Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3952085 - 05/11/14 06:18 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Sometimes I think CCP's motto is "If it ain't broke, fix it"

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3952792 - 05/12/14 11:58 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
5 May 2014 10:30PM

Finished off the Industry Agent mission line, but I cheated a bit and bought some stuff instead of manufacturing it. I still have the blueprint for 5 Bantams but at an hours production time, I simply repackaged my old Bantam and gave it to the agent at the final mission. As a Shield support ship, I dont think Ill miss it much. Dont like the way it looks either. So now Ive finished Business, Exploration, and Industry lines, time for some pew-pew.

The first two missions of the Military agent were easy enough. Using my Heron with nothing but some Hobgoblin I drones, I didnt even need to fire my guns. I got a Merlin in return for my efforts, and while it can do three turret slots, there is no space for drones. Oh well, time to do the work myself.

I decided to de-clutter again and so stripped and repackaged all my ships except for the Venture and the Merlin. I was also tired of cannibalizing stuff from each ship when Id move to a different one so I decided to buy some decent guns and get a second Small Shield Booster I as well as two 150mm Prototype Gauss Guns for my primary weapons. I wanted to use a missile launcher as my third weapon but I dont have the skills yet. With my 150mm guns only having Optimal range of 7.2km and Falloff at 13km, I decided to get some Iron Charge S ammo as well. What use is a railgun if you have to be up-close-and-personal to use it? Looking around, I also found a Light Missiles skillbook for 20K ISK 1 jump from Jita so I decided to get it as well. I want to see how missiles work!

With the old Antimatter Charge S, my Optimal/Falloff ranges were 7.2/13km respectively. With the new Iron Charge S, Optimal/Falloff ranges increase to 23/29km respectively! Im impressed! The Antimatter can do more than twice the damage of the Iron ammo though, so its really a tradeoff of range vs. damage. 14.1 dps for Antimatter and 5.9 dps for Iron. I guess this will all depend on how quick the enemy can close the distance and start firing. If I can keep him at arms length forever, then the DPS wont be much of a factor as Ill just plink him all day. [Note: at this point, I should probably specify that enemies would be AI rats and not human players]

My newbie-ness emerges again. I go and get the Light Missiles skillbook only to find out I needed the Missile Launcher Operation skillbook as well and get THAT to level 2 before I can even start training Light Missiles! Oh well, I always enjoy the sights when visiting Jita. Ill need to remember to check prerequisites next time.

Doing a few more missions, I seem to have success in keeping the enemy at about 15km distance and kiting them instead of orbiting. With an Afterburner, I can run away about as fast as they can come closer so I managed to get a few easy kills this way.

NOTE TO SELF: Check if your ship can do missile turrets before buying any.

6 May 2014 8:31PM

Back from work and a bit of rest and now to fire up EVE again. Last night I finished training Light Missiles so I went to Jita again and bought some Mjolnir Light Missiles and an Experimental TE-2100 Light Missile Launcher... only to find out my current ship (Merlin) didnt have any missile slots. I guess I was thinking about my Heron.

So, onwards with the Military training! Mission 7 and the agent tells me this guy captures a navy ship, murders the entire crew and replaces them with his boys, and wants me to go out and fight him.... and ends his message with Have fun! Yeah, thanks mate! He gives me a Small Armor Repairer I but I dont have the Repair skills, so again, thanks mate! The EVE Uni website says I shouldve gotten the skill during the basic tutorial but I dont seem to have it as a learned skill or a skillbook. Oh well, buy another book.

During the night, Ive queued up a good few skills. I now have Propulsion Jamming 1, Gunnery 3, Astrometrics 2, Mechanics 3, Industry 2, Mining 3, Refining 2, Light Missiles 2, Drones 3, and Scout Drone Operations 3. Not much direction, I know, just training up what I currently have, I guess.

Anyway, I warp out of my station, go to the ambush site, and Im jumped on by a good number of pirates. 15 or so? I keep them all at 20km range and a volley or two from my 3 150mm Prototype Gauss Gun and each one explodes in a glorious fireball. I dont think any of them managed to hit me as keep them at bay with the help of my 1MN Afterburner I. Well that was easy!

I use the same tactic on all the other missions and complete the Military line with no problems at all. I remember the last time I did this, I would have to warp out, repair my ship, and warp back in... I had to do this 2-3 times before I finished everyone off. Im happy that I was able to handle it with no sweat this time.

I start on the Advanced Military line and learn about scramblers, webs, and logistics stuff. Interesting, but not really useable given my long-range kiting technique. I finally get to play with some missile stuff but not really keen on the Heron. The best bit though is getting the Cormorant at the end of the line and also the Caldari Destroyer skillbook! Whoo-hoo! On to Dessies! The Cormorant is sweet too, with great bonuses on the Small Hybrid Turrets Ive been using. Now I only need to buy the Corax and Ill have both Caldari Dessies on my inventory!

This brings me to the end of the tutorial and Career Agents line. I may go for the other agents or do the Sisters of EVE line, but Ill see if I can apply to EVE Uni as well and see what they have to offer. Like I said, my sub ran out before I could join them the last time so I hope I can join them this time. With my character only 2 days old and 109 days left to go, Im quite hopeful!

But for now, lets see what I can do with my Destroyers!

Logging back into the client, I found out that I have 3x Gecko, a Caldari Heavy Attack Drone. I clearly dont have the skills to use it and checking the market, its going for 28.3M, so not bad for a freebie from CCP!

Looking forward to using my Destroyers properly, I check out the Mastery tab on the Corax (I like the way it looks better than the Cormorant so Ill be playing with this first) and I buy a Target Management skillbook and a Capacitor Systems Operation skillbook. The first will allow me to target more enemies up to the ships limit, the second allows me to recharge the ship capacitor 5% faster. The second wasnt really important but it was part of the skills needed to master the ship, was cheap, and quick to train. I bought Rockets, Missile Bombardment, and Missile Projection skillbooks as well. I realized that I couldnt train Missile Projection until Missile Launcher Operation was up to level 3, so I bought a Target Navigation Prediction skillbook and a Rapid Launch skillbook as well to train.

With that, Im off to sleep!

8 May 2014 11:57PM

Played a few hours of EVE today and yesterday, although the term play might not be appropriate. Yesterday was spent mostly just reading skills, training up skills that sounded cool/useful and buying up the skillbooks as required, and generally just sitting around in my quarters as I read up on how to join EVE University.

I queued up most skills up to Level 2 or 3, so I got loads of new skills. Most of them were useful, but not all. At least not for the moment.

Today, I knew I needed to finish up on my EVE Uni application but I didnt want to just sit around while doing so. I decided to be productive and take out my Venture and find me some rocks to mine. After a short research period, I decided that mining Solid Pyroxeres was the best option for me as they were being bought at a high price per item. At 59.31 ISK per item, I was bringing in almost 1 million ISK per haul. I started the day with 525 million ISK but after a few runs and despite buying some expensive skillbooks (5 million ISK for a Accounting skillbok, 3.5 million ISK for a Marketing skillbook), I am going to bed with my character at 524 million ISK. Not bad, but Ive now just realized how difficult it would be to skill up to be able to pilot a mining barge (Procurer or Retriever). I hope to be able to pilot one in a few days but as the prerequisites require skills that take 12+ hours to train, well, maybe Ill be able to get in one by the end of next week.

12 May 2014 11:31PM

I finished up my EVE Uni application on the 9th of May, and spent most of my game time mining Pyroxeres and Scordite, with around 1 million ISK per full load of my Venture. I would mostly mine in the Unpas system asteroid belts and would see a lot of other Ventures, Retrievers, and Procurers in the system as well. Most would mine Veldspar and I wonder if they are doing this for their own manufacturing needs or if they are selling it. If they do it for their manufacturing needs, then I understand, but if they are selling it, well, its not the best way to spend their time.

I managed to skill up enough to be proficient in the Corax, so Ive spent some time trying to skill up for the Retriever. The Mining Barge I skill needed a good few skills on Level 4 or Level 5, so training those skills would take a few days. Im now training Industry to Level 5, with 2 days and 3 hours more to go.

In the meantime, Ive decided to move to Arnon to start the Sisters of Eve story arc. I felt rather lonely with just my Corax so I hopped onto a starter ship and made my way back to Uitra. I packed my Venture, its fittings, my starter ship, and a few odds and ends into a Badger and slowly piloted it back to Arnon... or rather to Tar III where I continued on the story arc after a few mining runs. Not as profitable as selling to Jita; I estimate my earnings to be about 80-90K less than if I were working near and selling at Jita. Oh well, thats the price to pay for doing missions.

While doing the SoE arc, there have been sites that were just awesome to behold.... mostly the ruins of old ships. There, and sometimes during docking/undocking, I felt the true scale of some of the bigger ships vs. my own Corax. Most of the rats never stood a chance against my array of Experimental TE-2100 LMLs with Mjolnir and Scourge missiles, so I got to enjoy the sights more than worry about the mission. I must say it is much easier this time than when I tried this years ago; I remember an engagement back then that had me warping in-and-out of the location to repair my ship (Catalyst) as I had trouble with the rats. No such issues now!

Skills trained I had originally planned to list all my trained skills here but it seems like EVE only tracks the previous 2 days worth of skills....

While reading up more on EVE, Ive come across some ideas that sound rather funny... one of these is minerbumping d()t com. Just read this for lolz CLICK HERE

Anyway, while I do understand a bit of loathing for AFK mining, if the game allows it, why not? Funny how people get all riled up by this considering how many scams are proliferating in Jita, how many war decs are done mostly for bullying and extortion. Apparently, this guy wants to appear like Robin Hood and the enemy is AFK miners.

Ive started to keep a wary eye out for the Local channel tab, but so far my mining adventures in my Venture has been hassle-free.

Regardless, I wont have to worry about this for a few days yet. Once I do get my Retriever, I wonder how Ill end up using it. I definitely dont play AFK, but I do other things while waiting for my mining lasers to eat through the asteroids. I read up on EVE forums, check email, browse the net, and so on, so I dont really pay attention to the chat very often. I guess Ill see what happens, cross the bridge when I get there, that sort of thing. I did read that mining in low-/null-sec in alliance space is safer than high-sec mining in some cases. Weird.

As for my finances, Im now down to 489 million ISK after spending around 6 million in fitting my Corax and buying a good number of skillbooks. Funny how some books cost more than a million ISK.

Last edited by - Ice; 05/13/14 12:07 AM.

- Ice
#3952799 - 05/13/14 12:26 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Funny how some books cost more than a million ISK.

Carrier Skill books are 500M eek

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3952881 - 05/13/14 08:33 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: Nixer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Nixer
Funny how some books cost more than a million ISK.

Carrier Skill books are 500M eek

Yep, I'm learning!

- Ice
#3952900 - 05/13/14 10:49 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I never knew how to fit modules to ships, it would not apply but nowhere explained what can go where and how you do it. How do you do it? This was one of the major things that turned me off (biggest was no cockpit view and having the external view only) as though I should know what to do unless I missed something?

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3952911 - 05/13/14 11:52 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
There's a fitting window. You either drag'n drop a module into the appropriate slot or you use the right-click contextual menu.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3952944 - 05/13/14 01:19 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
There's a fitting window. You either drag'n drop a module into the appropriate slot or you use the right-click contextual menu.

Not even that now. Drag-n-drop it on your ship (center of the fitting window) and it'll pop into the appropriate slot.

- Ice
#3952946 - 05/13/14 01:24 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum

Yeah, I know that but things wouldn't go in. How are you supposed to know what can and cant go in? If it doesn't let it should say why so you learn rather than having no idea what you're doing wrong. I even googled back then and found nothing, its like it was 'if you have ask you cant have'.

