Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3989343 - 08/01/14 03:16 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Good Points.

I think comedy has a lot more leeway in distorting reality and exaggerating character traits to get a laugh. Humor is another relative concept. Larry the Cable Guy could be a genius of comedy to some, I guess.

But I can't explain Step Up!... that is beyond human comprehension. winkngrin

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3989370 - 08/01/14 03:58 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
December Offline
December  Offline

Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog
For each Citizen Kane - how many hundreds of idiot movies was made at the same time? Take a look at the movies created in each decade - only a handful are remembered. You remember Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, but what about the scores of other movies from then? They were forgettable, and have been forgotten.

Take a random year - like 1959 when Ben Hur was released and take a look at "notable movies released" - how many of them do have you heard of, or much less seen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_in_film#Notable_films_released_in_1959

Of the Academy Award nominees for best movie in 1959 I've heard of (and see) two.

Exactly, and they have been making comic book hero movies since the 50's

#3989386 - 08/01/14 04:26 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: December]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: December
For each Citizen Kane - how many hundreds of idiot movies was made at the same time? Take a look at the movies created in each decade - only a handful are remembered. You remember Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, but what about the scores of other movies from then? They were forgettable, and have been forgotten.

Take a random year - like 1959 when Ben Hur was released and take a look at "notable movies released" - how many of them do have you heard of, or much less seen?

Of the Academy Award nominees for best movie in 1959 I've heard of (and see) two.

Exactly, and they have been making comic book hero movies since the 50's

That's true but they weren't the massive box office successes they are today. Back then comic book films were relegated to B movie status. I think it was the success of "Superman" in 1978 that changed all of that.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3989607 - 08/02/14 04:28 AM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna
An unknown virus causes people to turn into Zombies. This works, as long as it is not explained too much.
This does not work for me. ever. Rabies, mutated slightly so the
deranged state lasts a bit longer, that I could buy. But they'd be
just normal people, on their way to a horrible demise.

Quote:
A tornado is formed at sea, exactly above a shiver of sharks,
Really, the group noun for sharks is a "shiver"? Is that cuz they're too cool to school?

#3990047 - 08/03/14 02:20 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Give me Guardians of Galaxy over The Butler any day....if that makes me less grownup so be it.

Who's to say you are more grownup because you like what Oprah likes

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#3990161 - 08/03/14 06:54 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
DetCord Offline
DetCord  Offline

Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
Which is why there need to be more directors like Nolan and the District 49/Elysium director, who at least make an effort to put one foot in visceral CGI action and one in actual ideas and characters who aren't laughably shallow.

But this comic book movie trend is tiresome, and it encourages #%&*$# everything, except things that go boom.

And my point is that I wonder if American's entertainment/escapist/popular art tastes are becoming increasingly juvenile. I think there's a good chance that, viewed en masse, they are. Junk food all the time.

And to one of your other points...no, of course it's not a binary either/or in terms of choices. I'll be seeing the new Mad Max movie, for sure. But hell, the ratios are janked up out of proportion in terms of what "the machine" feeds us. And people seem more than content to lap it up. Is that the future?

Well, Disney owns Marvel Studios...

Ex-pat Kiwi currently serving in the U.S. Army
#3991064 - 08/05/14 02:03 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Disney owns a lot.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3993254 - 08/09/14 08:28 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Cicero Offline
Cicero  Offline

Glasgow ,Scotland

I impressed myself there: I've seen quite a few of those. A whole bunch of them are pretty famous, mind, so it's not really surprising. biggrin Even the award winners that are listed there - Although I haven't seen them all its really only a couple I am unfamiliar with.

As for the comic book movies. I was never into comic books when I was a kid, save for Commando comics and then 2000AD. I've seen a bunch of them - I liked the Iron Man films - but I'm not that bothered either way. Mind you, its really just Super hero stuff I don't like so I'm probably a lousy person to comment. Dredd was my favourite movie last year, and I'll watch the Hellblazer TV show like a proper fanboi too...

I do get both points, though. Still, there are some great films out there getting made.

#3996088 - 08/15/14 05:13 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
You ever wonder if the fact that so many adults in their 30s and 40s still look to comic book content as their primary source of entertainment is going result in an ever lowering bar of entertainment fare?

Adults who never seem to tire of comic book and star wars/star trek reboots makes me wonder if the tastes of current and future generations are going keep growing more and more juvenile. And then there's the cosplay crowd. Adults with a reverence for content that used to be the purview of ten year olds.

Are most American no longer outgrowing this sort of thing? Avatar being a perfect example of the fatuous. Unobtanium. Un. #%&*$#. Ob. Tanium. Spell it out a bit slower, and in bolder, harder to miss letters, Mr. Cameron. Please. No, really. Any high school writer worth his or her salt can do better than that. The Dark Knight is like 1 in 1,000 for being a pop culture comic book movie that attempted and accomplished more than that.

Would the tastes of most of today's audience even allow for a movie like Citizen Kane, Easy Rider, The Last Picture Show, Casablanca, etc. to be made? These were not sideshow art films, but major cinematic events in this country. Sure, there's non-American Christopher Nolan (the Alfred Hitchcock of our time?) who asks more of himself and of viewers. There used to be Joss Whedon, though he seems reluctant to move beyond his "oh, so clever and meta self aware" schtick, that's played out and a stylistic straightjacket. But then there's freaking JJ Abrams, and all his variant, who embraces brainlessness like a second skin.

Ugh. Grow the hell up, America.

(I feel like freaking Ignatius J. Reilly.)

Tell me about it! It is as if every film coming out is about superheroes, robots, or teenagers in dystopia!
hahaha

I got a good laugh out of this article at The Onion
http://www.theonion.com/articles/marvel-reimagines-green-goblin-as-lefthanded,36507/

Marvel Reimagines Green Goblin As Left-Handed
News in Brief Entertainment Comics ISSUE 5029 Jul 21, 2014
NEW YORKIn a month that has already seen several key changes to popular comic book characters, publisher Marvel Comics revealed Monday that a new version of Spider-Man archenemy the Green Goblin would be left-handed. We felt it was time for Marvel to give the Spider-Man series an exciting new perspective, and were confident readers are going to agree when they catch sight of obsessive Oscorp researcher Dr. Charles Lefty Langkowski, Marvel chief creative officer Joe Quesada said of the change, which will come in an issue that follows the left-handed scientist, who accidentally spills a biogenic serum from his clumsy right hand and subsequently transforms into the unhinged, Halloween-themed supervillain. From throwing his signature arsenal of Pumpkin Bombs with his left hand rather than his right, to leaning in the opposite direction while riding the Goblin Glide, its a fresh, new path forward for the character, and everyone at Marvel is excited for fans to follow the Sinister Southpaws reign of terror. Reactions to the announcement have reportedly been mixed, with a number of readers praising the introduction of a more relatable figure, while others expressed frustration that the Marvel Universe still lacked an ambidextrous character.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
#3996089 - 08/15/14 05:15 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
That Onion article is great!!

Yeah, the teenagers in a future dystopia genre is really grating on my nerves and another film of that genre comes out today in theatres! I hope it bombs.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3996129 - 08/15/14 06:33 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
No kidding! Geez, we watched that movie Divergent the other night. Then we saw the trailer for The Giver.
Can we just watch Equilibrium? We already own it, and it's better than these super-kid movies.
I don't argue though, my wife read the Hunger Games, Divergent and shimmery vampire books, so we'll see them all.
It's a hell of a lot better than getting dragged to see Titanic. It's chick scifi, but at least it's scifi.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3996156 - 08/15/14 07:05 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Logan's Run did it decades ago.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3996160 - 08/15/14 07:07 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

It's a hell of a lot better than getting dragged to see Titanic. It's chick scifi, but at least it's scifi.

Why would you get dragged to see a film that was in theaters 17 years ago??

And no, Titanic was worlds better than any of the Twilight flicks. *shudder*

The Jedi Master

#3996195 - 08/15/14 07:43 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Because 17 years ago I got dragged to see it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3996197 - 08/15/14 07:45 PM Re: Comic book movies forever? [Re: No Name]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I think Jedi just pulled a Drax and read things too literally. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.