Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4006636 - 09/08/14 12:07 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

For the various entities of Germany,
Arminius/Hermann - defends the northern reaches from roman rule.
Henry the Fowler/Heinrich I. - Defends from magyar raiding (Lechfeld), (re-)establishes the Reich as a unity of smaller kingdoms. Correction: That's actually Otto I., see posts below...
Frederick II. (the Great) - in numerous wars and battles (of which he probably lost as many as he won...) establishes the Prussian/Hohenzollern rule over the Reich, and with it also reducing the Habsburg influential sphere.
Helmuth von Moltke (The Elder) - I am not sure about his participation in actual battles, but under his military command Prussia defeated Austria (+southern german forces) 1866, and France 1870/71, which in turn led to calling out the German Empire under Wilhelm I. + Bismarck.
Hindenburg and Ludendorff - defeating the Russians at Tannenberg and the Masurian Lakes, preventing a russian invasion of East Prussia and toward Berlin, allowing to focus the main war effort to the western front.
Alexander von Kluck - overloaded with the tasks to reach the Channel, take Paris, and/or defeating Lanrezacs Fifth Army (self-set goal out of opportunity), his I. Army failed to achieve its goals on the western front, which led to the overall failure of the Schlieffen-Plan; though one may argue whether he can be really be blamed, and it's definately not him alone to blame, but he was in the critical spot.

For WW II., I don't think there is a single battlefield commander whose achievement could be considered significantly influential.
If you like, you can put here Rommel for his achievements in Africa, and Paulus for Stalingrad. But real infuential, I would have to put Dnitz with "his" submarines, Gring for all his failures (Dunkirk, BoB, airsupply of Stalingrad, defense of the Reich from the bombers), and the Gefreite himself...

Last edited by WhoCares; 09/08/14 01:27 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4006649 - 09/08/14 12:47 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
I would think if there was one WW2 German general influential it would be Heinz Guderian, father of the blitzkrieg.

#4006653 - 09/08/14 01:02 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: Priceyplanecrasher]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Priceyplanecrasher
I would think if there was one WW2 German general influential it would be Heinz Guderian, father of the blitzkrieg.
Yes, absolutely.

Doenitz and Goering I would not include since they operated at the strategic level. They were not battlefield commanders.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/08/14 01:03 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4006659 - 09/08/14 01:14 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
"Arminius" was a leader of the Cheruski, a germanic tribe. Therefore he's not part of "German" history, despite Emperor Willi's romantic views on the issue; and his name was most definitely not "Herrmann". smile (his father's name was Segimer or Sigimer).

"German" history really starts with King Otto I. defeating the Magyars at the Lechfeld in 955, and the subsequent establishment of the "Holy Roman Empire".

Charlemagne, for example, was leader of the Frankish Empire (Regnum Franconum), which when divided up among his sons evolved into modern France and Germany.

Out of the numerous influential military leaders from over a 1000 years of German history, from the top of my head I would include:

Otto I.
Friedrich I. Barbarossa, and his son Heinrich VI
Friedrich II. ("took" Jerusalem through clever diplomacy)

Albrecht von Wallenstein (30 years war)
Johann t Serclaes Graf von Tilly (30 years war)
Georg von Frundsberg (introduced "modern" infantry tactics during the early 16th century)
Kurfrst Maximilian II. Emanuel von Bayern (successful campaigns against the Ottomans; one of the liberators of Vienna 1683)

WWII Generals that were influential because they "introduced" modern mobile warfare were IMO:
Erich von Manstein
Heinz Guderian

Last edited by Jayhawk; 09/08/14 01:22 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4006668 - 09/08/14 01:25 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: Jayhawk]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

I put Arminius, as what later became Germany may have looked completely different, had he not defeated Varus and thus stopped the Roman expansion.

Yepp, I mixed up Heinrich I. and Otto I. (even noting the Lechfeld)...

I was actually thinking of v. Manstein and/or Guderian or a mixture of both - I didn't remember either name, and a quick search for Panzergeneral didn't bring immediate results (except for the game) - I can agree with either and both of them.

I would still defend Dnitz, as for the U-Boat war there is little more hirarchy and he was very much involved in the individual dispositions of the Boats and Wolfsrudel...

Last edited by WhoCares; 09/08/14 01:31 PM.
#4006727 - 09/08/14 02:47 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Doenitz and Goering I would not include since they operated at the strategic level. They were not battlefield commanders.

They were unit commanders in WW1 and Doenitz commanded the U-Boats directly from his war room, hence the importance of the enigma.

Last edited by Priceyplanecrasher; 09/08/14 02:52 PM.
#4006736 - 09/08/14 02:58 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: Priceyplanecrasher]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted By: Priceyplanecrasher

They were unit commanders in WW1.

But at that time they were not really influential.
But thinking of WW1 aviation, one may name Oswald Boelcke and his British counterpart Mick Mannock, both defining the aerial combat doctrines of the time and (to some extend) still valid today.
But also those, while important to aerial combat, I'd argue whether the last part of Panzers first post applies to them
Quote:
...military leaders who were responsible for winning or losing decisive battles that forever changed the course and development of your native country...

Last edited by WhoCares; 09/08/14 03:01 PM.
#4006774 - 09/08/14 04:40 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
I would add
Rommel for his unconventional tactics while commanding the DAK
Paulus for not revolting against the HQ once he realized Stalingrad was a trap

PS: after reading the thread title only the first time it was Clausewitz as alltime most influent commander that came into my mind.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
#4006781 - 09/08/14 05:00 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: Rends]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Rends

PS: after reading the thread title only the first time it was Clausewitz as alltime most influent commander that came into my mind.

Clausewitz
von Blucher
Gneisenau
Scharnhorst

All four of these were immensely influential on the historical course of Prussia and Germany in general after the Napoleonic Wars.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4006851 - 09/08/14 08:08 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Yep but i guess it's only Clausewitz book from war who made it to military academys worldwide .

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
#4006910 - 09/08/14 10:31 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

The soviets had some really poor and some really excellent General's.
Georgy Zhukov. Was a logistics and planning genius.

#4006976 - 09/09/14 12:34 AM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: Fitz505]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Fitz505
Lieutenant Thomas Macdonough, USN

A little known American, whose exploit's had a large impact during the War of 1812.
Commanded the American naval forces that defeated the British Navy at the Battle of Lake Champlain, which was part of the Battle of Plattsburg, which helped lead to an end to the War of 1812. By defeating the British Navy, the British Army, which was heading south into NY was forced to retreat back to Canada, as they would have no source of supply.
While a tactical victory, it also had international implications as it denied the British the right to any demands for exclusive use of Lake Champlain and the Great Lakes at the Treaty of Ghent and gave exclusive use of Lake Champlain to the United States. I guess you could say the victory also helped define the northern boundaries of the United States.
As a side note, it finally brought Vermont into the war.
The Navy thought him important enough to name 3 Destroyers and a Frigate after him. That's 2 more than Halsey.

+1

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4007034 - 09/09/14 02:37 AM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: Vertigo1]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
Originally Posted By: Fitz505
Lieutenant Thomas Macdonough, USN

A little known American, whose exploit's had a large impact during the War of 1812.
Commanded the American naval forces that defeated the British Navy at the Battle of Lake Champlain, which was part of the Battle of Plattsburg, which helped lead to an end to the War of 1812. By defeating the British Navy, the British Army, which was heading south into NY was forced to retreat back to Canada, as they would have no source of supply.
While a tactical victory, it also had international implications as it denied the British the right to any demands for exclusive use of Lake Champlain and the Great Lakes at the Treaty of Ghent and gave exclusive use of Lake Champlain to the United States. I guess you could say the victory also helped define the northern boundaries of the United States.
As a side note, it finally brought Vermont into the war.
The Navy thought him important enough to name 3 Destroyers and a Frigate after him. That's 2 more than Halsey.

+1

+2
I did not know about this story.

#4007167 - 09/09/14 11:50 AM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
General Zod.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#4007203 - 09/09/14 12:56 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
We could start a thread called "least influential" and it would be bigger than the last word wins series.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4007218 - 09/09/14 01:21 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: Jedi Master]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
We could start a thread called "least influential" and it would be bigger than the last word wins series...

I don't know how that would work, one could just flood it with totally unknown peace-time commanders.
Instead you might try most overrated and/or underrated commanders. Or worst plunders.

Back on topic, the Brits might add Jellicoe to their list, who would also fit to the underrated category for the Grand Fleets performance at Jutland. Not the glorious victory like Trafalgar that had been expected from him, but as Churchill put it, 'the only man on either side who could lose the war in an afternoon'.

#4007222 - 09/09/14 01:25 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: WhoCares]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: WhoCares

Back on topic, the Brits might add Jellicoe to their list, who would also fit to the underrated category for the Grand Fleets performance at Jutland. Not the glorious victory like Trafalgar that had been expected from him, but as Churchill put it, 'the only man on either side who could lose the war in an afternoon'.

In the aftermath of Jutland the Germans made a big deal about their tactical victory (which it certainly was)but of course never mentioned that the strategic situation was left unchanged. The blockade of the North Sea continued unabated.

#4007233 - 09/09/14 02:01 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
I'd have to go with Col. Robert E. Hogan. They made a multi-season documentary on his exploits.

#4007235 - 09/09/14 02:03 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
So no one mentioned Garth of Izar yet? reading

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4007267 - 09/09/14 03:10 PM Re: The most influential military commanders of all time [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Norway:

Magnus Berrftt (Magnus Barefoot), aka Magnus III Olavsson (1073-1103):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Barefoot
Expanded Norway's holdings in Britain by force. He also helped drive the Normans back from Wales.

Harald Hardrde (Harald Hardrada), aka Harald Sigurdson (1015-1066):
Rose to command the Varangian Guard in Constantinople, before returning to conquer Norway and then died at Stamford Bridge in 1066.

Sigurd Jorsalfar (Sigurd the Crusader), aka Sigurd I Magnusson (1090-1130):
Led the Norwegian Crusade to Jerusalem, never lost a single battle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Crusade

Peter Jansen Wessel Tordenskiold (1690-1720):
The best norwegian-danish sea captain of the era of Age of Sail. Notable for his exploits in battles against Sweden, if he had not died at the age of 30 in a duel he would have done even greater things.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.