Not noob friendly.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3952956 - 05/13/14 01:47 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: Mace71]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Not noob friendly.

Nope, definitely not.

But then the forums have always been rather helpful for newbies, despite the high signal/noise ratio. I also found the newbie help chat channels rather helpful when I started out in EVE. Quite often when I posted a question I got invited to a private conversation by someone who actually took his time to help me out.

Once you wrap your heard around how EVE does things it actually becomes rather intuitive.

@Ice: Eve university is very good. I joined them right after doing the tutorials and the SoE mission arc and was flying in PvP fleets within days, blowing up stuff and getting blown to bits.

biggrin

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3953012 - 05/13/14 04:32 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I just got invited to a PvP corp but told them I wanted to join E-Uni first.

Mace, you do know you can get a 14-day or 21-day trial on EVE, right? Give it another go, it sure is different from the EVE I played years ago.

- Ice
#3953179 - 05/13/14 10:35 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: - Ice
5 May 2014 10:30PM

h just my Corax so I hopped onto a starter ship and made my way back to Uitra. I packed my Venture, its fittings, my starter ship, and a few odds and ends into a Badger and slowly piloted it back to Arnon... or

Don't ever need to do this. Instead, if you REALLY want another Ibis, undock in your pod and dock again and you'll get a shiny new one. Fewer miles, and still has that new Ibis smell. Oh, and 1 unit of trit too!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#3953211 - 05/14/14 12:35 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Man I can't even begin to count how many starter ships I have TRASHED.

Any luck with Eve Uni yet Ice?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3953602 - 05/14/14 08:35 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No luck with E-Uni yet.

Johnny, that was... my 3rd Ibis, I think. I know I can get a new one, that's what that one was actually. But I didn't want to litter the EVE universe with my unused Ibii so I packed that up with me for use at a later date.

- Ice
#3953700 - 05/15/14 02:01 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Trash 'em if you don't want 'em, that way they don't clutter up your assets

Most fun ever in an Ibis was fitting a fleet of them with T2 weapons and mods and going on a drunk 0.0 roam in the Dronelands back when they were still named random numbers and letters instead of the current region names.

-Robert Heinlein
#3953774 - 05/15/14 08:17 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Why fit it with T2 weapons? I mean why fit anything at all? Just put some go-fast stripes and you're on!

- Ice
#3955113 - 05/18/14 04:20 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

13 May 2014 2:30PM

Fired up EVE again, and finished upgrading some core skills: Energy Grid Upgrades to level 3, Warp Drive Operation to level 3, Hull Upgrades to level 2, Evasive Maneuvering to level 2, Capacitor Managment to level 2, Shield Management to level 2, Shield Operation to level 3, and Capacitor Systems Operation to level 3. All in all, these delayed my Industry level 5 training by more than 12 hours, but as I am running the Sisters of Eve arc, I figure the increased bonuses will be more useful now than later. I still have 4 hours and 30 minutes from Weapons Upgrades to train before going back to Industry.

My current Corax fit is 7x Experimental TE-2100 Light Missile Launchers, 1x Limitied 1MN Afterburner I, 1x Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I (off), 1x F-90 Positional Sensor Subroutines, and 2x Ballistic Control System I. No rigs. The Mjolnir Light Missile has a max range of 43km and DPS of 11.1 for 108HP EM damage. The Scourge Light Missile has a max range of 43km and DPS of 11.7 for 114HP Kinetic damage. I have 6 launchers on Mjolnir and 1 on Scourge. My initial plan was to kite my enemies but with a max speed of 485m/s with afterburner, I dont really run fast enough away from the rats. Luckily, my shield can take the brunt and my missiles makes sure things are over after the 2nd or 3rd salvo, if they manage to survive the first.

Okay, on to grinding the Sisters of Eve arc. So far, all battles have been somewhat meh. Ill usually warp in about 30km from the enemy rats, and I guess Im too far off for them to start doing anything yet. I lock up 4-5 rats, fire off 2 missiles each at the first three rats who then die after the 2nd or 3rd salvo, then finish off the rest of the group. By the time the rest of the group comes in range, there are only 2-3 of them left. I probably shouldnt complain though! I hear the move advanced missions get harder.

