Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4004768 - 09/04/14 01:51 AM Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Did anyone else have trouble with this Predator and Prey SP mission?

I bought it this weekend and I'm afraid my Elite career has stalled right out of the gate as I can't seem to get past this Predator and Prey SP mission, when I try doing it stealth mode coasting around with shields off I can kill the first two Fed ships but when I go for the third one the Cobra always seems to find me and attack.

When I try to attack the Cobra first, I can usually get the jump on him and knock out it's shields, but once he manages to get his weapons on me, my shields are no match.

I know I just have to keep trying this until I figure it out, but just wondering if anyone else got stuck on this mission ?

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4004773 - 09/04/14 02:06 AM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It's extremely difficult, when I go stealth mode I almost always get found or lose contact with the targets. The only way I've gotten through it has been brute force by taking out the Cobra right away.

It's a good training mission to demonstrate a situation not to get into in the first place.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4004844 - 09/04/14 07:29 AM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I would actually disregard the briefing, just go for the Cobra first.

Tactics:
- the sidewinder is much nimbler than the cobra, albeit not just as fast. With a bit of practice you should be able to stay locked on his six o'clock.

- He will then try to shake you off by boosting straight and get some separation, that's the moment you know you have him. Even then mind you, he can be dangerous if you let him get that separation. He can pitch pretty fast his weapons back on you.

Q: What to do?
A: When you notice he stopped maneuvering and he's getting away, try to point your nose as fast as possible between his engine and disengage the Flight assist. Then boost after him, cut the throttle when you reached top speed and put all pips between shields and guns. This way he'll not be able to get away as you're just a hair behind him while at the same time you've got all the energy to shoot away and keep his shields under pressure.

As soon as he tries to reverse kick back in your Flight assist and maneuver to stay on his six.
Eventually you'll manage to put him out of his misery without a scratch on your hull.

Then go get the federal fighters. smile

Let me know if it works.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4004867 - 09/04/14 08:56 AM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I've managed to take out the fighters without worrying about the Cobra. Took some doing tho'.

I switched off any unnecessary modules (such as lasers and frameshift drive) to save power and used silent running, deploying heatsinks when temperature reached critical levels (usually one after each of the first two fighters and hope to get the third before overheating). Taking them out quickly with the cannon is difficult, it's unlikely that you'll manage it before they get a chance to run, after which you have to chase them down as quickly as possible. You have plenty of ammo, so there's no need to get in close before opening up, just lead the target and open up.

If the Cobra does engage you it's not necessarily game over. Since you're hidden from their sensors there's a chance they'll lose contact and fail to reacquire you.

#4004952 - 09/04/14 01:47 PM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Cool thanks for the tips guys, will use those tips to keep working on it, hopefully will teach me dogfighting as well as stealth.

#4005189 - 09/04/14 11:29 PM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
I think the scenario was created before some fairly significant improvement to the AI, many have stated that the single scenarios were much easier prior to the Premium Beta. [/idle speculation]

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#4005207 - 09/05/14 12:12 AM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: sinner6]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: sinner6
I think the scenario was created before some fairly significant improvement to the AI, many have stated that the single scenarios were much easier prior to the Premium Beta. [/idle speculation]

QFT, but it's still largely beatable, with the right skill.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4005323 - 09/05/14 09:07 AM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Skill or persistence, probably some combination of the two. I'm very modest so reckon it was more of the latter.

#4005713 - 09/05/14 09:41 PM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: Brun]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Brun
Skill or persistence, probably some combination of the two. I'm very modest so reckon it was more of the latter.

Very true. Probably my usage of Skill word was a bit implying. oops

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4005885 - 09/06/14 10:31 AM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Can I just ask why you would play these missions now? They were only there in the first place to give us something to mess about with until the main game content (which we have now) was delivered.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#4005958 - 09/06/14 03:22 PM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Cuz they're still fun!

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4005976 - 09/06/14 04:30 PM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: kludger]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
I still go play them pretty regularly. It has very well executed space dog fighting mechanics, and the scenarios provide good instant gratification.

It would be pretty cool, actually, if they'd release a simple mission builder. The ED engine would be well suited to a linear, Wing Commander style space shooter. Usually I want the grand, persistent universe simulation experience, but I like just jumping in and blowing stuff up without consequences too.

#4006138 - 09/06/14 11:34 PM Re: Elite Noob Stuck on Predator and Prey Mission [Re: Mace71]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Mace71
Can I just ask why you would play these missions now? They were only there in the first place to give us something to mess about with until the main game content (which we have now) was delivered.

I was actually playing because I thought I had to finish them before being able to go online since the "Online" button was red, so I assumed it would stop being red when I passed all the SP missions, but I just went to check and I now see that the Online button only stays red for a few secs when I first start the game and then goes normal color, I just had never waited long enough to see that.

I will still want to finish these missions for the training, but great to know that I don't have to wait to try online mode, so thanks for asking the question which led me to that discovery biggrin

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.