Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 442 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 441 442
#3989671 - 08/02/14 01:15 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Wow, the Victoria Cross! Wiki said that was the highest military award you could receive!
Congratulations, Robert - even though you will yet have to earn it in our DiD Campaign
Awarding System.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3989672 - 08/02/14 01:24 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Yes Olham, it is the most prestigious award that was confered upon a WWI pilot. Well done Mushroom! However, as noted by our fearless DID Campaign leader, this is only the in-sim presentation of such an honour so you may only celebrate in the sim. winkngrin

While the medal awards system is much improved over how it was in OFF they are still a weak spot that could use tweaking at some point in the future. My DID pilot has so far been awarded the Military Cross once, the Distinguished Service Order three times, and the Victoria Cross twice, and all this with under 100 hours of flying and 24 confirmed victories. Never would have happened in RL, ever.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3989673 - 08/02/14 01:25 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Olham
Wow, the Victoria Cross! Wiki said that was the highest military award you could receive!
Congratulations, Robert - even though you will yet have to earn it in our DiD Campaign
Awarding System.

Yes Olham, I really don't understand why it was issued to Albert. I mean, what criteria did he meet. I would really like to know the WOFF criteria for earing this award. It has me scratching my head. Maybe the Devs could shed some light on how the awards system works.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3989677 - 08/02/14 01:30 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Yes Olham, it is the most prestigious award that was confered upon a WWI pilot. Well done Mushroom! However, as noted by our fearless DID Campaign leader, this is only the in-sim presentation of such an honour so you may only celebrate in the sim. winkngrin

While the medal awards system is much improved over how it was in OFF they are still a weak spot that could use tweaking at some point in the future. My DID pilot has so far been awarded the Military Cross once, the Distinguished Service Order three times, and the Victoria Cross twice, and all this with under 100 hours of flying and 24 confirmed victories. Never would have happened in RL, ever.

Lou;

how does the system work in DiD?

(System_Specs)

#3989680 - 08/02/14 01:35 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

At Olham's request I am acting as the Clerk of Commendations for this DID Campaign. I am using a series of charts I developed a number of years ago for OFF that outline more 'realistic' criteria for the earning of awards by our virtual pilots. I adjust everything up from what would have garnered you such honours in RL and use that, along with historical context based on my goodly number of years studying the subject, and present awards accordingly. Your pilot BTW is likely going to be receiving some new bling very soon based on his record thus far.

Last edited by RAF_Louvert; 08/02/14 01:35 PM.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#3989690 - 08/02/14 01:56 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

At Olham's request I am acting as the Clerk of Commendations for this DID Campaign. I am using a series of charts I developed a number of years ago for OFF that outline more 'realistic' criteria for the earning of awards by our virtual pilots. I adjust everything up from what would have garnered you such honours in RL and use that, along with historical context based on my goodly number of years studying the subject, and present awards accordingly. Your pilot BTW is likely going to be receiving some new bling very soon based on his record thus far.

Lou, thanks for the explanation, as vague as it is biggrin!! You have the making of a politician Sir!!

I can appreciate that the issuance of awards is not cut and dried, but open to the vagaries of the superiors (would a bottle of fine single malt help here?) and I'm sure that is difficult to model in a sim. You Sir, have impeccable credentials and I'm sure you cannot be bribed, baught, or influenced! biggrin

(System_Specs)

#3989691 - 08/02/14 02:00 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Yes Olham, I really don't understand why it was issued to Albert. I mean, what criteria did he meet?

Maybe he is brave as a lion, fought like a lion - and perhaps he even looks like one
(the nickname "Mushroom" suggests a guy with a "lion style" haircut to me).

Naw, seriously - you should enjoy the in-WOFF-medal; your pilot is really doing great
and I am expecting to see more awards and stuff in the future, if only he can make it
to stay alive as long as any possible.

