Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3987506 - 07/29/14 01:21 AM crossing over to the dark side...macbooks? imac?  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

As per my recent woes, I'm thinking I'll say goodbye to PC and try Mac. I want something that is more likely to just work, and I no longer need a computer for gaming.

I am not even sure of what questions I should be asking. I guess a few basic ones...

Would a Macbook be likely to have either mini display port or dual link DVI? That's a must, to drive my HP ZR30w monitor at 2560x1600. HDMI and VGA are out.

Would my MS Natural Keyboard Pro and Razer Naga mouse work, and would my Windows formatted HDDs and SSDs be read by the Mac OS?

Sure would be nice to be able to use my MS Office 2013 suite, too.

Hmm, liable to be other considerations, but that's what I can think off the top of my head. No longer need to know if HOTAS and TrackIR are compatible.

Thanks.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3987959 - 07/29/14 07:16 PM Re: crossing over to the dark side...macbooks? imac? [Re: No Name]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I don't know that a PC laptop wouldn't offer you the same thing for less. A lot of your problems came from having a desktop, but Mac hardware is no more reliable than PC.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3988218 - 07/30/14 09:43 AM Re: crossing over to the dark side...macbooks? imac? [Re: No Name]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
I thought Mac hardware = PC hardware on the inside (that was not always the case, but is now). The Mac OS is a version of Unix (like Linux) that Apple has modified over the many many years. Consequently, one can load the Windows OS on a Mac (there is a special way to do that). My son does that with his Mac laptop. Then, PC software can be run.

Since Mac and PC are so alike, both can have problems. It is said Mac OS is easier to hack (for the nefarious). But, they don't bother as often because Apple is such a small percentage of the market that there is less money to be stolen.

A PC or laptop running Linux is an option (depending on one's problems). So, free Linux on your current machine could be an option -- to the degree that the Windows OS causes issues for a user. I have Ubuntu Linux as a triple boot on my Steam OS computer (also runs Windows 8.1). Ubuntu seems very decent. It comes complete with loads of free software (e.g. LibreOffice) that I prefer to the Microsoft products (and I use much of that same software on my Windows 8.1 machine).

Just random thoughts from an Apple non-expert.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#3988304 - 07/30/14 02:19 PM Re: crossing over to the dark side...macbooks? imac? [Re: No Name]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
I'm very Mac savvy,

There are certain things that I like about OSX, although you do pay more per pound of computer on a Mac rather than a PC.

Typically a Mac would last you longer too (although I think that's more to the steeper entry price, making them less disposable)

You can get whatever adapters you need to go from Mini Display Port to DVI/HDMI/VGA. No issues there. I guess it all really comes down to how portable you need this machine to be. If you're not gaming, grab yourself a 13" Retina, don't worry about your existing HDD's. Put them in enclosures or something.

Keep in mind when ordering certain Macs, you cannot upgrade the RAM at a later date. Do a custom build on the website, and spec it out properly, rather than buying straight away from the store and then regretting it 2 years from now.

#3988980 - 07/31/14 05:37 PM Re: crossing over to the dark side...macbooks? imac? [Re: No Name]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Unless you hate Windows for whatever reason there is no advantage to a high end laptop from another brand. Apple is a bit more pricey. $1,500 for a 13" with a 2GHZ i5 if I recall from what I saw yesterday at the store.

I've really had essentially zero issues with Win 7 since I got it. This would push me towards retaining Windows; although I have had some issues with Windows 8. But I believe that was related to mods I ran such as Classic Shell. Which I still run...

And if you don't like having problems, throw out your Razer mouse. Razer is known for their junk quality. One of the first few results in google when typing in "Razer" is "Razer quality control is bad". My Blackwidow keyboard died in under two months. It just sat on my desk with average use. The bloatware they require is a joke as well and I never even got it to properly install itself.

#3989439 - 08/01/14 06:28 PM Re: crossing over to the dark side...macbooks? imac? [Re: No Name]  
MonsterZero_jr Offline
MonsterZero_jr  Offline

Chicago area, USA
Using MACs causes baldness in men. Fact.

#3990632 - 08/04/14 05:26 PM Re: crossing over to the dark side...macbooks? imac? [Re: No Name]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Macbooks run Windows 7 very, very well. Not sure how everything else would port over into OSX, but you could look into running a dual boot.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3991429 - 08/06/14 01:32 AM Re: crossing over to the dark side...macbooks? imac? [Re: No Name]  
Phoenix Offline
Phoenix  Offline

Pepper,

I've been using both on a regular basis for many years now. It's mostly a matter of preference. Like others have said, keep in mind that you can easily run Windows on a mac too.

- To answer your question on file systems, you'll be able to read your ntfs windows-formatted hdds, but not write to them. There may be some kind of driver out there that you can install on OSX that will let you do both, but you'll want to google that.

- If you buy a newer mac retina, you'll get a thunderbolt port or two (that you can plug a mini-displayport-to-dual link DVI adapter into). You'll also have a Thunderbolt port -- which is fast, fast fast. smile -- in addition to an HDMI port and a USB 3.0 port (or two). You'll like Thunderbolt for an external raid enclosure like you were looking for earlier.

There are only three issues I really have with Macs. The first is price, but that's already been mentioned. Second, is the short length of the standard AppleCare warranty (1-year). Last, is how proprietary the OS and hardware are. You're going to have a much more limited choice of software and peripheral devices in OSX. Moreover, you will not be able to upgrade a modern Macbook's hardware, because that is also very proprietary or unchangeable. Memory is soldered onto the motherboard, batteries are literally glued to the cases and storage consists of this Apple-customized off-shoot of mSATA SSDs that are incredibly expensive. Point being, if your battery ever dies or if you need more memory or hard drive space, you can either upgrade or pay Apple $500 to install special new Apple stuff. If you were planning on buying a tablet or thin notebook, you may have run into these problems anyway.

Personally, I'd look at a used 2011 MacBook Pro with an i5, put in a regular SSD and 8GB of mem. If you want to splurge on the latest in greatest, just get the newest generation of Retina. Do *not* buy the first gen of Retinas (we bought 13 and have needed 13 repaired due to random power and video issues.)

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.