Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4009423 - 09/13/14 08:48 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Why the hell is it priced at $450?? That's a solid GPU right there! Why would I spend that insane amount of money on a game?

** Note: I ask this question as a normal-minded, non-fanboi, I-got-a-family-to-feed sort of gamer **

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4009469 - 09/13/14 10:14 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: - Ice]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Why the hell is it priced at $450?? That's a solid GPU right there! Why would I spend that insane amount of money on a game?

** Note: I ask this question as a normal-minded, non-fanboi, I-got-a-family-to-feed sort of gamer **

Let me rephrase that for you: Why would I spend that insane amount of money on a game that isn't even out yet?

#4009546 - 09/14/14 02:46 AM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Alicatt]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
I'm scratching my head to think of one that costs $450, I have not seen one my self.
The Vanduul Scythe was $300 when it was released during the kickstarter campaign but there were only 300 of them, the Idris was $1000 back then too, but it was very limited numbers and they sold out in minutes. I have not heard of one coming for sale at $450 either.

Well, oh.....my bad lol

$300 and not $450

And even then, $300 ?? That must be the 'SS Audactity II'

wink

#4009549 - 09/14/14 02:56 AM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Flogger23m]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Flogger23m

Compare the effort put into a Star Citizen ship (outside of artwork) compared to a DCS level plane for much less and it looks like a ripoff.

I think the game will be decent, just very over hyped.

That's a very good point. I'll say he has very good marketing because he managed to create a bunch of hype that sold itself very well and justified more hype along the way.

Compared to Elite, SC just looks more like a pile of promoter bloat. It's amazing how folks actually got bought into the scheme. For their sakes, I just hope I am wrong.

#4009623 - 09/14/14 10:11 AM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
Quote:
Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it?

Yes.

#4009674 - 09/14/14 01:50 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

There's a sucker born every minute.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#4009704 - 09/14/14 03:53 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Naah. I actually can't believe that the father of Wing Commander and Strike Commander is going to make something less than great.

In its own way, probably, but this is going to be great.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4009798 - 09/14/14 08:22 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
I'll admit I am very interested in the game, but when I check out the website and see how much some of those ships and packages are I ask myself "Are these guys for real? Are there really people paying this kind of money?"

When it comes to Star Citizen I start thinking "The bigger they are the harder they fall." Witness Destiny and the amount of money behind that.... yet it appears to have spectacularly failed to live up to the hype.

#4009816 - 09/14/14 09:16 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I think in the end the problem IS hype per s.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4009891 - 09/15/14 02:20 AM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Pielstick]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: Pielstick
I'll admit I am very interested in the game, but when I check out the website and see how much some of those ships and packages are I ask myself "Are these guys for real? Are there really people paying this kind of money?"

When it comes to Star Citizen I start thinking "The bigger they are the harder they fall." Witness Destiny and the amount of money behind that.... yet it appears to have spectacularly failed to live up to the hype.

Well, they are being sold as pledges. The ships are just bonuses for "donating". The problem is that it has more or less become outright buying ships, upgrades, suits, and even skins. When the final game comes out will the prices be more sane? Say $10-50 per ship?

Then there are those who will get angry if they are too cheap because they paid a lot for them up front. Or those that want them to take hours of grinding in game to obtain because they sank $400-500 in "pledges". Now if they can update Arena Commander to allow you to use any ship (at least combat ones) it would be more reasonable. Those who want to play the persistent universe have to jump through the hoops (and costs) to get the ships. But even then, $160-220 or 100 hours per ship is a lot. Also keep in mind insurance and ammo costs. The balancing for this can certainly be a slippery slope.

But aside from the PU, there is always the SP campaign and Arena Commander. If they are done right and of decent length it will be worth the full price by itself.

#4009958 - 09/15/14 09:55 AM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Ojokoltsa Offline
Ojokoltsa  Offline

I didn't even pledge for the project because it sounded way too ambitious right from the beginning.

As Jayhawk has said already, I may check this (and Elite) out when it is released. Until then there are plenty of other things to do.

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 4x3.40GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL8 8GB Kit | GPU: MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB DDR5 | SND: AuzenTech X-Meridian 7.1 2G | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB ArchLinux | HDD: WD Caviar Green 1000GB (Data) | DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-218L | Sony Optiarc AD-7240S
#4010023 - 09/15/14 02:38 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If SC turns out to be a game I want to play, I'll buy it. However, I have zero confidence that the game will go in a direction I want it to go, namely next-generation Wing Commander.

If it fails to do that, well I didn't pay a dime into it so I don't care.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4010060 - 09/15/14 03:32 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Kickstarted originally, lost interest shortly after. I'm all for being surprised by a good game but so far SC has been one massive dog and pony show with people paying thousands of dollars for a few sad little things to show for it.

If anything, I seriously disagree with the way they went about their development and communication. The fact that (some) people keep buying content for hundreds of dollars is just as sad.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4010066 - 09/15/14 03:39 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Backed with the cutlass from my side. That is it. I am not impressed by the control mechanics in DF module, but CR has said they will now incorporate 3d vectored flight.

But speculation is moot. We all know this game will be a long way down the line before the base PU is down. At that point anything can and most likely will change.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4010090 - 09/15/14 04:28 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Good article about it on Ten Ton Hammer recently:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/columns/respawn/cult-star-citizens-delays

Quote:
Its so hilariously transparent that this isnt about making a game anymore, but more so about exploiting a community of zealous fans who will spend as much money as humanly possible to make sure that theyre right. Chris Roberts tapped into a group of extremely proud loyal warriors who will fight the good fight for the game, and take any blow as a success - nay a victory.

I backed it with one of the small packages, but at this point I am cynical that we will ever see the game they promised finished.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4010123 - 09/15/14 05:19 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Agree sort of with that article, but think he misses a potential point and one of my hypothesis.

Backstory... there are multiple studios, with multiple buildings multiple employees and multiple costs located in many places around the globe.

So what happens when the game launches? and lets say its a good game and is successful. What happens next? well there will be dlc's and then later down the line a possibly new version in development years later.

Well we all know the revenue stream will fade as purchases wane and eventually a dev team and company assets shrinks before moving onto another project.

So how to combat that shrink and try to ensure a steady revenue stream between big releases?

Easy, don't just be a manufacturer of one game, establish yourself as a company that can outsource expertise and assets that other producers will want to use.

That is where I am guessing CR and team going.

Take for instance the motion capture (mocap) section of the game. IIRC instead of outsourcing what mocap they need within the game for minimal costs, one of the stretch goals was to purchase and create their own mocap studio.

Makes sense. Instead of having a product they can use for their game, why not purchase at the communities expense an asset they can resell for additional revenue. Also makes sense why we have these showcase videos and partial tech demo modules.

IMO They are not just only spending funding money creating a game, but also that money creating a business to keep themselves going.

That's my conspiracy theory and ties in whole with the article above why its advantageous to CR to drag out this process.

However, on a positive note. And if I am correct, CR and team will have to produce quality to gauge interest which should translate into quality for the game, but also long delays as the cash cow is kept alive for as long as possible to optimise revenue for asset purchasing.

So, I bought in with one ship, and that is it for me until isee a game.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4010138 - 09/15/14 05:49 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: kludger]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: kludger
I backed it with one of the small packages, but at this point I am cynical that we will ever see the game they promised finished.

Ditto. I did the $65 thing early on before it got crazy. If I hadn't I wouldn't be doing anything with it now. I have zero interest in it until there's a game to be played--and that doesn't mean a module to dink around with.
I wouldn't compare it to DCS, these games are completely different sims. DCS: simulates the control and physics necessary for flight combat and nothing beyond that and no consequences, just respawn. Of course that would be highly detailed and accurate. Otherwise, it would have nothing to offer. SC will simulate "living the life" of a pilot, including piloting. If SC was just going to be running mission after mission with nothing invested but success or failure, then respawn without consequences, it might be out by now.

Personally, I'm waiting for them to drop some kind of bomb. I don't see this getting done anytime in the next few years and I might not even care about gaming by then. What if they do a couple of years of work, collect all of this money, and then they get back the WC license and decide to convert everything to fit in the WC world.
"Hey guys, great news! SC will be WC now. All we have to do is start over! Yea!"
"No, no estimated release date because we're PERFECTIONISTS. It will be done when its done." (standard BS line for devs these days, who cares about deadlines and goals? Tell YOUR customers that one. LOL)

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4010142 - 09/15/14 05:57 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
And now we know why the "big bad" publishers impose deadlines on game developers.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4010188 - 09/15/14 07:16 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I'm only in for about 35 bucks but that's all I'm giving them. I want to play the game and actually move up within the game.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#4010233 - 09/15/14 08:23 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
And now we know why the "big bad" publishers impose deadlines on game developers.

rolleyes

Yeah. Because now the fantastic great publishers are the only soldier standing between us and the void of unfinished games.

Worked well with Cliffs of Dover.

I jest, partly. But it's not all black or white.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.