After a few missions, I was down to 19 Mjolnir missiles. I had only purchased 800 initially so I went through them pretty quickly with 6 out of 7 launchers firing Mjolnirs. The cheapest I could find was from Clorteler II at 13.23 ISK per missile so I set out to buy 1,500. Only later did I realize that to get to Clorteler II, I would be passing through two low-sec points, Seyllin (0.4) and Ane (0.3) before ending up in Clorteler (0.5). Oh boy. Luckily, I scouted out the systems via the F10 map and there have been no pod kills or player ships lost within the last hour and none had any players in them for the last 30 minutes. I went through the first gate, scanned the area, all quiet, and made my way to the next gate. Did this all the way in and on my way back as well and managed to return to Arnon without any trouble at all. After loading up the missiles on the Corax, Im back to mission running!

15 May 2014 10:47PM

Continued running the SoE arc and kept training my Industry Level 5. I finally finished that one tonight and in 20 short minutes, I will be able to pilot mining barges! I hope that boosts my ISK-earning capabilities and that itll be a fun activity. Ill start off by mining common ores (Pyro and Scor) in high sec and see if I come across the religious activists that prey on miners. If I am able to earn past my initial 565 million ISK starting point, Ill be very pleased.

Ill be training Mining Barge to Level 3 and I know I need that to be Level 5 before I can fly the Tech 2 ships, but Level 3 will have to do for now.

I also got a letter today asking for my old API key. I sent that off and joined the queue for Eve Uni! I hope it wont be long now before I can join! Unfortunately, its getting late so Ill probably have to delay this until the weekend.

Im just jumping from Tanoo V to Arnon IX, a 23-jump journey and Im not using autopilot. Lovely! Luckily, with my multiple monitor setup, I am able to keep EVE Online open on my display screens while being able to do other stuff on my touchscreen. Im being productive!! Haha!

Ive now brought my SoE rep up to 8.5 and I now have a new agent available to me in Arnon alongside Sister Alitura. Is he a bonus agent? Yes he is! For a small transport/courier run, I get a Limited Memory Augmentation implant (+1 to Memory) which currently has a buyer in Oursulaert III for 580,000 ISK. Not bad! 4 jumps to get to the agent, and then another 2 jumps to get to the delivery point....

16 May 2014 19:44PM

Continuing on the SoE arc, I report to the Caldari commander to up my standings with my own faction. I then get Mission 49, warp to the area, take out the escorts.... and then watch as my attacks are ineffective against Dagan, the main target. I would damage him and he would repair just in time. I managed to get his shields down to 20% remaining by using Nova missiles (explosive damage) on all 7 launchers, but it was a struggle to get there and I was running low on missiles. I disengage and run to a SoE station in Sigga and refit. Dagan could not do damage to me as he could not track me at 30km doing about 450, so I was not worried about my own shields, but I needed a way to up my DPS. Unfortunately, the options available were either ridiculously expensive (better Ballistic Control modules for the low slot but costing millions per module) or out of my skill levels. The only thing that seemed feasible was using faction ammo.... a Caldari Navy Nova light missile would do 95 HP explosive damage vs. 83 damage from the vanilla Nova. At 1,500 ISK vs. 17.25 ISK for the vanilla Nova, it is quite expensive so Ill definitely have to dig into my coffers for this one. I buy 1,000 missiles at Tar, go get them, and see how long Dagan would last against the new missiles.

I return to the battle area and find him about 130km off from where I warp out. No problem, Ill just come closer and set up to orbit him at 30km. First volley and 228 damage. Much better than last time (about 190 damage) so well see how long it takes for this to break through his defences. Within half of my ammo rack spent, I got him to about shields and down to 1/3 shields after another 6 salvos. With 8 more shots left in my magazines, I finally went past his shields and onto some hull damage.

