Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4009205 - 09/13/14 11:36 AM Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it?  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
I admit, i like the old series with the 'Kilrathi', and especially 'Privateer'.

Now when Mr. Roberts said he would make a new up-to-date version, if different from this "earlier universe" concept, i was one of the first to support him with this kickstarter project.

Now this company has amassed an insane amount of money, so all "stretch goals" can be easily achieved or so he says, but it is already much, much more. And i get regular updates what has been done, and made. Impressing, no doubt. But today i got a "racing" update, where i could buy something like the 0.9 beta race, and an absolutely cheap (highly cynical here) race pack for 450 Dollars.

What?

Also, one of the later ships (still to be made?) cost around 400 bucks as well. Is this the new simulation way ?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4009221 - 09/13/14 12:33 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

I've glanced at it a few times because the concept is cool.

But it seems like a money grab in some ways at this point. They've got like 30 million now, right? What do they even need "stretch goals" for or racing packs with that kind if budget? Finish the game with the kings random you've raised and sell it for a reasonable price.

Sorry, I've just begun to despise the nickel and dime, enteral beta state of PC games these days.

#4009223 - 09/13/14 12:36 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
No, not lost it per se.

The racing feature was one of the first to be announced way back in November 2012, that's when I got my M50, it was my second ship.
All ships etc. can be purchased in game for in game currency when the game is released.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4009229 - 09/13/14 12:50 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The worst thing is the market will get flooded with copycats. They'll want to try to fund with silly goals too. It will be hard to tell which games will turn out to be good games and which are vaporware in neverending "alpha". Bad for gaming and bad for that type of funding. I predict a return to publishers for the big claim titles like that in the next few years.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4009243 - 09/13/14 01:31 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
Yeah, my initial enthausiasm has washed away too, I backed them on the first day of the problematic launch of the RSI site for the minimum amount that would let me play ($35 I think) and never went beyond it despite the promises made.
I think he should concentrate to get the core game done (Starlancer/Privateer clone) because the project is in danger of overstretching itself beyond salvation and no amount of money can rescue it, thus becoming the biggest crowdfunding disaster in history.
Up to this point I think Elite: Dangerous is shaping up a lot better even though I still haven't played it, the hangar and dogfight module of SC left me indifferent to be honest.

#4009244 - 09/13/14 01:34 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: bonchie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: bonchie
I've glanced at it a few times because the concept is cool.

But it seems like a money grab in some ways at this point. They've got like 30 million now, right?

They're actually at 54...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4009247 - 09/13/14 01:46 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: komemiute]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: komemiute
[quote=bonchie]

They're actually at 54...

And still no letter wink

Clan Cameron
#4009249 - 09/13/14 02:00 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
I liked WC and Privateer a lot, but I´ll wait until the final release.

I bought into the premium beta of ED though. What I see there is looking already very good.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#4009283 - 09/13/14 03:21 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Alicatt]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
No, not lost it per se.

The racing feature was one of the first to be announced way back in November 2012, that's when I got my M50, it was my second ship.
All ships etc. can be purchased in game for in game currency when the game is released.

For $450 ?

Really ?

What's the spaceship called ? 'Audacity' ?

Man, I don't think Chris has lost the plot but the backers....... certainly

#4009317 - 09/13/14 04:59 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
They did a nice Top Gear spoof though:

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4009322 - 09/13/14 05:10 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Jayhawk]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

That's probably the major problem I have with Star Citizen, so far they seem to spend more time and money on making fancy commercials instead of getting the game out.
It seems almost like they don't want to finish making the game as long as people are bringing in funds.

#4009328 - 09/13/14 05:16 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

I'm scratching my head to think of one that costs $450, I have not seen one my self.
The Vanduul Scythe was $300 when it was released during the kickstarter campaign but there were only 300 of them, the Idris was $1000 back then too, but it was very limited numbers and they sold out in minutes. I have not heard of one coming for sale at $450 either.