Lou has a WW1 library which the Smithsonian would envy him for, and I trust him,
that he knows - if not all - then still by far the most about the WW1 "bling bling"
(maybe followed by our forum's Hasse) around our ranks here.
So I feel that we are in good hands with Lou's guidelines - even if that should mean
that I might possibly NEVER earn a "Blue Max". biggrin

Now - DiD medal or not - I think you should buy the drinks today, Robert - what do
you say, Lou and all?

#3989697 - 08/02/14 02:17 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Oh yes Olham, he should most certainly be buying the drinks today!

As to the issue of bribery Robert, a bottle of Macallen 21 will in no way affect my considerations when it comes to the awarding of medals, any more than a Balvenie or Mortlach of similar age would. Actually, and bottle of fine single malt older than 20 years from any of the world's top tier distillers will carry absolutely no weight in my decision-making process. Test me on this point ... no really, I want you to.

[Linked Image]

#3989700 - 08/02/14 02:20 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

His Majesty King George V hereby confers the following honours:

A grateful people thank you for your service and loyalty.

#3989701 - 08/02/14 02:23 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

See now, above is proof positive of my integrity. Jim's DID pilot would have received this award whether I'd been sent that Aberfeldy or not.

[Linked Image]

#3989711 - 08/02/14 02:43 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Seriously though, I look at each award situation as a stand-alone assessment based on the information shown in Olham’s chart and that available in the pilot’s after action reports, log entries, and other such postings in the forum here. I then weigh this against historical evidence and records and make adjustments to allow for the fact that we are flying in a sim and not in RL. And yes, the entire process is most certainly subjective to varying degrees. It is not a quick and easy process and I spend on average an hour or more on each award consideration.

[Linked Image]

#3989728 - 08/02/14 03:18 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Jeeze, the time - now I feel guilty for talking you back into that, Lou!
But if I may make you a compliment: without your awarding system and your graphics of the
medals and the notes which come with them, this "DiD Campaign" would be a WHOLE LOT poorer.

As for the bribery: my pilot is too poor to buy you one of those delicate whiskies.
So I guess I'll have to really earn them.

#3989729 - 08/02/14 03:22 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

Seriously though, I look at each award situation as a stand-alone assessment based on the information shown in Olham’s chart and that available in the pilot’s after action reports, log entries, and other such postings in the forum here. I then weigh this against historical evidence and records and make adjustments to allow for the fact that we are flying in a sim and not in RL. And yes, the entire process is most certainly subjective to varying degrees. It is not a quick and easy process and I spend on average an hour or more on each award consideration.

Lou I suspected as much. It is just my wry sense of humour that comes through at times. I must admit I had no idea what went into the decision making process and I must extend many thanks for your involvement. I don't know where you find the time given your occupational commitments, DiD flying time and its reporting, working on those excellent maps you produce, skins and medals you develop and now this effort on awards.
I have to wonder at your efforts. Thanks you very much for all you do for us, it is appreciated very much Sir.

(System_Specs)

#3989731 - 08/02/14 03:25 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh wow, I'm not just alive but I have a medal as well! Well I do have 3 victories and (almost) 25 hours. I now have to go and fly the strutter with 70 RFC and we shall see what happens .... First I have to sew the ribbon on my pyjamas.

And Lou gets it right because as a Sergeant I could not get an MC (or in 1918 a DFC) as only orficers got those. They changed the rules a couple of years ago and scrapped the MM DFM AFM and GM. Now everybody gets the cross (but not retroactively). Some of the best RAF pilots got the DFM before getting commissioned. Lacey, Kingaby for example.

The VC was the odd man out in that all ranks could get it if they were courageous and lucky and mad enough.

BTW Lou's job is much harder than mine because I take NO decisions - I just produce charts on what you pilots send to me.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#3989732 - 08/02/14 03:28 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Scout, that was a nail biter to watch! very nice touchdown and no fences to deal with.

Thanks Robert. Unfortunately for me the landing was the only good flying I did in the entire fight! Congrats on the VC.

Sorry for your loss - or do I detect a hint, that Addleson might escape in 10 days???

After Albert's minor wounds heal, I think his chances of making a successful escape are quite good. Sometimes you just have a feeling about these things smile

#3989734 - 08/02/14 03:36 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: 77_Scout]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Originally Posted By: 77_Scout
Scout, that was a nail biter to watch! very nice touchdown and no fences to deal with.

Thanks Robert. Unfortunately for me the landing was the only good flying I did in the entire fight! Congrats on the VC.

Sorry for your loss - or do I detect a hint, that Addleson might escape in 10 days???

After Albert's minor wounds heal, I think his chances of making a successful escape are quite good. Sometimes you just have a feeling about these things smile

Yes but he is out of action for 15 days so it seems.... I sometimes think these 'wounded' days are a pity for our DID Campaign because you might get mighty bored waiting for those days to pass.

I thought that maybe you could take on another pilot and carry on. Except Olham will have you shot at dawn or even earlier. However, you could take on another ID (ie 78Scout) and then have 2 pilots in the Campaign. I see no rule against that. (Now Olham will shoot ME at dawn!) Or maybe Olham2 will do it!

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#3989757 - 08/02/14 04:21 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: JimAttrill]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
Originally Posted By: 77_Scout

Yes but he is out of action for 15 days so it seems.... I sometimes think these 'wounded' days are a pity for our DID Campaign because you might get mighty bored waiting for those days to pass.

I thought that maybe you could take on another pilot and carry on. Except Olham will have you shot at dawn or even earlier. However, you could take on another ID (ie 78Scout) and then have 2 pilots in the Campaign. I see no rule against that. (Now Olham will shoot ME at dawn!) Or maybe Olham2 will do it!

rofl

(System_Specs)

#3989764 - 08/02/14 04:43 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Augustus Snodgrass
Sgt, Rfc
70 Sgn

2 Aug 16.

Remarks: 8 e/a engaged.

I was Tail end Charlie for B flights 4 machines while A flight put up 2 a/c for Top Cover (6) on a hop behind the lines to Mons-en-Chaussee Aerodrome. Top Cover was far behind, as we attacked a Roland over the base. Soon, 5 Rolands came rushing down ( Top Cover ?) in the swrilling mess I fired 82 rds, Rear gunner got off 12 Maybe 3 hit a camo a/c . Rat a tat tat 4 hits from my six, 2 Fokkers ( E-IV Jasta 1 ?) sat back there. Dove and ran for it.

Results: B Flight Lost 1 dest +2 damage w a pilot Wnd. Huns ? maybe 1 + damage.

Last edited by carrick58; 08/02/14 04:46 PM.
#3989808 - 08/02/14 06:53 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Offzstv. Bernhard Harms, Kasta 18, Pronville, 2. August 1916

Yesterday's afternoon sortie went fine - we reached the lines totally unmolested and
took our photographs and made notes about the trench systems at Athies, east of Arras.
We didn't see a single Englishman.
I was wondering why, but Lt. Leber seemed to know. "It was 15:30 h - that must be the
Englishmen's tea time!" Sounded believeable to me - we should always fly at half past
three then!

This morning, we made our observations at Mercatel, south of Arras. I lead our flight
of three Rolands. Approaching the lines, I spotted 5 specs over the area and so I led
my flight south and into some light clouds. We approached Merctael from the south now,
while our specs were 3-4 kilometers north of Arras.
We could just grab our informations, when they returned, flying south along the lines.
Our Flak fired some black puffs to warn us, and I went into a fast descend towards
Pronville. When we dive, we are faster than any Nieuport, but these guys followed us
all the way back to our field, where they received a "warm reception" - our Flak and
machine guns all fired after them.
Lt. Leber should have been the last to land, but since two of our three persecutors
had turned and run back to the lines by now, Leber turned and engaged the last N 16!
Immediately the guy turned round and ran after his comrades - he didn't seem to have
expected such a cheekiness from a two-seater pilot!

#3989817 - 08/02/14 07:29 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Congratulations on all the shiny medals folks. No matter what the process for awarding medals, may I say,"Hell of a job Lou!"

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
Page 73 of 442 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse