Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 87 of 442 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 441 442
#3993428 - 08/10/14 11:19 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Ah, okay, I see - the log seemed to count the whole training with many sorties still as 1 sortie.
Strange, but what can we do? It is okay, Casey and Jim.
If you want all sorties to count, you would have to collect your number of sorties from your log
and add the number of training flights manually, Casey. Or you leave it as 1 - your choice.

Casey, if you want to create a link to another post or picture, click on the second symbol
from the left, and insert the line there. After that you are requested to name it,
and then you have a clickable link.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3993431 - 08/10/14 11:42 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Olham for, me its ok. I have flown one combat mission. not more, nor less.

2nd and 3rd will follow today, if I wll survive.....

About the lin, does it not work? for me its doing fine.

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#3993433 - 08/10/14 11:45 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Haha - you changed it! immelman

#3993440 - 08/10/14 12:23 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Originally Posted By: Olham
Haha - you changed it! immelman

nope,....but the first time i used it after writing, it took ages to load. neaner

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#3993446 - 08/10/14 12:38 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: OldHat]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: CodeRed
OK, I give up!

I'm practicing to join this DiD Campaign and I'm getting my behind kicked! ...I've been trying for a week now on A settings (which aren't bad) to get past 3 missions (~3.5 hours) in either a BE2 or FE2b career without getting shot down... I've figured that I can't run away at the sight of an EIII (which I can spot at about 1km) before finishing a mission, because I'm assuming that would get me a courtmarshel if it was in RL. My gunner is uselss and I can't take gunner seat and fly at the same time, so I need to use autopilot (which seems to be cheating to me) but still have a hard time shooting at the EA.

I've tried to stay high above my flight, but eventually they get me and shoot me down. I'm trying to rack my fried brains on what I need to do to stay alive in either of those machines. Otherwise, I'll just stick to the strutter as those are waaaay easier to survive...

any tips ANYONE??

Codered I was having the same issues a while ago, see my post on page 120. You can read the replies and get some good advice. They helped me a lot.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3993470 - 08/10/14 02:10 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: OldHat]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: CodeRed
OK, I give up!

I'm practicing to join this DiD Campaign and I'm getting my behind kicked! ...I've been trying for a week now on A settings (which aren't bad) to get past 3 missions (~3.5 hours) in either a BE2 or FE2b career without getting shot down... I've figured that I can't run away at the sight of an EIII (which I can spot at about 1km) before finishing a mission, because I'm assuming that would get me a courtmarshel if it was in RL. My gunner is uselss and I can't take gunner seat and fly at the same time, so I need to use autopilot (which seems to be cheating to me) but still have a hard time shooting at the EA.

I've tried to stay high above my flight, but eventually they get me and shoot me down. I'm trying to rack my fried brains on what I need to do to stay alive in either of those machines. Otherwise, I'll just stick to the strutter as those are waaaay easier to survive...

any tips ANYONE??

I've flown against EIIIs with a FE2b and torn them up by getting very close to their tail and letting the AI gunner go at it. Back when I did that my workshop setting for rear guns was set to "normal" not "less accurate". I think that setting change is why one needs to now fly super close to the tail or side of an EIII now.

IMHO, your best best for staying alive is in the Strutter due to the forward gun, craft stability, and rear gunner.

Last edited by MudWasp; 08/10/14 02:16 PM.
#3993497 - 08/10/14 03:21 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
I've not had much time flying (overtime due to holidays) but that has been remedied by getting injured for 10 days wounded

I was leading a patrol and happened across two Aviatiks at only 9000ft. I attacked them, and got in an excellent position to hit the right hand machine. Stupidly, I didn't think that this put me in the sights of the observer on the left hand machine.

Blood spattered on my goggles I made it back safely. The flight did get the 2-seaters. Our new chap, McCudden has claimed one, but something tells me he won't officially be credited for it.

#3993498 - 08/10/14 03:23 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Damn, the posting here goes with "WW2-craft-speed", and I can hardly catch up with you all anymore! runningdog

MFair, it feels strange to be called "the rule maker" - almost like "Bruce Allmighty"... biggrin

You brought up a good point there, and my opinion is, that even A-LEVEL pilots should be
allowed to use the "compass gauge", if their plane doesn't provide them with one.
You will have to click through the gauges, until you have the compass as "gauge 1" so to say;
then click through all others, until they go away (I haven't done it since a long time,
but I'm pretty sure it should work somehow).

I would like to hear your opinion to this, RAF_Louvert, as you are an archetype
of an A-LEVEL flyer in my eyes?

CodeRed, you should fly as high as you can to avoid them.
I fly at 3500 Meter with my Roland C.II, and most enemy scouts are flying lower in my area.
But sometimes they still turn towards me and try to get me. My last chance is then, to push
the stick forward and dive towards our field.
Not sure how fast the FE.2b could dive. My Roland can do over 200 km/h, and with that speed
I can outrun ANY enemy scout so far.
So, if the Fee cannot dive so fast - join the Germans; fly the Roland C.II "Walfisch".
We are far too few anyway. biggrin

#3993501 - 08/10/14 03:31 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
The Roland is the most dangerous machine about at present. On the mission before last, I was on the tail of an Eindecker, when two Rolands came and rescued him.

On a previous (FE2) campaign we were bounced on take-off by a Roland. They are very aggressively flown.