I got to 60% of his armor when my launchers fired the last missile from the magazines and with the 10-sec reload time, he was able to heal up to maybe 70% shields, but I quickly took that down and after 7 salvos, I was into his structure.... and 2 more salvos took care of him at last! Whew! For some reason, he never fired at me this time. Maybe our previous encounter damaged some of his targeting systems? In any case, he was a tough nut to crack! I pick up his sorry ass and return him to the Caldari commander who then instructs me to hand him over to the SoE.

I arrive at the drop off location and find 4 rather interesting ships. Unfortunately, I did not notice the drones/drone hive so I will have to re-do this arc later on to see what Ive missed.

I return to the Caldari commander who gives me my rewards and I guess thats it, the SoE arc over!

I dont like having stuff all over the universe so I return to work hauling things from Arnon back to Unpas/Uitra. I only have my Badger to transport stuff in so I pack in my Ibis again and my Venture and its fittings and do my relocation. Damn, this is a pain!

With all my stuff now safely in Unpas, I head over to Jita to buy my first mining barge. I think Ill go with the Procurer for now for two reasons: 1) its cheap! and 2) its tankable. Most of the fittings I find online are with T2 modules and I cant use them yet so Ill see what I can make-do for now. 16.4 million ISK.... wow! Now lets see the ROI on this baby! I spent close to 20 million ISK on a modest fitting, and I used to make about 1 million per run on the Venture. If I can do maybe 5 million per run on this one.... Oh, and a quick LOL... I was able to sell my Ibis on Jita for 1,700 ISK.... not bad for a free ship!

18 May 2014 1:10AM

Spent the last two days just mining away in Unpas. I managed to make a spreadsheet which would tell me which ores were the best value per full load. I could usually make 2.5 million ISK if I filled up the ore bay and cargo bay with raw ore. Before long, I made 28 million ISK to recoup the 20 million ISK spent on the Procurer.

Yesterday, I had a quick chat with a new player who thought he would lose his free time if he paid for a subscription before the 14-day trial was over. I had to set him straight and also pointed him towards the buddy invite program and the goodies he can get by doing this. He was hesitant to leave his 4-day old character but hopefully the chance of restarting with 500 million ISK changes his mind.

Earlier this evening, I came across an advert for a corp in Unpas Local chat channel. I opened it up and found a corp that did mostly mining and PvE, and the CEO is a Brit. I convo the recruiter who was quick to answer questions and passed me onto the 2nd-in-command of the corp who managed to fill in most of the gaps. After about an hour of chatting, the CEO logged in and we spent a good hour or so talking about the corp, my needs, their expectations, and the unique situation I am in being in queue for E-Uni but also looking for some mining-specific help.

Lucky for me, the CEO used to be in E-Uni so he had no problem allowing me to lurk about in his corp while I was officially an E-Uni member. I generally had a good impression of him, his 2nd-in-command, his recruiter, and even met a couple of corp members in their public chat channel so it was easy for me to decide to join up with them and see how fleet mining ops works. There was talk of an ice belt near them so I might try that and see how lucrative it is. Unfortunately, these riches also seem to attract the vultures and I was informed of CODE member activity in the local area. The locals seem to be organizing something to drive the riffraff away, so I might see some pew-pew action as well.

Around 10PM last night, I got a message in E-Uni chat telling me it was my turn for the interview. After a quick convo with the recruiter, I was accepted into E-Uni! Sweet! I wonder if I can join their +3 Implant scheme but just have my current implants refunded? The recruiter didnt know so Ill have to do some digging. I look forward to using the Mentor scheme as well.

Apparently, a Procurer is the bane of the CODE member as popping one is nearly impossible to do before CONCORD help arrives and after showing my ship fittings to the CEO and 2nd, I was assured that I would be find in the systems with ice belts. Before heading out, I look around for the Ice Harvesting skill book and find one nearby.... but not in Jita. I had been warned that some E-Uni enemies would hang out in Jita to pop anyone that comes through so I bought a book in Kisogo and also picked up Shield Compensation and started training both.

