Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3972119 - 06/24/14 08:07 AM Join a U.S.-based Virtual Squadron flying DCS World  
SkyKnight Offline
SkyKnight  Offline

The “Black Knights” are a U.S.-based virtual squadron that has flown together online for over 11 years. We’re a friendly ,close-knit group of dedicated virtual and real-world pilots who enjoy flying combat missions cooperatively together as a team, in a professional manner. The squadron is currently flying missions in DCS World, featuring the A-10C, UH-1H, Ka-50, and Su-25A/T

Squadron members design our own elaborate missions and campaigns in which to fly, featuring realistic depictions of historical and current conflicts as well as fictional ‘what if’ scenarios. They all share a singular focus on cooperative, squadron vs AI, air-to-ground.

A by-invitation-only squadron, the “Black Knights” are once again accepting pilot candidate applications to fill a limited number of openings in the squadron.

If you're passionate about DCS and looking to take your experience to the next level, we may be just the group for you.

Candidates must be willing and able to commit on a regular basis to participating in squadron Mission Nights once a week, on Monday nights, from 20:00 – 23:30 Central Time. Qualified candidates will be invited to an online interview and may be asked to undergo a checkride with the squadron’s Training Officer to assess their proficiency.

For more information on joining the Black Knights Squadron, please visit our website.

SkyKnight
CO Black Knights

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3988397 - 07/30/14 05:20 PM Re: Join a U.S.-based Virtual Squadron flying DCS World [Re: SkyKnight]  
SkyKnight Offline
SkyKnight  Offline

*bump*

We are still actively recruiting.

#3988574 - 07/30/14 10:40 PM Re: Join a U.S.-based Virtual Squadron flying DCS World [Re: SkyKnight]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
I can never get to your site. I tried when you first posted this and again today.

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
#3989128 - 08/01/14 12:16 AM Re: Join a U.S.-based Virtual Squadron flying DCS World [Re: SkyKnight]  
Hoogs Offline
Hoogs  Offline

Canada
Same here Fridge

#3989308 - 08/01/14 01:29 PM Re: Join a U.S.-based Virtual Squadron flying DCS World [Re: SkyKnight]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
you're page loads for me, but the site is VERY slow...

Honest feedback:
If you're having trouble getting recruits (sounds like you are, as your site shows you're well short of a typical 12 ship squadron), it's possible you're being a little strict with your reqs. For example, you say you won't take anyone under 21 years of age.

So a 20 year old who's dedicated to flight sims won't make the cut? confused

This feels like a misguided attempt to ensure immature players are filtered out. As someone who devoted a lot of High school to CAP and pursuing a USAF career (before medical conditions got in the way), I can assure you there are teens out there who would be commited to this level of training, and would still bring the level of maturity your expecting of your squadron. Not all of them are the Call of Duty tweens that give that age group a bad name.

And frankly, this requirement is just silly:
"[Must] Reside in the United States. Apologies to our brothers abroad, but D.O.D. security clearance obligations prevent us from accepting non-U.S. citizens."

Uh-huh. rolleyes

To really drive this point home, (and do please forgive me for taking an immersion crushing step backwards to view the big picture), but basically you're saying you won't let anyone under 21 or outside the US play video games with you online.

To be clear, I get the whole check ride, 90 day probation period, and weekly commitments thing: You don't want fair weather pilots, but people who actually want to devote time and effort to honing the craft of flying and fighting, especially as a coherent, fluid team. To be sure, this is an attitude that warrants respect. These software titles take themselves seriously, and your taking immersion to the next level by taking them seriously.

And that's pretty awesome smile

But, it also means people like me, who aren't quite ready for that level yet, will instead seek the more friendly environs of a training/causal squadron. We'll cut our teeth here, make friends, and get comfortable. That means we probably won't be tempted to jump ship.

So what about a "farm team" squadron, for people to transition from basic flying skills (TO, Landing, basic weapons employment, etc) to more advanced flying (better coms usage, formation flying, team tactics, etc), and as those skills progress use this as a base from which to pull your Black Knights?

Just my $0.02 anyway.

Best of luck with your squadron, and happy hunting.

tomcat

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4010276 - 09/15/14 09:47 PM Re: Join a U.S.-based Virtual Squadron flying DCS World [Re: SkyKnight]  
SkyKnight Offline
SkyKnight  Offline

What can I say, we are what we choose to be. We make no excuses. Some folks are looking for the casual experience, some want a training wing to nurse them into a sim, others prefer as hard-core and realistic an experience as possible. There are a variety of public and private multiplayer servers/squads/clans/groups/wings for virtual pilots to pursue, based on their skill, interest and comfort level. No one size fits all. Different strokes for different folks.

No need to criticize an organization's fundamental values under the guise of calling it "your $0.02" if it's something you have no interest in joining anyway. Calling out requirements as silly without understanding the reasoning behind them is ignorance.

Our squadron is not for everyone, and we know that. We’re not trying to be everything to everyone. It’s not who we are. While we do pursue training on new modules and advanced tactics when required, we don't offer a training wing. We have chosen to devote our time and focus to flying combat missions cooperatively on the one night we fly each week. While we fly a variety of DCS World modules, our baseline aircraft remains the A-10C for now, so we require a candidate to be able to fly and fight in it. Otherwise, it’s unfair to expect them to perform at the same level as the rest of the squadron.

The Black Knights have been an active virtual squadron for over 11 years now. That’s longer than most virtual squadrons can claim, and longer than the lifespan of most software companies whose sims we flew during the hey-day of PC flight simming in the 90’s. Our format has served us well.

Our squadron offers a unique experience. One of camaraderie and friendship… of membership and ownership in something… of passion for the sim and genre… of teamwork in accomplishing the mission objectives, and the opportunity to fly in a professional manner with like-minded folks. It’s an experience like none other, and one that certainly cannot be found on a public server.

If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, please consider submitting an application.

SkyKnight
CO Black Knights

#4010663 - 09/16/14 08:08 PM Re: Join a U.S.-based Virtual Squadron flying DCS World [Re: SkyKnight]  
Apache600 Offline
Apache600  Offline

Sacramento, CA
PM sent

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.