Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4009749 - 09/14/14 06:27 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Capt_Hook]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted By: Capt_Hook
..first jet sim was Strike Commander on my hideously expensive 486-66..

Oh I happily remember those days, chasing a MiG21 flying using keyboard.
Dogfighting.
Using keyboard.
Jeez.
So immersed in the storyline too.
Good days.

To not run totally off topic I'd say I'm all with toonces on this.

Edit: just look! smile http://www.old-games.com/download/4437/strike-commander

Last edited by theOden; 09/14/14 06:31 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4009750 - 09/14/14 06:28 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
streakeagle Offline
streakeagle  Offline

Seffner, FL USA
Quote:
After feeling the incredible, liquidy perfection of the PFM of these planes, it's hard to go back to BoS or anything else.

What I want more than anything is the most realistic flight model possible while also retaining the ability to have single or multi player air-to-air combat. DCS, more than any sim I have ever flown, is approaching what I have always wanted. It is just a matter of building up the plane set to have the huge library I loved so much in Jane's Fighters Anthology and the SFP1/SF2 series. Historical dueling pairs such as the P-51D/Fw190D9 and F-86F/MiG-15bis are a great way to go given the slow rate of DCS development. Now where is my all-time favorite F-4E to fight the MiG-21bis?

forum: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
discussion: an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic
censorship: practice of suppressing a text or part of a text that is considered objectionable
#4009996 - 09/15/14 01:11 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: theOden]  
apelles Offline
apelles  Offline

Hungary, Székesfehérvár
Originally Posted By: theOden
Originally Posted By: Capt_Hook
..first jet sim was Strike Commander on my hideously expensive 486-66..

Oh I happily remember those days, chasing a MiG21 flying using keyboard.
Dogfighting.
Using keyboard.
Edit: just look! smile http://www.old-games.com/download/4437/strike-commander

I play this game dead while everyone around me playing with quake 1. :-)

Thanks for the link. I found a bunch of sweet simulator memories. (Atac, 1942 PAW, Aegis, Tornado, Dogfight, ) :-)
OH my god... What a sim paradise.

#4009997 - 09/15/14 01:12 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: streakeagle]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
Originally Posted By: streakeagle
Quote:
After feeling the incredible, liquidy perfection of the PFM of these planes, it's hard to go back to BoS or anything else.

What I want more than anything is the most realistic flight model possible while also retaining the ability to have single or multi player air-to-air combat. DCS, more than any sim I have ever flown, is approaching what I have always wanted. It is just a matter of building up the plane set to have the huge library I loved so much in Jane's Fighters Anthology and the SFP1/SF2 series. Historical dueling pairs such as the P-51D/Fw190D9 and F-86F/MiG-15bis are a great way to go given the slow rate of DCS development. Now where is my all-time favorite F-4E to fight the MiG-21bis?

Agreed, I am really hoping that the multicrew feature leads to an F-4E. Even if it means that my back-seater is AI like in the Huey. Maybe an ROI menu like in the Huey as well.

Of course I would have no problem joining another player in the back seat of their aircraft in multiplayer. It was so much fun in Arma 2, less so in Arma 3 but still worthwhile.

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
#4010003 - 09/15/14 01:44 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: apelles]  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
[quote=apelles... I found a bunch of sweet simulator memories. (Atac, 1942 PAW, Aegis, Tornado, Dogfight, ) :-)
OH my god... What a sim paradise. [/quote]
Including ED's Su-27 Flanker which introduced me to Russian aircraft and got me very involved in their sim world. Not that I actually need the link for it...I still have the CD.

Last edited by RSoro01; 09/15/14 01:45 PM.
#4010011 - 09/15/14 02:04 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: RSoro01]  
apelles Offline
apelles  Offline

Hungary, Székesfehérvár
Originally Posted By: RSoro01
[/quote
Including ED's Su-27 Flanker which introduced me to Russian aircraft and got me very involved in their sim world. Not that I actually need the link for it...I still have the CD.

For me the Fleet Defender is the ultramaxf******sim. :-) I live in the eastern block, then I fly an US Navy bird. :-) Thats a big big pleasure. :-)

But i see the link in below for ironhand site. Do you make new videos for DCS planes. I learn corner speed concept, and air to ground tactics from Ironhand videos. I like it.

Last edited by apelles; 09/15/14 02:04 PM.
#4010056 - 09/15/14 03:28 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Alwyas wanted a A-G radar for DCS. Air to air is fun for a while, but A-G gives so many ways of finding the enemy and killing him that is where the real fun begins. If we add a working FLIR I will be in heaven, but In top of that add carrier ops, and I know what I will be flying around for a long while. Just can't wait.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4010063 - 09/15/14 03:33 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: apelles]  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted By: apelles
Originally Posted By: RSoro01
Including ED's Su-27 Flanker which introduced me to Russian aircraft and got me very involved in their sim world. Not that I actually need the link for it...I still have the CD. [/quote

For me the Fleet Defender is the ultramaxf******sim. :-) I live in the eastern block, then I fly an US Navy bird. :-) Thats a big big pleasure. :-)

But i see the link in below for ironhand site. Do you make new videos for DCS planes. I learn corner speed concept, and air to ground tactics from Ironhand videos. I like it.

Fleet Defender was one of the first military flight sims to really grab my attention. smile

No new videos, I'm afraid. Each of those tutorials for 1.x took about 30+ man hours to make. I just don't have that kind of time anymore. Plus there is aready so much out there on YouTube, etc for DCS that anything I did would be redundant. The little sim time I have these days isn't enough to maintain proficiency in any of the airframes, anyway.

Last edited by RSoro01; 09/15/14 03:34 PM.
#4010082 - 09/15/14 04:19 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yes, I think the limited resources needed to make a sim that is also a good game is the reason it falls short.

DCS started life as a contracted simulator that was then adapted for game use. That adaptation didn't have the amount of resources it needed to be like Jane's the Next Generation.

DCS, like most other flight sims now, is stuck in a vicious downward spiral. The ones still buying are demanding ever more realism, alienating the casual users, who buy less, and get less say as a result. The majority audience is inexorably slipping towards the "nothing less than A-10C!" crowd which, they do not want to realize, is incapable of supporting the sim themselves unless they want to spend $150+ per module.

The hardcore audience has shrunk but at a far slower pace than that of the entire audience. So while they used to make up say 1/4 of it, maybe now they're 1/2 or more? Not because there are more of them, but just so many less of the rest.

So instead of say 250,000 out of a million simmers being the hifi devotees, we've now got 200,000 out of 400,000. Yet the products are appealing to that 200,000 and ignoring the other 200,000 when in the past it would appeal to the 750,000 and less to the 250k. This is causing that total size to shrink ever more.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years the total market is 200,000 of which 150,000 are the hardcore and a piddling 50,000 casual...and the products will stop because that won't support development.

You know why we don't get an FC A-10C implementation of a plane alongside the DCS A-10C? Because it took so much to make the DCS one as it is, no one wants to make the FC one. Yeah, a sale means you can later buy the DCS one for an FC price, but money isn't really the object. As Pfunk pointed out, all the time is spent on the top end. At the simplified level little attention is paid, and it becomes a real turn off if you do NOT want to use the TGP for everything and program in wind speeds and such.

Bottom line you can't fly the A-10C like the A-10A with LGBs. Why is it wrong to want that?
The casual fliers say "I don't care how hardcore you want it, go ahead, just let me fly my way" and the hardcore say "NO! It must be as REAL as possible, and no one should want less!"?? confused

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4010104 - 09/15/14 04:45 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
ED could always include a "simplified avionics" version (I specifically do not mean an "arcade" version) for those who don't want to learn all the systems up front. Maybe even with a couple steps in between, where you can add "realism" step by step by switching on features via the options menu.

Would ease new players into the module by giving them a chance to simply jump in an blow stuff up, who might get increasingly curious about the systems and might start to learn how to operate all the systems manually.

Even more important in the long run IMO would be a more immersive gaming experience, which could very well be done by a third party developer. Voice acting, an environment that is "alive", heavily improved ATC....

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4010161 - 09/15/14 06:27 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I wonder how one would design a simplified systems airplane that wasn't designed as "an arcade mode for noobs that don't want to learn" but more as a teaching tool to teach core concepts and naturally lead into the real mode.

#4010166 - 09/15/14 06:37 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Frederf]  
RSoro01 Offline
RSoro01  Offline

New Hampshire, USA
Originally Posted By: Frederf
I wonder how one would design a simplified systems airplane that wasn't designed as "an arcade mode for noobs that don't want to learn" but more as a teaching tool to teach core concepts and naturally lead into the real mode.

FC3? That's the niche it fits, pretty much. More than arcade but not so systems heavy that it makes your eyes cross.

#4010168 - 09/15/14 06:42 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Jedi Master]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Yes, I think the limited resources needed to make a sim that is also a good game is the reason it falls short.

DCS started life as a contracted simulator that was then adapted for game use. That adaptation didn't have the amount of resources it needed to be like Jane's the Next Generation.

The Jedi Master

I don't know that ED is looking for advice, or a way forward from us, the community. Like you said, DCS is a civilian adaptation of their commercial product. I don't really know what ED's angle is with respect to other parts, like Combined Arms. I would like to think that it's a nod to us gamers, but it could easily be ED's attempt to get a piece of the Distributed Operations in the military. This is where I just don't know enough to even speculate well.

From a gamer's perspective, I think there are a few things that would improve the appeal of DCS (does it even need to improve its appeal?):

1. More attention to the FC3 level of simulation.
2. A new planeset/environment package.
3. A dynamic campaign.

1. Any number of posts have indicated that many folks simply don't have the time or inclination to learn the complexity of a DCS:A-10 level aircraft. You know, this makes sense. If you accept that the A-10 is modeled very accurately, then it is reasonable to accept that a certain level of effort is required to fly it accurately. An Air Force pilot spends years learning to employ an A-10 properly; we're doing it in our spare time.

I have to think that an area where ED could simply kill in this regard is the Korean War era. While no doubt it takes a lot of work to build a DCS:F-86, it can't be as hard to make as an A-10.

2. Building on point 1, too many folks have expressed an interest in era-specific environments. I'm going to take a wait-and-see on how Nevada and Hormuz are received by the community. I expect them to be very successful. The first person to build a Korea terrain can probably expect to be very successful.

3. My entering argument for starting this post is that most folks want a game, and not a simulator. I understand these aren't mutually exclusive. But once you have your super-realistic plane, you want to play with it without having to invest a lot of work and time to create the fun. Even something as superficial as the Thirdwire campaign system would be welcome by many. I think almost everyone would buy this as a module. Is this just not a profitable idea?

There is no real competitor for the 1950-1980s flight sim other than Thirdwire. ED could lock up this part of the market by default. I am not sure why there isn't more emphasis in direction to this market. Using DCS:F-86 as a starting point, you build a DCS:MiG-15, create a Korea terrain, and then a couple of FC3 level other aircraft, and you simply have nobody else competing with you. And with multiplayer you offer something even TW doesn't offer.

Anyway, I'm rambling and going off subject here.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4010215 - 09/15/14 07:53 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted By: toonces
I would like to think that it's a nod to us gamers, but it could easily be ED's attempt to get a piece of the Distributed Operations in the military. This is where I just don't know enough to even speculate well.

If i had to venture a guess, i'd say it's both. It definately has its origins in a JTAC training suite. Being something that appeals to the military as well as the civillian side of business, it really is a no-brainer. Development that leads to a synergy between civilian and military market is the safest bet they can get.

Originally Posted By: toonces

There is no real competitor for the 1950-1980s flight sim other than Thirdwire. ED could lock up this part of the market by default. I am not sure why there isn't more emphasis in direction to this market. Using DCS:F-86 as a starting point, you build a DCS:MiG-15, create a Korea terrain, and then a couple of FC3 level other aircraft, and you simply have nobody else competing with you. And with multiplayer you offer something even TW doesn't offer.

This is a bit puzzling, tbh. You have been following their roadmap, have you? wink

#4010231 - 09/15/14 08:20 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
I agree with Jedi Master here, I think rivet counters, sofa jockeys are ruining flight simulators. Wish ED can organize a real poll about what aproach to take.

-To the Graveyard!!

#4010235 - 09/15/14 08:26 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: toonces]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Why make a poll when they have sales figures?

#4010245 - 09/15/14 08:39 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Sobek]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Originally Posted By: Sobek
Why make a poll when they have sales figures?

Really? They have sales figures of a FC3 style western multirole jet?

-To the Graveyard!!

#4010251 - 09/15/14 08:48 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Stratos]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted By: Stratos
I think rivet counters, sofa jockeys are ruining flight simulators.

I think that's a contradiction in terms. "Simulation" is about realism and accuracy.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
#4010262 - 09/15/14 09:10 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Chris2525]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Originally Posted By: Chris2525
Originally Posted By: Stratos
I think rivet counters, sofa jockeys are ruining flight simulators.

I think that's a contradiction in terms. "Simulation" is about realism and accuracy.

"Rivet counting" might be interpreted as a sole focus on the mechanization of the systems in which case I'd agree. Realism is beneficial insomuch as it channelizes behavior down new and more sophisticated routes of gameplay. I've seen Ka-50 played by a bunch of airheads and IL-2 played like it was real life. Good flying is determined by more factors than just how accurate the airplane is. The effort-benefit ratio to improving the quality of the experience can suggest accepting errors in the systems to prioritize AI, mission text, etc. that isn't rivet related.

Of course a polite "this has 10 rivets, it really should have 11" which is factual and non-demanding (or at least understanding of other priorities) should never be demonized.

#4010296 - 09/15/14 10:45 PM Re: DCS - I don't think it's what you really want [Re: Frederf]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

Originally Posted By: Frederf

You can do that with DCS as the ME can coax players to conduct a task a good example is BFT missions which teach players to fly at the exact spped/altitude and heading.

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.