I must say at this point I have no clue as to what skills to level up. I just check out the ships Mastery tab, see what Im missing, train that, or find something simple to train and do that. I queue up Ice Harvesting to Level 4, Shield Compensation to Level 2, and Tactical Shield Manipulation to Level 2. Still very new to everything so Im doing the shotgun approach.

Next thing I do is look around for a Ice Harvester I but everything that is available is in Jita. Again, no way am I going to Jita for this so I ask on the corp channel and the 2nd offers to sell me one for the same price as it is in Jita. Sweet! With that, I head over to their system and see if I can meet new friends.

Upon arriving, I scout out the local belts and see some new goodies. Kernite and its various flavours, more Massive Scordite, Viscous Pyroxeres, and Dense Veldspar than Ive ever seen. Nice! I start out mining Kernite and collecting info on it. After the first cycle, I suddenly notice laser fire hitting my ship! I look up and see some Sansha ships (rats)... finally!! I release my Hobgoblin I drones and sic them on the rats. I can only control 3 of my 5 drones, so this just shows me that I need to train up THAT skill more. Regardless, my Hobs make short work of them and I return to mining in peace.

2nd starts a trade with me and gives me my Ice Harvester module and then I resume looking around the local belts while she goes out looking to see if there are any ice belts around. Soon enough, she messages me saying there is one just one system over so I rig up my Ice Harvester and warped over. True enough, we find a fresh ice belt with only a few miners in it and I see my first ice belt!! I lose no time in starting to harvest/mine, but with 90sec/cycle, I have lots of time to look around and take pics.

Current price for Clear Icicle in local region space is 280,100 ISK and with a full load of 12 icicles, thats about 3.36 million ISK for a full cargo hold. Nice!

18 May 2014 11:45AM

I return to the ice belt only to find it empty. No surprises there I guess. I jump to the next sector and take a look at the asteroid belts. I need to start mining the new ores, see what the numbers are, and know which ones are the best to mine. Unfortunately, the server shuts down soon after so I go and play a little bit of War Thunder, have lunch, and return to EVE.

Once the downtime is over, I take a look around the neighboring systems looking for ice belts and I chance across a fairly new one so I return to my HQ and refit my ice harvester module and go and join the fun. Selling my haul from yesterday plus what I was able to grab before all the other Procurers, Retrievers, and Orcas could wipe out the belt, I was able to make 21.3 million ISK! Not bad for just a few hours of mining! With all of the other miners though, the ice belt didnt last long and I returned to mining regular ores.

The great bit about mining is that it allows me to do something else while waiting for my strip miner/ice harvester to go through its cycle. I can chat to other players, I can read posts on the forums, or I can make posts/ask questions/do research about a topic. As I have a Pathfinder RPG game tonight, I was able to review options for my character by reading a book while my miner did its job.

The trick here, though, is keeping an eye on the mine cycle and the ores remaining on the asteroid. Sure, I can leave the mining laser to just cycle through until the asteroid is empty, but that could mean spending another mining cycle just to harvest the remaining 50 units of ore..... not really a very efficient way to spend the time. Or maybe having to spend another mining cycle just to top up the remaining 50 m3 of space.... again, not a very efficient way to spend the time.

One of the EVE-Uni guys linked me to a program that should help me with all of this when to turn off the mining laser issue and Ill have to give that a go later on.

- Ice
#3955117 - 05/18/14 04:34 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Got a bunch of pics this time around and will post screenies shortly.

- Ice
#4005166 - 09/04/14 10:03 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
FrontierProject Offline
low-spec system simmer
FrontierProject  Offline
low-spec system simmer

Smalltown Minnesota
Any of you still playing? I started within a few days of the last post in this thread.

"Burn them all."
--------------
Intel Core2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz
4GB RAM
Sparkle Geforce GTX460
#4005260 - 09/05/14 02:51 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#4006119 - 09/06/14 10:29 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I still am, yes, but a bit busy with RL stuff again at the moment so have stopped doing blogs and just update my skill training as needed.

- Ice
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.