Fees can't dive. But they flat turn (rudder) exceptionally well. Turn until your attacker runs out of energy and then manoeuvre your observer into a good position to make the kill. remember that the observer will not fire when pulling G.

Last edited by Maeran; 08/10/14 03:34 PM.
#3993505 - 08/10/14 03:37 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
You brought up a good point there, and my opinion is, that even A-LEVEL pilots should be
allowed to use the "compass gauge", if their plane doesn't provide them with one.

There is no need to use the compass 'aid'. Any good WOFF pilot will do the same as a real pilot did ... use the sun and shadows to know what direction he is flying, or simply watch landmarks. It is quite easy.

Please, lets not tarnish the 'A' settings by dumbing it down; the whole idea of the 'A' group is to have no aids and be as 'full real' as possible.

As always, just my personal opinion.

#3993508 - 08/10/14 03:43 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Thank you for your thoughts on this, Scout - I would like to hear more A-LEVEL flyers,
if anyone has a non-compass crate, and how you think about having that gauge or not?

#3993510 - 08/10/14 03:48 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Hm, my guess is, that no pilot went up, without a compass, and a watch. Even then it is not easy.What about Dawn flights in Late autumn and winter?It is pitch black darkness around 6or 7 am.

Its not easier, it is more like the real thing.

Regards

#3993546 - 08/10/14 05:57 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: 77_Scout]  
Robert_Wiggins Online smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Online Smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: 77_Scout

There is no need to use the compass 'aid'. Any good WOFF pilot will do the same as a real pilot did ... use the sun and shadows to know what direction he is flying, or simply watch landmarks. It is quite easy.

Please, lets not tarnish the 'A' settings by dumbing it down; the whole idea of the 'A' group is to have no aids and be as 'full real' as possible.

77 Scout;

Like Olham has said, pilots often carried compass with them but your suggestion reading sun and shadows is also reasonable if you are using the shadow mod. Some people can't use it.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3993552 - 08/10/14 06:20 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Ah, okay, I see - the log seemed to count the whole training with many sorties still as 1 sortie.
Strange, but what can we do? It is okay, Casey and Jim.
If you want all sorties to count, you would have to collect your number of sorties from your log
and add the number of training flights manually, Casey. Or you leave it as 1 - your choice.

Hello both Olham and LtCasey. I have your latest capture: Total hours = 11.63 Hotspot hours = 2.1 and sorties = 2. This doesn't add up according to the hours of all the other pilots. I would say that total hours should be the hotspot hours which are 2.1 Otherwise the 'training hours' should be 11.63 - 2.1 = 9.53 and captured under 'Quiet hours' as obviously you don't train in a hotspot or even a medium area. Please advise reading

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#3993554 - 08/10/14 06:32 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Hi Jim,

its ok by me, if you just capture the combat missions and flight durations of this. From the next capture on I will only write down combat mission values.
But, since flying in Verdun these days, its not a "quiet job", I´m against this idea, of substracting flighthours. Remember, there is no other way to become a DiD campaign member, flying for France, accordingly by the rules.

Last edited by LtCasey; 08/10/14 06:35 PM.

#3993559 - 08/10/14 06:48 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
I am not subtracting flight hours, just making them add up. The rules are that the hotspot hours + medium hours + quiet hours = total hours. I also did 'training' before joining a squadron in France but those hours were not counted towards my DID total at the time.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#3993560 - 08/10/14 06:51 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Thank you for your thoughts on this, Scout - I would like to hear more A-LEVEL flyers,
if anyone has a non-compass crate, and how you think about having that gauge or not?

As far as I can tell, no A-level flyer has no compass in their machine. My opinion on the matter is that they can have one if they want.

A historical note that I will make is that after a swirling fight, the compass could be spinning madly and useless anyway. At these times the pilot had no choice but to use landmarks for their bearing. This doesn't happen with in game compasses.

#3993574 - 08/10/14 07:27 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: JimAttrill]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
I am not subtracting flight hours, just making them add up. The rules are that the hotspot hours + medium hours + quiet hours = total hours. I also did 'training' before joining a squadron in France but those hours were not counted towards my DID total at the time.

Ok, so we just count them as "quiet" and the following hours as they are..... I will do that from the next report.

I truly hope for Johnson, that he will make it throug december 1916 cheers

Last edited by LtCasey; 08/10/14 07:28 PM.

#3993577 - 08/10/14 07:36 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: 77_Scout]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

I understand using shadows and landmarks. When the sun is out. That is what I have been doing in my non DID campaign. I do not use the shadow mod. BUT, the my last mission was in total dark clouds. No shadows, no landmarks, no nothing. I do not care how good you are, real pilot or sim, with no landmarks or sun, you are lost. If being an "A" flyer means not using the compass gauge I will just make sure the plane I have is equipped with one. No problem.
I tried using my hand held compass but no matter which way I turned, it always pointed northeast. biggrin

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3993581 - 08/10/14 07:44 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: MFair]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Originally Posted By: MFair

I understand using shadows and landmarks. When the sun is out. That is what I have been doing in my non DID campaign. I do not use the shadow mod. BUT, the my last mission was in total dark clouds. No shadows, no landmarks, no nothing. I do not care how good you are, real pilot or sim, with no landmarks or sun, you are lost. If being an "A" flyer means not using the compass gauge I will just make sure the plane I have is equipped with one. No problem.
I tried using my hand held compass but no matter which way I turned, it always pointed northeast. biggrin

this,......made me laugh, really loud!

Page 87 of 442 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM