight has been increased since the release though.

Now I'm just waiting for the south vietnam map, the AH-1G, the B-model Huey gunship and the dynamic helicopter campaigns ARA -65, Pink teams -72, Air america -69.

-C-

#4014484 - 09/25/14 09:02 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
So far I'm enjoying the DCS:Huey campaign very much, despite being a static campaign! IMO, what contributes for this is the following:
-> Since this campaign is played with the Huey, a helicopter which isn't a "pure" gunship (such as the Ka-50 for example) and as such it this campaign has missions which not only involves "gunship" type missions but also transport and assault missions which again are IMO so great to have in a Combat Helo sim.
-> I love to fly the Huey, its flight model and dynamics are so great that even piloting/controlling it in long duration flights isn't a boring task like happen IMO with many other aircraft in these same situations.
-> Generally well made missions, with some great voices/dialogs acting and with some intensive and even "action-packed" moments.

Therefore I already had some epic moments in some missions in this campaign, such as being shot up by hidden enemy infantry, flying a very shot up helicopter and having for example one of my gunners killed!

On the negative side (regarding this campaign) I must point out mission 6 and also (to a lesser extend) mission 7 (if I'm not mistaken).
The problem with those 2 missions is that while flying your fully loaded helicopter you must always follow a leader which should be just as fully loaded but sometimes perform quite erratic flight maneuvers, such as flying low and at high speeds such as 110+ knots but suddenly without any need it slows "instantaneously" to something like 70 knots or even less while increasing altitude at an amazing rate which is extremely hard for the player to follow. Actually in some cases if you try to do exactly what the AI leader does, the end result is a broken/detached main rotor!
This proves that the AI isn't subject to the same airframe stress/damage or even physics that the player airframe is subjected to. IMO, this isn't a problem but any DCS mission should reflect this situation!

#4014696 - 09/26/14 02:10 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Yup, the Huey campaign is fun.

A couple of the missions puzzle me a little, though, for being artificially contrived to force a narrative:

During the rescue mission, why do I have to fly up to a checkpoint, land, and have "Pedro" physically ask the guards if they have seen the lost chopper? He just could have someone back on base call the checkpoint ahead of me having to fly there. And even if we really had to fly up there, why not talk to them on the radio, as he does with every other checkpoint?

Also the Medevac mission: why couldn't that fully equipped Medevac-Blackhawk not fly all the way to get the casualty? It can fly almost 100 mph faster. If they want me to do something, why not have me pick up the casualty and fly him back to base, where an air ambulance jet (flown by Beach? wink ) already awaits him to fly him to wherever he needs to go?

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4014867 - 09/26/14 08:56 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I think the first one is pretty obvious. They did not want to give the enemy any details about what they were looking for. It might also be that the guards where not yet qualified on ground to air communications and thus not allowed to talk to the helicopter. They might also be on a different frequency, or the guy manning the radio was on his lunch break.

In the rescue mission the Medevac-Blackhawk was assigned to another area and it was not allowed to fly into the Spanish AO due to UN agreements. smile

I like that my door gunners suffer from the Judge Dread syndrome. Clear them to fire and they spot the bad guys and give them their sentence in no time at all. Not very UN but quite effective. Pedro is still yapping away about "taking a closer look" while those guys hose down whatever like it's a day at the range.

-C-

#4017767 - 10/03/14 10:38 PM Re: DCS Huey is a blast! [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
I just ended the Huey campaign! This was actually the 2nd DCS World campaign that I ever ended in DCS World (the 1st one was the SU-25T campaign). In overall, a very good campaign specially considering that it's a static campaign.

The only thing that I didn't like were a issue in the 6th and 7th missions which I already mentioned here before and I also didn't like the "invincible" units that spawns in the 14th (a truck with a 23mm AA gun which can only be destroyed by friendly LAVs) and 15th mission (2 enemy soldiers). I believe that there's not need and neither there's a place for such invincible units in any realistic combat simulation!
Save for these examples, the rest of the campaign was indeed great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.