Clan Cameron
#4009338 - 09/13/14 05:43 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
.Wombat. Offline
.Wombat.  Offline

Texas
This seems reminiscent of the "Fighter Ops" days.

#4009339 - 09/13/14 05:45 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Priceyplanecrasher]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: Priceyplanecrasher
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

That's probably the major problem I have with Star Citizen, so far they seem to spend more time and money on making fancy commercials instead of getting the game out.
It seems almost like they don't want to finish making the game as long as people are bringing in funds.

It is to get more obscenely priced ship sales pledges. Every time they do a commercial, more people spend money. To be fair, $54 million is a decent amount but not a whole lot for a AAA game. Battlefield 3 spent about $300 million if I recall? Average AA games are $40-80 million if I am not mistaken.

The issue is people seem to think more money = more features. True to a point. Two years into the game and throwing $100 million at them does not mean the game will suddenly be a lot better unless they backtrack and redo major parts of the game with a higher budget.

My main issue is that I know the ships will cost a lot of money in the final game when mechanic wise all they are is a basic space shooter model with extremely simple weapon systems similar to every generic space game. I would have hoped for more detail. That being said it isn't a bad thing, but the prices for what you get are. Compare the effort put into a Star Citizen ship (outside of artwork) compared to a DCS level plane for much less and it looks like a ripoff.

I think the game will be decent, just very over hyped.

#4009347 - 09/13/14 06:00 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I'm a BIG fan of Wing Commander and Privateer and backed SC with some 40-50 bucks.

Can't say I'm too happy about what I've seen in the last 6 or so months.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4009352 - 09/13/14 06:08 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
More detail will be coming.

The problem is that people expect it to be done instantly, that everything is ready and to be shown 2 days after the kickstarter is finished. This is one of the pitfalls of kickstarting game development.

Elite Dangerous is doing their testing one way, by releasing basically most of the game concept, in a very small setting (like 12-36 systems). Their pitfall is that people will have "finished" the game before it's released.

Star Citizen is doing it differently, by creating smaller, seemingly unrelated, modules which allows them to test certain features which are vital to the finished product, but which doesn't show off core game features.

#4009381 - 09/13/14 07:11 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: .Wombat.]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: .Wombat.
This seems reminiscent of the "Fighter Ops" days.

LOL! Well, no... it's definitely not THAT bad.

As for Elite pitfall, that's hardly so.
As of now, in Standard beta one, only very few basic game mechanics, not gameplay, is there. All the fun I'm getting is closer to meta-gaming than gaming per sé.

Ask anyone who is into this, EVERYONE is dying to finally get more than buy/jump/sell/shoot.

It is still better than other games at release states, but there's nothing to finish there.

You have six ships out of twentyfive, outfitting is a hair more than a placeholder, there's little to do. Next Beta is being awaited as the second coming, it's sick. But understandable. We want the rest. And even that adds some but hardly much.

Considering that release is going to be by the end of the year my personal opinion about the development is pretty positive.

Not even remotely perfect but a very valid anf auspicious procedure.

What's more is that the best part will be granted an year from now, planetary landing and atmospheric flight (self contained in ONE DLC).

Right in time to rekindle whoever cooled down.
Not to mention the continuing work on the persistent universe.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4009384 - 09/13/14 07:20 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
When both are done and released, I will happily get both Elite and SC (provided they don't go down the X: Rebirth route).

Until then, I'll do something else. smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4009387 - 09/13/14 07:25 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
I didn't get involved in the kickstarted but I am interested in the final product. I don't think they've lost it but a lot of stuff does seem a little gimmicky (although I don't follow everything either so I'm not in the know).

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#4009390 - 09/13/14 07:29 PM Re: Anyone else thinks that Chris Roberts and "Star citizen" have lost it? [Re: Catfish]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

For sure they are both going to be benchmarks of space games.

It's a great time to be a PC gamer.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.